• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
Yeah. At the same time, I'd assume quirks helped reconstruct society. Someone like Momo or Cementoss would be pretty useful for that. (In fact, why not make it the reason Momo's family is so rich?)

convo

The prosperity of mankind is linked to keeping powerful evil-doers under control and so i don't think the world can be that "utopian". Who knows if hunger and enviromental issues,or real wars are a thing in this world.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I would be surprised if All Might was the number one hero across the world. His actions seem focused entirely on Japan from what we've seen and its a huge world out there with billions of people. I mean I guess its possible that the rankings aren't on the sheer scale of the heroism on a geopolitical manner but more focused on how much you do for your immediate country which could make sense. All Might isn't saving the world but he's made Japan (and maybe asia) a far better place by being around to the point he has become a symbol of justice and Peace.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if we see the MHA world's version of the Justice League or something along those lines

I would be surprised if All Might was the number one hero across the world. His actions seem focused entirely on Japan from what we've seen and its a huge world out there with billions of people. I mean I guess its possible that the rankings aren't on the sheer scale of the heroism on a geopolitical manner but more focused on how much you do for your immediate country which could make sense. All Might isn't saving the world but he's made Japan (and maybe asia) a far better place by being around to the point he has become a symbol of justice and Peace.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if we see the MHA world's version of the Justice League or something along those lines

In most other series, I could see him being touted as the number 1 of the world and just sort of ignoring the fact that said world is a lot bigger than Japan, but Horikoshi's a much better writer than that, and a westaboo to boot, so we'll probably see the broader picture at some point.

TheFlow

Banned
What was confusing?

Yeah, Deku spent his entire life being bullied and never fighting back. A quirk where he has to use his fists and legs will be a learning process.
The wording and sentences. I had trouble following what they were talking about towards the end of the chapter with all might.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's been stated that All Might was actually a pretty terrible teacher to teach OfA. He was a genius at using it, so he had no way of explaining it to someone that didn't innately know how to use it.

I feel like everything that's happened up until the Kamino Ward incident is, for the lack of a better term, the "prologue". All Might and All for One are effectively done, the symbol of peace is gone, and while Deku and co. have to take up that role, they aren't going to get there until the series is over. So in that sense, everything that's happened has ultimately been to create the world that Deku and Shigaraki have to deal with and eventually lead.
It's lit.
The prosperity of mankind is linked to keeping powerful evil-doers under control and so i don't think the world can be that "utopian". Who knows if hunger and enviromental issues,or real wars are a thing in this world.
What if end game Villian's have quirks that has disasterous effects on the environment? Like one person releases an inordinate amount carbon dioxide into the air. Maybe multiple people people doing this. It sounds silly but perhaps Horikoshi could add more nuances to it.
The wording and sentences. I had trouble following what they were talking about towards the end of the chapter with all might.
Really? I didn't notice anything odd.

cntr

Banned
A carbon dioxide releasing quirk would be too silly, lol. The series is focused on personal and social issues, anyway, not "physical" issues.

cntr

Banned
I would be surprised if All Might was the number one hero across the world.
Wow, I totally missed this, but they already confirmed the hero ranking was Japan-only in Chapter 96.

ynEyMlj.jpg

Philippo

But can Batman beat All Might with enough prep time?
inb4 Deku is this world's Bats

But yeah, i'm totally expecting some international heroes, like, for someone as westaboo as Horikoshi, the No1 American hero is going to be so badass.

TheFlow

Banned
It's lit.

What if end game Villian's have quirks that has disasterous effects on the environment? Like one person releases an inordinate amount carbon dioxide into the air. Maybe multiple people people doing this. It sounds silly but perhaps Horikoshi could add more nuances to it.

Really? I didn't notice anything odd.
Think I read the chapter too fast

Meffer

For the most part I feel it's a utopia for acceptance of Quirks. Because when the manga brought it up, when quirks started occurring more often with each generation they were feared or reviled like the setting with X-Men. But after they became accepted because everyone would have a quirk. So they made the Act that made it so the buildings and such would accommodate any quirk. Granted there's still an issue with human nature so crimes and such occur, but not once have I seen any discrimination for quirks, even quirks of villains. They judge their actions and intent, not their quirk.

cntr

Banned
Yeah. We've seen no outright discrimination, though there's stereotyping like with Shinsou and Habuko (e: and Deku, for that matter). Which is still an issue, but the world is Professor X's ultimate dream.

More generally, it's implied that most characters have matching personalities because of their quirks, the inverse of something like Stands or Nen, where the power is generated from the personality.

