• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

SalvaPot

Poor Horikoshi. Though I didn't like barrage but I was reading it every week. Someday I will try to read it in one burst.
Main character was meh though I liked the guard and the main heroine.

The One Shot for that was REALLY really good, I liked Barrage and bought the volumes but man, the One Shot had so much potential as a Sci-Fi Fantasy story, the only thing that survived from it was the Dark Matter power-up and the fact that I felt Barrage was building up for interplanetary travel and this huge story, but the story just didn't get there, a shame, really.

balgajo

The One Shot for that was REALLY really good, I liked Barrage and bought the volumes but man, the One Shot had so much potential as a Sci-Fi Fantasy story, the only thing that survived from it was the Dark Matter power-up and the fact that I felt Barrage was building up for interplanetary travel and this huge story, but the story just didn't get there, a shame, really.

Yep, really agree about the one-shot. I remember being very hyped about the interplanetary possibilities.

Nightbird

I was really excited about Barrage when it started since it was a Horikoshi project, but I quickly lost interest in it. I will maybe give it a shot again sometime.
Maybe there are some unused plot points of Barrage that he can introduce in Hero Academia :)

Episode 4 is out and we got to see Deku using his quirk finally and it was so good.

we got 9 more episodes left man everyweek that goes by i cry we dont already have more episodes imagine how amazing the todoroki vs Deku fight would be animated.
OjmcGnNl.jpg

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It makes me lol that the author didn't plan on the kid from class B, Neito Monoma, to be annoying yet he continued to portray him as a jackass even after being surprised that fans felt that way.

It makes me lol that the author didn't plan on the kid from class B, Neito Monoma, to be annoying yet he continued to portray him as a jackass even after being surprised that fans felt that way.
I dont even know if its the right guy but i had this saved and i was reminded of him
GbvrB2ll.jpg

Trojita

I dont even know if its the right guy but i had this saved and i was reminded of him
GbvrB2ll.jpg

Yeah that is him. In one of the omakes the author mentions that he didn't know why fans hated him.

Also since I wasn't here when the chapter released awhile ago to be apart of the discussion, that chapter awhile ago before the bootcamp lodge had Aizawa talking to Shinsō Hitoshi, I'm expecting he'll be joining the hero department. Thought he'd show up at the lodge to join the hero classes.

Wow, I'm sorry I'm late to the discussion but I've been playing Dark Souls 3 haha. I've just rad the chapter and wow, All for One. How can One For All match that?

SalvaPot

Wow, I'm sorry I'm late to the discussion but I've been playing Dark Souls 3 haha. I've just rad the chapter and wow, All for One. How can One For All match that?

I think there is an obvious way to make One For All match All for One.

Its a legacy power, so it would make sense that some of the previous users of One for All had born quirks besides the power stockpile/passing on the quirk, and this said quirks could be passed down to Izuku. How many is anyone's guess, but up to 6, I'll say.

Trojita

I can't believe we have a full week with no chapter because of Golden Week :(

You planned this didn't you Horikoshi Kōhei.

Meffer

Its a legacy power, so it would make sense that some of the previous users of One for All had born quirks besides the power stockpile/passing on the quirk, and this said quirks could be passed down to Izuku. How many is anyone's guess, but up to 6, I'll say.
That's what I've been thinking too. There's actually quite a bit about One for All that we don't fully understand. Like that time at the Sports Festival where Deku saw those shadowy visages that helped him snap out of his opponent's trance. Was those experiences or the past users themselves?

Trojita

I thought it was something like Lingering wills.
They clearly have some sort of power since they got deku to move during the match.

Richard from Sword of Truth ( I read this because a friend requested it!) and Black Panther both have a similar thing. In Sword of Truth the wielder of the sword can receive all of the memories of the past wielders of the sword including their martial prowess and "dances" . It's called "The Dance of Death".

Black Panther has the ability to draw all the knowledge, strength, and every experience from previous Black Panthers.

The biggest question is why they made a big deal of mentioning All Might being there and that it was "a good thing".

You normally only really should be there if you died.

I just REALLY hope that this isn't the beginning of significant power creep.

Also does it seem to anybody else, or just me, that this is actually reaching end game-ish right now, like, a good 70-75% done?

Richard from Sword of Truth ( I read this because a friend requested it!) and Black Panther both have a similar thing. In Sword of Truth the wielder of the sword can receive all of the memories of the past wielders of the sword including their martial prowess and "dances" . It's called "The Dance of Death".

Black Panther has the ability to draw all the knowledge, strength, and every experience from previous Black Panthers.

The biggest question is why they made a big deal of mentioning All Might being there and that it was "a good thing".

Yeah its real weird.
Another theory could be its sort of like another Psyche or dimension. Since a part of all for one is stockpiling abilities it could literally be manifesting the previous owners who left their mark which is why All might was there??¿ this is just a stretch.

