• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

So whats up with the non-NBA Today updates during Association? There isn't any upcoming game ads or currently-playing game updates anywhere during the mode. There's even an toggle for the 2K Ticker to show "Franchise" updates on the Association's top menu but it doesn't show up anywhere.

It's a small gripe that doesn't take away my enjoyment of the game but I really liked that detail from NBA2k10.

JohngPR

Best. Wife. Evar.

2lbmctz.jpg

Glass Joe

So, I've flirted with 2K basketball games in the past and finally traded in some games to pick this up. My main question is what is the appropriate quarter length in play to simulate proper statistics (scoring / assists / rebounds, etc.?) The default of 5 mins seems too little. So like, 8, maybe? I've really only messed around with myplayer so far, but already there it seems to be a factor.

pilonv1

Glass Joe said:
So, I've flirted with 2K basketball games in the past and finally traded in some games to pick this up. My main question is what is the appropriate quarter length in play to simulate proper statistics (scoring / assists / rebounds, etc.?) The default of 5 mins seems too little. So like, 8, maybe? I've really only messed around with myplayer so far, but already there it seems to be a factor.

My Player is designed around 5 min quarters.

8 mins will usually get you some decent stats. I play 12 min quarters in my association because I like using my bench and getting proper minutes.

Shurs

I've been getting smoked by the computer on All-Star. The game is pretty different than 2K9, especially in the post.

My first game as the T-Wolves vs. The Kings, they scrub-subbed early in the 4th quarter they were killing me so bad.

My next game (I always play as the Wolves) was against the Nets, I fared a bit better, but I still lost by double digits.

I'm glad the GAF league doesn't start for a few more weeks. I'm going to need the practice.

Smokey

BigKaboom2 said:
Just played an online game on PC after running the benchmark and the player models were hideous on max settings. Framerate was decent though.

Also, wouldn't be a 2K basketball game without D'Antoni walking over and sitting inside of his assistant after a timeout. Should've grabbed a screenshot.

How's that Elite game you picked up today treatin ya?

pilonv1 said:

You can upload the whole pressbook online ? :O

Smokey

BigKaboom2 said:
You're saying the player models are fine in online PC games, or what?

Nope, I'm saying you're a troll and butthurt that your beloved game has committed suicide because the men in charge know it's trash, yet you hold onto this notion that it's a pot of gold. So you're in here on launch day trying to shit on everyone to make yourself feel better since EA took a shit on you.

Smokey said:
Nope, I'm saying you're a troll and butthurt that your beloved game has committed suicide because the men in charge know it's trash, yet you hold onto this notion that it's a pot of gold. So you're in here on launch day trying to shit on everyone to make yourself feel better since EA took a shit on you.
2yjwowg.gif

mbmonk

I loved the entire 'intro' ( everything before they dump you to a menu to choose teams ).

My first game was the Bobcats (me) vs Cleveland (CPU) went into double OT before i lost by 6.. damn it.

Loving it so far. I haven't tried any online stuff.

Oh and I really dislike 2k's menu system and UI in general. They hide lobbies. I still don't know how to start a 'quick' game online. I could only find it for offline or I think it's offline.. UI just doesn't mesh with my brain. 2K Nav stick is annoying at first. Just like it was in All Pro Football 2k8.

That is enough of a break. I am going back for more.. :lol

Amory

Really, really loving the presentation style. Little touches, like advertising "Halloween Special" games that will be coming up in the coming weeks, and the really cool player of the game highlight reels at the end of each contest, go a long way.

Gameplay feels really solid so far too, but man oh man am I getting my ass handed to me. It's gonna take some serious practice to stop turning the ball over so much, and to learn to work the ball into the paint.

So far the only effective strategy I've found (which has been unfairly effective) is to rebound the ball and push it in transition to Ray Allen for 3. Not exactly pretty basketball.

Is it still possible to sign up for the gaf ps3 online league?