HStallion

Wow, I totally missed this, but they already confirmed the hero ranking was Japan-only in Chapter 96.

Didn't remember that. It makes sense. Its not like we see All Might taking off to go knock somebody out in South America or anything. Would be curious if there is a world ranking of heroes and who, if possible, could out do someone like All Might.

A carbon dioxide releasing quirk would be too silly, lol. The series is focused on personal and social issues, anyway, not "physical" issues.
I should've phrased that better; I was thinking along the lines of what if the byproduct of a quirk was releasing carbon. The quirk isn't actually carbon dioxide. Besides, whose to say the series won't take on physical issues in the future? Especially if the world becomes involved.
The rest of the world is going to have to come into play at some point.
I agree.

Given the disparity between All Might and everyone else, I imagine he was #1 in not just Japan, but the whole world. Someone like Endeavor would probably be way (way) down the world list though.

cntr

Banned
There might not be a world ranking list at all, but yeah, All Might must've been legendary. The dialogue mentions that even the US flipped out over his retirement, which actually might imply that Japanese heroes aren't that important, if it's an unusual thing?

Net

Maybe we'll get a "foreign trip" arc.

Ponygirl can show them all the wonders of that magical land, America.

HStallion

Maybe we'll get a "foreign trip" arc.

Ponygirl can show them all the wonders of that magical land, America.

Where even the quirks are bigger. Then again knowing the ways these series go I'm waiting for some crazy quirks to show up in the villains at some point. You know there is going to be a dude who can stop time or something along those lines.

I'd love a small country that is kept safe by literally one hero with a fucking stupidly strong power.

Hell, what if there was a country that was a totalitarian regime in control of a dude who has mind powers?

Where even the quirks are bigger. Then again knowing the ways these series go I'm waiting for some crazy quirks to show up in the villains at some point. You know there is going to be a dude who can stop time or something along those lines.
Or who could drop meteors with his mind while his quirk is taking energy around him and manipulate it into a living armor. With this quirk he could solo the entire Japanese quirk army in his red armor

giphy.gif

HStallion

Or who could drop meteors with his mind while his quirk is taking energy around him and manipulate it into a living armor. With this quirk he could solo the entire Japanese quirk army in his red armor

giphy.gif

Bakugou's great great great great grandfather?

giphy.gif

I just got through Naruto don't be putting that evil on me.

(Btw the end was by and large better than the middle if you just turned off your brain for 90% of each fight)

So you want them to run into Victor von Doom

Oh my god, yes. I would LOVE to see Horikoshi's take on Doom.

Y'know, I was gonna make a KNEEL BEFORE ALL-FOR-ONE joke, but then I realized that we have no idea what his actual name is, do we? His power is AFO, but we have no idea of the man's name, assumed or otherwise.

Also, I wonder if magic is a thing in MHA. Supernatural elements are a time-honored part of most superhero 'verses; we've got powers, we've got mad science (albeit low grade), it would make sense for magic to make an appearance.

cntr

Banned
We'll probably find out All for One's real name when we get his backstory. Bets on it being a pun.

No way we're getting actual magic in the series. It might work for general cape comics, but it ain't going to work in a battle shounen, not one where fights depend on limited movesets and being clever. Quirks, martial arts, and tech are the mainstay powers.

HStallion

We'll probably find out All for One's real name when we get his backstory. Bets on it being a pun.

No way we're getting actual magic in the series. It might work for general cape comics, but it ain't going to work in a battle shounen, not one where fights depend on limited movesets and being clever. Quirks, martial arts, and tech are the mainstay powers.

I'm still not exactly sure what bird boy's shadow power is supposed to be. I mean its a quirk but it certainly seems very... supernatural?

cntr

Banned
Yeah, quirks are reality-bending. But that's different from magic, because aside from All for One shenanigans, you can only have one, and what your quirk does is relatively limited.

Bakugou's great great great great grandfather?
Impossible. Said user would be alive. Unless
I just got through Naruto don't be putting that evil on me.

(Btw the end was by and large better than the middle if you just turned off your brain for 90% of each fight)

Also, I wonder if magic is a thing in MHA. Supernatural elements are a time-honored part of most superhero 'verses; we've got powers, we've got mad science (albeit low grade), it would make sense for magic to make an appearance.
I have no problems reading the entire thing, really. Soft spot in my heart for it.

I don't know about magic or the supernatural. There isn't really anything in the world that seems to be beyond reason.

cntr

Banned
They have some science fictiony high tech, like holograms, semi-sentient robots, rocket boots, exoskeletons, and giant robots. Quirks are outright reality-bending.

