• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

I fully expect Mineta's room if we ever see it to be a total trope subversion full of like classic literature and fine arts because he actually enjoys that stuff.

cntr

Banned
toad.jpg

tumblr_nenc41jS3S1tq0b3no1_540.jpg
so that's where those binocular things come from

Moaradin

Been a few weeks behind but just caught up (chapter 98).

This slice of life stuff is great. As much as the non-stop action is awesome, sometimes a little break is needed. Pretty hilarious chapter.

cntr

Banned
You know, battle shounen main characters usually aren't great or people's favorite character, but Deku is in everybody's top 5, even no. 1!

It's really nice.

Puruzi

Banned
I just realized that I really like that Deku's classmates like him and consider him as a friend. In shonens the protag usually doesn't have many friends but here people like Deku despite his nerdiness.

Ascheroth

Yep, those last two chapters were great.
Horikoshis character writing is too strong.

And I just noticed that the first volume is coming out in German at the end of the month. Sweet.
They translated 'quirk' as 'Macke', which is a good translation I think, but what gave me a good chuckle is that there's the german idiom 'eine Macke haben', which translates to 'to be nuts' or 'to have a screw loose'. Had to immediately think about Dekus shenanigans, lol.

Crocodile

A) Jonathan Young put up his English cover of the OP of the anime <3

B) Last few chapters have been great. Bonding time is a go <3

C) I don't think I'll ever be a fan of Satou's character design. Those fucking lips man >_< Plz stop doing that Japan :/

I just realized that I really like that Deku's classmates like him and consider him as a friend. In shonens the protag usually doesn't have many friends but here people like Deku despite his nerdiness.

Yeah I'm a fan of this. Nice contrast with Naruto.

Reminds me of kinnikuman, tbh. I'm not fond of that design either, feels like horikoshi could've done something more interesting there.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It IS a homage to Kinnikuman.

The student with the worst costume has to be Rock Animal though. Like wtf.

I just thought of something, what if Mount Lady is Kendou's older sister? Mount Lady got gigantification powers that aren't adjustable while Kendou got the power to just gigantify her hands (as far as we know).

Jintor

It IS a homage to Kinnikuman.

The student with the worst costume has to be Rock Animal though. Like wtf.

I just thought of something, what if Mount Lady is Kendou's older sister? Mount Lady got gigantification powers that aren't adjustable while Kendou got the power to just gigantify her hands (as far as we know).

that would be cool actually.

have we seen a lot of siblings besides shouto's sister?

Besides the beginning of Naruto and Death Note what other shonen are you referring to?

Besides the beginning of Naruto and Death Note what other shonen are you referring to?

Wait when did people dislike Light at first? Light hated people/society but the few people we see him interact with unrelated to the Death Note seem to like him.

Yusuke Urameshi is probably the best example.
I think Ichigo was pretty disliked but it's been ages since I read the beginning of Bleach.

Ichigo's classmates liked Ichigo he was just a standoff because he could see ghost and they couldn't.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ichigo's classmates liked Ichigo he was just a standoff because he could see ghost and they couldn't.

Ah right. I just remember Ichigo fighting people.
So far only Yusuke and Naruto, and half of the reason people didn't like Naruto wasn't even his fault (the other half is that he was an annoying brat).

I... really can't think of any others.

So far only Yusuke and Naruto, and half of the reason people didn't like Naruto wasn't even his fault (the other half is that he was an annoying brat).

Yeah and if we're gonna get technical Deku was bullied and disliked by all his classmates in middle school for being quirkiness, it wasn't until he got into UA that he found a group that accepted him. I really can't think of a Shonen protagonist who is universally disliked for any extend period of time in their own series outside of Naruto, Yusuke after coming back from ghost form basically makes quick friends and allies with everyone.

Forgivable, since Bleach has been a turd since the end of the SS arc. I thought Ichigo was pretty cool before the series fell apart.

Deku kind of has that Ed Elric charisma going for him.

WarRock

Just read through 89-99. Man, I thought Tsuyu was hiding because her room required some weird installation to keep her body hydrated or something and she was ashamed of it.

United States of SMASH is my panel of the year.

&#128588;100 CHAPTERS&#128588;

What a ride its been, heres to 100more.

~

It amazing how many distinct reactions Horikoshi can make for characters, especially Deku. Always makes me laugh.

I hope one of Dekus special attacks is to do with his legs. Full Cowls strength lets him run up mountains leaving Imprints and with his arms in a dangerous state it would be a good addition to his arsenal.

Also All Might continues to be the best character ever.

The teachers guide in his back pocket lmao.

Also dat ending.

cntr

Banned
Oh, Iida. Oh Bakugou. And All Might too cute.

What a goofy cliffhanger, time for more Deku/Uraraka shenanigans!

bets on Deku getting a shield and becoming Captain America

Jintor

to be honest i'm simulaneously a bit disappointed the boobs gag is so brazen and at the same time kinda impressed the boob gag is so brazen.

the all might learning from a for dummies guide gag was amazing though

cntr

Banned
should we have another bet on the upgrades, like Deku + shield or Uravity + rockets?

Latest traitor speculation making the rounds: Kaminari.
- Has both jamming, communication, GPS powers
- Brain short circuiting can be faked, and removes him from battles
- Monoma uses Kaminari's quirk, doesn't have the drawback
- Weird "two-faced" appearance in the episode 10 sketch
- One of the students who could've been in the undone bed in the boys room
- Would actually be dramatic, both in-universe and out

Not sure if I believe it, but it'd be way more dramatic than Invisible Girl or Laser Guy.

Top Bottom