• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
Since his hands aren't constantly exploding, he needs to activate the quirk. So there's probably a "secretion rate" of how fast the explosive sweat comes out.

I say no.

Deku's got more power available to him than before, it's true. He can safely operate on a level closer to the top tier of the class. He's also pretty damn smart, so he can come up with good ways to use that power. But Bakugou is still just an outright better fighter. Coming up with a strategy in the middle of a fight is no substitute for that kind of control and prowess, as kind of shown by the fight with Stain where Deku got caught while thinking up a plan.

He's in the same league as Todoroki and Bakugou now, but still outclassed by both of them, I feel.

Pretty much this.

Deku just doesn't have the same battle sense or intuition as Bakugou. He'd do better than he would before, but I doubt he'd be able to beat him.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This thread. That's...about it.

OJeZc91.jpg

ZkO4voL.png

Do humans even stop sweating? It's a weird limitation, even todoroki who i think it's a lot more of an experienced fighter, showed on the festival how his quirk's potency started to dwindle. Bakugou's never, not even a hint of that.

I don't know why it bothers me. Dehydration is his limitation?

cntr

Banned
Since a lot of what Bakugou does depends on precision control, the explosives are sweat, but they can be toggled with normal sweat.

Third best girl.

I'll chime in and say that I still think that Deku can beat Bakugou on the sheer strength that OFA is capable of. One hit is capable of incapacitating Bakugou. Though to be fair, Deku wouldn't have it in him to go all out where Bakugou has that killer instinct.

Bakugou's hot headed as hell I'm only 62 chapters in and unless something drastically changes with deku I agree that bakugou still wins(though I hate the kid)

cntr

Banned
You know, now that All for One has shown up...

I assumed when he gave his brother the strength quirk that created One for All, he did it by force. But looking at how he treats Shigaraki, what if All for One was actually trying to help his brother?

SalvaPot

I assumed when he gave his brother the strength quirk that created One for All, he did it by force. But looking at how he treats Shigaraki, what if All for One was actually trying to help his brother?

Yeah it is really ambiguous, even All Might explains it as:

"The man forced upon his little brother a quirk that stockpiles power.

And whether that was out of kindness or to bend him to his will, we still don't know."

cntr

Banned
We don't know anything about All For One, really. What we think is from assuming he's an ultimate supervillain, but he's already broken it: he actually cares about Shigaraki in a non-manipulative way.

Heck, for all we know, All for One had the same goal as All Might, but with "Symbol of Peace" replaced with him as an immortal dictator guarding humanity.

We don't know anything about All For One, really. What we think is from assuming he's an ultimate supervillain, but he's already broken it: he actually cares about Shigaraki in a non-manipulative way.

Heck, for all we know, All for One had the same goal as All Might, but with "Symbol of Peace" replaced with him as an immortal dictator guarding humanity.

So a clash in ideologies with the same goal in mind.

Yeah it is really ambiguous, even All Might explains it as:

"The man forced upon his little brother a quirk that stockpiles power.

And whether that was out of kindness or to bend him to his will, we still don't know."

Yeah, giving him a twisted kind of kindness and caring would be a great villain trait.

Trojita

It's going to be funny seeing people in the TV thread react to how Bakugou reacts to winning the School Tournament. I guess that is next season though.

You gotta write a full impression of what you think about the series so far once you have catched up :D
Alright not fully caught up(chap 80) but here it goes..IMA start this off on the highest of highs..unless this story falls off a cliff..top 3 right under one piece for me.

-the characters all unique,they all get screentime and depth but let's focus on the Mc for now. Deku is a really really good main character, I'm still a bit shocked that he's one of the few who's not an idiot. His ability to analyze the situation on the fly is marvelous and although he's not op or anythhe has the right setup to be.

-some of the most..hmm how to put it "interesting" villain designs I've ever seen(no seriously hand dude is freaking me out the face he made in the mall)

-powers are all cool only so much you can do new when everybody writes about powers and things. I find myself more interested in the villains powers more. Obviously I need to know what's going on with all for one and one for all

-bakugou is a jerk I hate him and he's gonna turn villian .

Picture wave

Yes. Excellent. Wonderful idiot Ashido.

Third best girl.

Ya dead to me son.

You guys liked the last one I posted in this manner, so here is another one

Holy shit, who is doing these? He gets the style down so fucking good I'm surprised it's not official work. Hilarious.

Also the most interesting thing about A4O is that with how he's been presented so far, while being very calculating and very...business-like? in his dialogue he definitely has a legitimate affection/attachment to Shigaraki. When he says he is doing it all for him, I really believe him. And it looks like such a strong relationship that mirrors Deku/All-Might especially with the words he says that are supposed to be strikingly similar to things All Might says.

