• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Cerium

Can I just say that chapter was amazing and there is definitely something going on in Bakugo's head. Maybe he might change, maybe not. But it's gonna be a good fight nonetheless.

And did anyone notice that fake out attack by Bakugo? Boy is clever, that's for sure.

It wasn't a fake out it was a double bluff. He actually does hit with his right. He knew Midoriya would overthink it because that's who Midoriya is.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
It wasn't a fake out it was a double bluff. He actually does hit with his right. He knew Midoriya would overthink it because that's who Midoriya is.

I think we're over thinking that punch. It wasn't Baku think three steps ahead. It was "I want to punch. Okay, what the plan? I'm gonna punch him!"

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If you reread the Naruto chapter from that time Sasuke was in a completely different headspace than Bakugou is now.

I think we're over thinking that punch. It wasn't Baku think three steps ahead. It was "I want to punch. Okay, what the plan? I'm gonna punch him!"

I don't know, Bakugou's been shown to be an uncannily good fighter before. His style is all about carefully exploiting his advantage in brute force and endurance, rather than relying on it like a crutch. I could see him going for the double fakeout.

SalvaPot

Yeah, Bakugou is surprisingly calm for someone who just picked a fight. He is challenging Deku not for spite, but for peace of mind.

His whole world view is changing. Been "Awesome" is not enough, he doesn't always win, and meanwhile Deku is succeeding. He challenges Deku because he feels that will make him understand what he needs to be closer to his ideal of All Might.

Nah bakugous already shown he does more than that in like his first fight with midoriya using his explosion as a smoke screen and force to flip him over to get his back.

Naruto vs Sasuke Round 3!

In all seriousness, Bakugou showing his ability analyze small details in order to create a big picture is nice. He is not a stereotypical meathead.

Puruzi

Banned
Yeah, Baku is smart. Think he got one of the highest grades on that written exam before the camp arc. He's just angry as shit.

The way I see it, there's 3 basic outcomes here:

1) Basic standard rivalry fight resolution. Hero beats rival, rival becomes friend (or at least ally). I doubt that's where this is going, just because it'd be a fairly dramatic change in both writing quality and character arcs. Bakugou getting beat (AGAIN) by Deku wouldn't suddenly make him realize he was in the wrong, it'd just feed further into his inferiority complex. Thus...

2) Deku wins, Bakugou goes to Endeavor with Deku/All Might's secret. Filled with resentment and insecurity, Bakugou ties himself to somebody remarkably similar to him in the pro scene. What happens next is less certain, he could develop ultimately into Endeavor 2.0 to Deku's All-Might 2.0, he could realize that the path he's on leads nowhere good and course correct.

3) Bakugou wins, but ultimately Deku makes him realize that he's been barking up the wrong tree all along re: might makes right, and he continues to mellow out. I feel like this one is the most likely, but that could just be down to the translation putting words in Bakugou's mouth. There was a bit where he talks about his aspirations being wrong the whole time, which would seem to me to be pointing towards Deku pointing out that yes, that's pretty much exactly right. This would ring rather hollow from a victorious Deku ("you should abandon this obsession with being the strongest, and you should listen to me because I just kicked your ass"), but it might have some impact if he loses the fight. "You want to know why All Might picked me over you even though you're stronger? It's because strength had nothing to do with it."

SalvaPot

The way I see it, there's 3 basic outcomes here:

1) Basic standard rivalry fight resolution. Hero beats rival, rival becomes friend (or at least ally). I doubt that's where this is going, just because it'd be a fairly dramatic change in both writing quality and character arcs. Bakugou getting beat (AGAIN) by Deku wouldn't suddenly make him realize he was in the wrong, it'd just feed further into his inferiority complex. Thus...

2) Deku wins, Bakugou goes to Endeavor with Deku/All Might's secret. Filled with resentment and insecurity, Bakugou ties himself to somebody remarkably similar to him in the pro scene. What happens next is less certain, he could develop ultimately into Endeavor 2.0 to Deku's All-Might 2.0, he could realize that the path he's on leads nowhere good and course correct.

3) Bakugou wins, but ultimately Deku makes him realize that he's been barking up the wrong tree all along re: might makes right, and he continues to mellow out. I feel like this one is the most likely, but that could just be down to the translation putting words in Bakugou's mouth. There was a bit where he talks about his aspirations being wrong the whole time, which would seem to me to be pointing towards Deku pointing out that yes, that's pretty much exactly right. This would ring rather hollow from a victorious Deku ("you should abandon this obsession with being the strongest, and you should listen to me because I just kicked your ass"), but it might have some impact if he loses the fight. "You want to know why All Might picked me over you even though you're stronger? It's because strength had nothing to do with it."

