• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
sensei. some so far unidentified doctor figure who hasn't really shown up again ever
The doctor guy we saw in the foreground of AFO's first on-screen appearance.

Also seems to be the Doctor who diagnosed Deku as quirkless, I'm guessing he picks candidates for Noumu-fication or quirk-stealing and handles the bioengineering for Noumus. Like the Wing Kid from Bakugou's childhood.

Given that, he'll probably be important later.

Jintor

The doctor guy we saw in the foreground of AFO's first on-screen appearance.

Also seems to be the Doctor who diagnosed Deku as quirkless, I'm guessing he picks candidates for Noumu-fication or quirk-stealing and handles the bioengineering for Noumus. Like the Wing Kid from Bakugou's childhood.

Given that, he'll probably be important later.

I don't necessarily agree with that id, seems too conveniently related. Though with the anime out I wonder if you could compare voices...

cntr

Banned
I'm sure Deku is naturally quirkless, because AFO's quirk stealing is traumatic and Deku's rare in a generation.

But it would make sense for All for One to have agents that keep track of potential quirks and Noumu fodder. The original
Noumu was composed from like, 3 to 4 people.

So having finished the anime made me realize my problem with Shigaraki as the main villain going forward... Its that he's a loser. Dude has taken L after L the whole series yet I'm supposed to buy people rallying around him as a major threat going forward...

cntr

Banned
That's because Shigaraki has to grow up and stop being a loser, like Deku. All for One's defeat is where his arc to become a real villain starts.

I like that he's a loser tbh, villains need to start out somewhere too. The narration is Deku telling the story in retrospect, he knows how Shigaraki ends up.

cntr

Banned
It's a coming of age story for every character. Heroes and villains alike.

Except for One for All and All Might and all the other old heroes and villains, it's their ending of age. It's a generation transition story.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Do we know if people who possess quirks undergo a secondary mutation of sorts like some mutants do in the X-Men? Do the characters develop more exotic abilities or with a greater knowledge and understanding of said abilities learn to harness them in ways that aren't quite so superficial? For example Kaminari can discharge electricity or electrocute anything he touches or touches him but is it outside the realm of possibility for him to say...turn into electricity himself to enable much greater movement speed. I think that would be cool but he'd only be able to move along conductive surfaces and whatever he moved along would still be electrified. With that, it transitions smoothly into manga because from what I've gauged is that most powers seem to have some type of drawback. Still, I'd like to see something like this even if it doesn't seem to feasible right now.

cntr

Banned
No, the powers are like Jojo, One Piece, or HxH. You do more by clever application, not by new powers.

Being able to gain powers is why All for One is so broken.

I'm fine with how shigaraki is, and i wonder how will his story end. I mean, by shonen standards deku would probably beat him in the final duel, but i hope it's done masterfully and goes a bit deeper, and not so black and white like usual superhero stuff. It's a great character with a lot of potential.

Also i'm kind of confused how quirks work, because we have the mutations, but this people actually have some added abilities too (like the nice "talk to the animals" dude in class A). So, it's a mix of quirks from the parents, like todoroki? So you usually have 2 quirks going on at once?

Lunar15

All for One laid it out pretty well himself: because All Might couldn't finish All for One off, Shiragaki now has the necessary rage and focus to become more of a leader.

Shiragaki is such a weird and interesting spin on a shounen villain, if only because he's going through the same growth usually reserved for the protagonist.

Been reading the manga up until now and I'm excited for the next chapter!! Does anyone think that No Might will tell Deku's Mom
about One for All
or maybe Deku might make a speech about always wanting to help others and that he why he needs to be there at UA. I understand his mom's problem with it. I think any of our parents would worry about us if we were running around, getting ourselves into fights with individuals who could level a city block with their abilities.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Been reading the manga up until now and I'm excited for the next chapter!! Does anyone think that No Might will tell Deku's Mom
about One for All
or maybe Deku might make a speech about always wanting to help others and that he why he needs to be there at UA. I understand his mom's problem with it. I think any of our parents would worry about us if we were running around, getting ourselves into fights with individuals who could level a city block with their abilities.

You don't have to spoil that, this is the manga thread.

cntr

Banned
Also i'm kind of confused how quirks work, because we have the mutations, but this people actually have some added abilities too (like the nice "talk to the animals" dude in class A). So, it's a mix of quirks from the parents, like todoroki? So you usually have 2 quirks going on at once?
Yeah, it's a mix of quirks.

It's still one quirk, but mutation quirks fuse easily with other quirks. So Tokoyami has a shadow quirk while also being a bird man.

