• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Since the guy with multiple arms can change the ends into different body parts couldn't he change them into... ahh there is already a perverted comic with this premise isn't there?

cntr

Banned
I think Horikoshi mentioned in an extra that Shouji's arms work with any part of his body

just in case you wanted to know, I guess

Bakucrew for the winter. https://twitter.com/takarakhiroaka/status/801447000688340992
Cx9PxTUUQAACO6y.jpg:large

Lunar15

I've really liked how Bakugou, as unlikeable and insane as he is, is both an outcast for his ways (unusual for a rival character in a shonen) but also has his own group of friends who are neither lackeys nor separate from the rest of the group.

He's been one of the most fascinating characters in the whole manga, for me.

cntr

Banned
I like the dynamic where Kaminari and Sero hang around Bakugou mostly to annoy him, but Kirishima was actually nice to him and ended up being the only one Bakugou saw as a friend.

Cerium

I've really liked how Bakugou, as unlikeable and insane as he is, is both an outcast for his ways (unusual for a rival character in a shonen) but also has his own group of friends who are neither lackeys nor separate from the rest of the group.

He's been one of the most fascinating characters in the whole manga, for me.

He's too much of a dick to convincingly be popular in a class where everyone is talented and he's not anything really special. It's basically a reflection of how star students from middle school can go to an elite high school and get whiplash when they realize everyone there is as talented as they are.

Todoroki is the cool rival everyone loves. What I like though is that Midoriya never really had to win him over, it was Todoroki who reached out to him first.

Veelk

Banned
I think no one dislikes Bakugou personally because he's an indiscriminant dick. He'll be himself to anyone equally, something he proved with Ochako's fight. Even if people don't like him for that, it's enough to not garner any personal hatred. Midoriya is the one exception, but Deku don't care.

Lunar15

I think no one dislikes Bakugou personally because he's an indiscriminant dick. He'll be himself to anyone equally, something he proved with Ochako's fight. Even if people don't like him for that, it's enough to not garner any personal hatred. Midoriya is the one exception, but Deku don't care.

I don't think people hate him, it's more that he's basically a joke. His behavior is so ridiculous and most of the world calls him out on how unreasonable he is. I really like this.

Even the Villain Alliance thought he'd be easy to convert just due to how brash he is. Turns out he's just brash to everyone, so he was a dick to the villain alliance as well.

The author is doing some great things with the theme of young people constantly having to both live up to and subvert the expectations placed on them. There's multiple characters we've seen likened to villains that have, so far, resisted that temptation. Even Deku had to realize that his goal wasn't to BE all might, but that he'd have to forge his own path.

Veelk

Banned
I don't think people hate him, it's more that he's basically a joke. His behavior is so ridiculous and most of the world calls him out on how unreasonable he is. I really like this.

That's what I'm saying, no one has anything personal against him. They just see it and go "Bakugou gonna Bakugou." Only Deku has reason to actually hold a grudge, and he chooses not to.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
That's what I'm saying, no one has anything personal against him. They just see it and go "Bakugou gonna Bakugou." Only Deku has reason to actually hold a grudge, and he chooses not to.

But an interesting idea to spin off it is does Bakugou have a grudge against Deku? I mean, he knows his hero All Might swoons over Deku, that Deku is more likable than him in the class, that Deku has beaten him at multiple points, and that Deku's own personal growth is near exponential compared to Bakugou's. Honestly, I'm legit surprised Bakugou has basically stopped his bullying of Deku, this is the entire powder keg of insecurities that usually make these things worse.

But an interesting idea to spin off it is does Bakugou have a grudge against Deku? I mean, he knows his hero All Might swoons over Deku, that Deku is more likable than him in the class, that Deku has beaten him at multiple points, and that Deku's own personal growth is near exponential compared to Bakugou's. Honestly, I'm legit surprised Bakugou has basically stopped his bullying of Deku, this is the entire powder keg of insecurities that usually make these things worse.

