• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

ryan13ts

Anyone have a guess what the crazy girl's quirk is? They mentioned her getting blood (from Uraraka) but we haven't seen her really do anything yet.

Maybe she has a blood-based ability like Stain?

You guys can't be serious about Black Cover being a good manga that's a bit lower than MHA. MHA blows it out of the water. It's not Fairy Tail bad, but it can become that bad if it continues with the random power ups because "never give up!!"

BC is what you get when you put Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tail into a blender and add a healthy dose of focus group testing into it. Though Jump is trying it's damnedist to prop it up as the next big manga, it's not showing much growth in volume sales and is probably much lower than they hoped they would be at this point.
This is pretty much what BC is, through and through.

dan2026

BC is what you get when you put Naruto, One Piece and Fairy Tail into a blender and add a healthy dose of focus group testing into it. Though Jump is trying it's damnedist to prop it up as the next big manga, it's not showing much growth in volume sales and is probably much lower than they hoped they would be at this point.

Jump tried that with Toriko.
And look what happened....

Granted Toei got their lazy hands on the anime, so that didn't help.

Prop it up as the next manga? Not really especially since Hero Academia is clearly getting all of the magazines love. I also dont see it from that standpoint especially since BLack Clover hasnt even been given an anime or vomic or drama thing at this point, its only got color pages and a cover this week? Theres also little to no merchandise so they arent really pushing it.

I also dont see how you think they are doing that when among its peers it survived and is selling better than Hinomaru Zumou, and better than the newer ones that debuted after it that are also receiving as many color pages as it (Mononofu, Samon, and the dance manga). And BLack Clover sales are growing, at v1 it was at 38K at v4 its at ~100K, and this week with V5 it ought to get over 135K for a volume debut. Sure it didnt start out at over 200K like Hero Academia, but BLack Clover is clearly getting to where most other series average at pre~anime.

BLack Clover is barely at its 1yr point, to count it out at this point in time is clearly odd. Its not llke its sales have stabilized or declined.

Nightbird

IT really didn't, because Toriko is actually a good series.
The world building is amazing in the series, and the action is also very good.

Chapter was kind of messy and I think he made a mistake. In the panel after Todoroki hands the guy to Uraraka, he instantly has him back on his back, but then the panel afterwards hes gone as Todoroki is doing an attack.

At least Todoroki got a cool panel. Weld guy has a good design too.
Cc92IoGW8AAj8PT.jpg

TheFlow

Banned
You guys can't be serious about Black Cover being a good manga that's a bit lower than MHA. MHA blows it out of the water. It's not Fairy Tail bad, but it can become that bad if it continues with the random power ups because "never give up!!"

This is pretty much what BC is, through and through.
Mha doesn't blow many things out of the water especially with this messy arc. But ok :)

Black clover getting a anime is going to be amazing

Prop it up as the next manga? Not really especially since Hero Academia is clearly getting all of the magazines love. I also dont see it from that standpoint especially since BLack Clover hasnt even been given an anime or vomic or drama thing at this point, its only got color pages and a cover this week? Theres also little to no merchandise so they arent really pushing it.

I also dont see how you think they are doing that when among its peers it survived and is selling better than Hinomaru Zumou, and better than the newer ones that debuted after it that are also receiving as many color pages as it (Mononofu, Samon, and the dance manga). And BLack Clover sales are growing, at v1 it was at 38K at v4 its at ~100K, and this week with V5 it ought to get over 135K for a volume debut. Sure it didnt start out at over 200K like Hero Academia, but BLack Clover is clearly getting to where most other series average at pre~anime.

BLack Clover is barely at its 1yr point, to count it out at this point in time is clearly odd. Its not llke its sales have stabilized or declined.

BC didn't debut at that...your comparing two weeks of sales for Vol 4 to 1 week of sales for Vol 4. The debut week numbers are the following:
Vol 1. 38,128
Vol 2. 61,918
Vol 3. 43,122
Vol 4. 56,951

So while a little improvement over the first volume, it hasn't shown much overall growth.

TheFlow

Banned
Fair enough, but it definitely blows Black Cover at it's current state.
Nope not even

Why are some you calling world trigger and black clover generic? starting to think you guys are either hardcore pushing mha which makes sense or haven't read the manga outside of the first 3 chapters

BC didn't debut at that...your comparing two weeks of sales for Vol 4 to 1 week of sales for Vol 4. The debut week numbers are the following:
Vol 1. 38,128
Vol 2. 61,918
Vol 3. 43,122
Vol 4. 56,951

So while a little improvement over the first volume, it hasn't shown much overall growth.

You cant use the debut week because some weeks its only has one or two days counted for sales and others it has the whole week (v2 vs v3).

