• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
Deku is great because he's both hot-blooded and intelligent. And his intelligence isn't "battle sense", it's from being a hero analysis nerd.

Jintor

this is gonna be so good

CfAEB9dW4AAKWUe.jpg:large

Meffer

I can only think of two situations off the top of my head where he power of friendshipped or deus ex machina'd his way to victory; overcoming MC at the sports festival, and recently when he slugged the shit out of rocky villain guy (and paid the price for it by being essentially physically useless the rest of the arc)

He drop-kicked a giant cleaver made out of sharp things.

Thought I'd reread the series to get ready for the anime, and MAN Bakugou used to be a way bigger dick. Like it really sticks out. He's straight up abusing Deku.

Also, how on earth did Mineta pass that entrance exam?

Grexeno

Thought I'd reread the series to get ready for the anime, and MAN Bakugou used to be a way bigger dick. Like it really sticks out. He's straight up abusing Deku.

Also, how on earth did Mineta pass that entrance exam?
Apparently he blindly threw so many sticky balls he disabled enough robots.

God, please no fillers. If fillers are put in, I hope it's to extend fights a bit because I feel that they do not want to catch up to the manga.

I still say that filler could work here. It's so damn fast paced, there's no fat on this thing. Spending a little time doing superhero school slice of life style stuff wouldn't be the end of the world, imo.

I still say that filler could work here. It's so damn fast paced, there's no fat on this thing. Spending a little time doing superhero school slice of life style stuff wouldn't be the end of the world, imo.
Yeah, I agree. Maybe put life as a Yuuei student, but hopefully they don't focus too much on that. Although if
when
it's successful they will milk it dry.

Meffer

He also said it back during the field trip attack arc when the hand got knocked off then.

My guess is, all the hands are people he killed that were either close to him or involved in his personal life. I think he can use them with his quirk which is a scary thought.

Jintor

i've revised my estimates based on the pacing of the first ep, i think the anime is going to end after the USJ attack? Or maybe that's lowballing it actually. Hmm. Maybe the sports festival? I don't know though, the pacing is actually quite good like this, but I can't tell if that's just because they wanted to 2-parter Deku's origin

Jarmel

Banned
i've revised my estimates based on the pacing of the first ep, i think the anime is going to end after the USJ attack? Or maybe that's lowballing it actually. Hmm. Maybe the sports festival? I don't know though, the pacing is actually quite good like this, but I can't tell if that's just because they wanted to 2-parter Deku's origin

They're not getting to the sports festival. USJ is almost certainly where they'll end it. Hell we might not get to the entrance exams until episode 3 or 4.

People aren't going to like that.

Jintor

They're not getting to the sports festival. USJ is almost certainly where they'll end it. Hell we might not get to the entrance exams until episode 3 or 4.

People aren't going to like that.

entrance exams are definitely ep 3 at least, next episode will definitely climax at deku *choosing* to be a hero

Jarmel

Banned
Do we know for sure that it's going to be 13 episodes?
The article that started it was faulty enough to not believe it

Yes. There might be a second season in a year or so but it's 13 episodes. The broadcasting slot after is airing Arslan/Seven Deadly Sins for Summer and Iron Blood Orphans for Fall/Winter. It would most likely air a year later.

entrance exams are definitely ep 3 at least, next episode will definitely climax at deku *choosing* to be a hero

Yea they're totally ending episode 2 at the choosing point. I'm wondering if they'll make episode 3 entirely about the training or if they'll split it into the first half about the training and the backhalf about the exams. They're apparently going to go slow with this so who knows.

Jintor

i predict half and half I think, seems overkill to do a full episode on his training. i'll have to look through my early volumes again but i'm pretty sure if they don't go crazy (and if they've a set season I don't see any reason why they would) they'll end after USJ

Jarmel

Banned
The USJ Invasion ends at chapter 22 or so. Unless they really burn through the material, they don't have time to go to the Tournament.

Moaradin

I was really surprised by how well paced it was considering it only adapted like half a chapter. Really shows how fast this manga moves.

cntr

Banned
I legit teared up seeing Deku ask All Might if he can be a hero, when you know that All Might was quirkless too.

Nightbird

Ascheroth

I've said it in the anime thread, but I think Bones playing it slow with the adaption is a good thing.
The manga is ridiculously fast paced, there is almost no breathing room between anything. It's almost like Horiskoshi is afraid he gets cancelled the moment he puts out a chapter where nothing high intensity happens.
The anime expanding and/or adding a couple scenes now and then to get some more downtime/build-up would be a good thing.

And yeah they're going to end this with the first villain incident. There's no way they could (or should) get beyond that.

Meffer

I've said it in the anime thread, but I think Bones playing it slow with the adaption is a good thing.
The manga is ridiculously fast paced, there is almost no breathing room between anything. It's almost like Horiskoshi is afraid he gets cancelled the moment he puts out a chapter where nothing high intensity happens.
The anime expanding and/or adding a couple scenes now and then to get some more downtime/build-up would be a good thing.

And yeah they're going to end this with the first villain incident. There's no way they could (or should) get beyond that.

