• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 |OT| The Greatest of All Time | Reviews | PS3/360 League Sign-Up

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Nabs said:
playing online is still a mess on pc. the graphics drop to low, my fps dropped to 15, and my 360 buttons went away. i hope there's a simple fix in the works. having to wait for a major patch would suck.
I agree.

what exactly is the purpose of using "True %" on the shot options screen? i had been told this would make the timing of the shot meaningless, and it would be more tied to how open you were, the player you were using, etc.

but i use this style and i shoot even worse than i do with the other way! i was shooting like 12% with the bulls through 3 quarters and then turned it back to the other way and got it up to a "respectable" high 20's or something. it feels like the shots were horribly off, but again with the description basically saying just flip the stick and you don't have to worry about timing i was thinking i wouldn't have to care.

much like communism, its a good idea in theory

Jtrizzy

RJNavarrete said:
Just picked the game up. Got it at KMart with a $25 dollar gaming coupon I had from buying Reach there, so it came out to $37 after taxes. I also got another $20 gaming coupon with the purchase. :lol Fuck yea, KMart.
Nice. I got it for $16 at kmart with move coupons. As far as the passing debate, I agree that it need ed fixing but they took it just a tad too far imo.

Yeah I really hope 2k doesn't patch the passing. It's fine the way it is. I do not want to see any more bullet passes through heads to a dude right under the basket.

ph33nix said:
Yeah I really hope 2k doesn't patch the passing. It's fine the way it is. I do not want to see any more bullet passes through heads to a dude right under the basket.

Agreed...forget that nonsense. The game is great right now.

allreal

Has anyone unlocked create a legend mode? is it exactly like my player with endorsements, press conferences, etc etc? Dying to know so I don't have to do these challenges.

smik

ok they need a shot % option for online mode because this is getting ridiculous to play multiplayer, i have to calculate the lag latency to get a shot off on the right timing which is pathetic

shit! you can forget about hitting free throws correctly online wtf! come on, seriously...

if there was a shot % option for online then i wouldn't need to worry about the release of my shot, but when your playing online and you cant hit even the easiest open jumpers ( due to very late releases) it can get really annoying.

if they cant incorporate this simple option for online then at least make it so then when i release my shot perfectly on my screen send the information off as a perfect release.

this also goes hand in hand trying to guard some1, by the time the lag reacts for me to chase the point guard its too late, im leaving the open all the time because of the latency.

jeez.

BTW im absolutely loving this game beside this really bad fundamental error.

Cloudy

Banned
Hmm, I have played online about 5 times and had ZERO issues with lag.

ps: I really love the cutting in this game. It feels so good to watch it develop and find the cutter in the lane for an easy score :D

RDreamer

Man, the shooting in this is just off the freaking wall. I've got the icon thing turned on to see if my timing is correct, and I'm still missing a ton. I even had a few times where I was completely wide open, got the timing correct, and then even the announcers said something about everyone being surprised that a shot like that could miss. What in hell am I doing wrong.

Yeah, I might just quit this game. I'm about to throw the controller through the TV. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I'm getting open shots and timing correctly, and everything, and NOTHING will fall. Layups don't fall worth a crap, and I may as well not attempt a mid range jumpshot and heaven forbid I attempt an open 3 with anyone at all. I'm playing a game right now as the bucks against the Hornets and I have a 32% field goal%, and I just can't figure out what the hell is going on.

ecnal

RDreamer said:
Man, the shooting in this is just off the freaking wall. I've got the icon thing turned on to see if my timing is correct, and I'm still missing a ton. I even had a few times where I was completely wide open, got the timing correct, and then even the announcers said something about everyone being surprised that a shot like that could miss. What in hell am I doing wrong.

