• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nano Assault |OT| A Disgusting Journey

It dips almost the entire time you play. It's still very playable, but it only holds 60 fps when you are not firing your weapon and no enemies on screen. The second you start firing, the framerate dips. It appears that particles cause performance issues at all times.

It drops constantly in all missions.

Even in 2D mode?

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Hmm has anybody else noticed that the 3d is inverted in cluster 4-cell 4, when you're chasing that crawling monster thingie?

Just started playing this and the game's locked up twice on me already.

I beat the first set of cells and got a little into the second set and decided to quit. Before I stopped I decided to give arcade mode a try and did the first cell there without losing a life (and my score is right behind AceBandage's!). But as I checked the online leaderboard, the game totally locked up, no sound, leaderboard frozen on the screen. Nothing to do but hold in the power button.

Then I went right back in to spend the two nanocoins I earned, bought a song, and as I was exiting the shop it locked up again. Froze as it was fading out, I could still see some particles on the screen very faintly.

Went back in one more time, checked the leaderboard again and it worked fine, tried the shop and it worked fine (it had saved the fact that I'd spent my coins on that song), tried the jukebox and it worked fine.

Don't know if it's update related. I had updated my 3DS the day the update hit and didn't start playing until today. My wifi switch has been on the whole time, haven't tried turning it off yet, but I thought that old issue from RR and Ghost Recon was fixed with a prior update.

I'm not going to complain a bunch and warn people off this game or anything, because it really is gorgeous and fun and the freezing hasn't affected my gameplay yet. I've experienced lockups in games before. I just hope it doesn't keep happening.

I found two people at GameFAQs talking about lockups (although one of them may have been the guy from last page). It may be related to the act of connecting online to upload scores, which then corrupts your save in general, freezing after every cell.

Guess I'll find out soon whether I have to start a new file.

EDIT: Yep, did the first cell over again and hard lock.

Son of a bitch.

I emailed Shinen about the problem. Here are the exact steps I took again to reproduce it for them:

- Began playing a new game on save file 2
- Played through Story Mode Cell-01, Cell-02, and Cell-03
- Played Arcade Mode Cell-01, received a score of 10150 and did not win the Nano Coin Challenge
- Backed out without going online and played Story Mode Cell-01 again, lock up did not occur
- Went back to Arcade Mode, without playing a cell I pressed X to view Online Ranking for Cell-01
- Continue, My Rank, immediate freeze as it showed the results

Frozen on the screen are 5 results, #32 to #36 - Vail, Tofu, MicroByte, Sporky (me), Nessie

- Turned off the system, turned it on again, launched the game
- Loaded save file 2
- Played Cell-03, when I finished the purification scene played, ship flew off, fade to black, frozen

Could anyone else who has the game try these same steps and see if you can trigger it too? You probably don't need to exit out and play a cell over again, just view the Online Ranking after beating the Arcade level.

Any other info that you can think of that would help narrow it down? My card's a US edition, and I connect to the internet via AT&T U-verse VDSL with a WPA-PSK (TKIP) encrypted password. My 3DS OS is 3.0.0-5U.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Even in 2D mode?
Yes, even in 2D mode. 2D mode doesn't even add anti-aliasing or anything, but it runs exactly the same. I'm simply surprised that Shinen actually ran into this issue as they are typically very good about nailing their performance targets and pushing hardware. Definitely suggests to me that hitting 60 fps on the 3DS is a very difficult thing to do (especially if you want to make use of its more advanced graphical features).

sfried

Game has locked up on me twice. :-(
Check your save file. You might want to start a new game and see if it still locks up.
f a superior Super Stardust (I didn't care a lot for that game), but it also brings back loving memories of that early PSone classic, the FMV-driven Novablast.
Are you talking about NovaStorm (yet another Psygnosis game), which incidentally also reminds me of Microcosm (yet again from Psygnosis).

Yeah the solution to lockups is start a new save file and never view the online leaderboards, ever.

At least as far as we know.

If you do not start a new save file you will continue to get lockups on that file indefinitely.

NateDrake

Yeah the solution to lockups is start a new save file and never view the online leaderboards, ever.

At least as far as we know.

If you do not start a new save file you will continue to get lockups on that file indefinitely.

Makes sense. It locked up the first time when viewing the online leaderboard.

Well that's why I was trying to get more information like I posted above.

I'm in the USA, where do people with lockups live, where do people without lockups live? i.e., is it related to localization/region locking? (I've heard of region locking but this is ridiculous! /groucho)

I've been connecting to an AT&T router with WPA-PSK TKIP encryption. Have others with lockups used a similar connection? Have those without lockups been on WEP or open? i.e., is it related to how you've connected to the internet when you send/receive data and lock up that first time?

Are people updated, un-updated?

I'm testing some other things on a fresh save file. The Shin'en rep said to try getting a couple high scores before going online, rather than just one for one cell and then connecting.

Can you try the steps I listed above on a second save file, just to confirm if it never happens on your cartridge?

Incidentally the person who responded is Manfred Linzner, who if I'm not mistaken was the guy who did the music for all previous Iridions and Nanostrays! Pretty cool.

