• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Why would you wish for a series people actively enjoy to become terrible?

Because I think it's great for young people's tastes to evolve. We should always want to move onto better and different things. And when you can see the flaws of something you used to love and obsess over, then I think that's a great marker for how you've changed. Like, I hope for young people's sakes (Keep in mind, my personal beliefs, you don't have to agree) because that's ultimately for who this stuff is for. I'm already an adult and I like MHA but I don't love it like I used to with Bleach. It doesn't have that same history with me, never will. I've moved onto more adult stories awhile ago. I'm not wishing the series become trash or anything, but I'm more than lenient and ready and accepting of an eventual downtick of quality because that's how stories work. You can't keep a story going good forever, not when they stretch this long. And that's fiiiiiiine. To quote a great show, "Evolution is built off of mistakes." Everyone gets better when there are some mistakes along the way.

Bleach had some amazing chapter titles. I remember MetroidPrimeRib made a collection of the best ones when it ended.
Good stuff.

Bless you! I was trying to find it but couldn't. Gonna have to favorite that post. Another thing MHA should steal, some crazy fucking titles. I mean look at this, tell me this isn't Bakugou to a T

XV9x0Gt.png

SalvaPot

Kubo's early work is just beautiful and vibrant, you can specially see this in the Volume release. Later on, I won't say he got lazy, but he certainly went for a more minimalistic style with emphasis on the "Power and effect" of what is happening, so we get full chapters of just one attack charging and been realized. It works if you binge read it or in anime form, but its really frustrating if you are a week by week reader. It also can get confusing, funnily enough, since he likes to feature 7 angles for the same shot. In a lot of way Bleach become the anti-One Piece. And I am saying this as I am one of the few who kinda liked the fullbring arc.

Its not helped by how much he dragged the plot by the end.

Naruto's main fault is that it completely forgot what made it fun: Creative fights with interesting characters that are just fun. It went too edgy and then wrote itself into a corner, so Kishimoto had to rely in bigger and bigger versions of old attacks. Battles no longer relied on wits or the fruits of training, but on who had the bigger energy blast or confusing jutsu. And when the final war broke out, there was a clear lack of focus since you could tell he was forcing himself to give everyone a moment to shine, but since the focused cast was so overpowered compared to the others it just felt underwhelming and like bullshit. Neji dying was pretty much what sealed the idea that he really was just trying to end this series in any way possible. It felt half-assed. And Sasuke coming back and saying he wanted to be Hokage now was just a cop-out to have him on a defined side and try to put the heroes in a better spot since Madara and Tobi got too big for their own good. And he STILL needed to add a new character made just so he could escape his escalation of power.

In other words, it became a series that betrayed what made it good in the first place.

captainpat

I feel like the opposite would happen to most kids reading MHA, haha. It's a series that sells itself on relatable characters and relationships and body language and other subtle things that you don't really know until you're old enough.

Barely any kid reading this is gonna remember that. They're probably just gonna remember action, Bakugou is cool and tits.

With a better picture of the popularity contest I now realized that the characters have their number on themselves too.

Bakugou
on his shoulder
Deku
on his right glove
Todoroki
on his boot
Aizawa ???
Kirishima
on his shoulder
All Might
on his sword
Jirou ???
Iida
on his sword
Tsuyu I'm not really sure. There looks to be symbols on the bottom of her dress but the right most one appears to be a V. A fuckup? There's also nine flowers on the skirt.
Ochako
a X on her hat

How did people even notice that

cntr

Banned
Barely any kid reading this is gonna remember that. They're probably just gonna remember action, Bakugou is cool and tits.
Yeah, that's what I mean. When they go back to reread, they'll think it's much better. If you went back and rewatched, say, Dragonball Z, you'd think it's much dumber than you did as a kid, right? It's the opposite of that.

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, MHA definitely has a timeless air about it. Knock on wood and all, but there seems to be a greater depth/significance to every major story beat. There is every chance of if it's quality dipping, obviously, but provided it keeps going how it's been going....

The only other Shonen that I've read that is clearly this instantly classic was Full Metal Alchemist.

cntr

Banned
Fullmetal Alchemist is the only other battle shounen I have no major fundamental issues with, so if Horikoshi keeps it up, that's saying a lot. (Your mileage may vary.)

captainpat

Yeah, that's what I mean. When they go back to reread, they'll think it's much better. If you went back and rewatched, say, Dragonball Z, you'd think it's much dumber than you did as a kid, right? It's the opposite of that.

But then Mineta's gonna show up and remind them that some parts were pretty dumb

Nightbird

Because I think it's great for young people's tastes to evolve. We should always want to move onto better and different things. And when you can see the flaws of something you used to love and obsess over, then I think that's a great marker for how you've changed. Like, I hope for young people's sakes (Keep in mind, my personal beliefs, you don't have to agree) because that's ultimately for who this stuff is for. I'm already an adult and I like MHA but I don't love it like I used to with Bleach. It doesn't have that same history with me, never will. I've moved onto more adult stories awhile ago. I'm not wishing the series become trash or anything, but I'm more than lenient and ready and accepting of an eventual downtick of quality because that's how stories work. You can't keep a story going good forever, not when they stretch this long. And that's fiiiiiiine. To quote a great show, "Evolution is built off of mistakes." Everyone gets better when there are some mistakes along the way.

I think what you are looking for is Fairy Tail.

That is a currently popular series with a lot of issues that started out decently. It still has it's masses of young fans who will just suck it up, but i think they will also realize someday that their series is not as good as it used to be anymore.

