• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Adnor

Banned
Horikoshi has shown that he's a good writer, I'm sure Bakugou will have some character growth before the manga is over.

Horikoshi has shown that he's a good writer, I'm sure Bakugou will have some character growth before the manga is over.

Hell, he's already gotten some, he's coming to terms with the fact that he's not quite as good as he thinks he is, and more to the point, other people can be at least that good too.

SalvaPot

Basically "I fell in love with the bad boy without realizing he's dull as rocks and will leave my ass as soon as he gets bored".

When you spell it out like that, it sounds actually very realistic. Huh.

What about Invisible Girl with Laser Guy? One reflects light, one shoots light. Also they are both show-offs. They go well together.

Cerium

I'll admit, Sarada is like the only redeeming thing about End!Manga Sasuke.

And her relationship with Boruto is totally healthy and not stupid. I really like that it's her dream to become Hokage and it's his dream to support her. They're doing much better than their parents.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Post training camp ochaka is similar to sakura haruno.

Lets be real, if you really start to think about it, Boku Hero wears its Naruto influence so on its sleeve that you might get characters names mixed up isn't that right Fourth hokag-I mean All Might...

The odds are still good that the Traitor Kaminari Theory is real right? That thing is still my favorite piece of fan theory i've seen during this year

This is kind of weird, but my big reason for thinking its going to happen involves Blue Excercist. Incidentally, I think people in this thread should check it out. They've always felt very similar to me, but at the moment I can't really articulate why, but it might be how they handle their ensemble?
So in Blue Excorcist this exact thing happens. Down to a T. There is a character who is kind of jokey and easy to not really pay attention to and he turns out to be a double agent in a genuinely well done and kind of amazing twist. One of my favorites in a manga tbh and instantly jumped that character to one of my favorites in general. Now as to why I think because it happens here it'll happen in Hero is a bit harder to explain? This is way more hunch teritory, but I think the two authours work on very similar brain waves and while they probably don't directly look at each others work, I don't think it's unreasonable to look at things happening in one manga and to expect similar things to happen in the other.

Crocodile

toga_s_basement_by_archvermin-danjetr.jpg

Messed up but I can see this being the case in the manga

Source

but yeah the past few chapters have been great/hype!

If Bakugou gets someone, it'll be a Sasuke/Sakura pairing, where it feels like a complete gimme.

Nah the only hypothetical pairing I will accept is Bakugou with some hardass, raging bitch :p

It's the only thing that makes sense.

cntr

Banned
Post training camp ochaka is similar to sakura haruno.

Lets be real, if you really start to think about it, Boku Hero wears its Naruto influence so on its sleeve that you might get characters names mixed up isn't that right Fourth hokag-I mean All Might...
sometimes I'm genuinely baffled by what people think

How does either of these make any sense except in the vaguest way possible?

FlowersisBritish

sometimes I'm genuinely baffled by what people think

How does either of these make any sense except in the vaguest way possible?

I... wait what? About the dumb little joke? Or do you actually not see the influence Naruto has had on this manga? Because from its characters to the structure of some of its arcs you can really see a love for Naruto in them and an attempt to build upon what it loved about them while still keeping true to its own tone.

cntr

Banned
In what way are the Fourth Hokage and All Might similar? And do people not read other shounen? They're all common shounen tropes, not things Naruto invented.

I get that there's certain similarities, but MHA really excels in all the way it subverts and distances itself from its influences. Like, compare/contrast Sasuke getting captured by villains and how that plays out vs. Bakugou.

I don't really see the characters and setting taking similar arcs at all.

I get that there's certain similarities, but MHA really excels in all the way it subverts and distances itself from its influences. Like, compare/contrast Sasuke getting captured by villains and how that plays out vs. Bakugou.

I don't really see the characters and setting taking similar arcs at all.

Todoroki is more of a Sasuke than Bakugou, I think, or would he be a Neji.

