• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
I figured it was the other way around and his dad and mom's powers were made to reflect their combination in making Bakugou's power and as a joke about his mom being hot because of the quirk.
I thought that too, but thinking about it, Horikoshi would've come up with at least the names and quirks of the parents while making the students. Quirk inheritance matters, and you don't want to write yourself into a corner trying to figure out something that makes sense, right? Plus you need explanation why the parents didn't become heroes but their kid did.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
On a random note one of the most refreshing things about this manga has little to nothing to do with super heroes or anything. I just like the fact Midoriya has a mother who isn't some crazy villain in hiding, isn't a complete nutjob, isn't dead, and so on. He actually has a healthy normal relationship with his mother that plays out like you would expect for the situation he is placed in once getting One for All. You don't see that very often in Shonen mangas or generally stories with kid heroes. I believe Togashi put it best about parents getting in the way of things but MHA makes it work.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I thought that too, but thinking about it, Horikoshi would've come up with at least the names and quirks of the parents while making the students. Quirk inheritance matters, and you don't want to write yourself into a corner trying to figure out something that makes sense, right? Plus you need explanation why the parents didn't become heroes but their kid did.

I always figured Bakugou's quirk was going to end up being revealed as completely mutated, unrelated to whatever his parents had, because of how surprised and elated he was when he first showed it off at school.

We know quirk users get their powers 4 ways:
A straight passage of quirk from 1 parent to child
A combination of the parent's quirks to child
A mutated ability. Either a quirk a child receives that is different from the mother and/or father's quirk or a quirk child born to quirkless parents
A very rare passage type quirk. Two are A40's give and take ability and A40's brother's give ability.

If Deku was born with a quirk he should have had his mother's ability to attract objects, his father's ability to breath fire out of his mouth, a combination ability like controlling fire, or a whole new quirk.

Well the chapters with All Might's home visit was some of the best chapters of the manga and it was basically his mother being like "I can't put my trust in an institution that almost let my son die multiple times"

Like, she wasn't over-reacting or being crazy or playing it up for laughs. That was legit.

Trojita

On a random note one of the most refreshing things about this manga has little to nothing to do with super heroes or anything. I just like the fact Midoriya has a mother who isn't some crazy villain in hiding, isn't a complete nutjob, isn't dead, and so on. He actually has a healthy normal relationship with his mother that plays out like you would expect for the situation he is placed in once getting One for All. You don't see that very often in Shonen mangas or generally stories with kid heroes. I believe Togashi put it best about parents getting in the way of things but MHA makes it work.

His Dad's still away and his name is a giant joke about the whole trope.

HStallion

His Dad's still away and his name is a giant joke about the whole trope.

I just enjoy that he has a normal loving relationship with his mother. Seems rare in not just Shonen's but a lot of manga/anime. Its one of the things I also really enjoyed about Parasyte.

cntr

Banned
That wouldn't make sense, the provisional license isn't issued by UA, and I kinda doubt Aizawa's going to go out of his way to revoke Deku's license.

especially with that ~mystery~ person involved

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ah man, you guys and you're selective memories. Remember when she didn't believe in his dreams at the very beginning? I do, Deku might have forgiven her but I haven't...
I have personal issues

Side note: did she ever "apologize" for that? I know in general she's pretty supportive but didn't she just kind of shift into that when Deku got in?

Trojita

What were the stipulations on the provisional license anyways?

In public people aren't allowed to use their powers, but they are on UA ground.

Deku has a license that allows him to use powers in public, so only Bakugou can't use his powers in public.

Cerium

That was kind of my point. Her super power is mostly a tongue that is long and strong with some other Frog related abilities. However most frogs aren't lifting other frogs over their bodies with just their tongue and holding them there for an extended period of time while doing other activities. Maybe if she was ant powered and lifted him up with her mandibles or something but lets be honest, their powers are basically pretty "fuzzy" and tend to grow or shrink in use and power as needed by the story. Nothing wrong with it either, doesn't really bother me as that's hardly the least suspect power.
She got the proportional strength of a frog.

I mean it makes sense that she has super strength and a prehensile tongue otherwise she won't be able to keep up with the others.

cntr

Banned
The provisional license isn't a general license to use your powers in public, but it lets you step in when you see a crime in progress, and professional heroes can call you in when they want your help.

But you can't go out and search for crimes, participate in formal heroics, and you're judged by stricter standards than full heroes.

HStallion

And how did that work out.

