• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Season 2 |OT| - Quality Has No Demographic

Orcastar

Great episode. And really creepy too, especially Pinkie's turning scene, holy crap! And this is a show aimed at little girls!

My prediction of how everything will be resolved: The gang defeat Discord, but instead of being encased in stone again, Celestia and Discord come to an agreement whereby Discord is given the Everfree Forest to rule and we learn a valuable lesson about how the world needs both order (Celestia's Solar Empire) and chaos (the Everfree Forest ruled by Discord). This would be in line with the show's theme of friendship and it would also allow Discord to return in future episodes.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
ahoyhoy said:
NJG5I.gif
dawwwwww. i love this.

brian577

Banned
Orcastar said:
Great episode. And really creepy too, especially Pinkie's turning scene, holy crap! And this is a show aimed at little girls!

My prediction of how everything will be resolved: The gang defeat Discord, but instead of being encased in stone again, Celestia and Discord come to an agreement whereby Discord is given the Everfree Forest to rule and we learn a valuable lesson about how the world needs both order (Celestia's Solar Empire) and chaos (the Everfree Forest ruled by Discord). This would be in line with the show's theme of friendship and it would also allow Discord to return in future episodes.

Sounds good in theory, but your forgetting about the only sentient who lives in the Everfree forest. I don't think Zecora would appreciate that arrangement very much.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Orcastar said:

No way! Discord shouldn't get anything for being a douche and messing with people's heads!

Bakphoon

Finally Managed to watch Episode 1 Of Season 2 during synchtube.

My Review:

IZENIGEIEUMGKIUEGFIEIKWVVDUWFVUWGFGWI MY BODY WAS NOT READY! MUCH BETTER THAN EXPECTED!

And finally I can browse on Pony sites again. I'm so happy :D

Chuck

Still without luck
Good first episode, but it felt a little too fast paced. I guess that's what you get when you only have 44 minutes to tell a 2-part narrative, but I think episode 1 last season did a better job, but this cliffhanger was better.

Still, off to a very good start and next week can't come soon enough!

Ramma2

Cruel Fluttershy is best nega-pony. Was awesome when she hip checked one of the other ponies, I forget who it was.

UberTag

Ramma2 said:
Cruel Fluttershy is best nega-pony. Was awesome when she hip checked one of the other ponies, I forget who it was.
She hipchecked Pinkie, Applejack laughed at her, Pinkie asked what she was laughing at and AJ responded... "Uhhhhhh... chocolate milk." <guilty liar face>

Orcastar

brian577 said:
Sounds good in theory, but your forgetting about the only sentient who lives in the Everfree forest. I don't think Zecora would appreciate that arrangement very much.
Ah, but the beauty of it is that nothing much has to change in the Everfree Forest since it's already a pretty chaotic place ("the clouds move by themselves!"). Granted, Discord's brand of chaos was a bit (hah!) more extreme at the start of the episodes, but he could have just been showing off and making a grand entrance after being imprisoned for so long.

Thnikkaman said:
No way! Discord shouldn't get anything for being a douche and messing with people's heads!
Obviously there needs to be some justification for why Discord would get off the hook after causing all that grief, and to that end I'm betting that he has deeper reasons behind his actions than the "fact" that he's the embodiment of chaos. In other words, he might not be quite as evil as Celestia depicted him to be.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Orcastar said:
Obviously there needs to be some justification for why Discord would get off the hook after causing all that grief, and to that end I'm betting that he has deeper reasons behind his actions than the "fact" that he's the embodiment of chaos. In other words, he might not be quite as evil as Celestia depicted him to be.
I dunno, man. Bad guys try and justify their actions all they like and still keep doing their thing. Or it could be like the Joker and he just wants to cause chaos.

McNum

That was awesome! I'm liking Discord as a villain very much, he is basically Q, but as a whatever they said he was. He just owns every scene he's in, and is a very powerful adversary for the ponies to overcome. Next week is going to be good. Also, if this is any indicator as to how good Season 2 is going to be, then wow.