Edit: Just saw that the league games are played at HoF difficulty. Nevermind, too tough for me :lol

Smokey said:
2w2g6qf.gif

I didn't even mention the other game at all...who cares? It probably won't even come out next year. I've owned every NBA 2k game since 2k5 - played 2k10 online quite a bit - and I'm just saying the player models look terrible online compared to last year while the netcode and framerate are improved.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary, or is it just that anything negative automatically triggers a meltdown for you?

benjipwns

Banned
For anyone actually going the OnLive route:
OnLive said:
NBA® 2K11™ BRAG CLIP™ HIGHLIGHT CONTEST, OCTOBER 6-12

10 Seconds of Fame. 8000 Seconds of Heart-Stopping Courtside Action.

Create your legend with the NBA 2K11 OnLive Brag Clip contest—and win two tickets to the NBA game of your choice! Be one of the first to play as his Airness or any of the NBA greats in NBA 2K11, then show the world how it’s done by making a Brag Clip™ video of your finest moments.

Grand prize winner receives two NBA tickets and an authentic Michael Jordan jersey! Read the full contest rules for all the details and entry guidelines, or email community@onlive.com with your questions.

REQUIRED ELEMENTS: Entries submitted must contain the following elements (“Required Elements”):
a player or team under your control on offense or defense;
a pass or steal; and
a slam dunk, shot on the basket, or a block.
http://www.onlive.com/legal/nba2k11_contest_rules_1

Smokey

BigKaboom2 said:
2w2g6qf.gif

I didn't even mention the other game at all...who cares? It probably won't even come out next year. I've owned every NBA 2k game since 2k5 - played 2k10 online quite a bit - and I'm just saying the player models look terrible online compared to last year while the netcode and framerate are improved.

Do you have any evidence to the contrary, or is it just that anything negative automatically triggers a meltdown for you?

I'm not melting down, I'm enjoying the game on 360 so... just callin' it like I see it. Anybody that has been following this thread knows what's up with you.

Alright, this is pretty damn good. Once you incorporate new moves into your arsenal and know how to run a few basic plays it really opens up.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Does anyone else find the My Player experience addicting? Usually I hate single player sport "campaigns" but it's nice to know that every move you do has an impact on your score

ecnal

Smokey said:
I'm not melting down, I'm enjoying the game on 360 so... just callin' it like I see it. Anybody that has been following this thread knows what's up with you.

dude's a good troll though, gotta admit that.

i'm impressed.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
DAYUMN! This is amazing.

Didn't expect to go straight into a game like that as soon as I turned on the game. :lol

mbmonk

Some mind telling me what's up with the post shooting mechanics. I turned on the shot assist graphic ( Icon telling whether you released it early, late, or on time) and this doesn't seem to show up on Post move shots. Does that mean that it doesn't take into account your release? i assume it just uses your players shot percentages? Does the same thing on most layups.

Played online and it was fine. I played in the beginner room. Won 1 lost 1 with the Wizards. Lost to the Magic and then blew out the Celtics ( guy never gave the ball to KG, don't know why ).

I am having to pull myself away from the game.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Jordan challenge won't be as easy as I thought. Scoring is a breeze but I really need to work on passing. The '91 Finals challenge is looking pretty damn intimidating right now.

charsace

Amory Blaine said:
Really, really loving the presentation style. Little touches, like advertising "Halloween Special" games that will be coming up in the coming weeks, and the really cool player of the game highlight reels at the end of each contest, go a long way.

Gameplay feels really solid so far too, but man oh man am I getting my ass handed to me. It's gonna take some serious practice to stop turning the ball over so much, and to learn to work the ball into the paint.

So far the only effective strategy I've found (which has been unfairly effective) is to rebound the ball and push it in transition to Ray Allen for 3. Not exactly pretty basketball.

Is it still possible to sign up for the gaf ps3 online league?

Edit: Just saw that the league games are played at HoF difficulty. Nevermind, too tough for me :lol
The difficulty only makes the jumpshot and shots overall harder to make.

Good thing Jordan isn't usable online because young Jordan is Wade on some great roids.

ssolitare said:
Basically just like 2k10 but not on autopilot and improved AI, nice.

The music sucks though.
It isn't like 2k11. A lot of things were removed. A lot.

RS4-

Amory Blaine said:

You can't blindly pass around like you would in previous 2k and EA games; sure, sometimes you get lucky but more often than not, your passes will get tipped or picked off.

mbmonk said:
Some mind telling me what's up with the post shooting mechanics. I turned on the shot assist graphic ( Icon telling whether you released it early, late, or on time) and this doesn't seem to show up on Post move shots. Does that mean that it doesn't take into account your release? i assume it just uses your players shot percentages? Does the same thing on most layups.

