• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

ithilion

Banned
Another good one is exhuma 2024. A horror from korea with choi min sik. Is no the wailing but i found incredible. 8.5/10

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I rewatched Men, an Alex Garland movie from a while back. I never got to see it in a complete viewing - was interrupted with work and what not back in the day and had to watch it in like three segments.

Pretty imaginative way to showcase a character's romantic relationship and struggles with self doubt and regret. I didn't get the weird supernatural stuff. I understand it's some kind of folklore or mythology from England, but it just seemed out of place. It was also super gross at the end.

Pretty good movie. 3/5

calistan

I rewatched Men, an Alex Garland movie from a while back. I never got to see it in a complete viewing - was interrupted with work and what not back in the day and had to watch it in like three segments.

Pretty imaginative way to showcase a character's romantic relationship and struggles with self doubt and regret. I didn't get the weird supernatural stuff. I understand it's some kind of folklore or mythology from England, but it just seemed out of place. It was also super gross at the end.

Pretty good movie. 3/5
I liked that, but the last part was so repugnant I remember texting my friend in horror as soon as I'd watched, but now a couple of years later I can't quite remember what happened. Something about a man giving birth to something nasty. This is the brain's way of coping with trauma (I'm totally going to watch it again this weekend).

Jessie Buckley is great in that kind of 'outsider' role. Really enjoyed her performance in I'm Thinking of Ending Things, and she's also brilliant in Wicked Little Letters.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I liked that, but the last part was so repugnant I remember texting my friend in horror as soon as I'd watched, but now a couple of years later I can't quite remember what happened. Something about a man giving birth to something nasty. This is the brain's way of coping with trauma (I'm totally going to watch it again this weekend).

Jessie Buckley is great in that kind of 'outsider' role. Really enjoyed her performance in I'm Thinking of Ending Things, and she's also brilliant in Wicked Little Letters.

Yea it was a series of male characters giving birth to men, out of their bungholes, who were representative to the various eras of her relationship with the guy from the start of the movie. Just weird and gross.

oiGRyei.jpeg

Freaking loved it. One of the best movies I have seen in years. The story and action were so good. Saw it on Prime Video.

Andyliini

Beetlejuice Beetlejuice

While missus is a huge fan of the original film (and Tim Burton in general), I have seen it only once, some 5 years ago, perhaps. I can't remember much of it, so I probably wasn't a huge fan. This one I found to be more fun, with lots of humour, and interesting twists. The first half was a bit dry, but for the entire second half I found myself grinning of chuckling at the movie. I was thoroughly entertained, and that's what I was looking for.

Vyse

Gold Member
I was probably the only person that went to see the new Crow movie. I actually kinda liked it. Seen much worse and expected it to be shit. So I was pleasantly surprised. Plus it’s super hot in Vegas and they had air conditioning.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
Amerikatsi: a decent drama/comedy without any pretentions. A bit sentimental towards the end, but I did enjoy it overall. 3.5/5

Last edited:

Wolzard

Neo Member
Perfect Days (2023)

Wonderful film, super pleasant to watch, shows the simple routine of a bathroom janitor who appreciates small details in everyday life. It's poetry in motion, whether due to the beautiful scenery of Tokyo or the soundtrack that matches the scenes. There isn't much dialogue, several scenes you understand through the context of the scene.

Aguirre, the Wrath of God (1972)

In the 16th century, the ruthless and insane Don Lope de Aguirre leads a Spanish expedition in search of El Dorado.

A very immersive film, director Werner Herzog's characteristic is to make very long, atmospheric scenes, with a lot of use of ambient sound.
This makes the plot evolve in an interesting way, as exploring the Amazon is complicated and this is reflected in the Spanish soldiers, who will do anything in search of gold.
It had me hooked from beginning to end.

