• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

NSESN

The guy in the entrance is the only one that we don't know how the quirk works, and also is the only one that doesn't fit with a precept of death.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I know you like Star Wars and all Horikoshi but you do really have to reference the prequels? Oh right, Kamino Ward is named after the stupid clone planet in Episode II.

That's all 8 of them right? These two went down really easily. Then again their quirks aren't really for fighting.

caliph95

I know you like Star Wars and all Horikoshi but you do really have to reference the prequels? Oh right, Kamino Ward is named after the stupid clone planet in Episode II.

That's all 8 of them right? These two went down really easily. Then again their quirks aren't really for fighting.
One is with the girls
Three were beaten by suneater
Two by Kirishima and Fatgum
And Mirio took out two

So yeah I think that's it

We were told that all Yakuza were trash, repeatedly. Eightfold Cleansers talked a big game (and had some pretty great uniforms), but so far the only one who might live up to the hype is Overhaul.

caliph95

We were told that all Yakuza were trash, repeatedly. Eightfold Cleansers talked a big game (and had some pretty great uniforms), but so far the only one who might live up to the hype is Overhaul.
Well no I'm mean some of the Bullets call themselves trash and I think Overhaul or mimic called them trash or sacrificial lambs

Though obviously they weren't talking about their skills :p

So I was thinking over the odds of Mirio surviving last night, and became even more confused as I realised that, in terms of long term narrative, one could argue it both ways.

Of Deku's increasingly numerous rivals, Mirio is the only one that is a hero, and isn't in the same year group. That would mean by the time Deku graduates, he'd already have a personal goal to chase - to become better than the man that seemingly should have taken his place.

Yet a shadow of that man could provide a similar effect, while leaving lingering doubt. Would Mirio have done it better? Would he have found a better way? Thus even if Deku were to conquer all his physical obstacles and goals, he'd still have a standard to live up to, going so far as he imagines the possibility.

Plus, given Deku has his own 'dangerous to the touch' villain to deal with, it would make sense to highlight with some... contrast, shall we say?

So I was thinking over the odds of Mirio surviving last night, and became even more confused as I realised that, in terms of long term narrative, one could argue it both ways.

Of Deku's increasingly numerous rivals, Mirio is the only one that is a hero, and isn't in the same year group. That would mean by the time Deku graduates, he'd already have a personal goal to chase - to become better than the man that seemingly should have taken his place.

Yet a shadow of that man could provide a similar effect, while leaving lingering doubt. Would Mirio have done it better? Would he have found a better way? Thus even if Deku were to conquer all his physical obstacles and goals, he'd still have a standard to live up to, going so far as he imagines the possibility.

Plus, given Deku has his own 'dangerous to the touch' villain to deal with, it would make sense to highlight with some... contrast, shall we say?

I see more benefit storywise in your second scenario, as much as i love Mirio.

And is fucking overhaul, he's probably going to try and dispose of Eri by touching her so Mirio will have to materialize to save her (so he touches him first), and then boom he is gone.

MrCinos

I'm surprised to see so many people thinking Mirio would die here. I just can't imagine a better target than Mirio for OH to use a complete quirk-removing drug for the first time. Other targets wouldn't be as dramatic or central to the plot.

MCD

I'm surprised to see so many people thinking Mirio would die here. I just can't imagine a better target than Mirio for OH to use a complete quirk-removing drug for the first time. Other targets wouldn't be as dramatic or central to the plot.

Yeah. I'm thinking the same here. Killing Mirio is easy but breaking his spirit and will is on another level. I hope the author does the latter.

Yeah. I'm thinking the same here. Killing Mirio is easy but breaking his spirit and will is on another level. I hope the author does the latter.

Ooooh, good point. It even allows that same issue of lingering doubt that would otherwise make killing him appealing on a narrative level - had Mirio gotten One For All, would he have been able to avoid that? Or would that have possibly been the end of One For All, the hope passed from generation to generation snuffed out by some punk trying to bring back the Yakuza? Hell, Deku still could transfer OFA to Mirio if he wanted to after that, give them a second chance at being a hero... or he could be selfish (even if understandably so).