Specifically, I loved Pinkie's reaction to the chocolate rain. And Discord's introduction in the glass was great. I loved that Fluttershy was incorruptible, so Discord basically had to cheat to get her. That's so Fluttershy. And, of course, it's Rainbow Dash that break everything. Great pony, but doesn't think that far ahead. An obious master of illusions show you exactly what you fear and offer you to give up saving the world for it. Think, Dash, think! Never mind...

I can also say 100% that I got my episode 1 prediction completely wrong. I predicted Twilight would get corrupted by Discord. Well, she didn't, but the other five did. Outside bet on Luna in episode 2 still stands, though.

I really liked this episode.

In the maze, I was impressed with how creepy they made the
apple golem
and
balloon garden
, while working within fairly innocuous boundaries. I agree that Fluttershy's
turning
was a bit cheap, but I was fine with the other ones. I think it might've ended up stronger if instead of the
hypnotism
there was just a snap point where they lost their will to
follow their element
. Can't wait for the follow-up.

Zomba13

I really liked this one. Felt a bit quick in some places but over all was good. Perfect casting for Discord and Pinkie being Pinkie was great.

Acerac

Banned
ahoyhoy said:
The show would be vastly improved if Applejack stayed this way for the rest of the series.

Come to think of it, the only other time I appreciated the character was when she was lying in season 1.

karby

ahoyhoy said:

Poker face Applejack is best face Applejack.

Actually, I hope we get more Applejack centered episodes, where she isn't shown being a jerk. Even though Twilight is the best pony
(fact)
, I want to see more of Applejack because she is the only one who hasn't truly been shown beyond her surface personality, imo.

Neki

more reason to hate Applejack the liar and Rainbow Dash the traitor.

pinkie and twilight confirmed to be best ponies still.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rainbow Dash isn't really a traitor. Where discord changed everyone else, all he did with Dash was tempt her with her own loyalty. Dash didn't ditch her friends, she raced off because she thought Cloudsdale was in danger. There was nothing self-serving about it for her.

Neki

they can all fly though.

I don't see the problem here.

flying city inhabited by flying pegasi is crumbling?

oh nooooooooooooooooooo

OMG Aero

Man that episode was AMAZING.
The only real problem I had with it was that the start of the episode seemed to go by really fast (The farm scene in particular), but once the main characters got to the palace the pacing seemed to get back to normal and was fine for the rest of the episode.
John de Lancie totally stole the show as Discord. Really good voice work for the character and I would love it if the next episode wasn't the last we see as him, there's really good potential in having him in future episodes trolling the characters by triggering a conflict they have to solve. Also it was great that Pinkie was pretty much okay with what he was doing.
I loved the whole character corruption plot, lying Applejack was great and seeing Pinkie being a jerk again was fun too. But once again Fluttershy was confirmed to be the best pony. Unless Twilight proves immune to it in the next episode, she was the only one that couldn't be tempted and when she was forcefully corrupted she was awesome. I hope we get some more moments next episode of Fluttershy being a bitch to everyone because it was hilarious in this one.

Can't wait for the next part, but I really hope that the plot isn't just Twilight stays normal and has to bring everyone back together. It would be nice to see what a corrupt Twilight would be like.

Ultimoo said:
they can all fly though.

I don't see the problem here.

flying city inhabited by flying pegasi is crumbling?

oh nooooooooooooooooooo

I think you're underestimating the importance of Cloudsdale. Don't you remember Sonic
Rainboom? Weather is really important.

She did break her loyalty to Celestia in failing the quest to retrieve the elements of harmony.

jogarrr

OMG Aero said:
It would be nice to see what a corrupt Twilight would be like.
What would that even be? Idiot Twilight? I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen.

Edit: Actually I guess it would be the opposite of her element and not her personality.. Anti-Magic?

V Luna is a myth. She doesn't exist.

