• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
I hope the new rival dude turns out to be a total bro.

I feel like Horikoshi's would hate botched romance as much as us, lol. He's approximately the same generation as us and heavily western influenced, I expect him to think normal shounen romance is shit. He probably thinks comics romance is shit, too, which it is.

So far, there have been literally no hints of a love triangle. Even Himiko's crush on Deku is portrayed as crazy serial killer stuff, not villain romance. Everything is being used as motivation for Ochako to sort her feelings out, not as a source of drama. Horikoshi's setting up a very straight-forward romance.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I hope the new rival dude turns out to be a total bro.

I feel like Horikoshi's would hate botched romance as much as us, lol. He's approximately the same generation as us and heavily western influenced, I expect him to think normal shounen romance is shit. He probably thinks comics romance is shit, too, which it is.

So far, there have been literally no hints of a love triangle. Even Himiko's crush on Deku is portrayed as crazy serial killer stuff, not villain romance. Everything is being used as motivation for Ochako to sort her feelings out, not as a source of drama. Horikoshi's setting up a very straight-forward romance.

thank goodness for that, ive been following 'will they or wont they' romances for a long time, its nice to sit back and read a manga with an obvious pairing for once(along with Nanatsu no Taizai)

cntr

Banned
Oh, and there was a mistranslation in the most recent chapter: the new guy placed first in the exam for recommended students, hence Deku comparing him to Todoroki and not Bakugou

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I saw this panel and was wondering something. (Obviously this is before Deku and Todoroki became bro's, as well as Deku getting to know a lot more other people (ChuuniBird))

kSidFew.png

When has Deku really ever talked with Jirou?

Hagakure I could understand because of how Genki she is so everyone may see her as a friend.

SalvaPot

I saw this panel and was wondering something. (Obviously this is before Deku and Todoroki became bro's, as well as Deku getting to know a lot more other people (ChuuniBird))

When has Deku really ever talked with Jirou?

Hagakure I could understand because of how Genki she is so everyone may see her as a friend.

Wasn't this from the spin-off thing?

I just remembered Deku is fucking ripped

You think we'll ever get a "Ochako walks in on Deku being a supermodel and faints from blood loss" scene

Honestly I just want a shirtless Deku scene again

Trojita

Wasn't this from the spin-off thing?

Or the omake, forget. Still thought it was weird seeing her name there when I don't even remember them communicating.

I just remembered Deku is fucking ripped

You think we'll ever get a "Ochako walks in on Deku being a supermodel and faints from blood loss" scene

Honestly I just want a shirtless Deku scene again

k2dePRc.jpg

I feel like this picture still didn't capture how absolutely ripped he is.

But yo, I kinda really want a scene in the dorm bath or somewhere where Mineta is like "yeah you're all buff but I'm sure I'v got Deku beat" and, yeah

Nah that's not buff enough.

See I'm talking about swoleness nearing that of Street Fighter V. Deku's prolly got an 8-pack in his biceps. Dude could fit in with Team Ikari in KOF when he grows up.

OMG I want Deku to throw the shit out of people now

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Felt like this episode had a couple of retcons (there's a school on par with UA, and there was someone else with a better score than Todoroki). I would have rather they'd have just played the "it doesn't matter how prestigious your school is or how talented you are initially, if you work hard you can get strong!!" trope (do mangas about hard work still exist?).

Anyway, looks like it could be a fun saga, but I would have liked to see some of Class B again.

As for the romance, I think you guys are kidding yourselves. Even if MHA is not like other shounen, did we ever had a popular shounen in Jump where the protagonist hooked up before the end of the series?

Even in something like Silver Spoon where the feelings for eachother are clear and everyone knows it, they still don't start dating.

Nairume

Banned
As for the romance, I think you guys are kidding yourselves. Even if MHA is not like other shounen, did we ever had a popular shounen in Jump where the protagonist hooked up before the end of the series?
Feel like Yu Yu Hakusho pretty much did, even if the ending tried to double back and do a last minute will they won't they despite having established Yusuke and Keiko as a thing pretty early on.

Also Dragon Ball, though there's obvious caveats with that.

cntr

Banned
one thing I like about Monoma: his quirk works best as the member of a team or partnership, but his personality is directly opposed to making that happen

SalvaPot

Felt like this episode had a couple of retcons (there's a school on par with UA, and there was someone else with a better score than Todoroki). I would have rather they'd have just played the "it doesn't matter how prestigious your school is or how talented you are initially, if you work hard you can get strong!!" trope (do mangas about hard work still exist?).

Anyway, looks like it could be a fun saga, but I would have liked to see some of Class B again.

Even in something like Silver Spoon where the feelings for eachother are clear and everyone knows it, they still don't start dating.