Of course Bakugo has a grudge against Deku I thought that was eminently well established.

FlowersisBritish

Of course Bakugo has a grudge against Deku I thought that was eminently well established.

Has it though? Yeah sure, in the beginning. Bakugou was all about that power structure and because Deku was quirkless, he was at the bottom. But that's all changed as Deku continues to mount victories and Bakugou failures. Deku is our Main Character, and to a certain degree, everything is filtered through his view. His and Bakugou's interactions as of the last so many chapters have been kind of limited. My big point here is that we don't really get Bakugou's perspective on this. He might not have a grudge, maybe he's fallen into some kind of self-pitying "of course it's Deku, why wouldn't it be?" kind of state. As of this last half, all we have really gotten from Bakugou is his perspective on All Might, not Deku. Besides one comment about Deku's quirk, and this one interaction "We need to talk" we haven't really heard from Bakugou. All we get from him are view-points of him from others (Deku assumes Bakugou will only grab Kirishima's hand. Yeah, he's right, but that's not from Bakugou's mind itself), his brief thoughts on All Might (He punches all the bad guys, why would I join up with you losers?), and the silent looks as he tried to figure out what Deku is to All Might (what's Deku to you All Might? "Just another student!"). Part of the reason why I'm looking forward to the new chapter is because it's going to give us much needed voice from Bakugou.

I think we have to see what Bakugou brings up in the next chapter before we can answer this question.

Cerium

Oh snap spoilers are out.

Bakugou demands to know what made All-Might bet on Deku; All-Might wouldn't give him an answer. In hopes of seeing for himself, he attacks Deku with his quirk and starts a fight while everyone else is asleep.

Oh snap spoilers are out.

Bakugou demands to know what made All-Might bet on Deku; All-Might wouldn't give him an answer. In hopes of seeing for himself, he attacks Deku with his quirk and starts a fight while everyone else is asleep.

Oooo I like this.

Spinx

they're all asleep so they wont hear big explosions. Thats how sleeping works. You shut down for 7 to 8 hours.

Deku telling Bakugou about O4A will bite him in the ass so many times. Haha God I hate naive people.

they're all asleep so they wont hear big explosions. Thats how sleeping works. You shut down for 7 to 8 hours.

Deku telling Bakugou about O4A will bite him in the ass so many times. Haha God I hate naive people.

I literally slept through my college's fire alarm going off. In my room. And the hallway. Every room in the dorm.

cntr

Banned
Chapter 117

Oh man.

e: note, chapter looks to be a bit of a rush-job translation-wise, so take anything that's said in the chapter with a grain of salt

Veelk

Banned
Well, that was a bit anticlimactic for me. I don't know what I was expecting, but I was expecting something more than Bakugou figuring out what should be fairly obvious by now (Or, even if it wasn't, because we're the audience with inside knowledge, still, it's not that importantant a revelation at this point) and then doing the shonen thing and challenging him to a fight over it.

I should mention that despite Bakugou being pissed and still doing the stereotypical shonen thing, I still feel he's actually grown as a character. The context of the fight is that he realizes at this point, something is just wrong with him. He's passed over for the guy he looked down on. His hero has sacrificed his power for that guy's. He lost his first fight against him. He's didn't get the provisional license while the failure did. This sense of inferiority encroaching on his entire identity and it's impossible for me not to feel for him in moments like this.

It's also almost an exact recreation that caused Sasuke to turn his back on Konoha in Naruto, a character arc I still think holds up. I don't think Bakugou will go down that path, but his feelings here are identical.

But most tragically is that, even as he's saying it, he still just doesn't get it. "If we fight in the day time, the teacher's won't let us go all out." Fuckwit, it's not about how much ass you can kick. It's about character. By trying to set up the fight so that he can unleash the most damage possible just to get the answers he wants, he's just further distancing himself from All Might's ideal of heroism. Dramatic irony at play here.

cntr

Banned
I'm betting the fan translation overlooked some of the nuances that made it more than just Bakugou's realization, since it seemed rushed.

