• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More XBox layoffs incoming

Sorcerer

I wonder if Phil Spencer looks at himself in the mirror Travis Bickle style and says:

"You talking to me? You talking to me?
In the end--I've said over and over--I have to run a sustainable business inside the company and [help it] grow, and that means sometimes I have to make hard decisions that, frankly, are not decisions I love, but decisions that somebody needs to go make,"

Proceeds to shoot the tv.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

She/her better learn to code.
6Iqqdsr.png

Glass houses and all that jazz....

b06a8cc47aebcaeaff8cf93d58435221e8b1b616.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.webp
Didn't realize Gojiira Gojiira works for PlayStation. Thanks for outing him.

Last edited:

Braag

I feel like the next 10 years are gonna be rough for the people who have created their personality around pronouns and LGBTQ rights. Once these big corpos which are just large soulless engines created to make money and they realize that this whole DEI thing ain't working.

They do, it's become so apparent at this point it's beyond parody. It's pure activism that serves no benefit, for anyone.

It's just detrimental for everyone.

Oh I know. I don't have friends that are extremists. I really can't stand those people because they act like we should have more rights than regular people. I personally believe that we just need to be treated the same and that's it.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its pretty much a corpo mandate to put pronouns in bios for easy identification......you dont want to accidentally say She when the person identifies as a He or They or whatever (its effectively getting in before the problem, misgendering someone even on Twitter can cause so much unnecessary backlash that its easier to just know what the person wants to be called and keep it at that)
As for controlling colored hair..........mate, that crazier than the people on team woke who you think are trying to thought police you.

We'd also be losing one of the baddest baddies in GameDev who always colors her hair.
@Thick Thighs Save Lives should be proud.

EwPNuJS.jpeg

9e5EI1v.jpeg

You can reverse image search if you want to find her.
I mean...dudes without pronouns in bio probably don't care? Why enforcing this stupid shit on them?

If you read a pronoun you use that but if you don't read anything just trust the name\pic of the dude\chick to know the gender.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Its pretty much a corpo mandate to put pronouns in bios for easy identification......you dont want to accidentally say She when the person identifies as a He or They or whatever (its effectively getting in before the problem, misgendering someone even on Twitter can cause so much unnecessary backlash that its easier to just know what the person wants to be called and keep it at that)
As for controlling colored hair..........mate, that crazier than the people on team woke who you think are trying to thought police you.

We'd also be losing one of the baddest baddies in GameDev who always colors her hair.
@Thick Thighs Save Lives should be proud.

EwPNuJS.jpeg

9e5EI1v.jpeg

You can reverse image search if you want to find her.

Why doesnt this person have a head?

Buggy Loop

If they just fire everyone with people hair and pronouns in their bio I’m actually pretty okay with it.

Was about to say

These studios are probably filled with demanding purple hair devs who « work » at home. Firing peoples is natural after so many buyouts. They identify the key leaders and devs to make a game work and the others are just dead weights.

Mr Moose

>More Xbox layoffs
> Only a sngle Person on Twitter

Haha
Microsoft Layoffs

Microsoft fired around 1,500 employees, significantly impacting divisions such as the mixed reality team responsible for HoloLens 2. This move comes after an earlier round of layoffs in which Microsoft laid off more than 10,000 employees, highlighting continuous restructuring efforts within the company. The Azure for Operators and Mission Engineering teams also experienced considerable downsizing, affecting hundreds of employees.
Might be related, not sure.

damidu

Why would anyone consider a buyout by Microsoft at this juncture?

That's not to say Sony hasn't done their share, but for Xbox it's seemingly every other month these days.
lol do you think the people raking in the buyout money, and the ones losing their livelihoods are intersecting sets in any way?

StueyDuck

Why would anyone consider a buyout by Microsoft at this juncture?

That's not to say Sony hasn't done their share, but for Xbox it's seemingly every other month these days.
When being bought out, it's not always clear what the parent company has in mind for the product/service.

I currently have a close friend who is the CCO of their company and after being bought out the director of the parent company has told them to axe most their staff down to like 20 people from a company of just over 100.

This has put him and the CEO in a shitty position and it's affecting him mentally since he doesn't want to just kick 80 to the curb.

