• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
MV5BMjI0ODcxNzM1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzIwMTEwNDI@._V1_.jpg

This was a great movie. Very human, and while not a comedy, it did make me laugh out loud several times.

This movie is in My Top Ten Favorite Movies of All Time. Such a great movie that has a vicious bite to it. I saw most of the directors other movies and loved them too but this one is his best

Doom85

This movie is in My Top Ten Favorite Movies of All Time. Such a great movie that has a vicious bite to it. I saw most of the directors other movies and loved them too but this one is his best

I thought this movie was excellent, but I give the edge to Seven Psychopaths. Everyone is so brilliant in their performance, the comedy is top notch but there are legit emotional moments that work, and while the whole cast rocks I would say in particular Christopher Walken gives his best performance I’ve seen from him along with having the best written character he’s ever played IMHO.

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Reagan. I liked it and it is interesting to see what I lived retold. Acting is good. The makeup de-aging is rough in places. But overall it hits the high points.

Jaybe

Saw “Am I Racist?” with my wife this afternoon. Half-full theatre. I laughed pretty hard through a lot of it, especially some bits near the end.

Andyliini

Priest

I have never seen this film before, and it still felt somehow nostalgic. I guess it's because of this is the style of movies I used to watch alot 10-15 years ago. The film is schlock, but entertaining if you turn your brain off. Film was about a killing machine, dubbed a Priest by the Church, who fight against vampires in an apocalyptic world with western elements. I can't call ot a good film, but I had fun watching it.

Vyse

Gold Member
Transformers One. Animation was great and like others have said, it was much better than I thought it would be. Props to Chris Hemsworth, dude does not pass on a paycheck!

clarky

Gold Member
4Ujqmnc.png

Go in blind. Don't watch trailers or read reviews.

Not a perfect movie but very refreshing.

Curious to see what that director does next as he made it on my list of Day One watches which includes:

-Ari Aster
-Yorgos Lanthimos
-Robert Eggers
I almost watched that last night, instead I watched

mXgR6KY.png

Sounds like I made the wrong choice because this was disappointing. Started off ok but descended into a series of very stupid decisions on a level not seen since A Quiet Place. Mackenzie Davis will not be up for any awards for pulling the same face over and over for an hour.

Shame, had potential but ultimately missed the mark. 2/5.

Last edited:

Jaybe

The Critic

Ian McKellan stars in this adaptation of Curtain Call. I’m not sure about the book, perhaps it’s much better but this was a letdown in most parts aside from the prior piece aspects.

2/5

I almost watched that last night, instead I watched

mXgR6KY.png

Sounds like I made the wrong choice because this was disappointing. Started off ok but descended into a series of very stupid decisions on a level not seen since A Quiet Place. Mackenzie Davis will not be up for any awards for pulling the same face over and over for an hour.

Shame, had potential but ultimately missed the mark. 2/5.
I watched the original, and had the same opinion on the stupid decisions. It was clear the social allegory took precedence over writing realistic characters.

Vyse

Gold Member
I watched the original, and had the same opinion on the stupid decisions. It was clear the social allegory took precedence over writing realistic characters.
Saw Speak No Evil last night and quite enjoyed it. Felt that the trailers showed to much of the movie. I thought it was acted well and had some very intense scenes.

Have not watched the original which I heard was preferred over this version.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Civil War (2024)

Hot off the Alex Garland mention, loaded this up.

In the first few minutes I rolled my eyes a bit at the seemingly idealized portrayal of journalists—knowing journalists—but I trusted Garland to bring an intelligent and thoughtful screenplay, and he nailed it again.

The film deftly avoids the usual partisan bickering and portrays a modern American civil war as something fairly plausible: an authoritarian overreaches, fractures the country, and the most powerful states step in to take care of business.

The story arc for the journalists is quite good and the final act knocks it out of the park. Despite the somewhat low budget, there’s no bad CG and it gets a lot accomplished, though it is mostly a road trip to get to know the characters, alongside the main character of war-torn America.

Feels like the core takeaway intended by Garland is to show how grim it would all be if we went down this road. As it definitely would be. Maybe as a way to deescalate recent civil tensions.

Quite the bleak portrayal of the war journalists themselves, too, as thrill-seeking, self-interested, and voyeuristic.

Big thumbs up.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Huh, first I’ve heard of this, but Karl Urban confirmed it so it’s apparently true. Maybe my most rewatched movie of the past ~decade.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Quite the bleak portrayal of the war journalists themselves, too, as thrill-seeking, self-interested, and voyeuristic.
This is ultimately why I didn't like the movie, the protagonists just put themselves in these situations for their own selfish reasons and I felt like the film was wanting you to think they were suffering for some noble task. I just found them pretty annoying throughout and it soured the whole movie for me.

Mossybrew

Watched The Boy and the Heron with my daughter last weekend, and we couldn't even finish it and turned if off halfway through. Just an intensely boring mishmash of standard Ghibli themes and imagery with no interesting story or characters to support them. We've been fans of the studio since we first got My Neighbor Totoro on VHS like 20 years ago, and we know they are no longer in their prime (The Wind Rises was mediocre but we at least finished it). This is a sad new low.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Fired up X2 last night for the first time since, fuck, probably the early 2000s

Man it holds up great. The Nightcrawler intro is still badass, Pyro is still super cool and its wild to see such a younger Jackman.

Back when Marvel was good. Xmen and Tobey Maguire Spidey was all I needed.

Top Bottom