Nightbird

Nope not even

Why are some you calling world trigger and black clover generic? starting to think you guys are either hardcore pushing mha which makes sense or haven't read the manga outside of the first 3 chapters

Make it 10 in my case :p (I still need to continue it)

And I'm not really badmouthing it. After the waves of Mangas that tried so much to do something completely different, something like BC, that is more "generic" is more than appreciated for me.

Nope not even

I haven't touched world trigger (though I'll look into it now, rec from a fellow Eyeshield fan carries some weight), but BC really is that damn generic. I think I'm only a couple chapters behind, too. You've got:

-Dumbass Shonen MC #1231097 with lots of power they don't really understand
-Crew of loons who doesn't take shit from nobody and is very powerful but gets no respect
-Mysterious evil dudes who are super powerful and super mysterious
-Dumbass Shonen MC #1231097 wins fights because MYSTERY POWER and SPIRIT

I just described Fairy Tail!

Two things its got going for it are the setting (which has the potential to be interesting, or turn into Bleach) and the rival, who has a somewhat entertaining relationship with the protag.

TheFlow

Banned
Eh that is a lot of manga^^ even MHA falls into those tropes you listed. What makes MHA different is the vast amount of different classmates

I am just going to discuss MHA here.

Nope not even

I haven't read World Trigger but I read Black Cover every week and every time a chapter (sometimes two) is released. I liked the beginning so I bothered to read it but of course it starts to get generic. Like I said earlier, the current fight has been going on for quite sometime now and new characters keep getting thrown into the mix and dragging it on. Besides, I never called MHA the best shounen but I think it's better and more focused than BC.
Eh that is a lot of manga^^ even MHA falls into those tropes you listed. What makes MHA different is the vast amount of different classmates

Who is the dumbass main character in MHA?

SalvaPot

Toriko had a great setting and detailed art going for it, its a shame it was not backed by interesting characters. The anime was just embarrassing with how poor the animation and art was handled.

Yeah, this is a MHA thread so its to be expected we would like MHA better than other series, specially since the show is growing ever more popular week after week.

I think what puts MHA over other series is how relatable the characters are in relation to the reader, just look back at the first three chapters. It starts so strong, with Deku becoming a Hero out of his own effort and with the guidance of the guy that is his idol. Then the other characters arrived and it showed how believable they feel as a class and as would-be heroes. Making characters that feel fresh is really hard to do, specially nowadays that anime and manga is getting more mainstream and classics are accessible to anyone to compare.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Toriko had a great setting and detailed art going for it, its a shame it was not backed by interesting characters. The anime was just embarrassing with how poor the animation and art was handled.

Along with poor art and animation, it didn't help that the early morning slot had them cut down the violence. It was like a 4Kids dub but not actually done by 4Kids. I kind of understood why when I saw a bunch of 4 year old kids dancing to the opening. But then there's One Piece, which mostly has its violence intact (some stuff gets cut like Whitebeard losing half his face). I guess it has seniority? Maybe it's the higher ratings.

World Trigger is boring. People say it's good now, but I can't get past the early chapters. Especially with the stupid faces. It's not going to be a major hit even with an ongoing anime (Toei doing an even worse animation job doesn't help).
Black Clover is about as generic as you can get. As others said, it puts popular series into a blender and adds a bunch of focus testing. Every element I've seen in another series, it is that bland. I don't get why Jump is pushing it so hard with all the color pages, the sales are low and the chapters that do get ranked are also low. I know Japan used to love it at first but that's probably due to Japanese kids have crap taste, or really missing Naruto. I doubt an anime could save it.

On-Topic: MHA is pretty awesome. I'm glad it's doing well and I hope the anime introduces the series to a lot more people. Izuku is a top-tier protagonist.

TheFlow

Banned

Yeah, this is a MHA thread so its to be expected we would like MHA better than other series, specially since the show is growing ever more popular week after week.

I think what puts MHA over other series is how relatable the characters are in relation to the reader, just look back at the first three chapters. It starts so strong, with Deku becoming a Hero out of his own effort and with the guidance of the guy that is his idol. Then the other characters arrived and it showed how believable they feel as a class and as would-be heroes. Making characters that feel fresh is really hard to do, specially nowadays that anime and manga is getting more mainstream and classics are accessible to anyone to compare.
true, good post

Along with poor art and animation, it didn't help that the early morning slot had them cut down the violence. It was like a 4Kids dub but not actually done by 4Kids. I kind of understood why when I saw a bunch of 4 year old kids dancing to the opening. But then there's One Piece, which mostly has its violence intact (some stuff gets cut like Whitebeard losing half his face). I guess it has seniority? Maybe it's the higher ratings.