I guess you could think also think of it as somethng like hitman reborn where the Sky ring materialised previous Vongola Heads during the vongola trial
latest

Grexeno

Also does it seem to anybody else, or just me, that this is actually reaching end game-ish right now, like, a good 70-75% done?
End game? Seriously?

Just try to imagine the number of levels in badass Deku would have to take to even come CLOSE to the All for One we just saw, which I may remind you is an All for One who is far from his peak, and most likely significantly weaker than he will be when the final confrontation does come.

SalvaPot

End game? Seriously?

Just try to imagine the number of levels in badass Deku would have to take to even come CLOSE to the All for One we just saw, which I may remind you is an All for One who is far from his peak, and most likely significantly weaker than he will be when the final confrontation does come.

Exactly, I think the story is far from over. Also, All for One is a 8-generations old quirk, so we kinda have to wonder if the person who still has it is the same as when it started (And has some quirk that lets him live for that long), or if its also a power that gets pass down. If its pass down, it sound to me like he wants Shigaraki to be his successor.

Qurupeke

Not end game, but I think we're maybe around halfway until the timeskip/All Might's Death.

That's what I've been thinking too. There's actually quite a bit about One for All that we don't fully understand. Like that time at the Sports Festival where Deku saw those shadowy visages that helped him snap out of his opponent's trance. Was those experiences or the past users themselves?
Interesting, so sort of like the Avatar state from Avatar. All For One seems like an INCREDIBLE quirk that someone could become a one man army.

cntr

Banned

All Might knows he's going to die. He's just glad a piece of him lives on to help Deku.

All Might did give some history regarding A4O and the origin of One for All. Seems like A4O is just a fucking asshole.
He took over the world, and got thwarted by 7 generations of One for All. Now he's just bitter.

That is not how it works. I hope the anime explains this better when it gets there, 'cause it's confusing, but:

You know how Tokoyami has a bird head, but his actual quirk is the shadow stand thing? That's because he inherited a shadow power and a bird power from each of his parents, and they fused into one quirk. Todoroki is another example, heat and ice powers merged into a "perfect" fusion of both.

One for All is a special case of that. All for One had the power to manipulate quirks. The brother, the original "One for All", had a useless quirk that could only pass itself on. Since this is unnoticeable, everybody assumed he had no quirk.

A4O takes pity on his "useless brother", and transfers a "strength storage" quirk to him, and by the same mechanism that allows fusions like Tokoyami or Todoroki, the two quirks fused into one, creating One for All.

The original quirk doesn't pass all the quirks of the user, it passes itself on, and nothing more. It's pure chance that A4O transfered that quirk to his brother, and that it ended up fusing into a quirk that matters.

SalvaPot

All Might knows he's going to die. He's just glad a piece of him lives on to help Deku.

He took over the world, and got thwarted by 7 generations of One for All. Now he's just bitter.

That is not how it works. I hope the anime explains this better when it gets there, 'cause it's confusing, but:

You know how Tokoyami has a bird head, but his actual quirk is the shadow stand thing? That's because he inherited a shadow power and a bird power from each of his parents, and they fused into one quirk. Todoroki is another example, heat and ice powers merged into a "perfect" fusion of both.

One for All is a special case of that. All for One had the power to manipulate quirks. The brother, the original "One for All", had a useless quirk that could only pass itself on. Since this is unnoticeable, everybody assumed he had no quirk.

A4O takes pity on his "useless brother", and transfers a "strength storage" quirk to him, and by the same mechanism that allows fusions like Tokoyami or Todoroki, the two quirks fused into one, creating One for All.

The original quirk doesn't pass all the quirks of the user, it passes itself on, and nothing more. It's pure chance that A4O transfered that quirk to his brother, and that it ended up fusing into a quirk that matters.

That is true, I also went back and read the chapter where its explained. BUT then, what happens when a person with a quirk gets O4A? Here is what I have in mind:

Gen 1: The first used, the younger brother, had a quirk that can pass on power, and then he gets a quirk that stockpiles power from A4O. Both quirks fusions and forms O4A. He passes it down.

Gen 2: The new user gets O4A, by maybe he also had a similar passive ability, maybe something minor, like having his body get stronger slightly faster than normal, or his body producing a special enzime that makes her muscle more flexible and withstand the power of O4A or superior jumping ability, something that the OG O4A didn't have. Now that passive ability gets mixed with O4A and becomes part of it

Gen 3: Let's say the new user now gets the added benefit of his body getting stronger, so this allows for more power to stockpile without risk to the user, let's say he also had a unremarkable quirk that makes him immune to hipnotism or something like that, I dunno, providing an explanation for that one scene at the school festival. This mixes in with good old O4A and makes it stronger.

And so on, we know All Might (Toshinori) didn't have a quirk when he received O4A, but its plausible he was on a similar situation than the original user. Maybe his quirk is that light doesn't reflects properly off his face and that gives him his american style or something silly like that x).