Zulu (1964)

It's like a Western, but in Africa. Here it shows a real battle, between the Zulu tribe in South Africa against the British Empire. Film straight to the point, without any fuss. Some performances are pretty bad, but they make the film fun (British humor). The soundtrack is sensational, very epic.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
American Skin ... I don't know how anyone else here would like it but the story was a sad one. Yes, it deals heavily with race and the way police see Latinos and Black folks and the way they react to them and also how situations are spun. Some things are kinda illogical but most of it is more about what people think and feel... It's drama. I give it an 7.5/10. Good movie.

ExA30s9.jpeg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Beetlejuice 2 turned out well it is just a fun movie Tim Burton was trying things, you’re on the edge of your seat tied with my favorite movie this year (Dune 2).

Wolzard

Neo Member
Of Mice and Men (1992)

A nomadic farm worker looks after his dimwitted, gentle-giant friend during the Great Depression.
Very interesting drama, the kind where you are left in doubt about the characters' choices, as they are a bit difficult to deal with.
''Tell 'em 'bout the rabbits, George''. :messenger_crying:

Last edited:

Andyliini

Mars Attacks!

I have read about this, and as it is some sort of a cult classic, I decided to get is. Blu-Ray was cheap as well, so no regrets there. I'm not sure if I liked it or not. It was supposed to be a satirical comedy, but I didn't find myself laughing very often. On the other hand, I never did feel like I should turn it off, and was slightly amused by all the (probably intended) dumbness of the film. CGI has certainly dated, and I would have liked a little bit more reason for Martians to attack, but nevertheless. It would also have been interesting to see some behind the scenes stuff, but sadly there are no special features on the disc.

calistan

I watched Daddio (2024), which is an extended conversation between a cabbie and a passenger, and followed it up with Night on Earth (1991), which is five conversations between cabbies and passengers taking place at the same time across the world.

Two good films. I was surprised by Daddio - it really is just 90 minutes of increasingly personal confessional between the driver and the fare, but it's not boring. Dakota Johnson is sexting her married lover while she talks, and Sean Penn tells her exactly how it is from a man's perspective, as they wait in traffic for an accident to be cleared off the highway.

Night on Earth is a classic that I hadn't seen in ages. A tomboyish girl cabbie who's noticed by a Hollywood talent scout but is utterly uninterested; an immigrant cabbie in New York who can barely drive, and lets his streetwise passenger take over; a Parisian driver who kicks out his disrespectful passengers and pick up a blind woman; a totally unhinged driver in Rome who picks up a priest and confesses some depraved sins involving a pumpkin, a sheep, and his brother's wife; and a cabbie in Helsinki who tells his sad story to a bunch of drunks.

Recommended for a taxi-themed film night. If you only watch one of the Night on Earth stories, make it the Italian one.

UhHhEDF.jpeg

Strange Darling: Low-budget thriller about a one night stand-turned-rampage with outstanding performances by the two main leads. They conveyed an emotional inner depth that you don't usually see come across, making for an immersive experience.

Doesn't have much rewatchability, but for a one-time view, it's well worth watching.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm watching Rocky (the original) on AMC right now. The characters of Rocky and Apollo are amazing... Both of them are smart and protective and have emotional intelligence (mostly)... It made me tear up when Rocky was disgusted at the bartender and stood up for Adrianne. And Apollo (so far in the movie) spots Rocky and chooses him for the match. So much respect for them both... I think my feelings are affected more because we lost Carl Weathers earlier this year. This is the kind of drama movie we need back in theaters. These characters (all of them) mean something and the performances hit EVERY TIME!

I love Paulie, man! He's such a good soul!

Last edited:
I'm watching Rocky (the original) on AMC right now. The characters of Rocky and Apollo are amazing... Both of them are smart and protective and have emotional intelligence (mostly)... It made me tear up when Rocky was disgusted at the bartender and stood up for Adrianne. And Apollo (so far in the movie) spots Rocky and chooses him for the match. So much respect for them both... I think my feelings are affected more because we lost Carl Weathers earlier this year. This is the kind of drama movie we need back in theaters. These characters (all of them) mean something and the performances hit EVERY TIME!

I love Paulie, man! He's such a good soul!

