• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Veelk

Banned
I like the big 3.

If they fight not-sasuke, someone needs to at some point go "I don't know about you, but I'm a potato" in glados voice.

The girl has a fun personality. I want to know what her quirk is though.

Tintin is fucking hilarity incarnate

So last page said Tintins internship was with a "certain hero"

All Might?
Orrr

Also had a hard time understanding 3rd year girl. She was talking about Tintin giving up being a hero right?

Need to see Viz translations

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
TitTin did his internship with All Might, didn't he?

Also his weakness is likely that he has to become solid to hit/touch someone.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
If he's more powerful than Endeavor... why is this the first time we're hearing of him? How could he not be more famous?
It's like LeBron James in high school. Scouts knew him well but he didn't become a household name until college and the pros.

deku specifically said that tintin came, like, almost nothing in last year's sports festival. presumably he's hiding his power against the public or something.
Or he was embarrassed by/disqualified for being naked in front of the entire stadium crowd.

Bowl0l

So last page said Tintins internship was with a "certain hero"

All Might?
Orrr

Also had a hard time understanding 3rd year girl. She was talking about Tintin giving up being a hero right?

Need to see Viz translations
Probably using his power will make him naked. I'm very sure that he's a full time flasher before he interned with a hero, hence giving up to be a hero.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Mirio is basically Kitty Pryde on steroids (or rather on Shonen Manga drugs). He's awesome!

Interesting to see how Amajiki and Hadou work.

TheFlow

Banned
his power makes him naked is so funny. that is why that guy said his power is something not to be envious of. lol

fucking love this dude.

Veelk

Banned
See, I kind of like it when people take powers to their logical conclusions, but the story doesn't go all the way with it.

Like, his clothes fall off when he is using his phasing powers. But whats keeping him on the ground? Shouldn't he be falling through the earth? We know that he once did come out of the ground. Whats he grabbing onto that's pushing him him against gravity? Or does he phase in such a way that gravity doesn't affect him either? But if he's phasing to that extent, doesn't that mean he shouldn't be able to breathe, since his lungs can't inhale or exhale intangible air? What constitutes as being and not being part of his body? Shouldn't poop fall out of him as soon as it leaves the colon, since after that it's mostly a matter of just traveling out the last of of the digestive tract before being excreted from the body?

cntr

Banned
The top three are hilarious. Tintin's comedy and intimidation at the same time, and it's great. Love the edgy-looking guy being really shy.

And did Deku just go "WTF?!" there?

See, I kind of like it when people take powers to their logical conclusions, but the story doesn't go all the way with it.

Like, his clothes fall off when he is using his phasing powers. But whats keeping him on the ground? Shouldn't he be falling through the earth? We know that he once did come out of the ground. Whats he grabbing onto that's pushing him him against gravity? Or does he phase in such a way that gravity doesn't affect him either? But if he's phasing to that extent, doesn't that mean he shouldn't be able to breathe, since his lungs can't inhale or exhale intangible air? What constitutes as being and not being part of his body? Shouldn't poop fall out of him as soon as it leaves the colon, since after that it's mostly a matter of just traveling out the last of of the digestive tract before being excreted from the body?

You must really empathise with the new girl.

Nightbird

Like, his clothes fall off when he is using his phasing powers. But whats keeping him on the ground? Shouldn't he be falling through the earth? We know that he once did come out of the ground. Whats he grabbing onto that's pushing him him against gravity? Or does he phase in such a way that gravity doesn't affect him either? But if he's phasing to that extent, doesn't that mean he shouldn't be able to breathe, since his lungs can't push or pull the oxygen out of him? What constitutes as being and not being part of his body? Shouldn't poop fall out of him as soon as it leaves the colon, since after that it's mostly a matter of just traveling out the last of of the digestive tract before being excreted from the body?

I think, for simplicity's sake, that his power only affects things touching him from outside, so body functions should not be affected by that.

Also, i think it's stated that he can also make his powers only be active on certain parts of his body instead of the entire body all the time, hence why he isn't constantly falling trough the ground

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This episode finally addressed a problem I had. Even yesterday I was criticizing the fact that Deku is shown to be a hero nerd, but seems to be surprised by heroes or student that he should have known about. A hero nerd like him would have definitely been watching the UA festival.

cntr

Banned
Note that the "airhead" girl is also the one to know everything about the class.
She's airhead Deku.
He mentions having to "adjust" his power in the chapter, so I think the implication is that he's accidentally phasing through his clothes. His powers also seem to activate when he holds his breath, since it's always closed when he phases and open when he isn't.. (But probably lets him remained overlapped, given the last chapter?)

But quirks aren't really meant to be analyzed in terms of general physics/biology. They're consistent by internal logic, and that's what matters in the end, right? The way he phased through their attacks is what's internally logical, and it was dope.

TheFlow

Banned

you overthinking it bruh

Trojita

*Cough*

Bah. People always think that explaining powers means encyclopedia entries explaining the thermodynamics of ki-heat transference or some shit.

You don't need much so long as you have A system that keeps an eye on how one thing affects another.

Semantics. It basically comes down to understanding the reason something happens. With Bakugou, we're just left scratching our heads, because if he is using actual explosions similar to nitroglycerin, then something is not working right here.