But talking seriously, there is preset rules to allow this to happen. The examples you mention, Todoroki mostly, shows that quirks are a genetic thing and mixing them its effective. The younger brother shows quirks can be passive and awaken through certain situations, in his case the presence of a second quirk in his body, mixing them both. Deku could realistically, within the rules of the series, awaken new abilities from O4A and it wouldn't be farfetch'd or an asspull since the rules are already there.

For some reason I think that there's a lot more to the origin story of O4A and A4O that we don't know.

I just find it hard to believe that the elder brother would give a quirk that specific to the younger.

That being said, I look forward to Izuku transformation SS state when All might dies.

Jarmel

Banned
Well we already know there's more to OFA. Deku breaking the mind control hints that either there is a spiritual element or there are multiple quirks involved.

My guess is that each user of OFA leaves an impression inside the quirk of their personality/experience. I don't know if the quirks transfer but there's nothing that hints either way except for the fact that All Might never used multiple quirks and All Might was supposedly a natural. It's sort of like the Avatar State but I'm not sure how the power boost will manifest itself.

If OFA is only pure strength, Deku is royally fucked.

Meffer

Well we already know there's more to OFA. Deku breaking the mind control hints that either there is a spiritual element or there are multiple quirks involved.

My guess is that each user of OFA leaves an impression inside the quirk of their personality/experience. I don't know if the quirks transfer but there's nothing that hints either way except for the fact that All Might never used multiple quirks and All Might was supposedly a natural. It's sort of like the Avatar State but I'm not sure how the power boost will manifest itself.

If OFA is only pure strength, Deku is royally fucked.

It's obvious All Might knows more about OFA then what he's telling to Deku.

Trojita

lol that's great.

I'm wondering if we are going to get a flashback story in the manga that will end up showing Recovery Girl and she is super hot. Everyone wants recovery kisses from her.

Also I'm expecting that once the anime ever eventually gets to the Bootcamp arc, we are going to have a ton of Bane jokes fill the internet because of Himiko Toga.

Also do we have any guesses what quirk Ms. Vampire has? Her kanji written name was finally released.

Meffer

lol that's great.

I'm wondering if we are going to get a flashback story in the manga that will end up showing Recovery Girl and she is super hot. Everyone wants recovery kisses from her.

Also I'm expecting that once the anime ever eventually gets to the Bootcamp arc, we are going to have a ton of Bane jokes fill the internet because of Himiko Toga.

Also do we have any guesses what quirk Ms. Vampire has? Her kanji written name was finally released.

I think she senses a person's thoughts or feelings when she consumes their blood. I say that because when she cut Ochako, and the not only does the machine store blood through it's blades and needles but move some of the blood she collected to her mouth. So she consumed her blood and that would explain how she knew Ochako has a crush on Deku. It's also explains why she loves blood so much because the more blood she consumes, the more she knows about the person.
Yandere Plus Ultra indeed.

Trojita

I think she senses a person's thoughts or feelings when she consumes their blood. I say that because when she cut Ochako, and the not only does the machine store blood through it's blades and needles but move some of the blood she collected to her mouth. So she consumed her blood and that would explain how she knew Ochako has a crush on Deku. It's also explains why she loves blood so much because the more blood she consumes, the more she knows about the person.
Yandere Plus Ultra indeed.

I thought she mentioned it wasn't enough blood? She might have just did what Navel Laser did in a much shorter time. Also wouldn't that be a little too close to Ragdolls power (except emotional knowledge vs. analytical knowledge)?

Meffer

I thought she mentioned it wasn't enough blood? She might have just did what Navel Laser did in a much shorter time. Also wouldn't that be a little too close to Ragdolls power (except emotional knowledge vs. analytical knowledge)?

Her mission in the raid was to gather blood. That's what she was likely talking about.

cntr

Banned
incidentally, I really love the One for All backstory

Look at Naruto, which ended with Naruto being powerful because lol your ancestors were ninja gods

In contrast, One for All is a power passed on to Deku by All Might's choice. It's tied into the ultimate villain, All for One, by the backstory of its creation. It doesn't exist because of some divine purpose, it was accidentally created by the actions of All for One and empowered by its 8 users, all using normal quirk mechanics.

It's a nice touch, enabling the "shounen legacy" plot without undermining the "hard work and guts" message.

I read the FA vers now and its still scary how A4Os power was portrayed. It was literally like we jumped a page.

Was able to see more clearly but still alive?
iFXLHxk.png

What if he just stole all their quirks? They'd look alive but pretty much be dead like Ragdoll

Possibly but what AFO said about "losing his stock" makes me think 2 things. Either he can only take a certain amount of Quirks on himself personally now or hes building up his quirk storage again. Im leaning more towards AFO only being able to control a few amount of quirks.

Top Bottom