• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Presents: Grounded II - The Making of The Last of Us: Part II (Trailer)

angrod14

So sad to see Neil and the rest of the team get so much hate from some trolls on the net after literally making the greatest game of all time. Luckily the critics lauded it properly and it sold well, and the true fans know how incredible the game is.

Plus, he's so hot right now ('mirin, no homo). Long live Abby bitches.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The Lets Kill Joel bit is pissing me off. Very Game Of Thrones like. Do it for the sake of shock value.

This is why i am not a big fan of behind the scenes docs. Some things are just better left unsaid. I dont want to see people debating the thought process behind creative choices especially controversial ones like neutering Joel and Jon Snow.

midnightAI

The Lets Kill Joel bit is pissing me off. Very Game Of Thrones like. Do it for the sake of shock value.

This is why i am not a big fan of behind the scenes docs. Some things are just better left unsaid. I dont want to see people debating the thought process behind creative choices especially controversial ones like neutering Joel and Jon Snow.
To be fair, I don't think there are enough flashes in it for you to enjoy it

Oh you'll be the first one to watch this.

Good to see they adressed crunching
Every single studio/industry has crunch. Itd called rushing to meet the deadline. I dont think any game was complete with days to spare because everythign was perfectly timed. Even original DOOM they werent done with the game until hours before it was announced it was going to be uploaded online. They slept in their offices to get this done except nobody was bitching about it, they were passionate about their project. Now people are entitled wimps.

You dont think Apple has crunch every year to deliver a new phone? Google to complete and test the newest app? Airlines rushing after a heavy setback/ delay.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

Kermit The Frog Smile GIF by Muppet Wiki

Bartski

Gold Member
Wow 1:19 looks like they wanna tackle "cuckmann's sjw agenda insert" head-on. The shitstorm breaking after this will be legendary.

I also remember a pre-release thread on gaf where people were upset the game is too dark and sad for covid...

Also, Grounded making of TLOU is one of the best game dev docus ever. Can't fucking wait.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service

Don't watch it then lol. Personally, as someone who has grown up around creative people making music, film, this is how it works. Some people may prefer to just not know and leave the mystery untouched because they just want to live in the work itself, but I always learn a lot about things when I see how it was made.

Hopefully its real documentary and not marketing piece disguised as documentary.

Already a dude is talking about Naughty Dog magic so expectations are low. But I enjoy such stuff so probably will watch it.

Flabagast

Hopefully its real documentary and not marketing piece disguised as documentary.

Already a dude is talking about Naughty Dog magic so expectations are low. But I enjoy such stuff so probably will watch it.
It's an inhouse production, of course it will 100% be a marketing piece, telling how hard it was, how many times the team doubted and was lost, how bold and uncertain some of the choices were, and how it somehow all came together miraculously in the end through hardship and faith. It's the same story for every single sony studio produced making-off.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
What's up with the blurred faces though? Is that people that left the studio or something?
When doing these things, everyone has to sign a model release. Which gives the studio (the documentary makers, not ND)permission to show their face online. If they don’t wanna have their face in the doc, they don’t sign, and their face is blurred out

Last edited:

TheTurboFD

I love seeing game development documentaries. Just seen one not too long ago on the making of Astroneer by NoClip and that was awesome. This is definitely a must watch for me.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The reality in many cases is crunch or delay. There's no easy solution to when things aren't where they are supposed to be.

Delays have to be avoided at all costs because there are million moving parts in publishing a big AAA title, and shifting things around is expensive and difficult. Even leaving business concerns aside it draws bad press and erodes audience patience and confidence.

I really do not understand how we reached this place where there's this great performative pearl-clutching about crunch. Especially from people who in most other cases will enthusiastically tear devs a new asshole for delivering, delayed or unpolished or unfinished work!

Vick

Gold Member
Definitely going to watch.

and the true fans know how incredible the game is.
Let's ignore all the true, documented, millions of fans who waited 7 fucking years for the game and reacted like this:

Or all the Angry Joe's of the planet, genuine simple folks who loved the first game and couldn't ignore all the glaring inconsistencies of this one. But also mainstream streamers who after praising the shit out of every Naughty Dog game prior shared this at end in front of 5 million people:

I've learned it's actually the opposite, the more you loved the first one the stronger you were impacted by the perceived downgrade and clumsy retconning of the entirety of The Last of Us.
It's mostly newcomers and people making politics their sole living purpose that happily embraced the game's crumbling narrative.

And even had the guts to make an inconsistent, all over the place character developers had no idea what to do with until the very end of production and who literally comes across as an hypocritical, mentally challenged mess in the final product, their favorite character of a franchise mainly famous for its brilliant characters. Which is absolutely histerical to witness.

But since in my opinion this game fanbase is the worst in the history of fanbases and I have no desire to be called names and have my intellect questioned by people who obviously lack even the most basic form of critical thinking and artistic sensibilities, I likely just preventively leave it at that.

I'd still call it a brave game no doubt and a masterpiece in many mostly technical ways, subject of all sort of completely misplaced criticims by trolls and warriors of all kinds.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

At this point in time, I’m still seeing comments that the game was a “safe” bet from Sony and ND.
I don't get it. Why wouldn't it be a safe bet? The sequel to any game with great reception and sales is always a safe bet, regardless of its quality. The sequel of a sequel, however is a different story.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Definitely going to watch.