Veelk

Banned
I feel it's hard to make adequate Naruto connections because of how it's quality dropped down past the Mariana Trench toward the end.

The most connections we can make is in the abstract. You have an intense and antagonistic rivalry in Midoriya and Bakugou, but you have a more distant rivalry with Todoroki who has severe emotional issues from a mark left by his father figure like Neji. But the devil is in the details and while you can draw similarities, there are also contrasts.

When you get down to it, something like "Rivalry with main character that also has elements of friendship" is a common trope (Goku and Vegeta, Lelouch and Suzaku, Light and L, Guts and Griffith, and so on) and "Pissed at father/family figure" (also many examples I don't feel like writing out) is a common trope.

FlowersisBritish

I was typing out a post earlier that was going to explain the joke, but then I thought about it seriously, then started to write down those thoughts and that post was becoming surprisingly long, but I had to do stuff, so I left before I could finish it. And then, through out my day, I thought about Naruto more and more and the connections literally piled up so high I honestly wonder if any of you guys have actually read Naruto? And the longer I stared into the abyss, the abyss started to whisper back...

"Believe it..."

I looked down at my hands, now filled with comparisons ranging from "Stretch Armstrong" to "Plagiarism? In my Boku No Hero? Boku No Thank You!" and I realized my life had fallen through my fingers and this is what was left...

I've got to sort out some affairs and more important obligations, so give me between a week and a month(or two?) and I am going to write you all an essay on the similarities between Boku no Hero Academia and Naruto. Complete with character analysis, text analysis, complex break downs of themes, tropes, motifs, the whole nine yards. I might even get spicy and put in some flow charts.

cntr

Banned
I like how Todoroki alternates between getting over his dad and then falling back a bit, that's a really realistic depiction of how such things go.

and it's infinitely better handled than either sasuke or neji

Cerium

I like how Todoroki alternates between getting over his dad and then falling back a bit, that's a really realistic depiction of how such things go.

and it's infinitely better handled than either sasuke or neji

Well, Endeavor is still alive, and he's still there whenever Todoroki has to go back home.

In a perfect world, every character would escape the horrible clutches of kishimoto

I would've thought that you'd like Sarada. She's precisely the type of female character you praise.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, but it's rare seeing the "two steps forward, one step back" thing be done. It's even rarer for it to not be annoying.

Veelk

Banned
I would've thought that you'd like Sarada. She's precisely the type of female character you praise.

Oh, I stopped reading Naruto years ago. I only followed it second hand, hearing the awful things Kishimoto did to his story.

I read a chapter here and there out of morbid curiousity, but I haven't actually sat down and read Naruto in years.

All I know is that by the time I dropped Naruto, I considered Kishimoto one of the worst writers I've ever read. I recently had a buddy of mine watch the entire Naruto anime (I'm currently trying to get him into MHA, so he may be joining us soon), and he agreed it was that bad. One day, when I truly have more time on my hands than I need, I'll reread the entire Naruto manga, and make a long ass thread about how bad it is. But for now, I happy only taking potshots at it from a distance.

cntr

Banned
random thing I noticed recently

There don't seem to be any elemental manipulation quirks. All the elemental quirks are element production, like Todoroki can only create ice, he can't manipulate pre-existing ice, Inasa can't manipulate wind, he can only produce wind, and so on.

wonder if it's a coincidence?

Laiza

Funny that the first thing I see when I first jump into this thread is an entire page of Naruto comparisons.

I guess the apple can't fall far from the tree, huh?

The current Boruto manga is written by someone else, isn't it?
Correct. It's being written by Ukyō Kodachi. Kishimoto is still credited as a supervisor, however.

cntr

Banned
Funny that the first thing I see when I first jump into this thread is an entire page of Naruto comparisons.

I guess the apple can't fall far from the tree, huh?
Not really, when that page is "the Naruto comparisons are stupid".

Cerium

Oh, I stopped reading Naruto years ago. I only followed it second hand, hearing the awful things Kishimoto did to his story.

