• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murder Miners |OT| Halo + Minecraft = Profit?

wwm0nkey

In the trailer it looks like you guys have Complex from Goldeneye/Perfect Dark. Anyway I could get that?

PtLxG.png

I have that and Complex, will be on later after some Armored Kill :)

had some fun games last night with Risen, Tunavi, and Blinding, and even saw wwmonkey for part of a game.

Overall I like this a lot, but there are a couple things it needs

1) default weapon starts and weapons on the map. As much fun as it is starting with a sniper, it gets a little old after a while
2) no aim acceleration. hitting anything is really difficult
3) I have no idea how the Minergun works. Sometimes it's a blaster, sometimes it's a rocket launcher, and sometimes it seems to want to build maps

On the other hand, the movement in the game is really good, with the evade system working really well in particular.

Also, JFizzle, I found a bug in the Start Session screen, when I went to the 20 in the part where it specifies the number of players allowed. I hit A on that number and a Number Out of Bounds Exception and it's accompanied stack trace showed up and the game crashed. No idea if it's an isolated incident but there you go

Overdoziz

Banned
3) I have no idea how the Minergun works. Sometimes it's a blaster, sometimes it's a rocket launcher, and sometimes it seems to want to build maps
Use the D-pad to navigate the little screen on the weapon. Pressing B switches between building and destruction mode. If design mode is off in the settings you can't build and if the blocks on a map are locked you can't destroy anything.

Some kind of campaign support would be amazing. Even if it's just being able to have a start point and an end point that would load the next map. And a few enemies+AI.

Use the D-pad to navigate the little screen on the weapon. Pressing B switches between building and destruction mode. If design mode is off in the settings you can't build and if the blocks on a map are locked you can't destroy anything.
I think if design mode is off then those options shouldn't be available

I'm kind of a nerd when it comes to UI

also I realize this is a beta so I don't mean for my posts to come across as serious criticism, just stuff that can be worked on as is possible

Is there any way to buy small increments of MS points? Im only 100 points short, and really don't want to have to spend any extra money if possible. School, transportation, food and bills have me super picky about how to spend my money lately.

Can I get Guardian off you sometime?

What other Halo maps do people have? I have Lockout, Chill Out and Hang em High, im also trying to remake The Pit.
Yeah sure, I should be on late ish Pacific tonight. I only have Guardian and Lockout

Nothing is stopping you. :)
I'm still busy creating Sanctuary. I've got one base, a sniper tower and half of the middle ring done.
I'm so bad at making maps though

Anyone having trouble logging into MM too? I click to launch it, then it says:

"The game has unexpectedly stopped working. Please try it again. If problems persist, please contact the creator of the game.

Code 3."

Mr. JFizzle, any idea?

JFizzle

Neo Member
Anyone having trouble logging into MM too? I click to launch it, then it says:

"The game has unexpectedly stopped working. Please try it again. If problems persist, please contact the creator of the game.

Code 3."

Mr. JFizzle, any idea?

Had a few people report this. Code 3's are bad, looks like. Are you launching it differently at all? Any guest profiles signed in or anything?

EDIT: might be a solution in this thread

I know how to get past the error code if you're just trying to play the game. All you have to do is when you start up the game, when the indie game title screen pops up you unplug your xbox from live and it will start up the game for you without signing you out, and yes you can get back on live after you do this without it kicking you back to the xbox home. Though, I have the beta update so I'm not sure if it will work with anybody who doesn't have it.

Are you able to launch any other indie games you've bought?

Had a few people report this. Code 3's are bad, looks like. Are you launching it differently at all? Any guest profiles signed in or anything?

EDIT: might be a solution in this thread

Are you able to launch any other indie games you've bought?

The only thing different is that I'm part of the new dashboard beta so I'm testing out the new features and stuff. Any similarities with other people getting this error? Also, how bad? Will I always have to do that trick if it works?

Thanks a lot for your help btw.. really appreciate it.

The only thing different is that I'm part of the new dashboard beta so I'm testing out the new features and stuff. Any similarities with other people getting this error? Also, how bad? Will I always have to do that trick if it works?

Thanks a lot for your help btw.. really appreciate it.

I have the beta and was able to launch fine yesterday. There was an update today but I haven't tried to launch the game. I'll see if it works tomorrow.

I have the beta and was able to launch fine yesterday. There was an update today but I haven't tried to launch the game. I'll see if it works tomorrow.

Yeah I had to update the game then this happened.. Thanks in advance for letting me know.

I'm still on Reach btw if you're on. If not, maybe next time then :]

Overdoziz

Banned
I had the same problem with my Sanctuary remake and Bobs with his The Pit map. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that blocks are fairly small so you feel like you're placing a lot of blocks but the length isn't that long. I had to start over with my map after some time when I found out it was essentially a mini-Sanctuary. I'm pretty happy with the scale of the current version though.

How did I miss this, saw the thread on my phone at work and only just remembered it, will give the trial a shot right now and if I like the shooting, 240msp is nothing really for a fun game.

*edit* I like it, the shooting feels solid and well it's great fun, only played online once so far as there is a lack of users online right now but no problems.