Jaybe

Gold Member
So she was a culture lead. What does a culture lead do?

Sorry, she was Senior PM of Culture Programs. Still don't understand what she did there.

She probably worked on these DEI initiatives since she’s got Xbox’s “Gaming for Everyone” shirt on, and that’s the name of the program:

Create a product experience where customers feel they belong.​

What this means:

We create product experiences with respectful expression.

• Respectful expression shows up in multiple facets of our work including:
    • Creators - Ensuring we partner with and support a diverse community of content creators.
    • Content - Ensuring our content tells stories that resonate with our diverse player base in-game, and in our marketing.
    • Players - Ensuring our players feel seen and connected to meaningful experiences.
  • We bring to life people and cultures within our products, from many diverse perspectives, recognizing that there is not a single portrayal of a person that could represent an entire community or culture.
Chart showing that >70% of PC and Console gamers rated diverse characters and diverse stories as extremely or very important.

Source: 2022 Google PC & Console Insights Report

Getting Started with Representation​

How can you help customers feel belonging in your product experience?​

Questions to Consider​

• What steps have you taken to ensure characters are represented respectfully and authentically?

• Are you telling new stories or sharing new perspectives within the product experience?

• How have you validated assumptions you have made about your audience to check for blind spots or unintended stereotypes?

• Would you feel proud to show a member of a community how their culture/character is depicted within your experience?
  • How are the wide range of customers depicted within your products and communications?

• Do all of your characters/player depictions look the same?

• What process have you used to validate how different groups of people or cultures are represented in your experience?

• Do you have a process to review key decisions with the lens of respectful expression?

Metrics: Measuring Progress​

The metrics below are meant to help jumpstart thinking about how a team might measure inclusion for Representation. Think of it as an example and go beyond it to find the metrics that work best for your project. Engage Data Science and User Research teams to see what data is available to you. If the data you need doesn’t exist yet, it’s a prime opportunity to start tracking it and understand how to open a door to Representation!
  • Demographic User Data: Breakdown of the product user base by demographic factors. Essential for understanding if the product resonates with a diverse audience.
  • Community Engagement: Participation rates of underrepresented communities in forums, beta tests, or co-creation initiatives. Active engagement suggests that co-creation efforts are effective, leading to a sense of belonging among participants.
  • Sentiment Analysis by Demographics: Analysis of user sentiment segmented by different demographic groups. Helps identify if certain groups have less positive experiences.
  • Inclusive Content Ratio: The proportion of content featuring or catering to underrepresented groups. Measures the extent of representation in the product's content.
Xbox Store Multicultural Collections

The  Xbox Store multicultural collections help players find content that’s meaningful to them.

Xbox Publishing Partnership with GLAAD

Xbox Publishing has a ongoing partnership with GLAAD to bring more LGBTQIA+ stories to our players.

And under: “Help Customers Feel Seen”:
Create & surface content that depicts diverse characters, stories and creators

• Create playable characters that reflect the broader population. Review how identities represented on screen (gender identities, races, sexual orientations, ability status, ages, and body sizes) match up to the broader population. Make sure that characters are not tokenized or stereotyped based on their identities.
  • Review how identities represented in your product such as gender, race, sexuality, nationality, cultural, ability, age, and size compare to the broader global player population. Be intentional about which identities are present and highlighted according to what’s right for your product and market.
  • Make sure that characters are not tokenized or stereotyped based on their identities. No person or character can be a monolith to represent all people with that identity.
  • Practice inclusive casting for any talent required to bring representation to life in your product.
  • Validate your execution for your Inclusive Listening Systems (consultants/advisory councils, user research).

ZhxZ7Ir.jpeg

Last edited:

Pelta88

Spend 100 Billion on publishers then gut studios. While paying an audience to cheer the announcement that you bent the knee to the competition… That you claim isn’t really competition - The Saga of Phil

The Gamepass model is a failure. Training your “customers” not to buy games is an awful strategy. AAA ROI is hard enough even when you actually sell games.

Microsoft have made the brand boring in my opinion. I’m thankful for that showcase because more often than not , the talk is either how you play or where you play rather than what you play.

Top Bottom