Bakuman did, but for the Beta couple. Oh, and Dragon Ball, but that was not really a romance. And Toriko.

Hmm, I am detecting a pattern here.

cntr

Banned
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure resolved romances, I guess?

But that's a generational saga and um...stuff happened.

I guess Medaka Box but they dont really hook up in the sense they go on dates.

Medaka acknowledges her feelings for Zenkichi and admits shes fallen for him and then they kiss. This about 50 chapters before the end.

cntr

Banned
Oh, and Eyeshield 21 set up and maintained its romance between Sena and Suzuna.

But the entire romance happened in the background and isn't explicitly talked about, ever.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Read more shounen. There are tons of other shounen out there that break those kind of conventions of the basic mainstream shounen series people have come to be familiar with.

Chrno Crusade is a great example

I just wanted to point out that theres apparently a theory developing around ochakos love sickness maybe having to do with Toga

Since we dont actually know what her quirk is and what she was doing draining blood here

WarRock

Nah that's not buff enough.

See I'm talking about swoleness nearing that of Street Fighter V. Deku's prolly got an 8-pack in his biceps. Dude could fit in with Team Ikari in KOF when he grows up.

OMG I want Deku to throw the shit out of people now
This is a damn good compromise. Legs for striking and arms for throwing... damn, imagine a full cowl Ralf's SDM through a town or some shit.

Meffer

I just wanted to point out that theres apparently a theory developing around ochakos love sickness maybe having to do with Toga

Since we dont actually know what her quirk is and what she was doing draining blood here
Nah, that doesn't make sense. It's Toga getting emotions, feelings or thoughts from whoever she takes blood from.

SalvaPot

Well, we already had like 2 ochako in love scenes before this fight, so I really doubt it.

Nah. She just loves Deku and can't admit it (yet) because shounen manga.

Let's not compare Naruto 'romance' to other manga, its just grounds for derailing really.

What's the problem? i'm stating that i hope Horikoshi tops that moment. You know, famous shonen manga and the approach it got to romance. Ochako is less of a trope than hinata, so i'm expecting great things from Horikoshi regarding the romance part.

Trojita

I'm calling bullshit on the Toga influencing Ochako thing.

About Ochako, I don't know how she can possibly expand her ability or make it more useful in a team situation. She could lift Deku up and let him do a devastating kick from Orbit, but Deku himself can jump ridicously high with All for One. I can't see how martial arts are going to make that big of a difference in a world populated by people with reinforcement quirks. It seems that UA themselves priorotize both straight up battle ability and incapicitating ability. Mineta received enrollment because his balls are a pretty OP ability to apprehend criminals. Ochako can both lift someone so high they can't do anything until lowered (she needs to train against naseau) and she'd make a great rescuer since she can both float to higher floors and lift heavy objects with her floating ability. She could float to the top of a burning building to save someone or float rubble that fell on someone and save them.

The only other possibility I could see is her power evolving. Full power over gravity or something.

Meffer

About Ochako, I don't know how she can possibly expand her ability or make it more useful in a team situation. She could lift Deku up and let him do a devastating kick from Orbit, but Deku himself can jump ridicously high with All for One. I can't see how martial arts are going to make that big of a difference in a world populated by people with reinforcement quirks. It seems that UA themselves priorotize both straight up battle ability and incapicitating ability. Mineta received enrollment because his balls are a pretty OP ability to apprehend criminals. Ochako can both lift someone so high they can't do anything until lowered (she needs to train against naseau) and she'd make a great rescuer since she can both float to higher floors and lift heavy objects with her floating ability. She could float to the top of a burning building to save someone or float rubble that fell on someone and save them.

The only other possibility I could see is her power evolving. Full power over gravity or something.

Her quirk with hand to hand combat would work together really well since she can mess with people's center of gravity and sense of balance. That and make her capable of going against larger foes.

If she could modulate it, it could work. Rather than making everybody weightless, make 'em a little bit lighter, so they're quicker on their feet. Not to mention the possibilities re: full-on flight once she gets over the nausea thing.

Bowl0l

I hope Himiko has a shape-shifting quirk. Then the author give us a confession scene which is actually Himiko all the while.

cntr

Banned
Ochako can use weightless projectiles, weightless martial arts, and power up One for All by making either Deku or the enemy weightless. And those are only the generic options. There's plenty of options if you apply some cleverness and situational/environmental techniques.

Horikoshi drew this on Twitter:

Ochako can use weightless projectiles, weightless martial arts, and power up One for All by making either Deku or the enemy weightless. And those are only the generic options. There's plenty of options if you apply some cleverness and situational/environmental techniques.

Horikoshi drew this on Twitter:

Ochako's power can be pretty strong, honestly. Take away someone's gravity and give them a strong kick into the air and they're going to space. Aladdin in the series Magi did something similar.

Top Bottom