• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As unlikely it would be for All For One to be Deku's father. There are some points that could make it true.

His real name was never revealed.
He sustained the injury from All Might after Deku would have been born.
We don't see Deku's father from the earliest we saw Deku (around age 4) till now. That would likely be right around the time of All Might's fight with him That could simply be the always at work or something else anime trope though.
Deku's father's name is Hisashi, which is a term for being gone awhile (long time no see). Who else has been absent for awhile and just turned up......
Deku's mother's comments on Deku's father's quirk being fire breathing, which just could be a quirk he took from someone and the only one he showed.
Even a low down dirty bastard like A4O can't help but love Deku Mom.

Most importantly:
The author Horikoshi LOVES Star Wars if that wasn't evident. He also loves play on words. Vader's name itself was a play on words. Vater means Father in German.

A4O kills All Might.
Izuku, I am your father.

Lunar15

I think I would have preferred a definitive conclusion here, this seems like it's drawing it out a bit too long. But god damn if he didn't pump up the drama and emotion here. It'll be worth it in the end.

TheFlow

Banned
As unlikely it would be for All For One to be Deku's father. There are some points that could make it true.

He sustained the injury from All Might after Deku would have been born.
We don't see Deku's father from the earliest we saw Deku (around age 4) till now. That would likely be right around the time of All Might's fight with him That could simply be the always at work or something else anime trope though.
Deku's father's name is Hisashi, which is a term for being gone awhile (long time no see). Who else has been absent for awhile and just turned up......
Deku's mother's comments on Deku's father's quirk being fire breathing, which just could be a quirk he took from someone and the only one he showed.
Even a low down dirty bastard like A4O can't help but love Deku Mom.

Most importantly:
The author Horikoshi LOVES Star Wars if that wasn't evident. He also loves play on words. Vader's name itself was a play on words. Vater means Father in German.

A4O kills All Might.
Izuku, I am your father.
Lol highly doubt it

cntr

Banned
It's going to be another awful pun last name.

Vader's name itself was a play on words. Vater means Father in German.
It's a coincidence. Darth Vader comes from "Invader", he wasn't even the emperor's right hand in Episode 4.

I think I would have preferred a definitive conclusion here, this seems like it's drawing it out a bit too long. But god damn if he didn't pump up the drama and emotion here. It'll be worth it in the end.
This is the turning point of the entire series, it's ok if he takes his time

convo

I think I would have preferred a difinitive conclusion here, this seems like it's drawing it out a bit too long. But god damn if he didn't pump up the drama and emotion here. It'll be worth it in the end.

The series has been moving at a pretty swift pace so far, with such a huge fight there's got to be some talk in there. And yes these chapters have been killing me with these cliffhangers.

Qurupeke

I like that the fake spoilers were true for the most part. lol

All Might will definitely beat/kill AFO, but his hour are numbered.

This chapter was incredible.

I have such a hard time putting into words exactly why these last few chapters have just been incredibly well drawn, written and framed. I could probably write a page for every page in this chapter describing why it works.

I love the way AFO immitated All Mights one handed power up the guy just loves being a cunt

Young Torino looks like an adult Robin looks really cool tho he still has those big ass shoes.

I really liked the Imagery this chapter but
his hand ;_;

Lunar15

Yeah, I agree that it's fine if he takes his time here. He did a great job of setting up a subversion of the ending of the last chapter (AfO had a giant fist attack too) but then subverting that to close out the chapter (All Might had another punch).

Not going to lie, AfO is probably one of the best villians I've read in a while, particularly relating to superheroes. His writing is spot on. He's a massive troll but he's all business.

This chapter was incredible.

I have such a hard time putting into words exactly why these last few chapters have just been incredibly well drawn, written and framed. I could probably write a page for every page in this chapter describing why it works.

Yeah, it's so on point. The scenes work so well, the pacing works so well, and the writing is building on top of so many setups throughout the chapters leading up to this.

SalvaPot

Yeah, I agree that it's fine if he takes his time here. He did a great job of setting up a subversion of the ending of the last chapter (AfO had a giant fist attack too) but then subverting that to close out the chapter (All Might had another punch).

Not going to lie, AfO is probably one of the best villians I've read in a while, particularly relating to superheroes. His writing is spot on. He's a massive troll but he's all business.