Neki

OMG Aero said:
The only real problem I had with it was that the start of the episode seemed to go by really fast (The farm scene in particular), but once the main characters got to the palace the pacing seemed to get back to normal and was fine for the rest of the episode.
John de Lancie totally stole the show as Discord. Really good voice work for the character and I would love it if the next episode wasn't the last we see as him, there's really good potential in having him in future episodes trolling the characters by triggering a conflict they have to solve. Also it was great that Pinkie was pretty much okay with what he was doing.
I loved the whole character corruption plot, lying Applejack was great and seeing Pinkie being a jerk again was fun too. But once again Fluttershy was confirmed to be the best pony. Unless Twilight proves immune to it in the next episode, she was the only one that couldn't be tempted and when she was forcefully corrupted she was awesome. I hope we get some more moments next episode of Fluttershy being a bitch to everyone because it was hilarious in this one.

Can't wait for the next part, but I really hope that the plot isn't just Twilight stays normal and has to bring everyone back together. It would be nice to see what a corrupt Twilight would be like.

who else is going to save them, luna? lol.

I think you're underestimating the importance of Cloudsdale. Don't you remember Sonic
Rainboom? Weather is really important.

She did break her loyalty to Celestia in failing the quest to retrieve the elements of harmony.

they don't seem to be doing a good job in this episode, see all that chocolate rain?

Uchip

Banned
OMG Aero said:
The only real problem I had with it was that the start of the episode seemed to go by really fast .

am i the only person that thought this was a GOOD thing?

jogarrr said:
What would that even be? Idiot Twilight? I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen. Anti-Magic?

a singularity that consumes the world

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ultimoo said:
they don't seem to be doing a good job in this episode, see all that chocolate rain?
we know natural weather exists in equestria, its just deemed unnatural under the iron hoof of celestias solar empire.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Luna is going to show up and be like Morn from DS9. Totally silent but the other characters will make reference to her being very talkative.

OMG Aero

jogarrr said:
What would that even be? Idiot Twilight? I'm kinda hoping that doesn't happen.

Edit: Actually I guess it would be the opposite of her element and not her personality.. Anti-Magic?
Well friendship is magic so therefore magic also equals friendship. Maybe she could just be an anti-social jerk?

Basically I just want to see more characters being assholes.

jogarrr

OMG Aero said:
lol, they are a bit better as jerks.
I'm not sure if there was any truth to the vision Applejack was shown but if there is maybe we will see anti-Twi.

I hope we get a song from the anti-ponies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
OMG Aero said:
Well friendship is magic so therefore magic also equals friendship. Maybe she could just be an anti-social jerk?

if discord corrupts all of her friends, she wont have any friendship magic.
6 for the price of 5.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
OMG Aero said:

Luna.
Has no freinds. Back to the drawing board. As it were.

Ikael

Not so great episode? WUT? Of course it suffered from time constraints and felt rush it at the beggining, but come on.

The hypnotism sounds more like an "aceleration" type of mechanism rather than an outright deus ex machina, considering how some of said transformations were self inflicted (Rarity comes to mind). I mean, in this episode we got:

- Awesome new villain
- Awesome animation, even better than the show's standards (stained glass sequence)
- Awesome comedy (chocolate rain, flutterbitch, etc)
- Plot twists
- More background info
- More insight into the characters
- Fluttershy beating trolligness with love and tolerance

In short: utterly awesome episode. Loved it.

Also, I called it: Scootalo bringing the end of the world. WAY TO GO GIRL HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR RAGNAROK CUTIE MARK NOW

As for episode 2 predictions, I think that Luna will pull off a deus ex machina, saving the day. Quite a good way to introduce a new character, me thinks. Not to mention the Celestia's quote "but only Luna and I got access to the elements of harmony". And they have disappeared DUN DUN DUN

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wait, the intro says it shows that they can overcome anything when they work together...

...what did Pinkie Pie contribute?

jogarrr

Ookami-kun said:
Wait, the intro says it shows that they can overcome anything when they work together...

...what did Pinkie Pie contribute?
Prevented chocolate milk levels from reaching flood levels.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
This show usually cures my bad moods but this time it didn't. The episode was a little weak, probably since it was part 1. Looking forward to the more standalone episodes.

Top Bottom