Also i just want Hori to finally be as successful as he deserves to be. This is his third and final try, and i am overjoyed that people finally realize how good he is. :)

caliph95

That is a currently popular series with a lot of issues that started out decently. It still has it's masses of young fans who will just suck it up, but i think they will also realize someday that their series is not as good as it used to be anymore.

Also i just want Hori to finally be as successful as he deserves to be. This is his third and final try, and i am overjoyed that people finally realize how good he is. :)

TBF while it has a die hard fan base it also has the same kind of fan base bleach and Naruto have at the end where since reading manga take 5 minute they read it out of curiosity and basically hate read it.

Verelios

I was supporting Oumagadoki Zoo(it's pretty great) so I do hope he finds major success this time.

cntr

Banned
Fairy Tail is "interesting" since the author clearly wants to draw smut, and tries as hard as he can to get there.

One of the recent villains
basically has the power to give people orgasms.
Yeah. That's a thing.

I was supporting Oumagadoki Zoo(it's pretty great) so I do hope he finds major success this time.
Man, can you imagine how lame MHA's ending would've been if it got cancelled early on? Praise god that it didn't happen.

Philippo

Fairy Tail is "interesting" since the author clearly wants to draw smut, and tries as hard as he can to get there.

One of the recent villains
basically has the power to give people orgasms.
Yeah. That's a thing..

He might as well go for that for once.
Y'know, for reasons.

captainpat

Fairy Tail is a decade old so if most of them haven't "realized it" now they're probably not gonna.

Also, lets be realistic, most people going into a battle shonen just wanna see cool characters and fights. So if it's delivering on that end it's probably keeping most of it's readers happy.

LotusHD

Banned
Fairy Tail is a decade old so if most of them haven't "realized it" now they're probably not gonna.

Also, lets be realistic, most people going into a battle shonen just wanna see cool characters and fights. So if it's delivering on that end it's probably keeping most of it's readers happy.

Doesn't feel like it kept Bleach fans happy

Nightbird

TBF while it has a die hard fan base it also has the same kind of fan base bleach and Naruto have at the end where since reading manga take 5 minute they read it out of curiosity and basically hate read it.

This is basically what i do every week hahaha

I was so heartbroken when it was cancelled. After that the scanlations also stopped coming, and i felt like we lost something great there.

I think this is the first time where i not only want a series to succeed because i like it, but also because i want to fully support the author. (if that makes any sense to you guys haha)

Veelk

Banned
Aw, Bakugou gave Midoriya advice to improve himself.

If there was any doubt that they weren't friends before this, it should be gone now.

Surprised at Baku's evolution, feels really good.

Also Shinsou and Tetsutetsu again! So hype!

And that last panel, the guy sure looks like some kind of Toshinori's son.

Vigilante continues to get better... it's still weaker than the main series, but it's improving every chapter. Knuckleduster is fun in a Dark Knight Returns sort of way, and it's fun to watch Gentle-man's growing competency and Pop-Step's growing conscience. Girl still needs a new costume tho. Plus, heroic antagonist time! That'll be fun.

Also Yanki Cyclops & Wolverine are hilarious and 110% intentional.

cntr

Banned
Gotta love Aizawa and the Principal. And Monoma.

Bakugou's finally chilling out! Appreciate that he called out Deku for talking about it in the first place, lol.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
lol at Baku trying to give Midoriya advice in the most Baku way possible.

I was confused on why they were having an opening ceremony.

Class 2 and the mind control guy!

LOL at Kaminari wanting to touch Monkey Boy's tail.

The fuck was that ending. At first I thought it was mind control boy or Kirishima, but then I realized that it was a 2nd or 3rd year.

cntr

Banned
Shinsou's gotta be joining 1-A soon, right? And with season 2 of the anime coming up, there's no better time to feature him and 1-B.

And yeah, that's a new character at the end.

Trojita

The timeline of events where All Might saw the fight and met with Aizawa not knowing anything. I'm guessing the Aizawa thing was in the past. Man him and the alarm system were lazy if that is the case.

cntr

Banned
And with the mention of hero internships, I guess we know what the second and third year will be like! Gonna take a while, but it'll be a fun change of pace.

The timeline of events where All Might saw the fight and met with Aizawa not knowing anything. I'm guessing the Aizawa thing was in the past. Man him and the alarm system were lazy if that is the case.
It's translated a bit awkwardly, I think All MIght already saw the fight, but Aizawa didn't know that.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

Maaan, if I was living in this universe, I'd probably be a republican because the amount of taxes I'd have to be paying for all of this dumb shit must be INSANE!

Trojita

Wonder if the new guy has a personality problem or something but is really talented.

He's still enrolled at the school so I kind of doubt he did anything really bad so I'm not sure we're dealing with a Sensui situation here.

cntr

Banned
Wonder if the new guy has a personality problem or something but is really talented.
My guess is that he's heroic enough for the Principal to recommend him, but had something that All Might took issue with. Like being too violent or something.

Maaan, if I was living in this universe, I'd probably be a republican because the amount of taxes I'd have to be paying for all of this dumb shit must be INSANE!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was actually curious about the world at large in MHA because it seems rather Utopian despite the villains running around. Are there wars fought with quirks? You would think there would be a military school or boot camp or something.

cntr

Banned
We probably won't know for a while, but I'm sure it'll eventually come up.

I don't think it's really utopian though, it just looks like...normal Tokyo. Plus there's that whole Symbol of Peace thing that was around until recently.

Top Bottom