Fourth Rocky Film is still my favorite

American GIF

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
i watched The Voyeurs last night. with Sydney Sweeney.

thought it was good and didn't expect the ending.

going to try watch Longlegs tonight. tried the other night but kept falling asleep (not because of the movie)

Last edited:

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
What was the best part of the movie? Was it the ending or was it something else?
near the end because that's when you see her boobies finally.

jkjk

i guess it was a bit silly and some parts were hard to believe. i suppose the big ending reveal was silly too in a way but i didn't see it coming and i liked it.

they move in and start noticing people across the street having sex in their apartment. at first it seems innocent and funny but then she gets addicted to watching them and get pleasure out of it. you just know something is gonna go wrong but it doesn't....until it does.

not saying you're gonna watch it but i don't want to spoil it lol. looking at reviews it doesn't seem to be well received but i thought it was good.

Last edited:
near the end because that's when you see her boobies finally.

jkjk

i guess it was a bit silly and some parts were hard to believe. i suppose the big ending reveal was silly too in a way but i didn't see it coming and i liked it.

they move in and start noticing people across the street having sex in their apartment. at first it seems innocent and funny but then she gets addicted to watching them and get pleasure out of it. you just know something is gonna go wrong but it doesn't....until it does.

not saying you're gonna watch it but i don't want to spoil it lol. looking at reviews it doesn't seem to be well received but i thought it was good.

Sydney Sweeney voice is so grating. Feels like a SNL skit level effort every time I hear it. She might be a good actress but her voice or line delivery is so lazy

Billbofet

Rebel Ridge
Strong first half and amazing, First Blood buildup vibes that lead to a pretty lame second half.
The lead actor is great, and I would say overall it's totally worth a watch. I just wanted way more to happen in the third act.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Green Room

Gnarly stuff. The build-up wasn't really all that interesting so I was wondering where it would lead to. At least it delivered an entertaining 2nd and 3rd act.

Eden Lake

That ending was fucking dreadful. Didn't care about the rest of the movie

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Watching A Bronx Tale

I'm not done with it yet but this little love story/gangster story is... amazing! Taral Hicks is GORGEOUS! ... The boy is torn between wanting to look a certain way in the neighborhood and getting good advice from Sonny and his father. Will edit when I finish the movie.

I can't believe this was so long ago... And Taral is 49 now! And STILL looks gorgeous!

Edit: just finished (about an hour ago) the ending was bittersweet. Not sure how she gave him another chance after
saying the N-Word at her brother
but hey, it's the movie.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Rebel Ridge
Strong first half and amazing, First Blood buildup vibes that lead to a pretty lame second half.
The lead actor is great, and I would say overall it's totally worth a watch. I just wanted way more to happen in the third act.

I really want to see this. Is it like Taken/The Beekeeper?

Billbofet

I really want to see this. Is it like Taken/The Beekeeper?
No, it's a lot more like First Blood and the combat is more martial arts/realistic. It's cool how he talks through his tactics and reasoning throughout.
It's not over the top like Beekeeper or Taken, but has great tension. Good stuff.

I couldn't put my finger on the feel of the movie, but once the credits rolled and I saw it was Jeremy Saulnier, I was like, "Ahhhh, that's it"
This guy directed Blue Ruin, Hold the Dark.

Well this came out of nowhere but Rebel Ridge on Netflix is one of the best movies Ive seen in quite a while.

Disagree

Rebel Ridge

Agree

The final act was braindead really. Lead actor was awesome and it feels like he really didn't get to fully spread his wings due to poor direction/script for the final act.

Roberts

Watched one of the few Johnnie To movies I hadn't seen before: Running on Karma. Andy Lau running around in a very fake beefcake bodysuit and it somehow miraculously works. Amazing mixture of HK comedy, gravity defying antics and ending as an existential art film.

I also absolutely adored La Chimera which is like a weird and hypnotising euro art-house Indiana Jones.

Boozeroony

Gold Member
I also absolutely adored La Chimera which is like a weird and hypnotising euro art-house Indiana Jones.
One of my favourites this year.