Haha, that's pretty awesome, actually.
I know they're a small team, but to have your music guy answering tech calls.
What a great company.

sfried

I'm testing some other things on a fresh save file. The Shin'en rep said to try getting a couple high scores before going online, rather than just one for one cell and then connecting.

Incidentally the person who responded is Manfred Linzner, who if I'm not mistaken was the guy who did the music for all previous Iridions and Nanostrays! Pretty cool.
He also composed the music of those games!

Finally got my copy. Man, Dark10x wasn't joking! I'm in the tutorial right now, and as soon as you start firing your weapon, the game immediately suffers a massive framerate hit even though there's literally nothing else on the screen other than a molecular looking structure thingy. Kind of disappointing coming from Shin'en.

Datschge

I guess it being their first game on a new system they wanted stable a framerate and, not being able to fix 60fps in time, decided to drop to 30fps in possible critical cases instead having a variable framerate...

What a great company.

He only does everything.

sfried

Finally got my copy. Man, Dark10x wasn't joking! I'm in the tutorial right now, and as soon as you start firing your weapon, the game immediately suffers a massive framerate hit even though there's literally nothing else on the screen other than a molecular looking structure thingy. Kind of disappointing coming from Shin'en.
My theory: Early devkits. Wait until Nano Assault 2, or that Jett Rocket sequel we've been waiting for.

Celine

Gamesradar review:
http://www.gamesradar.com/nano-assault-review/

I guess it being their first game on a new system they wanted stable a framerate and, not being able to fix 60fps in time, decided to drop to 30fps in possible critical cases instead having a variable framerate...
A bit a dissapointment but I prefer stable framerate to variable.

What a great company.
I believe he is a programming guy, that just enjoyed compose music Vince DiCola style.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

He only does everything.
Uhh, it is absolutely variable. The framerate goes up and down constantly while playing.

Seems the freezing glitch rears it's ugly head once more. After starting a new file seemingly fixed the problem I went about my way trying to reclaim lost progress. Made it all the way to the 4th set of levels and during the boss fight the game froze right in the middle. Rebooted the game and the save file was fine this time but I was a bit paranoid thinking there may be something with the game itself so I exchanged it.

Since then the new copy has sat unopened. I've since seen a few others with this issue here and elsewhere. Finally ripped it open today. Tried playing up to cell 3 in Story before moving onto Arcade. Played Cell 3 in Arcade and then tried to connect to the online leaderboards as suggested at Gamefaqs to replicate the glitch and sure enough it actually froze. Now, I'm not sure why I froze in the middle of the boss fight the other day but it would seem that the online leaderboards may have something to do with the problem in general.

Recently another 3DS game has had freezing issues: Harvest Moon. Some sort of memory issue with the only known workaround last I checked is to not play the petting mini game. Further recommendations involve shutting down after playing for so long and other such annoyances.

I'm at a complete loss as to why this glitch only affects some people but not others. Until a fix is announced I guess I'll be returning it to the shelf. Not looking forward to having to start over again. Hopefully this gets sorted one of these days.

MooMoo

I emailed Shinen about the problem. Here are the exact steps I took again to reproduce it for them:

- Began playing a new game on save file 2
- Played through Story Mode Cell-01, Cell-02, and Cell-03
- Played Arcade Mode Cell-01, received a score of 10150 and did not win the Nano Coin Challenge
- Backed out without going online and played Story Mode Cell-01 again, lock up did not occur
- Went back to Arcade Mode, without playing a cell I pressed X to view Online Ranking for Cell-01
- Continue, My Rank, immediate freeze as it showed the results

Frozen on the screen are 5 results, #32 to #36 - Vail, Tofu, MicroByte, Sporky (me), Nessie

- Turned off the system, turned it on again, launched the game
- Loaded save file 2
- Played Cell-03, when I finished the purification scene played, ship flew off, fade to black, frozen

Could anyone else who has the game try these same steps and see if you can trigger it too? You probably don't need to exit out and play a cell over again, just view the Online Ranking after beating the Arcade level.

Any other info that you can think of that would help narrow it down? My card's a US edition, and I connect to the internet via AT&T U-verse VDSL with a WPA-PSK (TKIP) encrypted password. My 3DS OS is 3.0.0-5U.
Finally got around to trying this and I didn't lock up. I'm also on OS 3.0.0-5U and I use a WEP connection (blah blah blah). It really is bizarre that it's only affecting some people...such a shame =/

This is the most recent reply I got on the issue:

Hi guys,

i just wanted you to give an update to the Crash issue you experience.

We got so far three emails from people with that issue.
The issues are nearly identical.

So far it is not possible to reproduce the issue on any configuration.

Nintendos developer support got your reproduction cases for further investigation. As soon we have new infos we contact you.

Sorry again for the inconvenience
and thanks for your patience.

Manfred Linzner

Anyone else who has the problem but hasn't reported it, it might be helpful to send an email about it to info@shinen.com to help convince them it's a reasonably widespread problem.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Beat the story mode, was kinda hoping for a story though. Something simple mighta been nice. Oh well, still fun and there's still the boss rush and time attack.

Top Bottom