I actually enjoy the manga's pacing because it isn't stuck for one thing too long like other manga. This leaves every chapter important and has a nice flow.

I'm noticing something on my reread... there's actually a fair few lampshades hung on the pacing, lol. People talking about how they'd forgotten this is an actual school, lol.

Ascheroth

I actually enjoy the manga's pacing because it isn't stuck for one thing too long like other manga. This leaves every chapter important and has a nice flow.

I think the pacing of the arcs themselves is fine as it is, I'd just like to see a bit more wind-down after events before jumping right into the next one.
I mean there are 3 pages of them going shopping (well they basically just arrive) after the exam arc before Deku runs into Shigaraki right away.
This could have easily been an entire chapter or only even half if necessary, where they just live their normal lifes and have fun interactions.
I'm not saying there should be 5 chapters of fluff after every little significant event, but I'd really like to see a bit more then there is now.

I believe that if you only ever have high tension it's going to became the 'status quo' sooner or later and consequently lose value.
It's the same in music, a loud note after a period of silence has way more impact then just another loud note in a stream of only loud notes.

That's why I'm excited seeing Bones playing it slow, they have a chance at really improving the source material.

I was re reading and i guess Episode 2 will most likely end on the "Now eat this scene" with All Might holding a strand of his hair and Deku making one of his trademark faces.

WarRock

Bakugou went straight Saitama lol
"idiots can't make concise stories so they just ramble and ramble"

Expected turn around, but nice to see more in the villains motivations and goals - and how they already did some damage.

1-caught up

This is a well-done if unremarkable shounen action series that actually knows how to treat its side characters.

However, I have 2 major problems with it; Stain and Bakugou. The treatment of the former by the narrative is just super bizarre to me. He's worthy of respect because of his ideology and even has toys made of because he's popular in the greater public? The guy's an anti-establishment serial killer with a myopic view of heroism. He's not even a vigilante, as we've seen legitimately cool people being taken down by him. He's not some anti-hero or even Frank Castle, he's a lunatic. Would be like people unironically making toys of ISIS, or on a lesser scale, some school shooter or something. Maybe that's the point and it's meant as commentary on people's fascination with dark stuff that exists in reality?

Bakugou on the other hand REALLY pisses me off. Not just him, but again how the narrative treats him. Oh, he's some badass anti-hero that doesn't play by anyone's rules but his own? No, he's an arrogant fuckhead bully that encouraged his childhood friend to commit suicide. The fact Deku, someone whose meek identity was partially shaped by this asshole, sees him as a friend is total bullshit to me, and that the class in general is fine with him is similarly fucked up. Anytime anyone speaks about him positively or shows genuine concern about him, not because it's the right thing to do as he's a classmate, but because he's someone worth being concerned about is really souring me on the current arc. I'd be cool if he pulled a Sasuke, but only if the rest of the cast saw him for the villain he is even if they do so reluctantly.

SalvaPot

1-caught up

This is a well-done if unremarkable shounen action series that actually knows how to treat its side characters.

However, I have 2 major problems with it; Stain and Bakugou. The treatment of the former by the narrative is just super bizarre to me. He's worthy of respect because of his ideology and even has toys made of because he's popular in the greater public? The guy's an anti-establishment serial killer with a myopic view of heroism. He's not even a vigilante, as we've seen legitimately cool people being taken down by him. He's not some anti-hero or even Frank Castle, he's a lunatic. Would be like people unironically making toys of ISIS, or on a lesser scale, some school shooter or something. Maybe that's the point and it's meant as commentary on people's fascination with dark stuff that exists in reality?

Bakugou on the other hand REALLY pisses me off. Not just him, but again how the narrative treats him. Oh, he's some badass anti-hero that doesn't play by anyone's rules but his own? No, he's an arrogant fuckhead bully that encouraged his childhood friend to commit suicide. The fact Deku, someone whose meek identity was partially shaped by this asshole, sees him as a friend is total bullshit to me, and that the class in general is fine with him is similarly fucked up. Anytime anyone speaks about him positively or shows genuine concern about him, not because it's the right thing to do as he's a classmate, but because he's someone worth being concerned about is really souring me on the current arc. I'd be cool if he pulled a Sasuke, but only if the rest of the cast saw him for the villain he is even if they do so reluctantly.

I think both are very valid point of views, but I think what is fascinating about them is that there is more to their characters than "crazy" and "asshole".

In the case of Stain, from the very beginning of the story its setup that hero society is based around fame and fortune, and there are heroes who only care about that. Now, the systems mostly works and as long as heroes keep society safe, its fine. But Stain believes that this attitude is not heroic at all. Yes, he is fucking crazy, but the nutjob makes a point that reflects what Deku believes: Heroes should be selfless. He denounces the corruption of the Hero society and this causes people who also think so to follow on his believes.

I think the narrative is not telling us he is right, but its telling us that what he said is something that resonates with those with similar views as him. It gives them purpose.

Now, about Bakugou, he is the product of said hero society that values fame and money. He admires All Might because he looks like a badass when punching bad guys, not because he is helping those in need. He aims for the top because he wants to prove he is the best. "People are not born the same". 80% of people are born with powers, but only a few are heroes, those few have powers way above others. Its the same as a kid aiming to be President because of the power and not because he wants to serve his country.