Tatami: An Iranian judoka faces a rival from Israel during the world championships. The Iranian government tries everything stop the match, while the judoka is not succumbing to the pressure of the government. 4/5

Last edited:

Jaybe

Saw Better Man at TIFF. It’s a Robbie Williams biopic starring a CGI monkey as the lead singer. Should go wide release Dec/Jan. It’s visually striking, some fun, but drugged out depressed stars don’t make for that much of an entertaining film for me.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Shawshank Redemption I think it stands the test of time, Andy's mind is messed with by the inmates, trying to get under his skin, and Andy ends up being the master manipulator.

Shawshank Redemption Film GIF

I think jail movies can make people uncomfortable but it's still a good movie even now.

EerieArcade

Neo Member
Oh, I also watched Dracula from 1931. I really enjoyed it despite its age. Pretty sure you could see the wire attached to one of the bats. Tell you what though...I adore those old movie sets. They're infinitely better than what we have today. There's just no charm or character to modern horrors.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Trap
I took my daughter to see this. Wow, what a wild, ridiculous ride this one was.
This movie takes some BIG swings and misses almost every pitch, but I can't say I didn't have a good time.
The theater was pretty packed and almost every person at one point said, "WTF!", or "Come on!!!", or "HUH!!?!?!?!"
I cannot believe this movie was made as is. Aside from Josh Hartnett, the acting is trash across the board, the dialogue is inhuman, the law enforcement logistics make no sense, and it has about four different endings.

I think I fucking loved it....

Also, one of the best mid-credit scenes in a while.

I also want to be clear: I would not recommend this movie to anyone, and I can't wait to see it again.
I just watched the movie last night and I thought it was a decent watch. Lady Raven was a little insufferable, but I never realize Josh Harnett was such a good actor. He really played the part well.

Andyliini

Bullet Train

Something very strange was going on with this film. It was difficult go follow beautiful of that. All those codenames talking shit to each other for two hours was fsr too long to keep my interest, they should have cut about 20 minutes off. I don't think it would have performed well at box office either, but covid totally sank this film.

Doom85

Just finished watching Mother!

Typical Aronofsky fever dream stuff. Metaphors all over the place etc.

I hated the feeling it gave me

I admit, I was a little lost as to what it was about for the first third of the film or so.

Then the outsider man and woman return with two sons of theirs, and I suddenly started thinking, “wait a minute. The man and woman were kicked out due to messing with a glass fruit…..” Sure enough, one son kills the other. Then not too long after, there is a “flood” and I got what the movie was going for. Javier Bardem is the only character, “Him”, whose “name” is capitalized in the credits IIRC (everyone else is mother, man, woman, older brother, younger brother, etc.) just to make it very clear the metaphors weren’t coincidental. The working title for the film was Day Six. I know the director has chosen not to specify the themes and metaphors in interviews, but come on, this is pretty obvious (assuming one knows the basics of the Bible).

I do love the directing, really nailed making me feel uneasy even when nothing is really happening. But, “Christian extremists suck for twisting what should be a message of love; humanity sucks for fucking up Mother Nature”, pretty standard themes.

From the director, I’ve only also seen Requiem for a Dream and Black Swan, but I felt those films offered more unique messages (sure, drug abuse being bad is standard, but Requiem delivered it in such an unapologetic cruel way) than “mother!”

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Just finished watching Mother!

Typical Aronofsky fever dream stuff. Metaphors all over the place etc.

I hated the feeling it gave me

I will NEVER watch that movie again... It was so disturbing to me! Like Event Horizon!

I'm currently re-watching Shang-Chi... I forgot how great the choreography was... It's a good fun movie. It instantly reminds me of Jackie Chan's Hong Kong movies

Billbofet

My friend invited me to see this during its limited, one week run in theaters.
It's about the 1982 Milwaukee Brewers run at the World Series.
Now, maybe it's because I grew up amid all this excitement back then here in Milwaukee, but this documentary was phenomenal. I think anyone would get something out of this.
Can't wait to watch it again with my son. It got dusty in the theater a few times.....

Top Bottom