World Trigger is boring. People say it's good now, but I can't get past the early chapters. Especially with the stupid faces. It's not going to be a major hit even with an ongoing anime (Toei doing an even worse animation job doesn't help).
Black Clover is about as generic as you can get. As others said, it puts popular series into a blender and adds a bunch of focus testing. Every element I've seen in another series, it is that bland. I don't get why Jump is pushing it so hard with all the color pages, the sales are low and the chapters that do get ranked are also low. I know Japan used to love it at first but that's probably due to Japanese kids have crap taste, or really missing Naruto. I doubt an anime could save it.

On-Topic: MHA is pretty awesome. I'm glad it's doing well and I hope the anime introduces the series to a lot more people. Izuku is a top-tier protagonist.

BLack Clover isnt always ranked low what are you talking about. Three of its last ranked five chapters were top five. Issue 7, 11, and 13.

VariantX

Shame about the anime. Was hyped for it when I saw the special done by ufotable and it was a lot darker in tone than the tv series version on top of just having far better animation. The show actually seemed to get worse and worse in the animation dept and became probably the worst thing I ever seen come out of toei this decade by the time we hit the four beast arc. I also think they blew all that shows budget and talent on the movie which is probably why the latter half looked like butt.

WarRock

World trigger is the secret best shounen the team battles are like rainbow six meets phantasy star online, when comes to combat there nothing like it, wish more shounen would copy it.

Read about 25 chapters of mha so far it feels a lot like Chunin exam naruto, I hope they give the other characters not in the main cast more screen time.
Well, now I'm going to read World Trigger.

Nightbird

After the whole BC discussion i decided to pick it up again, and ive now reached the battle against Marth (or whatever the name of the jewel guy is), and it's good! Not MHA good, but i feel like it's just as fast-paced and full with action.

I like it!

And i really need to get myself to continue Tokyo Gohul: re >.>

After the whole BC discussion i decided to pick it up again, and ive now reached the battle against Marth (or whatever the name of the jewel guy is), and it's good! Not MHA good, but i feel like it's just as fast-paced and full with action.

I like it!

And i really need to get myself to continue Tokyo Gohul: re >.>
Tokyo Ghoul re: is so good, get on it!

Cornbread78

Hey guys, I figured this is the best place for this. I'm putting together a spring preview thread for all the upcoming anime, something that has been asked of us a bunch of times in the anime community. With that being said, MHA is going to be one of the biggest ones
Even though the evil Funi got them
Within a paragraph, what is the best way to answer these two questions:

- What kind of show it MHA
- Why you should watch MHA

Sell me on it!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Moaradin

Super happy with this announcement. This means we'll most likely get a good dub and a pretty quick one at that. This also pretty much guarantees this airs on Toonami. Could be a couple months from now even.

SalvaPot

Hey guys, I figured this is the best place for this. I'm putting together a spring preview thread for all the upcoming anime, something that has been asked of us a bunch of times in the anime community. With that being said, MHA is going to be one of the biggest ones
Even though the evil Funi got them
Within a paragraph, what is the best way to answer these two questions:

- What kind of show it MHA
- Why you should watch MHA

Sell me on it!

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

I'll just quote myself from the manga OP with a few modifications

What is it about?
In a few words: A boy wants to be a hero but doesn't have any powers while everyone else in the world does.

Midoriya Izuku, a teenage boy in middle school, lives in a world where superpowers, known as "quirks", have become commonplace and are an active part of society. Midoriya too wants to become a hero and help people, but he is one of the rare cases who lack superpowers. Not one to give up, he still wants to join the best academy for aspiring Superheroes, Yuuei, and use his knowledge to be the best hero he can possibly be.

Should you read it?
If you liked shonen series like Katekyo Hitman Reborn!, One Piece, early Naruto and early Bleach, or even Hunter x Hunter and Yuu Yuu Hakusho. Yes. Yes you should. Without spoiling too much, this series is not afraid to go in unexpected directions with its characters and believes that Hard work > Born Power. What I'm saying is that Izuku is an underdog and if you love underdog stories you should totally read this.

I'll add to this that the strong points of the series are likable characters, fast pacing and striking art style. This is the next huge Anime series.

I'll just quote myself from the manga OP with a few modifications

I'll add to this that the strong points of the series are likable characters, fast pacing and striking art style. This is the next huge Anime series.

I thought it was an error but you typed Izuku as Izuki.... twice!
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ

TimmiT

Super happy with this announcement. This means we'll most likely get a good dub and a pretty quick one at that. This also pretty much guarantees this airs on Toonami. Could be a couple months from now even.

Kinda worried about the subs though. Crunchyroll usually seems to be better when it comes to subtitles.

Kansoku

First time was weird but i got used to it. Tho, that being said, I think it's a little darker then it used to be now? IDK I might be a little biased due the avatar I used to use:
qD81IpI.png

I really love how this turned out, might use it again.

Top Bottom