Yeah, it's so on point. The scenes work so well, the pacing works so well, and the writing is building on top of so many setups throughout the chapters leading up to this.

Didn't All Might un-swelled his right arm and pass it to his left arm to punch the fuck out of AfO? Also I think his right arm is dust now.

Okay so I'm slightly more on the notion of All Might dying if not just for the fact AFO
made a fucking Doomsday arm.

Good chapter though. Its nice to have no real certainty of what's going to happen.

Also we arnt talking about Endeavour.
Seeing how mad the guy was, someone with the amount of pride he has spending his whole life chasing after AM even pushing and using his family to achieve his goals only to find what hes been chasing after looks like a skeleton.

Fw7rW6Ul.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
This chapter confirmed that at least AFO is going to die or be detained. Him knowing that it's Deku means that unless AFO is arrested or dies here, Deku is fucked.

Still though that last page is insane. For a weekly manga, the art can be fucking outstanding at times.

Grexeno

This chapter confirmed that at least AFO is going to die or be detained. Him knowing that it's Deku means that unless AFO is arrested or dies here, Deku is fucked.

Still though that last page is insane. For a weekly manga, the art can be fucking outstanding at times.
Not sure why that would have to be. I've sort of felt Deku will end up revealing his secret to at least a select few, probably sooner rather than later.

Jarmel

Banned
Not sure why that would have to be. I've sort of felt Deku will end up revealing his secret to at least a select few, probably sooner rather than later.

There's really nobody capable of stopping AFO at this point and if OFA became public knowledge, Deku would be a huge target.

Trojita

These volume 9 omakes by the author oh man. Rag Doll in civilian clothes ;_;

Also the author drew Ashido in a bikini for the back cover.

So so good, what else can you say about this?

I love that the previous One for All user is a woman, i want to know all about her!

Also, i love how this author handles his female characters. Mt. Lady was outstanding in this arc.

Jintor

Also, i love how this author handles his female characters. Mt. Lady was outstanding in this arc.

The students and pros are pretty good, but it occurs to me the teaching staff is like 80-90% male. Midnight and Healing Lass are the only two women on staff that immediately pop into mind... unless some of the mask-wearing heroes (Snipe?) are ladies.

The students and pros are pretty good, but it occurs to me the teaching staff is like 80-90% male. Midnight and Healing Lass are the only two women on staff that immediately pop into mind... unless some of the mask-wearing heroes (Snipe?) are ladies.

The UA staff part i agree, it's true. However i'm willing to let it go, specially because Horikoshi made All Might's mentor and most important figure in his life a woman (she'd have been male in any other typical teen/young boy oriented story), basically he got from her everything we've seen from his character, down to his most memorable lines.

That there is just great, and so refreshing.

Jintor

I would love to see Hiroshiki comment on crowd shots. I wonder how many characters he leaves to his assistants and how often he's just like "Oh MAN I just had an idea about some fucking sick looking dudes to put in the BG"

Also the author drew Ashido in a bikini for the back cover.

Ex-fucking-scuse me?

And yeah, Mt. Lady showed some real grit. It's interesting because up to this point she seemed the epitome of the type of hero that Stain was talking about; she was trying to get famous, cutting in on other heroes and wearing a sexy outfit to draw attention. Even when handling the current mission she seemed a bit...flippant about it. And then shit goes down and she gets blowed the fuck up and throws herself into the path of the villains to let the kids get away. Showed a real good part to herself there.

I am somewhat curious how the previous One for All user hero'd it up because she is nowhere near as famous or a "symbol of hope" as All Might is.

I also love the other heroes and their complicated emotions for All Might. Endeavor's quick flashback was handled beautifully.

Also we arnt talking about Endeavour.
Seeing how mad the guy was, someone with the amount of pride he has spending his whole life chasing after AM even pushing and using his family to achieve his goals only to find what hes been chasing after looks like a skeleton.

It really shows the difference in dedication level. All Might literally gave EVERYTHING to be a hero according to his ideals.

Endeavour can be good, but he'll never be All Might, or ever close.

