• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
I liked the frog thing better. That was goofy and fun, not some boring "badass" design.

e: Stain's XTREME design was great tho, but that's because it was also goofy

Veelk

Banned
There's something about Naruto art direction that I've come to truly loath.

It's hard to put my finger on, but I think it's how it tries to be as light on detail as possible. It's not bleach levels, but everything about that design. black suit, white blank armor, and indistinct vague ghost shapes... It's only worse compared to the vivid detail MHA puts in it's art.

Horikoshi is the hero we need.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Jesus you guys and your determination to not even give Naruto an inch. Did Kishimoto kill your dogs or something?

Side note: No joke, i know you guys like MHA to a bit of an extreme, but lets be real. It can never compare to the utter 10/10 masterpiece that is Bleach.

Veelk

Banned
Jesus you guys and your determination to not even give Naruto an inch. Did Kishimoto kill your dogs or something?

Side note: No joke, i know you guys like MHA to a bit of an extreme, but lets be real. It can never compare to the utter 10/10 masterpiece that is Bleach.

If by dogs, you mean Naruto the manga, yes, he did.

cntr

Banned
Horikoshi goes for distinctive designs, usually simple in design but drawn with a lot of detail, and relies on body language to convey character. (If you reread, check out how often people are gesturing with their hands. It's pretty cool.)

Naruto's art is detailed, but the detail is used for generic designs and generic poses, so it seems flat in comparison.

it reminds me of that Fullmetal Alchemist opening, where you see everybody from a high up view, but it's still obvious who's who. You could do that with My Hero Academia, but not Naruto.

Veelk

Banned
Horikoshi goes for distinctive designs, usually simple in design but drawn with a lot of detail, and relies on body language to convey character. (If you reread, check out how often people are gesturing with their hands. It's pretty cool.)

Naruto's art is detailed, but the detail is used for generic designs and generic poses, so it seems flat in comparison.

it reminds me of that Fullmetal Alchemist opening, where you see everybody from a high up view, but it's still obvious who's who. You could do that with My Hero Academia, but not Naruto.

While this is all true, there is something distinctly....flat and unalive about that image.

I don't know. I'm a story guy, I don't really have the language to talk about images. But Naruto used to feel alive back in Part 1. I noticed how boxy and stiff the characters felt from part 2 on, and it's been a shift I haven't been able to get over.

Cerium

Bleach may be the worst thing I've ever read. That's not even hyperbole either.

It's named after what you want to do to your brain after reading it.

cntr

Banned
Nah, Bleach isn't truly the worst, because at least you could laugh at it.

the worst manga is h2 because fuck i'm still angry

e:
While this is all true, there is something distinctly....flat and unalive about that image.

I don't know. I'm a story guy, I don't really have the language to talk about images. But Naruto used to feel alive back in Part 1. I noticed how boxy and stiff the characters felt from part 2 on, and it's been a shift I haven't been able to get over.
I'd chalk that up to Kishimoto becoming shit with body language

like the snake guy just has two inverted V's stacked on each other for a pose

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Bleach is a god damn master piece that never once failed to hit me on some kind of emotional level. And im not even talking about the soul society arc. Im talking about the time the stealth ninjas ultimate move was a nuke and she hated it. Im talking about the time a guys ultimate form was one of those birda that dips their head in water thanks to gravity. Im talking about that long multi month fight versus a giant hand MHA is good, but hand jobs hands are only normal sized hands and im more quality over quantity.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

The ending of Bleach was something else. I don't think I've read something so insulting to the readers intelligence for so long. Naruto's ending was really bad as well but at least it had some sequences that were a long time coming and fun to finally see like Guy
finally popping the 8 gates.

cntr

Banned
I gotta say

"WHO TOLD YOU THE NUMBERS GO FROM ONE TO TEN" was really memorable and I still laugh about it today

Veelk

Banned
Like, I can fully accept that Bleach and even other manga can be considered to be technically worse written. But I never really cared about Bleach that much. With Naruto, it was personal. Naruto was my gateway manga and one in which I fell in love with. In retrospect, even part 1 was flawed, sure, but in many ways it became the foundation for how I view stories. There is always going to be merit to that.