Todoroki is a special case because his quirk is a fusion of "ice powers" and "fire powers" into "full heat control", which is a rare way for quirks to combine.

Jintor

Do we know if people who possess quirks undergo a secondary mutation of sorts like some mutants do in the X-Men? Do the characters develop more exotic abilities or with a greater knowledge and understanding of said abilities learn to harness them in ways that aren't quite so superficial? For example Kaminari can discharge electricity or electrocute anything he touches or touches him but is it outside the realm of possibility for him to say...turn into electricity himself to enable much greater movement speed. I think that would be cool but he'd only be able to move along conductive surfaces and whatever he moved along would still be electrified. With that, it transitions smoothly into manga because from what I've gauged is that most powers seem to have some type of drawback. Still, I'd like to see something like this even if it doesn't seem to feasible right now.

No, the powers are like Jojo, One Piece, or HxH. You do more by clever application, not by new powers.

Being able to gain powers is why All for One is so broken.

Yeah, I think I remember All Might saying that while powers themselves might not mutate you might learn to understand them better (he gave the example of a 'make water' power that was later understood to be a 'draw water in from the atmosphere and expel it' power; the power itself doesn't change, but one's understanding and therefore use of it might).

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Okay. But seriously though, do you think no might might go for it? Tell the secret of how Deku just suddenly got a quirk? I can tell by the look he gave that something is going to go down.

It's likely. I think Izuku's mother needs to be one of the select few that knows One for All's secret. Especially since her son now carries it.

Jintor

I don't think he knows explicitly. I think he could probably put it together since post USJ he definitely noticed that Midoriya was as fast as All Might, he's been focused on Midoriya for a while, and frankly I think everyone is going to know in maybe an arc or two.

Anyway, side game:

v8EWyTW.jpg

Without checking, can you tell the characters only from one eye?

cntr

Banned
Deku, Bakugou, Ochako, Iida, not sure, not sure, Tsuyu, Mineta, Aoyama, Ashido, Ojiro, Kouda, Satou, Jirou, Sero, Shouji, Tokoyami, not sure, Yaoyorozu?, Hagakure, Shinsou, not sure, Tetsutetsu, Mei

Jintor

My guesses:

Deku, Baku, Uchako, Iida, Karashima
Denki, Tsuyu, Mineta, Twinkly, Ridley
Tails, Rock guy, ???, Earjacks, Sero
Birdy, ???, ???, Yaoyao, Hagakure
Shinsou, Mimic, Tetsutetsu, Mai, Principle

i don't actually have an answer sheet so we'll have to compare notes

ahdurian

Row 1 - Midoriya, Bakugou, Ochako, Iida, Kirishima
Row 2 - Kaminari, Tsuyu, Mineta, wanna say Aoyama, Ashido
Row 3 - Kung-fu Tail Guy, Talking bird/insect Guy?, Sugar-strength guy?, Jirou, Tape guy?
Row 4 - Shouji?, Tokoyami, Todoroki, Yaoyoruzu, 2nd best waifu Hagakure
Row 5 - Aizawa, No clue, Tetsutetsu, 1st best waifu Mei, Principal

That side game reminded me that Mei is awesome and honestly I think she might become more than a saleswoman for her machines. I honestly think she might become a iron man like character of sorts, I mean it would be pretty cool. :D

Why does midoriya mom have to be like that, while everyone else was all happily willing to keep UA entrusted with their kids. Bakugo family best in the manga. Shocking how Todoroki is the one with the problematic family background but Bakugos is all like this, and Midoriya's is saddening.

Also Bakugou said thanks and looked all nice and such, he's so great now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Two other parts I can't wait to see animated but probably aren't on the top of people's lists are the chariot competition and the race at the beginning.

Midoriya taking that "shield" from the robot and using it was fucking awesome. Can't wait to see the minefield boarding he does to get into 1st place.

The show kind of spoiled how powerful Tokoyami (Bird kid) is, at least what I can remember from the comics. I remember thinking when Iida said he wasn't going to join Deku's chariot group and then he was left with Ochako, Tokoyami, and Mei "Great, he's going to be the number 1 target and his group sucks". Mei isn't even in the hero department and her power was unknown to us if even useful, Tokoyami's power is unknown, Midoriya probably can't use his power at all especially since he is the rider, and Ochako can levitate. At that point it didn't seem like they had any means of offense. And then Tokoyami shows his stuff.

Jintor

his weakness is super easy to take advantage of though, so I hope he trains his own body better rather than just relying on his quirk

Top Bottom