• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I didn't get that impression at all. Only the new members of the villains actually admire him straight, everybody else thinks he's a crazy man with a kernel of truth.

Remember the scene where Electric Guy says Stain is kind of cool, and is given a lecture by Iida? Or the scene where two random kids wear a Stain mask sold at a store and one of them says "whoa that's kind of messed up"? Outside of the villain circles, admiring him is either a faux pas or something pseudo-subversive, like wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt in the US.

I mostly take issue with Deku saying he respects him and even Iida understanding his point. But you're right, looking back it does seem more subversive than I thought.

I was bullied myself when I was a kid/teen, so from that point of view, for me Bakugous attitude is that of a brat, and just as Deku, I am ok with forgiving those who acted like a dick in our teen years. I 100% agree that if he still tried to act like that now it won't fly, because Deku won't take it nor his classmates, its time for him to mature and thankfully he is been getting that character development bit by bit. I think there is a perfect example of how Bakugou's attitude doesn't make him cool anymore on the bus trip, when Tsuyu made fun of him.

By the point we are now Bakugou has recognized he is a dick and is treating Deku as an equal. We are getting to the point where is getting *shutters* likable.

Did those bullies ever tell you to kill yourself? A bully of mine did back in middle school a few weeks after my best friend killed himself. The guy was expelled a few days later.

Honestly, this partially comes down to my problem with the opening chapter partially hinting at something that never became an actual plot point; discrimination against the quirkless. People were compliant in Bakugou's bullying of Deku, even the teacher. It spoke volumes about the state of the world and how certain people are seen. And yet there's been absolutely no expanding on it beyond a small hinting at All Might's past, which will likely not be relevant for more than a few chapters when we finally get there.

If Bakugou sees Deku as his equal currently, that doesn't really show much growth. It shows that he's starting to see someone that is no longer weak as what they are; someone that's no longer weak. What if Deku was still quirkless? What about the many people around the world that are quirkless, yet have high aspirations and crazy will power? Would Bakugou see them as beneath him and need to "put them in their place"? What about the rest of the class, who haven't been seen in any scenario regarding the quirkless?

Just a lot of wasted potential imo.

Jintor

Which would be great if he was an actual antagonist even if he's still on the side of heroes like Amai Mask from One Punch Man. Someone with a warped sense of justice because of the failing's of society is a great plot point, but when that person is seen as at worst as a wacky mean guy instead of a malicious almost-villain by the entire good guy cast, it comes off as really bizarre and almost at odds with the ideals the series advertises as heroic.

I'm also not sure if I agree with that interpretation in general. No one else on the heroes side shares Bakugou's attitude, even if some were initially arrogant to a lesser extent. I can't imagine anyone in Class A would have been okay with him bullying Deku if they saw the extent of it (I'm seriously having trouble getting over the instigating suicide thing).

A) I don't think Stein gets a pass and I agree with cntr's analysis.

B) Bakugou is a shit and everybody thinks it, they just don't know how much of a shit he is; I don't think they treat him like 'that wacky random mean guy!'. I think they're well aware that he's a bombastic almost crazy-arrogant jackass barely staying this side of the antihero line.

Anti-quirkless discrimination doesn't seem to be a main theme right now. Maybe it'll become one later. (shades of Amon... ugh)

SalvaPot

I mostly take issue with Deku saying he respects him and even Iida understanding his point. But you're right, looking back it does seem more subversive than I thought.

Did those bullies ever tell you to kill yourself? A bully of mine did back in middle school a few weeks after my best friend killed himself. The guy was expelled a few days later.

Honestly, this partially comes down to my problem with the opening chapter partially hinting at something that never became an actual plot point; discrimination against the quirkless. People were compliant in Bakugou's bullying of Deku, even the teacher. It spoke volumes about the state of the world and how certain people are seen. And yet there's been absolutely no expanding on it beyond a small hinting at All Might's past, which will likely not be relevant for more than a few chapters when we finally get there.

If Bakugou sees Deku as his equal currently, that doesn't really show much growth. It shows that he's starting to see someone that is no longer weak as what they are; someone that's no longer weak. What if Deku was still quirkless? What about the many people around the world that are quirkless, yet have high aspirations and crazy will power? Would Bakugou see them as beneath him and need to "put them in their place"? What about the rest of the class, who haven't been seen in any scenario regarding the quirkless?

Just a lot of wasted potential imo.
I am sorry to hear about your friend.