Yeah, I might just quit this game. I'm about to throw the controller through the TV. I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I'm getting open shots and timing correctly, and everything, and NOTHING will fall. Layups don't fall worth a crap, and I may as well not attempt a mid range jumpshot and heaven forbid I attempt an open 3 with anyone at all. I'm playing a game right now as the bucks against the Hornets and I have a 32% field goal%, and I just can't figure out what the hell is going on.

difficulty level?

new to the series?

lower difficulty down to rookie/pro and give it a go--play to the tendencies (you can view this in the pause menu during a game) of your players.

i'd also recommend using the various practice modes to familiarize yourself with the vast number of controls.

RDreamer

ecnal said:
difficulty level?

new to the series?

lower difficulty down to rookie/pro and give it a go--play to the tendencies (you can view this in the pause menu during a game) of your players.

i'd also recommend using the various practice modes to familiarize yourself with the vast number of controls.

Yeah, I'm new to the series, and I'm playing on pro. I may have to lower it to rookie, I guess. I have done a few of the practice modes, and I can pull things off pretty well in those, and can hit shots really well there. It's just during the game that I struggle.

smik said:
ok they need a shot % option for online mode because this is getting ridiculous to play multiplayer, i have to calculate the lag latency to get a shot off on the right timing which is pathetic

shit! you can forget about hitting free throws correctly online wtf! come on, seriously...

if there was a shot % option for online then i wouldn't need to worry about the release of my shot, but when your playing online and you cant hit even the easiest open jumpers ( due to very late releases) it can get really annoying.

if they cant incorporate this simple option for online then at least make it so then when i release my shot perfectly on my screen send the information off as a perfect release.

this also goes hand in hand trying to guard some1, by the time the lag reacts for me to chase the point guard its too late, im leaving the open all the time because of the latency.

jeez.

I tried explaining this to Our Dear Leader Smokey and he doesn't seem to understand.

----although I do shoot better with shot stick timing for whatever reason so I can't complain

I haven't really had much of an issue with the shooting yet. I think ranked is simulation and guys tend to be laggier on there. I played Smokey with sim settings a few times and nobody hit shots with regularity.

I was one of the first guys on here with my battle armor ready to go and my flag waving in there for to bring the charge back against 2k for the online bullshit we had for maybe a day or so but I've since backed off. Games with gaffers have been lag free and with the default settings (simulation = suitable for offline only) on it's felt really good.

Has anyone managed to get a great grasp of the PF position in this game yet online? I've admittedly only played two gaffers thus far but I haven't seen any PF's really go wild in this game yet. I think it has more to do with the better rotations, the better defense of the pick and roll and the inability to easily create scoring opportunities off of the triple threat position unlike in other games.

mik

mik is unbeatable
smik said:
Too true. Played a few games teamed up with friends last night against the CPU. One of those friends was in NZ and, while the game seemed to be playing perfectly smooth, making a shot required us to basically release the stick as soon as the shot animation began. Seems like they should be handling the latency in a more transparent way.

charsace

But when I cross some of you guys over and turn you sideways and then step back and hit the 3, blowing your brains out of your head in the process, I want you all to know it was all me. With shot percentage on you would try to rationalize what you're seeing and say I was lucky.

RDreamer said:

let's play today. if anything, at least i can observe what you are doing wrong assuming if you're timing is spot on.

Mrbob

RJNavarrete said:
Just finished The Arrival. I swear Ainge got faster as soon as I hit 61 points :lol :lol :lol

Oh man I think the defense ratchets up considerably in the second half. I was tearing the Celtics apart in the first half and had 37 points at halftime, smooth sailing. Then in the 2nd half I was getting double and triple teamed and getting put on lock down it was crazy! I only ended up with 57 points! Going to try it again later tonight.

RDreamer

viakado said:
let's play today. if anything, at least i can observe what you are doing wrong assuming if you're timing is spot on.

I doubt my timing is always spot on or even spot on a lot, since I'm new to 2k, but they really need to notify me better on what the fuck I'm doing wrong. I'm doing a lot better in this game I'm playing now, but I'm still getting a lot of green symbols up top indicating I timed it right, wide open shots that don't fall. Then the announcers rub it in saying that's the kind of shot you want and how could he miss that sort of thing. What am I supposed to think when that happens?