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
No keep him there please, this is Shigaraki Tomura's story not the old gens.

He's got a long ways to go before he seems at all worth the main antagonist category. If he was dropped out right I wouldn't mind. Then again the villains have always been one of the weaker aspects of MHA in my opinion. Cool designs but a lot of them are pretty fleeting in the scheme of things and mostly just have a cool power or look.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
He's got a long ways to go before he seems at all worth the main antagonist category. If he was dropped out right I wouldn't mind. Then again the villains have always been one of the weaker aspects of MHA in my opinion. Cool designs but a lot of them are pretty fleeting in the scheme of things and mostly just have a cool power or look.

Yeah, as we start to close out on this arc, thats my feeling too. Handu and his band of weirdos are supposed to be amateur hour, there is no excuse for these Yakuza guys. Even of the point is that they're supposed to be 2bit thugs or something, they're still 2bit thugs. Why should i feel tension for these last few months if the heroes are only up against 2bit thugs

LotusHD

Banned
Y'all couldn't handle AfO anyways

Definitely agree there. I mean there's exceptions like say Toga and Twice I guess, but that's not really the same, as they aren't villains that could carry an entire arc.

NSESN

I think Overhaul, Afo and Stain were very interesting tho. It is just the league that started boring and, while they are improving, are nowhere close to endgame villains yet.

Veelk

Banned
Again, I feel the major reason why the villains have little bite is because of how the setting is established.

Heroes are dominant and the institutions that empower them are largely non-corrupt nor incompetent. That means that the villains are the underdogs who can barely poke their head above water without heroes coming down on them. Even in this arc, as we're fighting the 2 bit thugs, we have several of the top 10 heroes coming down on their facility hard. It's not that the villains are weak individually - just look at the fight between rappa and Fat Gum. They had to struggle for their win. But on a large scale level, they can't compete with the Superhero industry.

Which is why I think the series is at it's most tense when the adults are away and the kids have to fend for themselves.

LotusHD

Banned
I think Overhaul, Afo and Stain were very interesting tho. It is just the league that started boring and, while they are improving, are nowhere close to endgame villains yet.

I don't think they're not interesting, or even bad per say, just that for me personally, they aren't really a highlight regarding why I enjoy this manga.

HStallion

I generally find super hero stories by their very nature live and die on the villains and MHA especially doesn't spend much time dwelling on the more mundane aspects of the students lives and the world around them. So while a lot of the villains are cool as immediate threats, few have left a lasting impression on me except some of the more disturbing ones like Moonfish and his fucking SCP level teeth growing power. They work for what they are but I can't help but want something a bit more substantial.

Veelk

Banned
I remember one quote by my favorite author that went something like "Setting up a world is boring, and the only reason to do it is so you can fuck it up. Like the way a kid sets up block towers just so he can pretend to be godzilla, the fun part is knocking that shit down."

That's kind of how I view the MHA world. Societal change has been alluded to for a long time and thats waht I want to see.

FlowersisBritish

Again, I feel the major reason why the villains have little bite is because of how the setting is established.

Heroes are dominant and the institutions that empower them are largely non-corrupt nor incompetent. That means that the villains are the underdogs who can barely poke their head above water without heroes coming down on them. Even in this arc, as we're fighting the 2 bit thugs, we have several of the top 10 heroes coming down on their facility hard. It's not that the villains are weak individually - just look at the fight between rappa and Fat Gum. They had to struggle for their win. But on a large scale level, they can't compete with the Superhero industry.

Which is why I think the series is at it's most tense when the adults are away and the kids have to fend for themselves.

I get that, and I think that's a good reason in the first part of this story before AFO, but this is supposd to be the villian's time to shine (I have gripes with this, but that's for another time)! All Might is gone man! We can do whatever! And in the first arc they're 2bit thugs (despite having cool designs and introduction! (maybe not that cool, just a 2spread page)). Like, this society has enough of a villain problem they can justify a super-max prison. Even the veteran villians that joined the VA that one time were better than these Yakuza, they had a serial killing cannibal, and a murder with one eye. We can only excuse poor villians as purposeful so much in this series.

