• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
Remember how Horikoshi mentioned that the series was originally set in university then switched to being set in high school on the advice of his editor?

Wonder if the "internships" thing is a residue from that, 'cause the way it works is a lot more like university/trade school internships than anything normal high school

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Remember how Horikoshi mentioned that the series was originally set in university then switched to being set in high school on the advice of his editor?

Wonder if the "internships" thing is a residue from that, 'cause the way it works is a lot more like university/trade school internships than anything normal high school

Super hero college would be a mess. Those super hero frats would be the stuff of nightmares.

cntr

Banned
Nah, they don't have frats.

From what I know, finish high school and going to college is where you start being "a serious adult" in Japan, as opposed to the US, where college being where you become an adult. That's why so stories are set during college in English fiction but high school in Japanese fiction.

...so if you think about it, Horikoshi was possibly being a serious westaboo to consider setting a coming-of-age story in a university, lol.

caliph95

Does Japan have frats? I feel like that's a super American thing because I can not imagine a tiny Asian man going to school for business doing a keg stand.

I assume is an american thing because my uni doesn't have frats and i only heard of them in relation to American universities in comedies.

Nah, they don't have frats.

From what I know, finish high school and going to college is where you start being "a serious adult" in Japan, as opposed to the US, where college being where you become an adult. That's why so stories are set during college in English fiction but high school in Japanese fiction.

...so if you think about it, Horikoshi was possibly being a serious westaboo to consider setting a coming-of-age story in a university, lol.

I don't feel like the US had many stories set in college either though?

HStallion

I was mostly joking about the frat thing but I imagine a bunch of 18 year old super powered beings getting shit faced and playing beer pong before blowing the table up with their fire power or something along those lines.

cntr

Banned
I'd be surprised if that doesn't happen, lol

A bunch of drunks using their quirks, and heroes having to go knock them out and drag them away.

cntr

Banned
From the manga general:

wJ5ceOf.jpg

HStallion

From the manga general:

I haven't read the new chapter yet but I'm guessing these 3 are full on call outs to the big 3 mangas? One guy looks a helluva lot like Sasuke and the other guy looks like Luffy mixed with Tintin or the Pipboy. The girl... not as sure, Bleach maybe?

cntr

Banned
I haven't read the new chapter yet but I'm guessing these 3 are full on call outs to the big 3 mangas? One guy looks a helluva lot like Sasuke and the other guy looks like Luffy mixed with Tintin or the Pipboy. The girl... not as sure, Bleach maybe?
No, it's an edit

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Anyone wanna place early bets onto what this "rumor" about Deku is? I'm betting it'll be played up as something serious like "Do they know about All Might and me?" and it'll be revealed to be "Did you hear about that lovers quarel between the first years???"

I dunno, full on call outs sounds a bit extreme. Edit: Nvm I thought he was being serious, not falling for the edit

cntr

Banned
DC and Marvel both use it...though yeah now that I think about it, yeah it's definitely the DC Big Three he's referencing, lol.

Veelk

Banned
You know, you have to commend Horikoshi for ambition in taking such disparate styles and making them work in his singular manga. He has normal anime with the Class A students, intricately detailed horror with the villains, the police chief is a hyper realistic dog, and now we have this tintin motherfucker.

I personally don't like Tintin, so it is kinda jarring for me, but I admire his ambition to make it all fit.

Veelk

Banned
Marvel is more balanced in it's representation than DC. The Big 3 of DC are legitimately bigger than all other heroes of the DC universe. With Marvel, those 3 are famous, sure, but not much more so than Hulk, or Charles Xavier, or Mr. Fantastic...Carol Denver's was leading the charge against Iron Man in Civil War II, etc. If Thor, Cap, and Iron man are the Big 3, they're not much bigger than everyone else. Supes, Bats, and Wondy, however, loom.

cntr

Banned
Yeah it's a bit weird since Spiderman usually goes off on his own adventures, even if he does everything in the same universe as everybody else, so he technically isn't part of the universe's "big three"

I'm more intrigued by the scars on Tin-tin's arms and his open mouth sharp teeth belt buckle. That's some dichotomy of image from his face.

It's not like Wonder Woman was always super popular or that popular to be fair.

Wondy has sort of the Superman problem, where she's more iconic than she is popular nowadays. Fucking everyone knows Wonder Woman, even though her moment-to-moment pop cultural appeal generally isn't that high. Still, she's had her moments.

That guy has some big fucking fists. Then again it might just be the perspective.

I think it's just the perspective.

I'll also take this opportunity to second the comment somebody made earlier about Horikoshi really getting some mileage out of mixing disparate styles. Tintin dude is genuinely strange looking, even by MHA standards.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I mean, that's the term lol, didn't say it made sense

They aren't the big three though. We are talking comics, not MCU Movies.

Wondy has sort of the Superman problem, where she's more iconic than she is popular nowadays. Fucking everyone knows Wonder Woman, even though her moment-to-moment pop cultural appeal generally isn't that high. Still, she's had her moments.

Wonder Woman's place in pop culture was cemented by her TV show. In 1975 there were only 3 fucking channels to choose from. Plus CBS wasn't airing anything that year in Spring so it was either watch Wonder Woman or Little House on the Prairie.

DEAD at those designs, Horikoshi never stops delivering.

All might probably saw a hint of evil to not choose that dude for carrying on One for All.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
DEAD at those designs, Horikoshi never stops delivering.

All might probably saw a hint of evil to not choose that dude for carrying on One for All.

That belt. And being a creeper.

I still find it hilarious that Deku's facial expression implied he was ready to smash someone's face in. He's probably on guard though because of the legion of doom.

cntr

Banned
You know, you have to commend Horikoshi for ambition in taking such disparate styles and making them work in his singular manga. He has normal anime with the Class A students, intricately detailed horror with the villains, the police chief is a hyper realistic dog, and now we have this tintin motherfucker.
Don't forget All Might! Both forms.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I'm with Flow on this. "The *Insert descriptor* *insert #*" naming convention to designate the top whatever of a setting is the most shonen of shonen tropes. Thinking it's a specific reference is a little reaching. Not everything has to be a reference. You guys are actually reminding me of how crazy I got in the SH community in terms of reference. Brings a little proud tear to my eye.

I'm more intrigued by the scars on Tin-tin's arms and his open mouth sharp teeth belt buckle. That's some dichotomy of image from his face.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice the belt. You're right, there is a dichotomy, and the author loves his character swerves. I bet this guy is a beast and here's why! So his power is probably a phase power like Kitty Price (or whatever her name is, western comics are for neeeeeerds) or like that one dude from JoJo Part 5 that could basically swim through surfaces. Now that can be pretty good, but what would be so OP he could be the top student? What if he could pull dudes into a surface? Sneaks behind a villian, "Hey there friend!" then pulls them into a wall and leaves them there. Boom, super immobilized! Doubly so if he works like Part 5 guy and can just zip around the place like nobody's business.

I wonder if we'll get some kind of demonstration? An example of what more pro-like heroes are to give an idea of the gap in experience or something?

Asui's hands? - Big
Asui's eyes?- Big
Asui's feet?- Big
Asui's legs?- Big
Asui's ____?- Big

You know where I thought this was going because you thought it too.

Yeah, unless she's hiding something through some frog powers, that's not happening.

Wonder which one of the Big Three is Toga.

Top Bottom