• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Jintor

I go on a lot about how kinda of workmanlike and vaguely mediocre I think the panelling can be, especially in action heavy scenes, so I wanted to step back and praise Horikoshi for his writing and his background actions.

Perhaps one of the reasons I find Boku no Hero kind of irritating to read during action scenes is that his focus rarely jumps out at me. To put it another way, his work is bad at leading the eye naturally to the most important thing in scenes; it's kind of busy. Part of the reason behind that is that, in almost every panel, something interesting is happening in the background.

Obviously the last few chapters have had a main story thread of "main villain vs main hero", even in group shots. But if you watch the background, you can usually tell that characters are doing something even while the main action, speech, exposition dump etc are going on. Deku spent most of last chapter #rekt, but Todoroki, Shouji were all doing shit that was very important to the outcome of the battle. Uravity made a sling for Deku a few chapters ago and it was never mentioned in dialogue, but was faithfully represented until he lost it getting #rekt again.

The other thing Horikoshi does that is really good is that side characters don't feel like they're waiting for their bit parts. Aoyama's otherwise deus ex machina last-second save becomes a defining character moment because he foreshadowed that Aoyama was a big fucking coward a few chapters ago. We don't hear from Shouji much but none of how he's acting is inconsistent with who he is and how he rolls.

tl;dr boku no heroe's pretty good

Meffer

I think one of the most important factors to take note of is that MHA takes inspiration from western comics and super hero comics in particular. I think that inspiration even even goes down to the format, storytelling and paneling. Now I'm not an avid of superhero comics but I always felt panels in them felt busy with a lot of detail. I actually enjoy the details in MHA because as you said, they tell so much about what's happening around the center of the story. That's all the students feel involved and why people like them so much.
I feel like he's taking elements from both western comics and manga which creates a refreshing and brisk pace.

Jintor

thank god he's not taking the bits from western comics where almost all of them look like crap lol

i kid, but it's still amazing to me some of that stuff gets published. I read a jubilee comic that was utterly horrendous the other day. I know, I know, sturgeons and all that, but...

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
tumblr_o32u5mzCps1rpeq1jo1_500.png

2 nsfw 4 me
O:

Meffer

thank god he's not taking the bits from western comics where almost all of them look like crap lol

i kid, but it's still amazing to me some of that stuff gets published. I read a jubilee comic that was utterly horrendous the other day. I know, I know, sturgeons and all that, but...

There was a recent video interview at his home and he had Marvel and DC figures all over his place.
But yeah his art is great and has a lot of impact.

CdhmDYdWoAAwuu4.jpg

Kaminari had several lines as did Kirishima, Im so glad they got screentime as I thought he forgot about the best students yet to do anything. I wish they did get to take part in the fighting. Kaminari was about to go all out even.

Sad chapter, Todoroki :( Bakugou :(

SalvaPot

I think Deku is not going to go, even if he wants to. He is too injured, he has to sit this one out. I can't shake the feeling that kidnapping Kacchan is a trap to get to All Might, since in the USJ he was the target too.

Jarmel

Banned
Yep this is totally the time when All Might goes. Going straight into an ambush lead by his friend on the police force.

Kids are going to watch All Might get crucified.

Meffer

I still haven't seen any proof she isn't tbh

She wears a thin, skin-tight unitard that she can pull off easily since her power is that her body can produce a sleeping gas. It was implied in the beginning of her career that she wore very little because that power giving her the "adult-rated hero" title and creating controversy and donning the unitard along with her suit was a sort of compromise.

Jintor

death flags all over

man deku's mum. poor deku's mum. 16 years of blameless relatively regular living and now deku's basically completely annihiliating himself every fortnight

upandaway

They have the same tie. It's a bit of a stretch but that's the only thing I see in common. He's never shown his quirk either, if he has (or if it's true, he hides it) a quirk.
Eh All Might has the same tie sometimes and the detective used other ties before too. You could make a case if you spotted them matching their ties or belts in the same arcs or something though.

And the manga isn't that liberal with showing off random people's quirks, it's totally fine that we haven't seen it yet

The director is the traitor, and it's the final boss of this manga. He is using the academy to give some blows to the hero society, Shigaraki is just a red herring character.

SalvaPot

The director is the traitor, and it's the final boss of this manga. He is using the academy to give some blows to the hero society, Shigaraki is just a red herring character.

He is getting revenge for the human experiments performed on him.

AND he is also the missing link between our society and the trigger that kickstarted the human mutations.

cntr

Banned
Eh All Might has the same tie sometimes and the detective used other ties before too. You could make a case if you spotted them matching their ties or belts in the same arcs or something though.

And the manga isn't that liberal with showing off random people's quirks, it's totally fine that we haven't seen it yet
Yeah, the only random quirks you see are the body form quirks.

Detective Guy isn't the traitor, I'm pretty sure it's Invisible Girl.

Meffer

Yeah, the only random quirks you see are the body form quirks.

Detective Guy isn't the traitor, I'm pretty sure it's Invisible Girl.
I feel like she isn't.
I mean I wouldn't mind if she is, but I can't "see" her being the traitor.

Top Bottom