You can read some of it in their expressions

Ohh boy ive been waiting for this.
Bakugou trying to figure out how his ideal of all might is wrong.

I love that page with both Deku and Bakugou looking at each other and each having their own interpretation of what All Might as the number 1 hero is.

Deku wants to be like All Might because he always saves people with a smile.

Bakugou wants to be like All Might because he always wins

They're both true but if the number one hero was endeavour instead of all might chances are deku would still look up to All Might while Bakugou would idealise Endeavour because hes first and always wins not because of the other aspects that make All Might a great hero.

The translations for Bakugous dialogue in chapter is really weird though.

cntr

Banned
But most tragically is that, even as he's saying it, he still just doesn't get it. "If we fight in the day time, the teacher's won't let us go all out." Fuckwit, it's not about how much ass you can kick. It's about character. By trying to set up the fight so that he can unleash the most damage possible just to get the answers he wants, he's just further distancing himself from All Might's ideal of heroism. Dramatic irony at play here.
Yeah. I didn't see it coming until this chapter, but it makes sense in retrospect -- Bakugou has accepted Deku, but he's accepted the wrong aspect of Deku, Deku's power. Accepting Deku doesn't mean Bakugou overcame what's actually wrong with him, the way he views the world.

I was wondering where Bakugou's character arc would go if he accepted Deku, but now it makes sense

e: so basically, Bakugou just took a step down the path to becoming Endeavor

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I actually got the exact opposite impression than Veelk.

That panel where he said he wants to confirm exactly what's so great about Deku, oh boy. Even if the translation is off a bit, that panel is drawn REALLY heartfelt for Bakugou.

Philippo

I really liked it.
It's nothig special or new (we've seen this trope in other mangas like Naruto), but it finally gives some spotlight for Kacchan to express his frustration while the system of values imprinted in him by the society is crumbling down.

Plus it's only natural for a rascal like him to want to beat the crap out of Deku lol

I'm really curious on where it'll go, he'll either accept Deku's qualities to a certain degree, or he'll go down the Endeavour pact. Hoping for the first since the latter is pretty cliche.

TheFlow

Banned
Yep this literally some Naruto shit.

Watching the guy you bullied all your life become your role model's number 1 disciple gotta sting.

That being said this is going to be one awesome fight, that I can't wait to see animated.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, this is definitely inspired by that Naruto scene.

though I'm still not comfortable with that comparison since it makes people jump to stupid conclusions like "Bakugou's gonna become a villain"

TheFlow

Banned
Oh shit. Gotta say this.

Boku is not a naruto rip off in anyway. Just saying how this specific chapter purely reminded me of the Naruto vs Sasuke fight before he left the village.

hell I wouldn't be surprised if all might broke it up.

I don't see Baku becoming a villain. he literally has no reason to. I predict All might will motivate him to become a better person.

Cerium

I like the idea of Bakugou becoming another Endeavor rather than a straight up villain. As a matter of fact, with Endeavor being rejected by his own son, what if he took on Bakugou as his sidekick and apprentice? Can you imagine? That would shift some dynamics among the Top 3.

Bakugou gets to learn from the new #1 (and worst possible influence on him) and Todoroki gets a reason to feel some way about Bakugou. Meanwhile Midoriya watches as his old friend sinks into the proverbial darkness.

FlowersisBritish

#1: Ooooooh so when Veelk mentions Naruto its a good comparison but when I mention Naruto everyone grab the twigs, gasoline and torches and screams "burn him at the stake!"

#2: The fuck is everyone getting acceptance from? Bakugou hasn't accepted anything other than the fact there is something about Deku that is infinitely better than him. That's why Bakugou is having this fight, not because he accepted Deku as an equal or something but because he's trying to figure out "why Deku?"