When I was there, yes,they did ask me to kill myself and even suggest me to jump from the third floor, where our class was. Its stupid things stupid kids say, assholes exist, there is no denying it. My junior high bully apologized to me a few years ago, he is now studying to be a doctor.

Anyway, back to the plot. Deku was quirkless when he tried to save Bakugou back in chapter 1. We do see what happens to quirkless people who want to be heroes: They join the police force. Some people with great quirks don't want to be heroes, and Deku is exceptional in that he wants to be a hero even when he used to be quirk-less.

The story is still young, I won't be surprised if we get to a point where we can see how quirkless people actually live and their standing in society.

And yeah, by the time the classmantes meat Bakugou, they haven't seen how much of a dick he can be, only Deku knows, really. His attitude was enough to make the villains think he is one of them.

cntr

Banned
I'm guessing the issue will come back up when Deku reveals the origin of his quirk to his classmates. They all believe he just happens to have an All Might-esque quirk, except maybe Bakugou.

Jintor

I think also there's a lot of quirk people who don't have useful quirks or simply posess functionally bizarre quirks. Deku's mum's quirk at least is pretty average. I can't remember if Uravity's parents had quirks or that was just them being super comic book. Some dudes just look fucking weird and that's it apparently.

I am sorry to hear about your friend.

When I was there, yes,they did ask me to kill myself and even suggest me to jump from the third floor, where our class was. Its stupid things stupid kids say, assholes exist, there is no denying it. My junior high bully apologized to me a few years ago, he is now studying to be a doctor.

Damn, sorry to hear that as well. Bullying in general just pisses me off to a high degree. I know there's a different stance on it in Japan, but still.

Wasn't asking for sympathy of course, this was more than half my life ago.

Anyway, I see everyone's point. It just still doesn't really sit right with me at where the story is currently. I still like the series in spite of all that.

cntr

Banned
I think also there's a lot of quirk people who don't have useful quirks or simply posess functionally bizarre quirks. Deku's mum's quirk at least is pretty average. I can't remember if Uravity's parents had quirks or that was just them being super comic book. Some dudes just look fucking weird and that's it apparently.
Not just that, but the author mentioned in the volume bonus pages that people whose quirks interfere with their normal lives are allowed to acquire hero-level equipment. That is, some quirks are more like disabilities.

SalvaPot

Damn, sorry to hear that as well. Bullying in general just pisses me off to a high degree. I know there's a different stance on it in Japan, but still.

Wasn't asking for sympathy of course, this was more than half my life ago.

Anyway, I see everyone's point. It just still doesn't really sit right with me at where the story is currently. I still like the series in spite of all that.

Don't worry about it man x), its been a while since then too and honestly I look back at it and just shrug, been a teen is weird.

Moonlight

Banned
Md5oTvK.png

mha is great, you guys

Discrimination against quirkless or useful ones just seems like an clear potential future plot or even the final boss of the manga, probably a full war or revolt. Plus we already have growing distrust of ua so it seems just a matter of time. Its unfortunate this manga is kind of trapped in following traditional genre trends.

cntr

Banned
There...aren't that many quirkless for a war tho

the manga lists "20%" as the quirkless population, but that just means all the quirkless are old people

WarRock

However, I have 2 major problems with it; Stain and Bakugou. The treatment of the former by the narrative is just super bizarre to me. He's worthy of respect because of his ideology and even has toys made of because he's popular in the greater public? The guy's an anti-establishment serial killer with a myopic view of heroism. He's not even a vigilante, as we've seen legitimately cool people being taken down by him. He's not some anti-hero or even Frank Castle, he's a lunatic. Would be like people unironically making toys of ISIS, or on a lesser scale, some school shooter or something. Maybe that's the point and it's meant as commentary on people's fascination with dark stuff that exists in reality?
There's tons of criminals (or at least arguably criminals) who are worshipped, have commercial masks and t-shirts... not sure why you're comparing an individual to ISIS. I mean, I listened to a song paying homage to Charles Manson last week.

A "maybe heroes are too commercialized" is a fine plot point. It was well done in Tiger and Bunny and it's well done in One Punch Man.
No it was not, but I'm not bringing my distaste for T&B here =P

I can't disagree about Bakugou though, he feels more like a plot tool, being written however is convenient than anything else.

cntr

Banned
Midoriya isn't old. He can't be the only born quirkless youth.
It's been about a century since quirks came into existence, and All Might comments that in his youth -- about ~40 years earlier -- quirkless people were already rare, even if more common than in Izuku's generation. That suggests nearly all the quirkless population are people in their 60s to 80s, and Deku is exceptionally unlucky.

