• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
moqEpQd.jpg

J30Lgu6.jpg

h0G9BN0.png

Edited into quotes for cntr.

cntr

Banned
Did you go look for other design submissions, or are those winning entries too?

and put those images in a quote box, they're too big

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Bubble Girl
Awada Kaoruko
Girl / 16 y.o. / 167cm
Quirk: Perfume Bubble — With this Quirk, she can make bubbles filled with aroma that she has smelled at least once before! She can make both sweet-smelling bubbles and foul-smelling ones. When she's too nervous, she produces very unpleasant-smelling bubbles!
"Getting used to it" is her biggest problem.

Bubble Girl
Awada Kaoruko
Girl / 16 y.o. / 167cm
Quirk: Perfume Bubble — With this Quirk, she can make bubbles filled with aroma that she has smelled at least once before! She can make both sweet-smelling bubbles and foul-smelling ones. When she's too nervous, she produces very unpleasant-smelling bubbles!
"Getting used to it" is her biggest problem.

family_guy_thats_nasty1.jpg

Crocodile

That was not the color scheme I was expecting when I saw her in the latest chapter LOL. A bit disappointing to be honest. I assume she's not going to be around much either way though. As an aside, I wasn't even aware there was a contest for hero submissions. When did the contest run?

Ascheroth

Edited into quotes for cntr.

I'm a bit disappointed because all of those look much better than Bubble Girl.

...But maybe Horikoshi knows that and that's why he's using Bubble Girl as a throwaway side character and wants to use those three in a better way?
*crosses fingers*

cntr

Banned
I doubt Horikoshi selected the design. Authors don't get to select the winner for contests like these, ime.

but yeah here's hoping

Bowl0l

I'm a bit disappointed because all of those look much better than Bubble Girl.

...But maybe Horikoshi knows that and that's why he's using Bubble Girl as a throwaway side character and wants to use those three in a better way?
*crosses fingers*
If that's true, that explains why Bubbles Girl gets the tickle torture in her debut chapter.

I like Bubble Girl. I have a weakness for alternate skin tones and underboob though, so whatevs.

I certainly hope Horikoshi didn't just write off this character and tried to make her look dumb. Imagine really loving a manga, seeing they're running a fan entry contest for heroes, coming up with a character you really love and actually winning, getting incredibly hyped that something you made actually gets to show up in your favorite manga, and then the author makes them look stupid and crumples them up into a trash can because he didn't get to choose it and he hates it. That seems like a real shit thing to do and completely demoralizing.

It's not like some 30 year old dude drew this so his self-insert fetish character could be in a random manga.

I even like her ability, that's a neat one that sounds kinda low-tier but you could do creative stuff with.

The other entries are really neat too, but this kinda seems like punching down at something that all in all isn't that 1. big of a deal or 2. offensive/shitty.

cntr

Banned
yeah, fair point. the underboob is really my only issue with her design, she seems cool enough otherwise

...but I doubt any of the fan-characters will be major. they'll all get the equivalent of cameos, and not much more.

Yeah, I mean, I don't expect her to fucking show up and one shot Stain in the future, her involvement is a nice appearance and...well, she might walk away in the next chapter and like that's it. I doubt we see a lot of her.

Unless she wins the popularity poll and the fandom explodes for her.

Then her and Ashido can team up as a band of off-color skin-tone girls that something something gimme my Ashido chapters Horikoshi

Metal B

Bubble Girl
Awada Kaoruko
Girl / 16 y.o. / 167cm
Quirk: Perfume Bubble — With this Quirk, she can make bubbles filled with aroma that she has smelled at least once before! She can make both sweet-smelling bubbles and foul-smelling ones. When she's too nervous, she produces very unpleasant-smelling bubbles! "Getting used to it" is her biggest problem.
This could be powerful, if those bubbles can be more than "just" smell and can recreate chemical ingredients. For example if she knows how chloroform smells, can she reproduce the smell with the same effect of the chemical. Or mix "smells" to create explosive chemical reactions.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Viz version is out.
Mineta's line was translated as "Who should I fantasize about today". Much cleaner and more likely what he said in Japanese.

tumblr_ol4dom1uLt1qmw0pko1_540.png

Oh nice we got the return of Kaminari enjoying some fun with Ojiro's tail, lol.

Pretty fun chapter, the Bakugou Todoroki scene was probably the best. Hopefully we get to see whatever they are up too and not just focus on Midoriya for the next few chapters.

Veelk

Banned
I think Horikoshi managed to make the underboob a little bit less silly in that sketch, haha

It gives me the impression that he had to go with whatever the fanart winner was, but is perfectly aware how skeevy it is.

I was just in a PM debate with someone about it actually a few days ago. Horikoshi does fanservice. There's no talking around it, he just does do it.

But I atleast get the feeling he's aware that he's playing with fire when he does it, so he keeps it to a minimal where possible and makes sure to add other stuff so it's not just female body exploitation.

cntr

Banned
Horikoshi's outfits are often questionable too, but he usually designs them in a way that they can be downplayed when he needs them to

bubble girl's doesn't quite work with that

Top Bottom