• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nano Assault |OT| A Disgusting Journey

The 3d in this game makes me want a Mario Galaxy game on the 3ds.

I wish I didn't suck so much at shoot em ups. Took me way to many tries to get past the first flight level.

Same, but once I started getting use to the depth, it became a lot easier.
Also, try adjusting the control settings a bit.

Teknoman

Is the 3D even better than Star Fox 64 3d? Because I had a few instances with that game where a projectile felt like it was going to hit me in the eye.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Same, but once I started getting use to the depth, it became a lot easier.
Also, try adjusting the control settings a bit.

I actually got used to it towards the end. Then we went back to the cell views. Still getting use to the 4 directional attacks. I tried changing the controls to fixed to the ships direction and unless i only intend to shoot forward, axis based firing is better.

Is the 3D even better than Star Fox 64 3d? Because I had a few instances with that game where a projectile felt like it was going to hit me in the eye.

Haven't played starfox, but I've felt like that a couple times during the flight levels.

Haven't played that game, but it's very well done in Nano Assault.
Even in the top down sections, it has a lot of great pop out that you don't see in most 3DS games.
The production value just all around is magnificent.
And I still can't get over how much the music reminds me of Metroid Prime!

I actually got used to it towards the end. Then we went back to the cell views. Still getting use to the 4 directional attacks. I tried changing the controls to fixed to the ships direction and unless i only intend to shoot forward, axis based firing is better.

The default controls for the cells are fine. But for the flight mode, I found that increasing the sensitivity helped a bit. Made me dodge faster.

watershed

Banned
I'm getting this for christmas! Was gonna buy it now but MK7 and 3D Land will keep me busy so I'd rather get it as a gift. Can't but must wait.

Galactic Fork

The default controls for the cells are fine. But for the flight mode, I found that increasing the sensitivity helped a bit. Made me dodge faster.

Huh... I thought 3 was the max and default sensitivity, didn't realize there was a 4 and 5, I'd tried 1 and 2. But my problem is more that I am not that good. I get too into shooting the enemies I get in the way of their bullets.
Shame you can't use the touch screen to control the crosshairs (kinda like controlling the wisp in Knights in the Nightmare), and move around with analog.

Galactic Fork

Wait, how do I change controls again?

during gameplay press start or select and you'll get a config menu. You can make the camera fixed or have it turn based on tilt sensing. You can also adjust sensitivity of ship movement vs crosshair movement in the flight missions. In the cell missions, you can alternate between the directions fired be based on the ships orientation (X button will always fire from the ship's nose and Y to the ship's left) or by the screen's orientation.

It was weird, last night I had a moment where the controls in the cell levels just clicked for me. Now I'm enjoying it soo much more.

wsippel

Banned
Game should be a manifest in the "How powerful the 3DS really is" thread.

Wish Nano Assault was available in Europe :-\
It's coming. Q1 2012.

I also bring you a few new, awesome screenshots:

nanostrayzk1yc.jpg

Shin'en clearly has some deal with the devil.

Just got this today and played until the point where I unlocked Arcade mode. Really awesome so far, but I want to three-star every cup in Mario Kart before I got too sucked into this.

I noticed that the challenge for the first cell in Arcade mode was "Get 30,000" points, and on the leaderboards, I don't think anyone has passed 20,000. I'm #7 currently. How are you supposed to do that?

Just got this today and played until the point where I unlocked Arcade mode. Really awesome so far, but I want to three-star every cup in Mario Kart before I got too sucked into this.

I noticed that the challenge for the first cell in Arcade mode was "Get 30,000" points, and on the leaderboards, I don't think anyone has passed 20,000. I'm #7 currently. How are you supposed to do that?

Get more lives.
When you get 100 Nano Orbs in Story Mode, you get another life.
The lives carry over through the entire game.
Lives are worth 1000 points.

MooMoo

Pretty much the predicament I'm in :p Sorry Nano Assault! At the very least, I set this game to my favorite game haha.