But I think what is missed in these debates is that it is almost always a minor point. It is a definite flaw and the manga would definitely be slightly better if we didn't have this confusion over it.

However, I've never read a work where me going "Wait, that's not how it works..." one time was an actual killing stroke for the experience. It's when it happens multiple times, to the point where I can no longer believe in the world presented to me, that I actually get angry over it.

Honestly, the manga handles the powers more realistically than most, I'd say. Not just the powers themselves, but how the world has reacted to them. They became normalized, registered, and a legal system has been designed around them. One for All powers have specific systems that Midoriya is taking care to learn in an intelligent manner.

It's not perfect. I think the premise of "everyone gets superpowers" is impossible to be perfect, to be honest. But it's doing a decent job overall. Bakugou just happens to stick out a bit.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not sure everyone realizes that I think about stuff past the point of practicality for fun sometimes, not for criticism. Does anyone honestly think I'm seriously upset that I don't have an explanation for why Tintin's poop doesn't fall out of him? Come on.

TheFlow

Banned
I'm not sure everyone realizes that I think about stuff past the point of practicality for fun sometimes, not for criticism. Does anyone honestly think I'm seriously upset that I don't have an explanation for why Tintin's poop doesn't fall out of him? Come on.

latest

Trojita

I posted that as a joke.

cntr

Banned
Fair enough!

Imagine being Mirio as a kid, tho. You get your power, and your clothes fall off, and you probably start sinking into the ground. Awkward.

I was wondering if her power was analytical related since she even knew everyone's name.
She's definitely not an airhead, either.

Trojita

I mostly want to know THE WHY about Tin-tin's power that he is able to effectively knock out a big chunk of the class. Phasing is one thing, but the power to do that is another thing entirely.

Wonder if the explanation will be similar to Kitty Pryde's.

The use of her abilities also interferes with any electrical systems as she passes through by disrupting the flow of electrons from atom to atom, including the bio-electric systems of living bodies if she concentrates in the right way. This typically causes machines to malfunction or be destroyed as she phases through them, and can induce shock and unconsciousness in living beings.

cntr

Banned
No way it's something like that, lol. He's just a really good fighter, and being able to phase right through your enemies is a great advantage in a melee fight.

Trojita

No way it's something like that, lol. He's just a really good fighter, and being able to phase right through your enemies is a great advantage in a melee fight.

Well hopefully it is shown that he is, but the whole "all characters by default have a high strength and defense beyond a normal human" gets kind of old.

Not-sasuke criticized the kids for complimenting his quirk rather than his technique, so it's probably that.

True. Who is the hero he studied under? It wasn't All Might was it?

Trojita

ipDMABU.png

Also, was that confirmation that the Sports Festival is first-years only?

Back when the sports festival happened the later years had events happening after the freshman. Deku missed it all by being in the hospital.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ha! Called the zip around stuff! We all Jojo now!

Does anyone else really hate the name Big 3? It so.... generic and dull and like bleh. I knew we'd get a top number thing at some point but I was hoping for a snazzier name. Big 3 is just dumb.

Also side note: hahahahahahahahahahaha They waited for Deku for this dumb presentation but said "fuck you, Bakugou. Nobody likes you." Fucking dead.

Veelk I want you to know, I got your joke. But let's also not forget there are people who thought the one billion percent punch Deku did was literal and not hyperbole. This is not a place for jokes, only hard speculation.

Trojita

Ha! Called the zip around stuff! We all Jojo now!

Does anyone else really hate the name Big 3? It so.... generic and dull and like bleh. I knew we'd get a top number thing at some point but I was hoping for a snazzier name. Big 3 is just dumb.

Also side note: hahahahahahahahahahaha They waited for Deku for this dumb presentation but said "fuck you, Bakugou. Nobody likes you." Fucking dead.

Aizawa specifically mentioned they waited for Midoriya to do this lmao.

Well hopefully it is shown that he is, but the whole "all characters by default have a high strength and defense beyond a normal human" gets kind of old.

Ever since Stain, I'm pretty sure that was to be expected. It also applies to Bakugo and Toga as well.

Dude was superhuman as hell.

Trojita

Ever since Stain, I'm pretty sure that was to be expected. It also applies to Bakugo and Toga as well.

Dude was superhuman as hell.

I was alright with the Stain thing just because he didn't look like a normal human to begin with. I also let Orca's resistance pass because he's a whale based humanoid with unknown attributes and Deku was using only 5%, apparently, of his power.

Jarmel

Banned
True. Who is the hero he studied under? It wasn't All Might was it?
It was obviously All Might. He acts in a similar manner and All Might is probably very good if not amazing at melee combat which would be this kid's forte. Also the previous protege pretty much has the same hairstyle, which means him.

TheFlow

Banned
It was obviously All Might. He acts in a similar manner and All Might is probably very good if not amazing at melee combat which would be this kid's forte. Also the previous protege pretty much has the same hairstyle, which means him.

yea All might is the obvious answer. I wonder if Tintin knows

Jarmel

Banned
yea All might is the obvious answer. I wonder if Tintin knows
My guess is that he has some suspicion that it's either Deku or Baku and this whole 'fight' is a cover for him to verify that it's Deku.

Tintin's skills seems topnotch so I'm guessing there was a personality issue that got him ruled out.

Top Bottom