I read a chapter here and there out of morbid curiousity, but I haven't actually sat down and read Naruto in years.

All I know is that by the time I dropped Naruto, I considered Kishimoto one of the worst writers I've ever read. I recently had a buddy of mine watch the entire Naruto anime (I'm currently trying to get him into MHA, so he may be joining us soon), and he agreed it was that bad. One day, when I truly have more time on my hands than I need, I'll reread the entire Naruto manga, and make a long ass thread about how bad it is. But for now, I happy only taking potshots at it from a distance.
Naruto became a hot mess no doubt, but Sarada has a great design and a great personality.

She's both powerful and intelligent, talented and hardworking, serious but not stiff, and she has a full emotional range. Her ambition to become Hokage defies the legacy of her family, and her obvious mutual crush is fully supportive of her dream despite himself being the son and grandson of Hokages. Neither of them are fawning or simpering. They respect each other and it's very refreshing after the dysfunctional and unhealthy obsessions of their parents.

cntr

Banned
You know, if elemental manipulation and elemental production quirks are separate, Todoroki is really goddamn OP.

If Endeavor set something on fire, or if Todoroki's mom created an ice wall, they're screwed. Only Todoroki is able to put out the fire or melt the wall. He's more flexible than either of his parents ever could be.

Veelk

Banned
She's both powerful and intelligent, talented and hardworking, serious but not stiff, and she has a full emotional range. Her ambition to become Hokage defies the legacy of her family, and her obvious mutual crush is fully supportive of her dream despite himself being the son and grandson of Hokages. Neither of them are fawning or simpering. They respect each other and it's very refreshing after the dysfunctional and unhealthy obsessions of their parents.

That's great and all, and if another writer is writing Boruto, maybe it has a half chance at being good, but I don't really believe in good characters in a vacuum. You can make an appealing personality in a vacuum, sure, and that's basically how you are trying to sell Sarada.

But if a character is well written, that quality is going to be pervasive of not just a single character, but the narrative as a whole. So if I were to sell Midoriya, I would sell him on the same terms I'd sell the entire manga: That it's a realistic, believable coming of age story framed in a superhero context full of characters who feel believable, have depth to them, and change as the story goes on.

That description fits not just the main character, but Midoriya, Bakugou, Ochako, even usually unchanging figures like All Might or the villain Handyman (I don't think I'm ever actually going to learn his real name). Describing Midoriya using just his basic personality traits (loyal, brave, clever, well intentioned, has insecurities etc) wouldn't actually tell me anything about the quality of writing, because I've read both fantastic and awful stories about that.

But anyway, you you don't have to sell me on Naruto (or in this case Boruto). Naruto was my gateway anime and manga, so it occupies a special place in my heart, despite it's horrific end. I'll come back to it one day, just as a way of closure, and continue to read Boruto just for the sake of completion. So I'll get to Sarada eventually. Good to hear that apparently the poor sap that got stuck with that Donald Trump campaign-esque dumpster fire that is the Naruto world is doing alright for himself.

Veelk

Banned
I think Uraraka's power should be eventually to manipulate gravity completely. Right now she can either float or not float. But if she can manipulate gravity to make things pull and push (sorta implied in her bakugo fight already), it could make for some really awesome fights.

cntr

Banned
I prefer the limited powerset 'cause it's more fun, but Uraraka's already powerful with the martial arts/zero gravity. She could actually defeat Noumu if she got close enough.

she'll learn to be more clever with it, though

Why does everything come back to Naruto

Why does it have to poison the well of every manga discussion

Why are my eyes bleeding blorghurgh

Veelk

Banned
Why does everything come back to Naruto

Why does it have to poison the well of every manga discussion

Why are my eyes bleeding blorghurgh

It's probably the gateway drug for many others like it was for me, and as a result we instinctively compare not just MHA, but many other things to it. I did it myself a few times while reading MHA.

Top Bottom