And no way we aren't eventually getting an "Iron Man" in the series.

HStallion

They have some science fictiony high tech, like holograms, semi-sentient robots, rocket boots, exoskeletons, and giant robots. Quirks are outright reality-bending.

And no way we aren't eventually getting an "Iron Man" in the series.

Kawaiiron Man with his notice me missles and ugu reactor

You can do magic with limited powersets, as long as you establish clear guidelines for what does and does not work, and stick to them.

Impossible. Said user would be alive. Unless

I have no problems reading the entire thing, really. Soft spot in my heart for it.

I don't know about magic or the supernatural. There isn't really anything in the world that seems to be beyond reason.

Oh, I don't think we've seen any, but "secret world of magic" is hardly an uncommon trope.

cntr

Banned
You can do magic with limited powersets, as long as you establish clear guidelines for what does and does not work, and stick to them.
Yeah, but zero chance it's happening. It'd derail the setting.

And quirks are that limited magical powerset. You don't need to go far beyond that.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I think the author uses a "Rule of Cool" for most of the powersets. I've said it before, but he tends to not really explain them unless it is to do something else. Like we learn about Bakugou's exploding sweat to justify that fucking cannon in his gloves. Or that Icey gets frost burn from too much use unless he uses his fire and then he is OP. Really doubt we will ever get "magic," maybe stuff like Haki that's more or less ki stuff you get from martial arts?

I'd love if Mei's final form was Iron Man, and I'd love it even more if her real final form was alcoholism.

The first is definitely going to happen.

The second, maybe if we follow the kids all the way to college :p

Yeah, but zero chance it's happening. It'd derail the setting.

And quirks are that limited magical powerset. You don't need to go far beyond that.

Mmm, disagree. They don't have to be made into a central part of the cast, but the bigger the 'verse, the better. Adding magic users and giving them internal conflicts and all that adds a dimension that's currently absent, and keeping them on the sidelines makes it really feel like there's more going on, which is always nice.

For example... you ever read Kekkaishi? There was this one guy who showed up for an arc, used a totally different system than anything encountered by the protagonists, and then... left, right at the end of it, because dammit he had shit to do. It really added depth to the setting, this idea there there's struggles and conflicts going on out there that the main cast can't even dream of. Magic could play a similar role here. Bring in some new baddies that operate in a totally alien way, some new allies who can fight on their level, and then put the whole thing out of mind again until it's appropriate for them to crop up.

cntr

Banned
I'm not sure where this line of reasoning came from in the first place, but I strongly disagree. It works for Kekkaishi since it's already a supernatural show, but My Hero Academia is a near-future world with superpowers. Even if it was a one-off or minor thing, it happening at all would go against everything in the setting and tone.

As good as a writer Horikoshi is, he's not going to pull that off, which is why he's not going to do it. It just wouldn't work. If you want something weird, just make it a quirk.

HStallion

I don't expect magic either simply because I don't really see the need for it when you already have things like antigravitiy powers.

And horikoshi established that world as ours, except there was a point in time where people developed powers (and that probably accelerated technology development). A magic system would clash with what was already structured.

cntr

Banned
It slowed down technological development, actually, since Deku mentions that they probably would've had a space age if quirks hadn't changed everything. All the tech is just near-future science fiction stuff.

HStallion

And horikoshi established that world as ours, except there was a point in time where people developed powers (and that probably accelerated technology development). A magic system would clash with what was already structured.

...or it was magic all ALONG

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
It slowed down technological development, actually, since Deku mentions that they probably would've had a space age if quirks hadn't changed everything. All the tech is just near-future science fiction stuff.

"Except without any of the explanations, science, and cultural thought that's indicative of the genre" I say, in a dry wheeze as dust and blood putter out through my rotting teeth.
Yes, I'm still salty about it CNTR

Also why do you guys go to the gravity powers as the example of "Don't need to explain shit" instead of the guy that literally turned people into Cronenberg's?

Don't remember that much, but Deku said that because of the conflicts/wars that arised from the quirk discovery and use?

Doesn't really make sense to me either. Didn't wars actually accelerate the development of technology?

cntr

Banned
Don't remember that much, but Deku said that because of the conflicts/wars that arised from the quirk discovery and use?

Doesn't really make sense to me either. Didn't wars actually accelerate the development of technology?
I don't think it was a war, as much as "society collapsed". But quirks had to have helped society get working again, so in that sense yeah some tech was invented with them.

Whether wars accelerate tech is disputed, but that's not really important.

Top Bottom