• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Look at Bakugou!

I hope next week is Todoroki and Kaminari.

CVBkUwkUkAEwMfg.jpg:large

Ahahahaha, that's great. I love how terrible a person he is, especially now that they've leaned a little bit more into his (few) redeeming qualities (determination, self-sacrifice, cleverness). Makes him into a very well executed "love to hate" type figure.

Decent chapter, I almost thought he would end up being a likeable person, but once that panel came up, why did he have to give him such a design like that. Since I avoided early chapters and some I guess I missed when he wasnt a bishonen?

I assume he'll be final boss after an All Might death arc [he is so going to die, sorry All Might]

Kaminari on the cover page!
CVFEr-1WoAA_Fmd.png

Excellent chapter was excellent.

I feel like Shigaraki and Stain might end up going toe to toe at some point. That'll be a hell of a fight if it happens.

Oh, and All Might is dead as fuck.

Grexeno

Excellent chapter was excellent.

I feel like Shigaraki and Stain might end up going toe to toe at some point. That'll be a hell of a fight if it happens.

Oh, and All Might is dead as fuck.
I feel like All Might probably won't survive much longer past the end of the first school year. I mean, his mentor also only taught a single year.

I feel like All Might probably won't survive much longer past the end of the first school year. I mean, his mentor also only taught a single year.

Seems like a reasonable guess. I'd say that he'll die shortly after the end of their first year, just before or during a major training thing with Deku.

SalvaPot

That was an excellent chapter, I got chills with the quoted page. I like the amount of focus we are getting on the villains and I liked that Ochako immediately realized the guy with Deku was up to no good, I hate when characters are easily fooled by obvious evil actions. I also liked how her first reaction was to call the police instead of giving him chase, seems they are learning their lessons.

I think its been pretty obvious All Might is going to die since the very beginning, only question is what type of dead are we looking forward to. Heroic Sacrifice? Student Mistake? Captured by the villains? Maybe he doesn't die and its transformed into a Nomu D8.

That was an excellent chapter, I got chills with the quoted page. I like the amount of focus we are getting on the villains and I liked that Ochako immediately realized the guy with Deku was up to no good, I hate when characters are easily fooled by obvious evil actions. I also liked how her first reaction was to call the police instead of giving him chase, seems they are learning their lessons.

I think its been pretty obvious All Might is going to die since the very beginning, only question is what type of dead are we looking forward to. Heroic Sacrifice? Student Mistake? Captured by the villains? Maybe he doesn't die and its transformed into a Nomu D8.

The typical old man/mentor shonen style death is a heroic sacrifice, but I feel like this dude wants to make an example of All Might. Maybe he wants to martyr him, maybe he knows he is actually weakened and wants to expose that for a public execution.

SalvaPot

The typical old man/mentor shonen style death is a heroic sacrifice, but I feel like this dude wants to make an example of All Might. Maybe he wants to martyr him, maybe he knows he is actually weakened and wants to expose that for a public execution.

Yeah, it sounds that more than killing All Might he wants to kill what he represents, as in peace and safety. So a public execution sounds like what he might want to do.

Also, is it me or the cast of villains still to small? I guess they are going to recruit more but there is A LOT of heroes compared to the number of villains. They either have to get more or have the ones that do have villain powers to be OP.

Yeah, it sounds that more than killing All Might he wants to kill what he represents, as in peace and safety. So a public execution sounds like what he might want to do.

Also, is it me or the cast of villains still to small? I guess they are going to recruit more but there is A LOT of heroes compared to the number of villains. They either have to get more or have the ones that do have villain powers to be OP.

I am sure there is some Every Villain is Lemons group out there but most of the villains seems to despise each other.

If they did figure out All Might can only fight for half an hour, they wouldn't need that much anyway if they had someone who could stall for time.

SalvaPot

I am sure there is some Every Villain is Lemons group out there but most of the villains seems to despise each other.

If they did figure out All Might can only fight for half an hour, they wouldn't need that much anyway if they had someone who could stall for time.

And his time is getting shorter and shorter, too.