Celine

It's coming. Q1 2012.

I also bring you a few new, awesome screenshots:

Shin'en clearly has some deal with the devil.
As most germans do!
faust.jpg

Yay for the good news, Nanostray 2 took more than 1 year to jump the pond if memory serves me right.

Who is the publisher/distributor ?

Just got this on Wednesday from Amazon and was having a great time. Wednesday night I updated my 3DS to 3.0.0-5U and ever since the game locks my 3DS up after completing a stage. Happens without fail upon finishing a stage be it in Story or Arcade mode. In Story it freezes on a black screen after the stage ends and in Arcade it freezes on the score screen after it finishes tallying. Anyone else having issues after updating the 3DS? It totally locks the 3DS up forcing you to hold the power button for 5-10 seconds to shut down. The home button or simply pressing the power button do not work, you have to hold it.

For what it is worth, Mario Kart 7 is fine and I plan to test some other games to try to rule out the system. Figured I'd pop on here to see if maybe the update introduced some sort of incompatability with this game. If not guess my next step is replacing the game and then the system if that doesn't work.

MooMoo

I have the most recent 3DS update as well but I don't have that locking up issue =/ This might sound ridiculous, but you could maybe try blowing the 3DS cartridge slot and/or wiping the gold contacts on the actual game cartridge with a soft cloth.

Figured as much. I doubt that dirty contacts would be the cause as the game didn't leave the system before the update and as stated was working fine until after. Guess I'll have to try exchanging the game and then a call to Nintendo may be in order. Thanks for the input you two!

Thanks! And if you are the same AceBandage as on the game's leaderboards, conrats on your scores! Saw you at number 1 on at least one of the cells when the game was still working for me.

Haha, yeah. I hold the High Score for like 3 cells right now.
Need to jump into the other clusters and dominate them, though.

Fixed it! Once I ruled out the firmware update I started thinking of other possibilities when it hit me. It's locking up when it is attempting to save, perhaps the initial lock up, which just happened to occur after I updated, corrupted the save data and thus was causing it to lock up everytime it went to save.

With this in mind I started a new save file. Viola! It works fine now. Tried a few stages in Story and then in Arcade and had no issues. Backed out and loaded my first save file and sure enough it still locks up upon completing a stage. Kind of sucks having to start over but I was only about 10 or 12 stages in and the game is fun enough to replay. I just hope it doesn't happen again.

The game locking up after the update was likely just a big coincidence. Not sure what caused the initial lock up, likely a fluke of some sort but I am quite convinced that all subsequent lock ups were the direct result of that first one corrupting something. Hence why starting a new file fixed the issue.

Still...weird. Thanks again for the quick response. Being able to rule the update out allowed me to think up other causes which led me to the solution without having to deal with returning the game.

Galactic Fork

Wow, when I got Nano Assault and registered it for Club Nintendo Points, I had no idea that so few 3ds games were eligible for points. Another reason to get Nano Assault!

I emailed Shinen to ask about the European release and they replied with "The EU version is finished and will soon be announcing a release date"... hurry up!!

Kolgar

Just started playing last night, and WOW! What a great little game.

If I didn't already own a 3DS, Nano Assault would sell me on it. Everything about the game just looks and feels so right, from the gorgeous, colorful graphics to the circle-pad movement to the level and enemy design, to the fantastic soundtrack.

The 3D is really impressive here, adding a natural-looking depth that works really well.

Obviously, it reminds me of a superior Super Stardust (I didn't care a lot for that game), but it also brings back loving memories of that early PSone classic, the FMV-driven Novastorm. That was a frantic little shooter with lush, lovely graphics, and Nano Assault scratches that spectacular-shooter itch very nicely.

This is going to be the perfect game for me to play in between bouts of Mario Land and Kart!

Teknoman

I had no idea they were tying a story together from the original Nanostray.

They are right, with the Nanostray virus being the main culprit similar to the Bydo in R-Type or whatever that system was in Thunder Force?