Well I won't spoil that for those who haven't read the series but I think you're missing the point is that the relationship between a parent and child that isn't bat shit crazy or start on some tragic note that mars the relationship for the rest of the series. The fact that his mom and him, despite all the crazy superpowers, villainy and what not still have what I would call a believable and sweet relationship.

SalvaPot

Ah man, you guys and you're selective memories.

Because I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of everything I've ever read in that manga. I save that part of my brain for Jane Eyre so I can shit on that book at parties.

LMAO.

Anyway, great chapter, its really funny how no one expected the guilt card to be played, that was masterful and its going to make the fight way more interesting. If I had to guess who is stopping eraserhead, yeah I'll think its Ochako too, it just makes sense, since she values "Men acting like men".

Veelk

Banned
That was kind of my point. Her super power is mostly a tongue that is long and strong with some other Frog related abilities. However most frogs aren't lifting other frogs over their bodies with just their tongue and holding them there for an extended period of time while doing other activities. Maybe if she was ant powered and lifted him up with her mandibles or something but lets be honest, their powers are basically pretty "fuzzy" and tend to grow or shrink in use and power as needed by the story. Nothing wrong with it either, doesn't really bother me as that's hardly the least suspect power.

Ants for some reason are known for being magnitudes stronger the humans proportionally, but in actuality, most small creatures are. A small creature who only had the promotional strength of a human would have a hard time moving around. Similarly, we're actually stronger proportionally than larger animals. Pound for pound, we have way more endurance than horses, for example.

I do agree that the terms are fuzzy, but that's why I accept that Tsuyu has super strength as well even if it's not terribly pronounced.

But Bakugou's aren't fuzzy. They specifically said it's a substance like nitroglycerin and nitroglycerin doesn't act like that. This entire problem could have been avoided if they avoided terming the chemical substance, but that's what got them.

If you are going to be specific on how your powers work, you'd best be right about it.

cntr

Banned
Honestly it's probably just a mistake, and the nitroglycerin comparison was meant to be more metaphorical than it sounds. (Maybe it's clearer in Japanese?)

The powers are normally vaguer than that, and if you wanted to concisely explain that Bakugou secretes some kind of explosive liquid, nitroglycerin would be the comparison you'd go for, right?

HStallion

Honestly it's probably just a mistake, and the nitroglycerin comparison was meant to be more metaphorical than it sounds. (Maybe it's clearer in Japanese?)

The powers are normally vaguer than that, and if you wanted to concisely explain that Bakugou secretes some kind of explosive liquid, nitroglycerin would be the comparison you'd go for, right?

At least he's not breaking the laws of physics outright like some other powers or are super vague like controlling "animals". Then again the idea of an invisible girl doesn't really work since how would she see anything if light never got to her eyes... if she has eyes...

Cerium

Maybe we'll eventually learn that Hagakure's quirk is not merely invisibility but full light control.

Only way I see her quirk scaling up to the necessary levels.

HStallion

Maybe we'll eventually learn that Hagakure's quirk is not merely invisibility but full light control.

As long as it doesn't get as goofy as Dr. Light.

cntr

Banned
Hagakure has reflective skin and the power to somehow make lightsabers happen. That's my bet.

kind of want to ask "if his hands secrete a kind of glycerin, does that mean Bakugou has really nice hands?", but on second thought, DTL would probably say some weird things if I did

HStallion

Now that I think about it have we ever seen the one weird looking guy use his power to control animals? He is almost never featured outside of group shots and the couple of battles he's been in he's basically done nothing. Hell half the time he looks embarrassed or freaked out over nothing or minor things, super shy. In fact... does he even talk?

We saw her using light in the provisional license test. It appears this is the case with her powers, full control.

Now that I think about it have we ever seen the one weird looking guy use his power to control animals? He is almost never featured outside of group shots and the couple of battles he's been in he's basically done nothing. Hell half the time he looks embarrassed or freaked out over nothing or minor things, super shy. In fact... does he even talk?

At this point in the story, he's just defined as a character based on his crush with Jirou. He controlled bugs in the battle against present mic and birds in the provisional license test.

cntr

Banned
My guess is that her skin naturally bends light around her in a way that makes her invisible, but she has some amount of control over it. But she can't turn it off, only manipulate the light in contact with her skin.

Cerium

Can Habuko Mongoose petrify Hagakure?

blank-meme-018-philosoraptor.jpg

Veelk

Banned
I was literally just thinking "If wore a complete set of armor, can eEaser erase me?"