Let's ignore all the true, documented, millions of fans who waited 7 fucking years for the game and reacted like this:

Or all the Angry Joe's of the planet, genuine simple folks who loved the first game and couldn't ignore all the glaring inconsistencies of this one. But also mainstream streamers who after praising the shit out of every Naughty Dog game prior shared this at end in front of 5 million people:

I've learned it's actually the opposite, the more you loved the first one the stronger you were impacted by the perceived downgrade and clumsy retconning of the entirety of The Last of Us.
It's mostly newcomers and people making politics their sole living purpose that happily embraced the game's crumbling narrative.

And even had to guts to make an inconsistent, all over the place character developers had no idea what to do with until the very end of production and who literally comes across as an hypocritical, mentally challenged mess in the final product, their favorite character of a franchise mainly famous for its brilliant characters. Which is absolutely histerical to witness.

But since in my opinion this game fanbase is the worst in the history of fanbases and I have no desire to be called names and have my intellect questioned by people who obviously lack even the most basic form of critical thinking and artistic sensibilities, I likely just preventively leave it at that.

I'd still call it a brave game no doubt and a masterpiece in many mostly technical ways, subject of all sort of completely misplaced criticims by trolls and warriors of all kinds.

Angry Joe's review was terrible.

One example is that he had a major issue with Mel being pregnant and being sent out to the frontline of combat. He criticized people for trying "to defend this" without realizing that it never happened in the story.

The game was going to be divisive no matter what.

If millions of people who played it hated the game then the game would receive a shit ton of negative reviews. PSN rating would be lower, and so would negative reviews on websites that track members who actually purchased the game.

I used to watch playthrough frequently and the majority were positive.

Its even more dumbfounding given he straight up said "no cares more about these characters than we do" and that Ellie and Joel were "the heart of it". At least he was up front about some fans of the original wouldn't like it and he was willing to accept that.

Last edited:

Embearded

Loved both games equally and i believe they are both masterpieces and ahead of their time.
Story of the second game is much more mature and presents the reality of hate and revenge as it should. Players need to take a few steps back from their favorite characters and consider Abbys' point of view too. I enjoyed switching between them and fighting each other and in the end it really touched me and it felt like a meaningful experience.

bender

What time is it?

I've never been the biggest Naughty Dog fan as the mechanics in their games feel like also rans. Mechanically, The Last of Us would fall into that category and the same can be said for the story, but what it did great was the characters and the performance turned in by Troy Baker, who I hold a grudge against for his idiotic behavior during Silent Hill HD Collection, and Ashley Johnson was wonderful and carried the experience for me and that's not even including some of the great side characters like Bill. I've seen a lot of analysis about the ending of TLOU and being ambiguous and maybe it is just me, but it never came off that way to me. Joel is lying. Ellie knows he is lying and accepts the lie. That's probably what bugged me most about the sequel. Ellie's trip to Utah and Joel tracking her down and have to implicitly spell out what happened when it already felt like Ellie knew that in the ending of the original. That's not to say that the sequel doesn't have a ton of other problems that have been laid out thousands of times before, but for me it is simple. Nothing in TLOU2 comes close to the flashback scene of Joel's museum birthday surprise for Ellie and that is again carried by the performance and chemistry of Troy and Ashley. Killing Joel is fine and his death and anyone else's should be expected in that type of fiction, but no other set of characters comes close to that connection and it wasn't for lack of trying given the size of the cast.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They already release for full making of documentary.
It's available here

Vick

Gold Member
I've never been the biggest Naughty Dog fan as the mechanics in their games feel like also rans. Mechanically, The Last of Us would fall into that category and the same can be said for the story, but what it did great was the characters and the performance turned in by Troy Baker, who I hold a grudge against for his idiotic behavior during Silent Hill HD Collection, and Ashley Johnson was wonderful and carried the experience for me and that's not even including some of the great side characters like Bill. I've seen a lot of analysis about the ending of TLOU and being ambiguous and maybe it is just me, but it never came off that way to me. Joel is lying. Ellie knows he is lying and accepts the lie. That's probably what bugged me most about the sequel. Ellie's trip to Utah and Joel tracking her down and have to implicitly spell out what happened when it already felt like Ellie knew that in the ending of the original. That's not to say that the sequel doesn't have a ton of other problems that have been laid out thousands of times before, but for me it is simple.

ytPmsW1.gif

Upon seeing Ellie's reaction to the truth in my first playthrough I legit burst out laughing loud.

What's worse it's an embarassingly bad execution of a scene even deprived of its retconning connotations, as that sudden extremely melodramatic reaction would't work in any scenario at all, she knowing he lied prior or not.

As far as:

Nothing in TLOU2 comes close to the flashback scene of Joel's museum birthday surprise for Ellie and that is again carried by the performance and chemistry of Troy and Ashley.
I disagree, as there where some things I actually found masterfully executed. Some instances include the whole Joel execution scene (which is however derivative, a tame copy of TWD Glenn's death with a little RoboCop in there), and Ellie's PTSD lamb scene in particular.

bender

What time is it?
I disagree, as there where some things I actually found masterfully executed. Some instances include the whole Joel execution scene (which is however derivative, a tame copy of TWD Glenn's death with a little RoboCop in there), and Ellie's PTSD lamb scene in particular.

I guess I was talking about relationships. None of the pairings or relationships worked for me. Even Ellie isn't Ellie anymore but that's understandable considering she's older and your aformentioned PTSD.

Top Bottom