Both are characters that actually serve the narrative. Stain is there to show us that villains exist for a reason, unrest and a inequality, and Bakugou is there to show what the society creates, egotistical protectors.

cntr

Banned
Bakugou was handled way better than other shounens would've. For once, the characters actually know he's an asshole!

But they also know that he's not evil. The class tolerates him, but he doesn't really have friends like the others do. Deku calls him a friend, but that's because he forgives Bakugou, not because he excuses him. Plus he's relaxed a lot since the beginning, go watch episode 1 of the anime and compare with the last few arcs.

I think both are very valid point of views, but I think what is fascinating about them is that there is more to their characters than "crazy" and "asshole".

In the case of Stain, from the very beginning of the story its setup that hero society is based around fame and fortune, and there are heroes who only care about that. Now, the systems mostly works and as long as heroes keep society safe, its fine. But Stain believes that this attitude is not heroic at all. Yes, he is fucking crazy, but the nutjob makes a point that reflects what Deku believes: Heroes should be selfless. He denounces the corruption of the Hero society and this causes people who also think so to follow on his believes.

I think the narrative is not telling us he is right, but its telling us that what he said is something that resonates with those with similar views as him. It gives them purpose.

A "maybe heroes are too commercialized" is a fine plot point. It was well done in Tiger and Bunny and it's well done in One Punch Man. It could be well done here as well, but it kind of rings hollow IMO when the catalyst for it is someone that's attacked genuinely heroic people like Iida's brother. Beyond that, he's kind of given a pass because he saved the protagonist, a development that abandons the greater scope for a single moment. It's just lazy writing with a sort of warped message.

Now, about Bakugou, he is the product of said hero society that values fame and money. He admires All Might because he looks like a badass when punching bad guys, not because he is helping those in need. He aims for the top because he wants to prove he is the best. "People are not born the same". 80% of people are born with powers, but only a few are heroes, those few have powers way above others. Its the same as a kid aiming to be President because of the power and not because he wants to serve his country.

Both are characters that actually serve the narrative. Stain is there to show us that villains exist for a reason, unrest and a inequality, and Bakugou is there to show what the society creates, egotistical protectors.

Which would be great if he was an actual antagonist even if he's still on the side of heroes like Amai Mask from One Punch Man. Someone with a warped sense of justice because of the failing's of society is a great plot point, but when that person is seen as at worst as a wacky mean guy instead of a malicious almost-villain by the entire good guy cast, it comes off as really bizarre and almost at odds with the ideals the series advertises as heroic.

I'm also not sure if I agree with that interpretation in general. No one else on the heroes side shares Bakugou's attitude, even if some were initially arrogant to a lesser extent. I can't imagine anyone in Class A would have been okay with him bullying Deku if they saw the extent of it (I'm seriously having trouble getting over the instigating suicide thing).

cntr

Banned
A "maybe heroes are too commercialized" is a fine plot point. It was well done in Tiger and Bunny and it's well done in One Punch Man. It could be well done here as well, but it kind of rings hollow IMO when the catalyst for it is someone that's attacked genuinely heroic people like Iida's brother. Beyond that, he's kind of given a pass because he saved the protagonist, a development that abandons the greater scope for a single moment. It's just lazy writing with a sort of warped message.
I didn't get that impression at all. Only the new members of the villains actually admire him straight, everybody else thinks he's a crazy man with a kernel of truth.

Remember the scene where Electric Guy says Stain is kind of cool, and is given a lecture by Iida? Or the scene where two random kids wear a Stain mask sold at a store and one of them says "whoa that's kind of messed up"? Outside of the villain circles, admiring him is either a faux pas or something pseudo-subversive, like wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt in the US.

SalvaPot

Which would be great if he was an actual antagonist even if he's still on the side of heroes like Amai Mask from One Punch Man. Someone with a warped sense of justice because of the failing's of society is a great plot point, but when that person is seen as at worst as a wacky mean guy instead of a malicious almost-villain by the entire good guy cast, it comes off as really bizarre and almost at odds with the ideals the series advertises as heroic.

I'm also not sure if I agree with that interpretation in general. No one else on the heroes side shares Bakugou's attitude, even if some were initially arrogant to a lesser extent. I can't imagine anyone in Class A would have been okay with him bullying Deku if they saw the extent of it (I'm seriously having trouble getting over the instigating suicide thing).

I was bullied myself when I was a kid/teen, so from that point of view, for me Bakugous attitude is that of a brat, and just as Deku, I am ok with forgiving those who acted like a dick in our teen years. I 100% agree that if he still tried to act like that now it won't fly, because Deku won't take it nor his classmates, its time for him to mature and thankfully he is been getting that character development bit by bit. I think there is a perfect example of how Bakugou's attitude doesn't make him cool anymore on the bus trip, when Tsuyu made fun of him.

By the point we are now Bakugou has recognized he is a dick and is treating Deku as an equal. We are getting to the point where is getting *shutters* likable.

Top Bottom