Trojita

All Might (Toshinori Yagi)
Cementoss (Ken Ishiyama)
Present Mic
Eraserhead (Shouta Aizawa)
Snipe
Midnight (Nemuri Kayama)
Ectoplasm
Power Loader
Blood King
Recovery Girl (Chiyo Shuuzenji) (Nurse)

So if you count the nurse that makes is 80% as far as we know. Who knows about the other departments and some of the other normal classes that the Hero Department kids still need to take. I forget, was a hero teacher like Present Mic teaching an English or Japanese course?

Midnight was actually supposed to be class A-1's Homeroom Teacher at first.

Also there might be a simpler answer (besides that this was just what the author did). Heroics for talented females that are also attractive (because that doesn't hurt) may be far more lucrative than teaching. Look at Mt. Lady who strives for attention and has a fan following or Medusa who is a hero that also has her own business.

This is one of the few times I wished fan reaction would shape a character's involvement in the manga. Like, everybody's love of Tsuyu really should push him to include her more. Or have her become someone close to Deku. I don't even care if it's just platonic it would be awesome for her to be part of the Iida/Ochako friend circle.

Meffer

This is one of the few times I wished fan reaction would shape a character's involvement in the manga. Like, everybody's love of Tsuyu really should push him to include her more. Or have her become someone close to Deku. I don't even care if it's just platonic it would be awesome for her to be part of the Iida/Ochako friend circle.

I don't know, I think she's pretty involved in the story. She only let's people she's considered friends with to call her Tsuyu, which she told Deku to her by when he met her. Came with Iida and Ochako to check on Deku during the festival. Seems like good friends with Ochako since they hang with each other often. And she even had a special chapter. I think she's part of Deku's group of friends.

Jintor

I wish I could get some kind of DTL filter because I like his posts except like 60% of them completely ignore reality, or at least our shared consensus reality

By the way, there were a few heroes in the BG of the USJ 'big damn heroes' spread that still haven't been named (or seen again)

/edit actually the manga is kinda impressive in how willing it is to sideline characters for whole arcs in favour of getting its focus right. Like the School Camp arc obviously was focused on the students + the cats + eraserhead/blood king, but the Rescue Arc is all about the A-Listers and a very small subset of the students. Ochako was sidelined for both the Stain arc and the Rescue arc so far, as was Tsuyu.

Jintor

Bakugou and his Merry Friends is definitely his group name.

Another thing I like about MHA is how hero offices have like 65 sidekicks. Lmao. Batman is probably the most prolific in regular comics and he's only got, like, 15. Until Batman Inc I guess.

Actually, let's check.

Robin I / Nightwing (Dick Grayson)
Robin II / Red Hood (Jason Todd)
Robin III / Red Robin (Tim Drake)
Robin IV / Spoiler / Batgirl IV (Stephanie Brown)
Robin V (Damien Wayne)
Batgirl I / Oracle (Barbara Gordon)
Batgirl III / Black Bat (Cassandra Cain)

Official sidekicks tally in at 7 (8 if you count Batman V, Terry McGinnis), not counting Batman Inc characters or more independent members of the Batfamily who never started out as sidekicks (Alfred, Batwoman (Kate Kane), Batman II (Jean Paul Valley), Huntress etc).

Trojita

Bakugou and his Merry Friends is definitely his group name.

Another thing I like about MHA is how hero offices have like 65 sidekicks. Lmao. Batman is probably the most prolific in regular comics and he's only got, like, 15. Until Batman Inc I guess.

"Fake" Heroes have 65 sidekicks.

The memes of "Stain did nothing wrong" are going to be outpouring during season 2.

I don't know, I think she's pretty involved in the story. She only let's people she's considered friends with to call her Tsuyu, which she told Deku to her by when he met her. Came with Iida and Ochako to check on Deku during the festival. Seems like good friends with Ochako since they hang with each other often. And she even had a special chapter. I think she's part of Deku's group of friends.

You shoosh.

cntr

Banned
Class A-1 was a sausage fest in the planning stages, so Horikoshi fixed it by swapping some students, like Tsuyu and Hagakure.

The major staff characters so far are All Might, Midnight, Aizawa, Present Mic, the Principal, and Recovery Girl, so I'm guessing the staff wasn't balanced the same way. Not as many important characters.

Top Bottom