There's tons of criminals (or at least arguably criminals) who are worshipped, have commercial masks and t-shirts... not sure why you're comparing an individual to ISIS. I mean, I listened to a song paying homage to Charles Manson last week.

You're right. I guess our world is fucked up too.

Shits about to go down, honestly chapter felt kind of slow but i was right in that they're calling back on bakugous unstable nature displayed at the festival.

If the traitor thing is true then they definitely now All Might and the other heroes are outside the building right now

Linari

Neo Member
I don't think they'll turn Bakugou into a Noumu as it doesn't fit into their destruction/deconstruction of the hero society.

Most likely it will be turning him quirkless in order to cause Bakugou to turn into a villain further down the story.

I think the hand that Shigaraki has is All for one's hand.

cntr

Banned
I think the hand that Shigaraki has is All for one's hand.
Based on the blurry flashback panel he had, and that he calls it "father"...

Shigaraki killed his parents by accident when his quirk manifested, since it's activated automatically by touch, and was driven into villainy. Notice how he's delusional and pretended to still be a kid, back when he was first introduced. His bitterness at society is a further delusion that the era of peace symbolized by All Might is a sham, because his parents died and nobody did anything about it.

Linari

Neo Member

Shigaraki killed his parents by accident when his quirk manifested, since it's activated automatically by touch, and was driven into villainy. Notice how he's delusional and pretended to still be a kid, back when he was first introduced. His bitterness at society is a further delusion that the era of peace symbolized by All Might is a sham, because his parents died and nobody did anything about it.

When was the chapter for the flashback panel?

SalvaPot

I think a main theme with this arc is going to be Heroes having "good" powers and villains having "bad" powers, and how they are either blessed or cursed by what was given to them at birth. It will also give the villains a motivation to follow All for One, since maybe it can remove their destructive powers and replace them with useful ones (For them). It would also justify the villains in kidnapping Bakugou and thinking they could turn him bad, because his power is the more volatile or "evil" out of all the heroes so far.

And Midoriya would be on the middle of it because he was quirk-less to begin with, so he is out eyes through the conflict.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, quirk-based stereotypes was already established and refuted by Brainwash Guy, so it'd make sense to explore that further.

Wonder if he'll show up soon.

Jintor

the art's by an assistant right? it's so off model sometimes.

keeps raising some pretty interesting things though, like mt lady having to go to school in hokkaido cos her quirk sucks so bad in urban environments. lol (also she was a pretty cute highschooler)

/edit oh a brief sketch of recovery girl!

i bet it's all non-canon but it's still cool

SalvaPot

I saw on reddit that Oda acknowledged Horikoshi on his S.B.S. corner. Man, he must feel over the moon standing with your idol as an equal.

Oda = All Might, Horikoshi = Deku.

THrqr2m.png

Jintor

I saw on reddit that Oda acknowledged Horikoshi on his S.B.S. corner. Man, he must feel over the moon standing with your idol as an equal.

Is that the one where Oda was like "Man so check out this fanart I got sent back in like 2002. Lol. But check out this signature. THAT'S RIGHT. THIS MOFO WORKED HIS ASS OFF AND GOT A HERO SERIES AND IT'S STRAIGHT DOPE"?

/edit (i have images disabled so I wrote this before I clicked the link)

Is that the one where Oda was like "Man so check out this fanart I got sent back in like 2002. Lol. But check out this signature. THAT'S RIGHT. THIS MOFO WORKED HIS ASS OFF AND GOT A HERO SERIES AND IT'S STRAIGHT DOPE"?

/edit (i have images disabled so I wrote this before I clicked the link)

GODA delivering the gifts

15%2B-%2B1%2B%25281%2529.webp

Even his disciples are 10/10

cntr

Banned
I'm guessing episode 3 will end on Deku being admitted to UA, since chapter 2 can be condensed, and it'd be awkward to have the admission be in the middle of episode 4

SalvaPot

I'm guessing episode 3 will end on Deku being admitted to UA, since chapter 2 can be condensed, and it'd be awkward to have the admission be in the middle of episode 4

Yeah I was thinking the same too. It should end with the SMASH on the giant robot for maximum hype.

Top Bottom