Anyway, I hope Baku wins. I started rooting for him when Deku went "I figured that was the case" and Baku told him to "Shut the fuck up" Boy I love this chapter. I love these rival fights and, believe it or not, doesn't feel that much like Naruto and Sasuke's clashes to me. Like, if we're going to complain about basic shonen tropes the rival battle is one of the biggest. Especially these duels to figure shit out.

Quick edit: the fuck is up with that slide of All Might at the end? Is it implying he's watching from some rooftop?

I'm really curious on where it'll go, he'll either accept Deku's qualities to a certain degree, or he'll go down the Endeavour pact. Hoping for the first since the latter is pretty cliche.

I just got to say this in all the Endeavor talk. The former here is the cliche. Not the latter. They fight and opponents accept each other strength of body and heart. That's the cliche. I would welcome "Deku refuse to fight and Baku becomes even more of an asshole from built up sexual frustrations. That be an interesting turn stories don't tend to do. Also why all the Endevour talk in general? Can't Baku be his own, unique Deku hating hero?

Jarmel

Banned
This is a great chapter. Baku is having a full existential crisis and rightfully so.

There's a number of times this chapter where Baku is drawn differently than normal like with a sort of pain or annoyance that is uncharacteristic of him. It's a really good change of direction for his character.

Cerium

I just got to say this in all the Endeavor talk. The former here is the cliche. Not the latter. They fight and opponents accept each other strength of body and heart. That's the cliche. I would welcome "Deku refuse to fight and Baku becomes even more of an asshole from built up sexual frustrations. That be an interesting turn stories don't tend to do. Also why all the Endevour talk in general? Can't Baku be his own, unique Deku hating hero?
His crisis is almost exactly the same as Endeavor's obsession with All-Might.

Endeavor currently lacks direction right now after All-Might retired: What if Bakugou approaches him with the truth about One For All and Midoriya? Bakugou has the same viciousness and ambition that Endeavor has. If he can't influence Shouto anymore, why not take Bakugou under his wing instead?

FlowersisBritish

His crisis is almost exactly the same as Endeavor's obsession with All-Might.

Endeavor currently lacks direction right now after All-Might retired: What if Bakugou approaches him with the truth about One For All and Midoriya? Bakugou has the same viciousness and ambition that Endeavor has. If he can't influence Shouto anymore, why not take Bakugou under his wing instead?

My big problem is that we ultimately know very little about Endevour besides his love of Eugenics. Besides if this is the same, then it would have to be flipped, because All Might was always better than Endevour and he knows it. That's what was infuriating. There was this huge gap between them Endevour could never beat until one day All Might became too old and retired. The gap here was originally Deku chasing after Baku. And now it's reversed, but not by much. Baku isn't fighting Deku right now because there is a huge gap in power, he's fighting Deku because there's a gap in something and he can't god damn figure out what.

I'm just saying, if we clump every person who hates All Might/Deku into team Endevour it's losing a bit of nuances of the word hate

Quick edit: the fuck is up with that slide of All Might at the end? Is it implying he's watching from some rooftop?

I think he's there just to show that they are both fighting "for" All Might in a sense. Both idolize him and that idolization has somewhat led to this conflict.

I can see it developing where Bakugou accepts All Might's choice, but not Deku himself yet, if that makes sense. With that, it'll still be open to where Bakugou will still want to keep ahead of Deku, but, at the same time, still respect the person he idolizes.

As for Endeavor, I don't think that's where Bakugou's path lies. While he's going for the brute force method, it isn't exactly about power. Bakugou is going to reevaluate All Might, Deku, and himself the only way he knows how. With his anger and complexes no longer clouding his judgement, he can do that, just like how he evaluated All Might in his childhood that made him idolize him in the first place.

"No matter how big a pinch he's in, he always win in the end. No matter how much trouble he's in, he always saves them with a smile!"

Can I just say that chapter was amazing and there is definitely something going on in Bakugo's head. Maybe he might change, maybe not. But it's gonna be a good fight nonetheless.

And did anyone notice that fake out attack by Bakugo? Boy is clever, that's for sure.

Top Bottom