• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Remaster Being Teased By Studio CEO

Draugoth

Gold Member
MKRemaster-1.jpg

Mortal Kombat could be the next classic game franchise to get the remaster treatment.

In something that somehow flew under the radar, Eyeballistic CEO Joe Tresca took to Twitter in late June to tease something that his studio is apparently working on. That tease came with a screenshot from an “updated” version of Mortal Kombat 2.

“I’m not sayin, but just sayin, we might be cooking up something special over at Eyeballistic,”

he said.

Immediately, the response from people in the replies was mixed. Some seemed excited about the possibility of a remaster while others criticized the shared image due to it appearing to have heavy AI elements.

Source

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What’s this from exactly? Surely this isn’t the remake they’re talking about, right? What is this?

The CEO of a small studio teasing it on their twitter that they're cooking something MK related and posted those 2 pictures. His tweet / profile is embedded in the post.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
What’s this from exactly? Surely this isn’t the remake they’re talking about, right? What is this?

IMO these are AI images (Sub Zero has 6 fingers lol), but they may very well be doing something! These are the people that pitched an HD MK (original arcade version) and got all the way to him showing it to Ed Boon and Ed liking and the project being temporarily green lit before WB killed it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
IMO these are AI images (Sub Zero has 6 fingers lol), but they may very well be doing something! These are the people that pitched an HD MK (original arcade version) and got all the way to him showing it to Ed Boon and Ed liking and the project being temporarily green lit before WB killed it.
Lol I thought they might be AI when I first saw them.

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind a real remake of MK2/3 with their modern fighting engine. Or at least the one from MK9.

begotten

It's a reminder of when the franchise was good, before it lost its way, with the time travel loop in the recent entry

I don't mind the lore.

The problem with MK is it's just shit to play. I'm sick of all these tie in characters too. MK1 amplifies the issue when the roster sucks and they have good characters as fucking Kameos.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Honestly, you don't want to replay the original Mortal Kombat.

Mortal Kombat 2 is so defensive you won't want to play it for long neither.

Speak for yourself. Myself and many oldies like me cut our teeth in arcades playing the 1st 4 MK games to death. They're excellent games for what they are, with each one after the 1st incorporating new elements, and gameplay.

But why?

MK has a much more casual audience.
That want the cinematic heavy gameplay, the 10 hours long X-Ray and Fatalities, the Story Modes.

Maybe the classic fans will appreciate it. And I'm not a against a Mini Remaster Collection, with MK 1 - 3. That's cool.

I just don't think there's a significant audience for those games anymore.
But I might be totally wrong.

I'd certainly be first in line for some true remakes of 1, 2, and 3 but what's posted in this thread looks like some shitty AI up-rezzed trash.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Remakes/remasters have been around as long as gaming has.

What's wrong with a legitimate all time classic getting a fresh coat of paint?
All time classic Dead Rising a must as well?

Just feels like the more people bend over and take it from these creatively bankrupt devs, the less new games we will see from those big devs. We were already getting less games from them. Now it feels like they’re 20x slower.

FeralEcho

Just feels like the more people bend over and take it from these creatively bankrupt devs, the less new games we will see from those big devs. We were already getting less games from them. Now it feels like they’re 20x slower.
Eyeballistic is a no name dev....Let them cook an MK remaster If its what they want, it's not like it's taking ANY resources from Netherrealm so I really don't see the issue here...And even if it was.... It's not like Netherrealm would suddenly stop making Mortal Kombat so your complaint really has no being in an MK thread as it's already a franchise waaay past the point of burnout.

GHG

Gold Member

I'm. Actually quite looking forward to the dead rising remaster, so where it applies (as in when they remaster a game I'm interested in) maybe I'm part of the problem.

Personally I don't see the issue, if you don't like/want the remasters/remakes then don't get them. It's not like there's a shortage of new original content also coming out.

Kings Field

Modern MK peaked with 9 and X. 11 and MK1 are trash.

The oldies are still classics and should be remembered that way. Modern day NRS is hot garbage and far from their days of Making 9 and X and even Injustice 1 and 2.

I dont need a remake because it will have that uncanny valley look since they were never real 3d characters. They need to bring back Mortal Kombat Arkade collection. It had all 3 games with perfect filters, looked great on a huge screen, like in the arcades. These GOG and whatever versions look like shit. They are pixelated, blurry, I mean they are DOS versions. I want a proper arcade 1 to 1.

SkylineRKR

I've been waiting years for a proper MK4 conversion. Its not like the game was a total flop in the arcade and on consoles, yet its been ignored full stop ever since. MK4 had very responsive controls, I always found it to be a joy to play. Even though it was broken. Return of gory fatalities.

UMK3 is my number one MK game. Probably followed by 4.

thief183

Nah, they aren't going to improve the animation, just like how Street Fighter 2 was done. Just the same animation frames in HD, which actually looks worse for me.

This is how a 2D MK remake should look:

68819.gif
Where is this from? It is amazing!

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
If they are serious then they better do Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The first installment is trash. The second has frustrating A.I. and movement problems.

MK2's AI is very beatable once you know the patterns. You can do the jump towards the opponent, and then jump back, and then the AI jumps towards you and you can punish the AI easily.

MK3 and UMK3's AI was cheap on another level lol.....Ed Boon was having a bad day when he coded that shit LOL The UMK3 AI would input read like a mf and the AI could literally pull off moves that you couldnt.

splattered

You have to think though there are younger generations that haven't experienced a lot of these games and they sold well the first time around so why not take a chance and see if lightning can strike twice for some of these games/franchises? Doesn't bother me either way I've been gaming since early days of atari so if someone makes something that doesn't interest me I just don't play/buy it. *shrug*

Last edited:

nkarafo

That's from the canceled 3D remake (you can download its prototype from here -> https://www.dsogaming.com/news/you-...rsions-of-the-hd-fan-remake-of-mortal-kombat/ ).

Funny how people find it now amazing when back then they were calling them "mobile" graphics.
Thanks for the link. This looks way better than the Twitter screenshot:

4CGBDFc.jpeg

I wouldn't say this looks like a flash/mobile game. In motion at least it's great. It doesn't use crappy skeletal animation like 100% of 2D moblie games.

I couldn't figure out how to use a different character though, shouldn't Scorpion be there?

Edit: Here's a video as well:

Last edited:

SaintALia

Thanks for the link. This looks way better than the Twitter screenshot:

4CGBDFc.jpeg

I wouldn't say this looks like a flash/mobile game. In motion at least it's great. It doesn't use crappy skeletal animation like 100% of 2D moblie games.

I couldn't figure out how to use a different character though, shouldn't Scorpion be there?

Edit: Here's a video as well:

Don't know about 'way better'. In motion it very obviously looks like it's 3D models, which kinda defeats the purpose I would imagine. Digitising real life actors and doing them in HD seems more in line with a 'true' MK1 remaster. Though, I think you'd be limited by the real life actors you get for the job.

Also the background and foreground looks pretty rough. NGL tho, I'm not too thrilled with the idea of playing a MK 1 or 2 again. Those games were great back in the kid when I was growing up and there wasn't too much competition around, but these days I'd rather just replay a remaster of MK Trilogy.

Top Bottom