Yeah, I would REALLY like Baku to win this one, mostly because I feel he is still ahead of Deku (Last time Deku won because of the game rules) and also because it will make for interesting writing, depending on the context of the victory.

Meffer

Since I think there's a lot that can be compared to W101, it'll be like Wonder Red fighting Wonder Blue, they'll come to a draw and then actually talk. Or least understand each other.

3mP0PYSh.jpg

This is viz's translation of why Bakugo wants to fight Deku for those curious

FlowersisBritish

Eeeeeeeh reading that made me feel this fight less. Then again, I'm kind of super off the All Might bandwagon. I'm getting tired of people being like "I love All Might more than you!" Why does no one love Eraserhead? Why doesn't he have a cool fanclub of kids just wearing his big dump scarf and pouring sand in their eyes so they can get the teary red eye chique?

Puruzi

Banned
Eeeeeeeh reading that made me feel this fight less. Then again, I'm kind of super off the All Might bandwagon. I'm getting tired of people being like "I love All Might more than you!" Why does no one love Eraserhead? Why doesn't he have a cool fanclub of kids just wearing his big dump scarf and pouring sand in their eyes so they can get the teary red eye chique?

nobody knows eraserhead

cntr

Banned
Aizawa doesn't like publicity. Remember when Deku, aka Hero Nerd Ultimate, was the only one who knew anything about him?

Lunar15

Looking at this, are the snippets of text above both their heads supposed to be their two opposing viewpoints?

Bakugou: He always wins in the end
Deku: He always saves people with a smile

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

No one know's who he is and that seems by his own choice. He doesn't like the glamor and the life style that surrounds so many other heroes. Much the same Eraserhead doesn't seem like the type to have an office building full of dozens of side kicks either. Just not his style and goes against what kind of hero he is it seems.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's better that the general public doesn't know who Aizawa is. His power revolves around catching enemies off guard not knowing their power shut off.

Meffer

Eraserhead made it a point to not be in the spotlight.

HStallion

Why do Eraserhead and All-Might not get along again?

They are on exact opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of the style of hero that they are and how they think hero work should be done. All Might is out there for everyone to see and act as a symbol of justice and peace and to give hope and strength to the world. Superman like to be more specific while Eraserhead is much more the Batman style hero.

Will only accept a Bakugou win, Midoriya winning is too soon, he's not powerful enough since he hasnt had his quirk for even a tenth of as long as Bakugou. And please no interruptions, please be unique.

FlowersisBritish

Yeah, DTL is right. Deku won via rules, not by brawn. In a straight up fight, Baku wins hands down as shown in that big tournament.

Also, who is going to tell Baku he sweats from his feet too so he can start hoping in the air via explosions like so crazy martial artist bouncing on their feet.

Cerium

Baku wins hands down as shown in that big tournament.
Bakugou never faced Midoriya. He only won first place because Todoroki was mindfucked after his battle with Midoriya and refused to go all out. Even Bakugou knew it was a bullshit win and he was pissed off about it on the podium.

In my opinion Todoroki is clearly still top of the class, who cares about second place?

HStallion

Will only accept a Bakugou win, Midoriya winning is too soon, he's not powerful enough since he hasnt had his quirk for even a tenth of as long as Bakugou. And please no interruptions, please be unique.

Handjob and smokey will show up with a horde of villains to try and interrupt things and kidnap him.

FlowersisBritish

Speaking of who, I miss handjob. Outside of Toga he's my favorite character in this and he never gets enough screen time. Just give me a panel, anything. Him looking over finances and getting stressful back pains because he doesn't know how money works, him practicing juggling in private and then someone opens the door and he quickly hides the balls, a shot of his tinder profile. Anything would be great, I just miss him and his cutie patootie smile.

FlowersisBritish

If you were a full member I'd petition to make that your tag.

Edit: Speaking of which (sorry, I crept on your profile) how are you not a full member?

Dude, he already kicked Bakugou's ass a few chapters into the manga.

Ehhhhhhhh

I agree with the others. Deku rules-lawyered his way out of that, he'd have lost a straight up fight.

If you were a full member I'd petition to make that your tag.

Edit: Speaking of which (sorry, I crept on your profile) how are you not a full member?

He had his threadmaking privileges revoked. Also banned a number of times.

Cerium likes to live dangerously.

HStallion

I'm more curious what the Hell All for One sees in Handsy. He spends so much time training him, giving him super soldier braindead quirk monsters, and even takes a stand to let him get away. I realize his connection to All Mights predecessor and his quirk is pretty powerful but other than that there must be something else there.

Top Bottom