• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Please do this to me! I doubt we are going to see Toga or the VIllian's Alliance for a hot minute so I need every bit of hope I can get!!!

They're going to teleport into the classroom for some monologuing next issue and we'll meet the new villain footjob

TheFlow

Banned
lol. I am surprised we didn't see the standard upperclassman shitting on underclass trope though. Probably no time due to the invasions

wJ5ceOf.jpg

selious

Neo Member
Is it coincidence the 'Big Three' have a strong One-Piece/Bleach/Naruto vibe? I figured it was a play on the top three in Shonen Jump, look at that open shirt and straw hat.

caliph95

Is it coincidence the 'Big Three' have a strong One-Piece/Bleach/Naruto vibe? I figured it was a play on the top three in Shonen Jump, look at that open shirt and straw hat.

Sorry to tell you but that's an edit in the actual chapter they dressed like normal students.

Meffer

It's not like All Might was against choosing him. All Might decides what he feels is right. Choosing Deku was the spur of the moment knowing he was the right choice.

I think the rumour that Tintin is referring to is about the two students who fought at night.

"rumor's going around that you're one of the students that fought last night" blah blah

Or maybe Tintin saw them fight.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I think the rumour that Tintin is referring to is about the two students who fought at night.

"rumor's going around that you're one of the students that fought last night" blah blah

Or maybe Tintin saw them fight.

Na, Tintin already stated that he knew he fought a couple of panels before that when he said "you did a bad thing after all, I thought I'd surprise you".

Someone astute could probably pick out who was missing from the ceremony.

The rumor is something else. Whatever it is, it's likely going to be bad because he told Deku to "have his wits about him".

Watch Deku Toga kill Tintin.

So wait, does that mean Horikoshi just isn't into American comics, he reads European comics?

Phase guy's aesthetic isn't exclusively a European comics thing. Rather, I'd say he's influenced by early 20th century - golden age - aesthetic rules, which is part of why I suspect a connection with All Might, who runs on a similar invocation of (relative to the medium) older, non-standard design. Think not just Tintin, but also Popeye and Billy Batson as drawn by C.C. Beck.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, true, it was a 20s American comics thing too. But that's kind of weird in itself, because it's a Japanese guy referencing comic art from freaking 1920s America.

New Vigilante chapter out!

This really does keep getting better. At this point, the only thing I really dislike is Pop*Step's costume. Girl needs to step it up. But it was nice to see Not!Cyclops and Not!Wolverine come back, that was fun.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Same boat as CNTR, though i have been in the mood for something "different" in that universe so maybe I'll give it a look sooner than later. That said, as a rule of thumb, I hate spin off stuff. I am one of those people that said "Bioshock 2 ruins the integrity of the first one!" and I also like Bioshock 2.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm waiting for a character inspired by Giger and Moebius. The villain with a dick in his mouth is gonna be the best

The last dude in the big three is great. I hope he will actually have some epic ability, and also wont be the punching bag of the three characters, since series love to do that to characters of his type :(

cntr

Banned
I got a friend to start reading MHA today, and I reread Chapter 1 because hey, why not.

I've been thinking of the Mount Lady scene at the beginning as being one of those "too much fanservice" moments...but it turns out that it's literally just one panel, with a relatively tasteful pose.

So turns out that my memory of it being heavy fanservice is just from the anime, since they extended and played up that scene by a lot, lol.

I hope we aren't seeing a Bleach situation where you start introducing 400 characters and it all gets overwhelming for both the reader and the author

Nairume

Banned
I hope we aren't seeing a Bleach situation where you start introducing 400 characters and it all gets overwhelming for both the reader and the author
Out of curiosity, I checked on where Bleach was at during this point at its 122nd chapter, and it was in the middle of Soul Society (specifically Ishida fighting Kurotsuchi). Meaning the series was "only" juggling Ichigo's core group, his school friends, his family, Urahara's group, and then a decent chunk of Soul Society. You could probably make an argument that the cracks were already starting to show here, but it seemed like that was at least enough for Kubo to handle.

Meanwhile, Horikoshi is already dealing with a much larger cast that includes Deku and his whole class (most of whom factor in prominently), the teaching staff at UA, the heroes that exist outside of the teaching staff, the "rival" class in 1B, the ever growing list of villains, whole other academies full of characters that are clearly intended to return, and prominent "civilian" characters (Deku's mom, All Might's cop friend) who all rotate in and out of the series at a rate that Horikoshi seems to be managing well so far.

It does really help that Horikoshi introduced a lot of these characters really early on, so he and the readers were all pretty quickly acclimated to dealing with a large cast of characters. I think we will be fine if things keep growing, though I imagine he probably has some sort of contingency for dealing with things if the roster does eventually get unmanageable for him and the reader.

cntr

Banned
It helps that Horikoshi has a fantastic grasp on body language, so you don't need to allocate time for a character to have dialogue, you can figure out what a character is like just by looking at them.

When a character is so old school
they get Ben-Day dots.

iKcsuSS.png

But yeah, as expected his ability is to phase through things, but they seem to be emphasizing
its application as being what makes it so OP. Not just how he can't be hit, but also how he regains form at precise points while moving around quickly to defeat his foes

T̶i̶n̶t̶i̶n̶ Mirios a beast.
little under 6seconds for 10 people.
there was a lot of great panels this chapter and he looks so much like all might in a lot of them.
cool guys a wuss lol

Cerium

If he's more powerful than Endeavor... why is this the first time we're hearing of him? How could he not be more famous?

Jintor

deku specifically said that tintin came, like, almost nothing in last year's sports festival. presumably he's hiding his power against the public or something.

Top Bottom