I had the same problem with my Sanctuary remake and Bobs with his The Pit map. I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that blocks are fairly small so you feel like you're placing a lot of blocks but the length isn't that long. I had to start over with my map after some time when I found out it was essentially a mini-Sanctuary. I'm pretty happy with the scale of the current version though.

Crappy quality but I am working on a Zanzibar remake, already spent 4 hours in this but I have no idea if I will finish as the map feels too small :(
Awesome.

How did I miss this, saw the thread on my phone at work and only just remembered it, will give the trial a shot right now and if I like the shooting, 240msp is nothing really for a fun game.

*edit* I like it, the shooting feels solid and well it's great fun, only played online once so far as there is a lack of users online right now but no problems.
There have been a group of us play somewhat regularly. Feel free to message any of us in this thread.

Also, Unknown, I'm away from my xbox right now. I will check on that update asap this afternoon.

JFizzle

Neo Member

Actually you can still build with design mode off (but minergun's energy is limited). But if the blocks are locked you can't build.

Darknuke

Neo Member
Bad first post!

Both are really fun and good for different reasons, one plays like CoD the other plays like Halo.

Lol I would've posted a lot more but it took like 3 months for my account to be approved, then I went inactive for a long time. Arg.

My problem with Murder Miners is they stole the idea of Guncraft and rushed out Murder Miner's before Guncraft finished.

Back in like February, when Guncraft was running private alphas, JForce joined the game and played around. It was only like 3-4 months later that they posted their first rough video about Murder Miners.

As much flak as Guncraft gets for being too much like Ace of Spades, it was at least an original idea that didn't come from playing that game beforehand and deciding to rip it off. It was an idea created purely off the fact that we wished we could blow up the awesome maps people make in Minecraft.

I suppose Guncraft will inevitably be more polished and well rounded than Murder Miners (since we have a bigger staff), but it still really bothers me that JForce took advantage of our early development like that. It's one thing to clone a game that's been released or is well into development, like Guncraft is now, but to rip a game off that's still in its private, early stages is just plain unacceptable.

Also, to you mapmakers. I'd really suggest making them in Guncraft. There will be a FAR bigger community and us devs will promote your map for you on PC AND Xbox (assuming it's well done ;) ).

Overdoziz

Banned
Lol I would've posted a lot more but it took like 3 months for my account to be approved, then I went inactive for a long time. Arg.

My problem with Murder Miners is they stole the idea of Guncraft and rushed out Murder Miner's before Guncraft finished.

Back in like February, when Guncraft was running private alphas, JForce joined the game and played around. It was only like 3-4 months later that they posted their first rough video about Murder Miners.

As much flak as Guncraft gets for being too much like Ace of Spades, it was at least an original idea that didn't come from playing that game beforehand and deciding to rip it off. It was an idea created purely off the fact that we wished we could blow up the awesome maps people make in Minecraft.

I suppose Guncraft will inevitably be more polished and well rounded than Murder Miners (since we have a bigger staff), but it still really bothers me that JForce took advantage of our early development like that. It's one thing to clone a game that's been released or is well into development, like Guncraft is now, but to rip a game off that's still in its private, early stages is just plain unacceptable.

Also, to you mapmakers. I'd really suggest making them in Guncraft. There will be a FAR bigger community and us devs will promote your map for you on PC AND Xbox (assuming it's well done ;) ).
I like Murder Miners because it reminds me of Halo 1. The Minecraft part is just a bonus. Honestly I'm not a big fan of being able to create and destroy blocks during matches so I turn that off every time I set up a server. Your game looks like it mixes modern shooters with Minecraft which doesn't appeal to me personally.

Also, I'm pretty sure there have been enough other games that combined Minecraft and shooters before. I remember playing one quite a while ago, can't remember what the name was though. I'll try and look it up.
Edit: Turned out to be Ace of Spades. Gameplay was decent, maps were shit though, especially once they were mostly destroyed.

I dont want this post to come across the wrong way, because I totally feel for you, but for me, and I imagine a lot of the people who brought Murder Miners - we did so because it plays a lot like Halo 1. Theres no other way to get anywhere close to a Halo 1 experience on Xbox Live, so this game is perfect. I actually care very little for the map creation aspect and Im willing to bet that the block aspect is less of a selling point for this game, I mean a lot of the guys I play with play with destructible blocks off. Of course its awesome to have such a flexible map editor, one which allows us to make Halo 1 maps - but blowing those maps up isnt the unique selling point for Murder Miners - the Halo 1 gameplay is.

It still sucks that they took the unique selling point of your game and took it to market in a rush, but if its any consolation... that unique selling point probably hasnt stolen your audience (hopefully)... its the Halo guys on here who seem to be into the game for the Halo aspect. I really hope Guncraft works out well for you guys, and builds up an audience around the Minecraft style gameplay it has going on. Its a really cool idea... whoever thought of it first. A lot better/ more flexible than the map editors most AAA games have! Again though, that type of game isnt something im interested in... I only got Murder Miners because I really just want my Halo fix!

Top Bottom