Nano shop theme = awesome.

MooMoo

I had no idea they were tying a story together from the original Nanostray.

They are right, with the Nanostray virus being the main culprit similar to the Bydo in R-Type or whatever that system was in Thunder Force?

Nano shop theme = awesome.
The music tracks in this game are insanely good :p I think the nano shop theme is my favorite too. It almost reminds me of that track from RE1, whenever you're in the save room. It almost reminds me of some track from RE4 but I can't seem to recall it right now.

Anyways, my two main complaints with this game are:
1. The frame rate dips. I wish they could have perfected a smooth 60fps (ala Mario Kart 7) but no dice it seems. The FPS drops don't actually affect the gameplay (i.e. I've never died because of a frame drop), but the fact that they are there in the first place is a tad disappointing.
2. The "Starfox" shooting mode. They really should have added some more alternative shooting controls. Between moving and shooting things, I instinctively find myself trying to kill things rather than prioritizing my safety :p

But I find the graphics (I really love the use of 3D in this game), music (SO GOOD!), and the general atmosphere of the game to be top notch. If anyone is into shmup's or is interested in a quality 3DS game, this is definitely one to get.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Just started playing last night, and WOW! What a great little game.

If I didn't already own a 3DS, Nano Assault would sell me on it. Everything about the game just looks and feels so right, from the gorgeous, colorful graphics to the circle-pad movement to the level and enemy design, to the fantastic soundtrack.

The 3D is really impressive here, adding a natural-looking depth that works really well.

Obviously, it reminds me of a superior Super Stardust (I didn't care a lot for that game), but it also brings back loving memories of that early PSone classic, the FMV-driven Novablast. That was a frantic little shooter with lush, lovely graphics, and Nano Assault scratches that spectacular-shooter itch very nicely.

This is going to be the perfect game for me to play in between bouts of Mario Land and Kart!
Hope it's out early January in France, at the latest :-/

What the fuck? Had every intention of getting this for Christmas only to realise it's only been released in America so far.

Where the fuck is my UK release, Shin'en?

*EDIT*

Ah, Q1... too far away! I want this game now!

Celine

@MooMoo
How often does the frame rate dip?
Also is it easy to see the bullets that are coming to you in the "star fox" mode?

I only notice the FPS slip when it's loading a new set of enemies on the cells. Never on the flight missions.

And it's usually pretty easy to tell the bullets path, at least in 3D mode.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
@MooMoo
It dips almost the entire time you play. It's still very playable, but it only holds 60 fps when you are not firing your weapon and no enemies on screen. The second you start firing, the framerate dips. It appears that particles cause performance issues at all times.

I only notice the FPS slip when it's loading a new set of enemies on the cells. Never on the flight missions.

And it's usually pretty easy to tell the bullets path, at least in 3D mode.
It drops constantly in all missions.

MooMoo

@MooMoo
Also is it easy to see the bullets that are coming to you in the "star fox" mode?
dark10x pretty much nailed it. Something about shooting them bullets/a new batch of enemies causes it to drop. I think someone earlier mentioned how when the frame rate does drop, it's a straight up 60fps to 30fps change; I think this would be an accurate statement. So the gameplay is still smooth, but not as silky smooth as it could be. It has never been an issue though since it's not like the game drags to a crawl or anything.

As for the bullet paths in the 'starfox' shooting sections, it's extremely easy to judge in 3D. There were one or two bosses where I've had issue judging distance while playing in 2D. And I emphasize bosses because oddly enough, during the first few sections of the 'starfox' levels I don't have the same distance judging issues.

Edit: Also, anyone know the max amount of nanite ships you can get?
Edit Edit: Just beat the story mode. Final boss was on the easy side compared to some of the other bosses =/ Also I think considering that (slight story spoilers/end boss spoilers I guess?)
you're trying to kill the actual Nanostray virus itself, you think that after killing it you'd get a huge celebration victory or something. Ending was on the dull side =/
Oh well, on to arcade mode!

Top Bottom