Watching Naruto slowly snowball into a worse and worse series was like watching a cancer eat it away from the inside. It was just fucking horrifying and hurtful. It is always going to be the worst for me.

I gotta say

"WHO TOLD YOU THE NUMBERS GO FROM ONE TO TEN" was really memorable and I still laugh about it today

I remember hanging out on /a/ back in the day when that shit happened.

Seeing people lose their fucking minds was probably my happiest memory of that place.

Imma be real, when I was younger I only read chapters with Halibel and then when they did her dirty during whatever arc I never touched it again.

I was in college, I have no pride yo.

Cerium

I remember hanging out on /a/ back in the day when that shit happened.

Seeing people lose their fucking minds was probably my happiest memory of that place.

Imma be real, when I was younger I only read chapters with Halibel and then when they did her dirty during whatever arc I never touched it again.

I was in college, I have no pride yo.

You're giving me PTSD flashbacks.

We are not Bleach readers, we are Bleach survivors.

cntr

Banned
Oh hey, the second popularity poll results should be out this week.

or...next week? I don't know how shounen jump works

e: reminder we'll be having a 2 week break after the next two chapters, because of Jump's Christmas break

cntr

Banned
wijfNO6.jpg

cntr

Banned
The last popularity poll was at the beginning of the Stain arc, so off the top of my head, the VA Vanguard Squad, most UA heroes, the Pussycats, Shimura Nana, and All for One.

Veelk

Banned
It's out

Mineta has the number 1 spot by near 75% of the votes.

I do wonder how the Japanese fanbase regards Mineta though...

I mean they don't even have to be characters, I'm pretty sure there's gonna be dudes who vote for shit like "the door to UA" and "Deku's shoes" again.

And then a vote for Katsura because why the fuck not.

Cerium

The thing about Bakugou's rivalry with Midoriya is that it largely seems onesided at this point.

Todoroki is by consensus the top of the class. Todoroki explicitly singled out Midoriya as his rival and Bakugou was pissed about being overlooked but who gives a shit? Todoroki gives so few fucks about Bakugou that he basically threw the final match of the sports festival after going all out (for the first time ever) on Midoriya.

No one even likes Bakugou. Kirishima is unique because he, like, tolerates him.

Veelk

Banned
Midoriya and Kirishima were clearly terrified at the idea of losing Bakugou, and atleast a good portion of the rest of the class cared enough to endanger themselves to rescue him.

He's a douche, but he's their douche.

Cerium

Midoriya and Kirishima were clearly terrified at the idea of losing Bakugou, and atleast a good portion of the rest of the class cared enough to endanger themselves to rescue him.

He's a douche, but he's their douche.

That doesn't mean they have to like him!

Veelk

Banned
Bakugou could not carry a narrative as a main character.
Of course he could. There is no such thing as a character who can't conceptually carry a narrative. There's only characters who the writing has failed.

Of a series that gets cancelled like one month in maybe.

Then again Ichigo was a thing that people liked? I guess? People have bad taste.

Ichigo was a bad character because he had very little characterization. By the end of the series, he still had no overarching goal that he could chase, unlike most shonen protagonists. Bakugou has a very clear goal.

It'd be a darker series, if anything, since he has such a violent mindset and philosophy, but he's got all the narrative hallmarks of actual character.

Meffer

Of a series that gets cancelled like one month in maybe.

Then again Ichigo was a thing that people liked? I guess? People have bad taste.

The issue with Bleach was that as the manga went on, there was nothing going with Ichigo. He had no dreams or goals. Every action he did was reactive. That's a good trait for a hero don't get me wrong but there was nothing Ichigo aspired to. The beginning of Bleach up to the Soul Society arc was pretty damn good. Good art, great action and flow.

Top Bottom