HStallion

I remember one quote by my favorite author that went something like "Setting up a world is boring, and the only reason to do it is so you can fuck it up. Like the way a kid sets up block towers just so he can pretend to be godzilla, the fun part is knocking that shit down."

That's kind of how I view the MHA world. Societal change has been alluded to for a long time and thats waht I want to see.

Yeah and I still think he needs some more interesting villains if he's going to keep pitting our heroes against them over and over. I don't need the Joker or anything either, I'm just hoping for some Villains that don't just come and go only to high light that the Villain Society aren't themselves totally incompetent.

caliph95

You would think with the fall of All Might that it would introduce more threatening as the heroes would be "weaker" and emboldened the villains

Chase17

I thought the AFO fight ended with AFO being happy now that he has been able to let Shigaraki grow or something. Can't free AFO until Shigaraki shows any kind of that growth otherwise it cuts off any momentum he might have.

caliph95

Yeah Afo isn't going anywhere until Shigiraki becomes a significant threat and I'm betting with the destruction of yakuza and probably getting new recruits and resources like Rappa he's getting there

NSESN

The only reason AFO appeared in Kamino is because he knew that whatever the result he would benefit from it. Of course not being locked up and kidnapping Bakugo would be the best scenario, but in the end he made AM retire and the other heroes look like fools.

You would think with the fall of All Might that it would introduce more threatening as the heroes would be "weaker" and emboldened the villains

After rewatching newest eng dub episode on the aftermath of stain and his life history video I think he had the potential to be very threatening, or rather he was but it felt like so few chapters/episodes was spent on him and the people he off'd were not ever established as significant enough for readers to have emotional investments in, imagine of he had got like any of the ua teachers we always see etc.

FlowersisBritish

After rewatching newest eng dub episode on the aftermath of stain and his life history video I think he had the potential to be very threatening, or rather he was but it felt like so few chapters/episodes was spent on him and the people he off'd were not ever established as significant enough for readers to have emotional investments in, imagine of he had got like any of the ua teachers we always see etc.

Still waiting to find out what Stain said to that detective guy! I bet it's super important!

Lunar15

I have a good feeling about the villains. So much has been built in the right way. Stain planted the seed of an ideological divide that will create more villians. AfO made the country feel vulnerable without their main hero. And overall, everything has been leading to the worst outcome, which is the villains getting the ability to disable quirks.

Add in a traitor at UA and you have a recipie for shit hitting the fan at some point. It's slow going, but the author is doing a good job of building the characters.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
No way Mirio's quirk isn't being disabled :(

That's fucking dark with the amount of exposition we've had on how hard Mirio trained to turn an unusable quirk into a powerhouse.

...I only just realised something. Presuming we're all familiar with how Horikoshi deliberately plays with the aesthetic styles of his characters, so as to reflect what kind of character they are, in a comic book era sense. In particular, All Might and Mirio both played into old school western comic aesthetic tropes to kinda highlight, well, how the former is such an old school hero and the latter would have been a prime candidate to be his successor. Most often, this manifests in his simplified eye design, a pair of black dots.

For this chapter, you can actually see the iris of Mirio's eye.

kirblar

...I only just realised something. Presuming we're all familiar with how Horikoshi deliberately plays with the aesthetic styles of his characters, so as to reflect what kind of character they are, in a comic book era sense. In particular, All Might and Mirio both played into old school western comic aesthetic tropes to kinda highlight, well, how the former is such an old school hero and the latter would have been a prime candidate to be his successor. Most often, this manifests in his simplified eye design, a pair of black dots.

For this chapter, you can actually see the iris of Mirio's eye.
Play that doom song.

I mean, just because the villains are bolder doesn't mean they suddenly become more prepared or more dangerous.

The heroes has lost their star athlete, but the rest of the team is still top notch and they don't disappear because the star does.

Top Bottom