Played online and it was fine. I played in the beginner room. Won 1 lost 1 with the Wizards. Lost to the Magic and then blew out the Celtics ( guy never gave the ball to KG, don't know why ).

I am having to pull myself away from the game.

Seems like it only triggers for mid range shots and further. Maybe because the shots in the post are canned animations? Not sure.

Just did "The Shrug", no problem but Clyde had 18 for basically the last quarter and that kept me on the edge of my seat a little. Pippen and tight coverage ftw.

EDIT - and so far the soundtrack is nowhere near as good as 2K10.

pilonv1

Chamber said:
Jordan challenge won't be as easy as I thought. Scoring is a breeze but I really need to work on passing. The '91 Finals challenge is looking pretty damn intimidating right now.

Fathers Day is nearly impossible. 9 rebounds with a guard? In 8 minute quarters, with Rodman and Pippen as your team mates?

charsace

zero margin said:
Seems like it only triggers for mid range shots and further. Maybe because the shots in the post are canned animations? Not sure.

Just did "The Shrug", no problem but Clyde had 18 for basically the last quarter and that kept me on the edge of my seat a little. Pippen and tight coverage ftw.

EDIT - and so far the soundtrack is nowhere near as good as 2K10.
Fuck you son the opening song>all others.

man this game is something.
but since everyone has said all of the good about the game, I'm gonna list some thigns that are a bit off to me.

- The whole stupid spin into a dunk, thing. It's not even anything that the cpu abuses but I really hate when i do it. It just feels cheap.

- A small glitch, i think. I was the Sixers against the Piston and I notcied that Chris Wilcox face was glitched to high hell on the bench. It scared the shit outta me. When you go to edit Wilcoz his face is fine. Never tried to see if it was just that one game but fuck Chris Wilcox.

- Rubber-Band AI? Using the Wizards against the Sixers ( i have a feeling they just suck :( ) blowing them out and they slowly but surely make it a game in the second half. It was too late but still they could hit shit the first half and then they start getting steals, boards and dunks. I'm chalking it up to me fucking around but look out for that.

- Teamates watch you suffer if you do not run plays. I've turned auto-play on just to get movement but plays take too long to get started.

-Passing seems borked at bit. They have indicators where the ball will go but that works sometimes then other times you pass it into a defender on the other side of the court. Using the pass stick helps a bit. Plus you have to pass with good passers. No more Dalembert looking like Nash.

- CPU jacks up more threes than the Knicks. The Sixers shot 1/18 ( Which is realistic :( ) against me.

- CPU gets Wade in Finals call while you can get molested and no call but ironically it evens out.

This game is really good and you can't play every team the same way anymore.....now to find a way to play with My Sixers. Whoever has them in these GAF League, I feel sorry for them.

charsace

lol Jordan can do the Freethrow line dunk in traffic. This was something they had in last gen 2k for certain players on the break.

Getting to the line is easier in 2k11 than any other bball game. I got to the line 7 times in one half with MJ.

Jtrizzy

Still tweaking sliders as I always do in 2k bball games. Still feeling my way back into the series, I took a few years off. 2k5 had the jordans (shoes) unlockable too didn't it? Presentation, especially commentary is the best I've ever seen in a sports game...2k has dominated ea in that regard.

Beat the Lakers, Celts, Magic, Thunder, Hawks and Heat on HOF no problem.

Then I play the 97/98, 96/97 bulls and I get the living shit beat out of me. Jordan is unstoppable for god sakes, I can't guard him. This is fun but super frustrating aaaaaaghhhh.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
For some reason the jump shot feedback icon isn't appearing for me. It's enabled in the options, but nothing pops up when taking a shot. I've tried setting the option while in practice mode as well as on the main menu.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Big Baybee said:
Why are you going out of your way to troll this game? You are presented with a truly horrible demo/game in Elite 11, yet you defended that pile of shit to the depths. Also, I did something similar to that and was called for double dribble. 2K has shitty, inconsistent refs, just like in real life?:lol
Blackace will take care of things if needed, don't worry about it. ;P

Top Bottom