When will this be animated, its the happiest I ever felt while reading this. Kirishima's friendship with Bakugou finally acknowledged by all and vitally and useful to the plot, and then Bakugou even smiling and gripping his hand canonically. I cant even. The arc has been redeemed since he actually made them do something useful, and Kirishima has finally been given the time to shine.
CilvnOkWsAA0Tvk.jpg:large

TheFlow

Banned
When will this be animated, its the happiest I ever felt while reading this. Kirishima's friendship with Bakugou finally acknowledged by all and vitally and useful to the plot, and then Bakugou even smiling and gripping his hand canonically. I cant even. The arc has been redeemed since he actually made them do something useful, and Kirishima has finally been given the time to shine.
CilvnOkWsAA0Tvk.jpg:large
Considering how it is the latest chapter and the anime just started...

Next year i hope we get 40+ episodes in a row, somehow World Trigger got 70+ episodes in one long run.
MHA deserves that,
unless the quality in animation drops then idc give us 2 cours a year like Haikyuu

cntr

Banned
OK, since we're talking about it in the anime thread, I gotta ask:

Do you guys who loathe Bakugou hate that they're trying to rescue him at all?

Trojita

He's their classmate and didn't ask to be targeted like this. Save him.

Nope that's their classmate why wouldn't they try it makes sense that the five specifically are the ones going. I'd argue only three of them are really going for bakugou tho.

I hate that they're not doing it more begrudgingly. Acknowledging that they have to do it because it's the right thing to do, but also cool it with the whole "our nakama!' thing.

Jintor

i don't know where you're reading into this 'my nakama' thing cosmic. they are going because he's their classmate, but they're hardly going 'power of friendship!' every five seconds or something. they just think it'd probably be better not for him to be ??? by evil villains intent on killing them/making them into noumus/???

Lunar15

Plenty, still don't like the kid. I think its totally fine that people don't.

That's like... the point of his character though. For you to not like him. But in doing so, you will want him to be likeable and his face-turn will be satisfying. Or he'll go straight evil and it will all make sense.

He is entirely designed for this. I don't think the writer intends for you to be gushing with love for him.

Point being: You can like how a character is written without actually liking how that character behaves. Bakugou is a really interesting character who is an insufferable prick with just enough silver lining for you to wonder what his path is going to be. Bully or not, Deku admires him in some weird way, and that's a central drive to a lot of the plot. He's the epitome of a character who had all the power, which is a foil to Deku who had the exact opposite life.

cntr

Banned
...except I don't see anything about "nakama!" in this arc. Deku and Todoroki want to do it because he got kidnapped right in front of them. Momo and Iida are coming along to ensure they don't die. Kirishima is the only one doing it out of friendship, and he's established as a forgiving person.

Deku refusing to help Bakugou or complaining about it would be uncharacteristic and immature.

That's like... the point of his character though. For you to not like him. But in doing so, you will want him to be likeable and his face-turn will be satisfying. Or he'll go straight evil and it will all make sense.

He is entirely designed for this. I don't think the writer intends for you to be gushing with love for him.
And that's perfectly fine but for now I don't like Jim because I'm not fond of angry characters there just angry, that's what most people were getting at in the anime thread. As of now he's just an angry kid.

Edit: on the flip side anybody saying they don't want him to get rescued are being silly.

Trojita

How many criminals do we think Stain killed as well? He mentioned having a disdain for fake heroes as well as criminals.

Man it must have really pissed him off that it was publically announced that the number #2 fake hero took him down.

Lunar15

I think I'd agree with you if he wasn't called out on his shit all the time in the story. That's kind of what makes him enjoyable in a way: Everyone truly sees him like we see him, an insufferable guy who is unbelievably angry for completely inane reasons. If he was this angry and the story made him out to be a guy everyone loved and admired, that would probably piss me off. It happens all the time, too. Like Sauske in Naruto. Everyone loves that kid starting out, but it makes no sense because he's an asshole.

Instead, Bakugou is a case study on someone who grows up in this society. The writer's doing a great job. There's just enough in there to make you think he'll face turn at some point, but also just enough in there to make you wonder if he'll eventually go with the villains. It's one of my favorite aspects of the show.

cntr

Banned
I think the latest chapter is Deku being genre savvy, incidentally, He doesn't want Bakugou to hesitate or get angered by his rescue.

He was about to get ZA HANDO'D by Hands, since they don't care about preserving him as anything but Noumu-fodder or as a hostage now.

Look at how many stories have a character turn bad/worse because their rescue upset them.

Deku neatly avoided that.

Top Bottom