• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I really liked that part. It was so tense and they looked absolutely terrified.
The faces of teenagers being scared shitless is amazing. I laughed though because I can relate to being paralyzed with fear from something that is happening in front of you. Happened to me when I was 13.

A Key frame from next weeks episode (6).
zSxIOVwh.jpg

The animes instagram acc usually posts some keyframes after each episode.
https://www.instagram.com/heroaca_insta/

I'm looking forward to the reactions to this one, since it's the one I started to... not like, but appreciate, Bakugou. It showed that he could back up his belief in his own abilities, took him from "hate" to "love to hate," a la House.
Looks like I'm grabbing popcorn to read reactions. They're the best.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm looking forward to the reactions to this one, since it's the one I started to... not like, but appreciate, Bakugou. It showed that he could back up his belief in his own abilities, took him from "hate" to "love to hate," a la House.

The part in the story where he drops any semblance of teamworking or planning for an ill advised vendetta against a kid he has been bullying for most of his life?

Appreciate? lol

The part in the story where he drops any semblance of teamworking or planning for an ill advised vendetta against a kid he has been bullying for most of his life?

Appreciate? lol

Yeah, actually. He simultaneously shows that he really is as good as he thinks he is, in terms of combat effectiveness, and is forced to regard Deku as an actual rival, rather than a victim.

He becomes too interesting to just hate. It's the big difference between him and, like, that guy from the very very very fist fight in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

Trojita

Yeah, actually. He simultaneously shows that he really is as good as he thinks he is, in terms of combat effectiveness, and is forced to regard Deku as an actual rival, rather than a victim.

He becomes too interesting to just hate. It's the big difference between him and, like, that guy from the very very very fist fight in History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi.

I didn't seem much more about his combat effectiveness since the adults had been telling him how OP is power is and we know he placed first in the entrance exam.

I didn't seem much more about his combat effectiveness since the adults had been telling him how OP is power is and we know he placed first in the entrance exam.

Yeah, but he could've just been a dumb brute who immediately gets overpowered by the protagonist's shiny new abilities. He adapts, refocuses. He's still a colossal asshole, but he's an interesting one.

Bakugou becoming quirkless for a time being would lead to some great character development for him.

I actually want this to happen now. The reason why Bakugou acted the way he does towards Deku all his life was entirely because of him having a quirk and Deku not having one. The roles being reversed would be a good way to develop his character.

Trojita

Cross posting from the anime thread since that is where the discussion started. Some people here might not know about this and might find it interesting.

The original prototype of the manga was that he continued not having powers. A Shonen Jump editor afaik was the one who asked why Deku didn't have any powers and wouldn't it be more interesting if he gets a power?

The notebooks are a remnant of this earlier Deku. Prototype Deku was taking down powered people by analyzing their strengths and weaknesses. He was to be armed with a taser (lol). Who knows how he could have actually taken down some of the mid to heavier hitters.

Oh, is that so? That kind of makes sense, since that's what I thought it was leading towards. That and his battle against the slime monster made me think later obstacles would be tackled in the same way: he'd refer to his extensive knowledge of super heroes and historical battles, and adapt them in a more grounded, "human" way.

So I found the page in one of the Omakes. Hopefully the mods are okay with me posting this supplementary piece translated.

cntr

Banned
cross posting my response too, since it makes even more sense with manga knowledge:

Yeah, it would've been a totally different series.

Look at that taser blurb, which says they were legaiized for quirkless people to defend themselves. Deku's a rarity in the final series, so it sounds like quirkless people were more common in the original.

There's also bits like "make fire with his shoes", which sounds dangerously close to "pull bullshit out of your ass", as opposed to the well defined abilities in the final version.

Nightbird

Cross posting from the anime thread since that is where the discussion started. Some people here might not know about this and might find it interesting.

So I found the page in one of the Omakes. Hopefully the mods are okay with me posting this supplementary piece translated.

I said it in the Anime OT, and I say it again:

I seriously hope we'll get a Deku that looks like this in the future (third year or something like that)

cntr

Banned
Random thought: Deku not being allowed to use 100% One for All is like the Shounen "using the power will shorten your lifespan" trope, except with "it will permanently destroy your arm".

Amazing how making a consequence concrete works.

I hope this arc will have Midoriya try to save Bakugou again it would be really sweet. If only he werent being held back.

I think All Might will pull through here, unless the other antagonists will all gang up on him. Then again, it would be more surprising if he manages to be unable to be taken down by all of them.

Appreciate? lol

That art reminds me that bakugou x ochako seems to be becoming kind of popular. It always has art that creep up in my usual bakugou kirishima / bakugou midoriya tags. And fics too. Its such an intriguing relationship.

Trojita

With the pace the anime is going at, they won't even see Deku actually control his power without getting hurt until possibly season 3 at the earliest. Gran Torino pls.

DekuxOchako is endgame from like, chapter -1.

That sprite work is amazing, there. Makes me miss jump ultimate stars and it's awesome, awesome 2D fighting gameplay and customization :(

Nightbird

With the pace the anime is going at, they won't even see Deku actually control his power without getting hurt until possibly season 3 at the earliest. Gran Torino pls.

I'd say it's going to happen in Season 2, and that Season 2 has 2 cours. The Hero Killer Arc basically beings before the Sports Festival even ended.

There's no way they are gonna split those arcs into two different seasons.

SalvaPot

DekuxOchako is endgame from like, chapter -1.

That sprite work is amazing, there. Makes me miss jump ultimate stars and it's awesome, awesome 2D fighting gameplay and customization :(

Yeah its totally going to happen.

Its far more interesting to speculate who is going to end up with Momo or Tsuyu.

Jintor

I just had a thought, what if both AfO and All Might kick the dust at the same time? Where does that leave society? Probably in roughly the same place, but i think it might change the dynamics of the future story somewhat

cntr

Banned
I'm pretty certain it'll become irrelevant tbh

Class 1-B is getting a fuckton of development, the timing does really feel like both classes being set up to deal with the fallout of the post-All Might world.

Even if All for One dies too, the Symbol of Peace bit is bloody important

Top Bottom