Second note, does Eraser never look at her?

Um....hm.....

I mean, how does Eraser's powers even work on someone whose quirk is physical in nature?

Like, Tsuyu's tongue wouldn't become a normal tongue when he looks at her, right?

If so....maybe that explains Hagakure's constant invisibility. It's not just a super power, her literal body is made of invisible material.

HStallion

Um....hm.....

I mean, how does Eraser's powers even work on someone whose quirk is physical in nature?

Like, Tsuyu's tongue wouldn't become a normal tongue when he looks at her, right?

If so....maybe that explains Hagakure's constant invisibility. It's not just a super power, her literal body is made of invisible material.

He can't undo quirks that are physically a component of their user like he can't turn someone made of stone into flesh.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Eraserhead's power only kick in when he wants it to? So even with quirks he can can cancel nothing will happen unless he wants it to even if he's looking right at someone.

Philippo

Poor Kacchan, i didn't think he had these things into his head :(

I've had a bit of trouble following his train of thought though:
i got labeled special all of my life for my skills -> deku was a little shit -> suddenly all might appears and start praising Deku for his attitude and not for his Quirk (or lack of) -> i get shown that maybe there is a system that evaluates a person's heart instead of his skills (which means i might not be the best as everyone told me before) -> i get kidnapped for my skills and my bad attitude -> these events sets in motion All Might's fall -> Provisional License Exam comes and once again i got proved that my methods are wrong and Deku receives more praises than ever, he also actually got pretty skilled -> okay i really need to blow my steam off and see if Deku is so special and better than me and maybe he can show me how wrong i was?

Guess i'm pretty close?

Meffer

Poor Kacchan, i didn't think he had these things into his head :(

I've had a bit of trouble following his train of thought though:
i got labeled special all of my life for my skills -> deku was a little shit -> suddenly all might appears and start praising Deku for his attitude and not for his Quirk (or lack of) -> i get shown that maybe there is a system that evaluates a person's heart instead of his skills (which means i might not be the best as everyone told me before) -> i get kidnapped for my skills and my bad attitude -> these events sets in motion All Might's fall -> Provisional License Exam comes and once again i got proved that my methods are wrong and Deku receives more praises than ever, he also actually got pretty skilled -> okay i really need to blow my steam off and see if Deku is so special and better than me and maybe he can show me how wrong i was?

Guess i'm pretty close?
For his entire life Bakugo felt he was the best. He was gifted and the person he looked up to was the best. He felt he could do no wrong. Then someone who he looked down on came into the spotlight and grew so fast. Then he got captured which he felt was the reason All Might lost his powers. He's very frustrated at himself.

Trojita

I've already shown that Uraraka was suspiciously absent post license exam so that we wouldn't see what clothes she was wearing to verify whether she was wearing a long sleeve shirt. She was also absent from showing those that were asleep.

I have another set of past precedent to prove it is Uraraka

N277Yy1.png

kqEhZhk.png

FlowersisBritish

Bakugou/Uraraka confirmed! She's had eyes on him this entire time! Know each other so well they're like the same person!

But no yeah it's probably Uraraka or All Might (I still think that one panel last chapter is a little too weird...). I can't really see any other possibilities and people have pretty much ruled All Might out because of the hands.

FlowersisBritish

What would Uraraka's motive be though?

I think its out of a similar guilt that led Froppy to apologize? The more i think about it, Uraraka has been given a decent narrative significance before the exam but it hasn't really gone anywhere? This might be where its been heading? In this one exchange where she'll figure her own shit out like Baku is doing.

Cerium

I think its out of a similar guilt that led Froppy to apologize? The more i think about it, Uraraka has been given a decent narrative significance before the exam but it hasn't really gone anywhere? This might be where its been heading? In this one exchange where she'll figure her own shit out like Baku is doing.

So, after getting his ass beat by Midoriya, Bakugou gets to watch as Uraraka confesses?

This is how villains are created.

Veelk

Banned
I think of anyone, Uraraka is probably the most likely person, if for no reason other than that she has been ignored for a while at this point.

Oh god no, if we get to comic-like power descriptions it will become a pile of nonsensical bullshit, with dimensions, space, time, gems, etc.

Please no Horikoshi. The way it is it's quite clean.

This. I don't need to know why the physics are a little bullshit. Marvel and DC have been trying to handwave that for 50 years and it's always stupid.

Top Bottom