Jarmel

Banned
My favorite shot in the chapter wasn't even the Ito art. It was this:

One man trying to replicate All Might's legacy and the other trying to tear it down. Really good mirror imagery. Excellent chapter as it helped to strengthen not only Shigaraki's character but his relationship to Deku.

This is probably the best/creepy looking panel in the entire manga.

it sorta sets him up as a larger than life character. someone so special that they are outside the realm of the common thematic feel of the art style.

no other character has that much detail and dedication in the lines given to them. it's almost like a scene from another manga.

the only other person with this motiff is all-might himself, who has a heavy line style to resemble american superhero mythos.

this puts them into major contrast of thin creepy lines and shadows (fit for a villain) and hard, stylistic lines for all-might (again, representing the idea of larger than life heroes).

a realistic imagery showing the harsh reality of life and cynicism, versus the idealistic aspects of the best humanity has to give (heroes).

putting both of them on their hierarchy.

Meffer

Well the manga replicates styles for characters based on certain ages or genres of comics. Like All Might based on golden age comics and Stain with edgy comics from the 90s.
And their standing and morals are based on the times they represent, All Might is protection, the symbol of peace. Stain can be considered an Anti Hero.

Rush_Khan

I only read English translations so forgive my ignorance. Is his first name Izuku or Midoriya? I keep seeing him referred to as just Midoriya but the wiki states his first name is Izuku? Is this a Japanese convention or something?

Puruzi

Banned
I only read English translations so forgive my ignorance. Is his first name Izuku or Midoriya? I keep seeing him referred to as just Midoriya but the wiki states his first name is Izuku? Is this a Japanese convention or something?

It's Izuku

Anime and Manga sometimes has characters being reffered to with their last names

no idea if that's how it happens in RL too

It's Izuku

Anime and Manga sometimes has characters being reffered to with their last names

Hell, that happens in English sometimes, addressing people by their last name. I also know people who are almost universally referred to by their full name.

It's odd.

First name's Izuku (although everyone calls him Deku so for most folks that will pretty much be his name), last name's Midoriya.

Kansoku

In Japan it`s more polite to call people by their family name. The first name is generally used by close friends, (immediate) family, etc.

cntr

Banned
It's Izuku

Yes, it does happen in real life Japan. It's the standard way to refer to strangers, superiors, and to be polite in general. But anime overexaggerates it.

This might seem weird to English speakers, but it's English that's "strange" here. Anglophone culture and language is unusually eglatarian and informal, and we often come off as shockingly rude to other cultures.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's also how Japanese names order it "Family Name First, Given Name Second". So when spoken in Japanese he's "Midoriya Izuku". Proper English translations switch it around, along with pretty much every other series.
Except for One Piece, and I think that's because nobody refers to Luffy as "Monkey", even though that's his Family Name.

SalvaPot

There's also how Japanese names order it "Family Name First, Given Name Second". So when spoken in Japanese he's "Midoriya Izuku". Proper English translations switch it around, along with pretty much every other series.
Except for One Piece, and I think that's because nobody refers to Luffy as "Monkey", even though that's his Family Name.

Yeah One Piece makes a big point out of how rude everyone is, since, you know, they are pirates, they don't follow rules. A good example is how most people call Trafalgar Law by his family name, since he is a bit intimidating.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So basically, according to what we can build on from this chapter, All Might failed to save someone important to the big bad. That or it was perceived like All Might failed.

Loved the new chapter,
not so much the new translation :p

This new arc is giving me some HSDK vibes, kicking them out in the middle of a monster-infested forest is a move straight out of Kenichi's masters' playbook. I approve.

All Might's statement about not being able to save everybody is... interesting. Definitely felt like a deflection. I'm in agreement that Shigaraki's Start of Darkness is from All Might failing to save somebody, but why hide that? Something's up.

All Might's "I can't save everyone" is very Superman, even though All Might obviously isn't as powerful as Superman.

Actually, other than the secondary abilities (flight, heat vision, supersenses), he's pretty close to a lot of incarnations. I'd put him on par with Animated Supes in a straight up brawl.

Top Bottom