Christ, it just happened again. I had a beautiful pick and open shot for salmons at the free throw line, thing on top was green when I released, and it missed. Then the announcers said something about how amazing the pick was and how open he was.

Shurs

So if we're playing at Superstar difficulty in the GAF 360 League, should I be playing against the computer at that level?

DCX

DCX
Shurs said:
So if we're playing at Superstar difficulty in the GAF 360 League, should I be playing against the computer at that level?
always play a level above. That's my rule.

DCX

ecnal

charsace said:
But when I cross some of you guys over and turn you sideways and then step back and hit the 3, blowing your brains out of your head in the process, I want you all to know it was all me. With shot percentage on you would try to rationalize what you're seeing and say I was lucky.

:lol

that's literally never happened, nor will it ever.

RDreamer

Man, my TV's lucky it doesn't have a controller through it. I just lost to the Timberwolves because I missed 4 very much open shots in a row, all timed just fine according to the stupid thing on the screen, and threw a ball away because my guy didn't pass to the fucker with the circle under him for some reason.

well, im playing as the bulls in my single player association mode and here's what has happened:

game 1 vs. thunder: got my fucking ass kicked. i held them to something like 42% shooting, but i shot about 25%. this is with sliders set to "simulation". i could not hit anything

game 2 vs. pistons: complete difference. i shot about 45% and won the game. although, i still wasn't getting a lot of outside shots to drop, my % was up because i abused the shit out of the pistons with rose and they didn't rotate like the thunder did

game 3 vs. blazers: i quit after going down 15-2 :lol

still need more practice i guess :(

The M.O.B

Woot!. My Player got traded from the crappy Nets to a starting position on the Lakers, I took Artests spot :D

I had almost forgot what it felt like to win, my old team was on a 6 game losing streak :lol

charsace

ecnal said:

that's literally never happened, nor will it ever.
Probably not to you(yet), but I did it last year with Melo and Billups to other people in the league with the shitty back + Y sped up step back and it worked. With this year's smooth as fuck step backs I will catch you too.

RDreamer

I really wish there was a setting between curbstomping the opponent (rookie) and throwing my controller at the screen (pro).

Nabs

pro is really not tough at all. just give it another game or so.

and dude, if you're missing open shots, try driving to the hoop a bit more.

RDreamer

Nabs said:
pro is really not tough at all. just give it another game or so.

and dude, if you're missing open shots, try driving to the hoop a bit more.

Inside shots rattle out, too, and there's no shot icon for that so I really can't tell what's going on there whether I'm timing it wrong or what.

RDreamer said:
I really wish there was a setting between curbstomping the opponent (rookie) and throwing my controller at the screen (pro).
i recommend you start playing with league players, we usually play superstar/9mins/simulation slider(tweaked).
that will, above anything else, help you get acclimated to league play.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
FrenchMovieTheme said:
well, im playing as the bulls in my single player association mode and here's what has happened:

game 1 vs. thunder: got my fucking ass kicked. i held them to something like 42% shooting, but i shot about 25%. this is with sliders set to "simulation". i could not hit anything

game 2 vs. pistons: complete difference. i shot about 45% and won the game. although, i still wasn't getting a lot of outside shots to drop, my % was up because i abused the shit out of the pistons with rose and they didn't rotate like the thunder did

game 3 vs. blazers: i quit after going down 15-2 :lol

still need more practice i guess :(

I have found that there are still quite a bit of slider tweaks needed to be made within the "simulation" setting.
I'm playing 10 minute quarters, shooting mid 40% and having really competitive games.

I think I have a winning record right now. Maybe 7 and 5 or something like that. I have only lost to great teams but I have had trouble with crappy teams too. Can't sleep on anyone in this game.
I suggest changing the "Run Plays" slider in coaching settings up a bit. At least to the 3/4 point and then run plays when you need to get control of the pace.

If anyone wants to know what my sliders are I could list them. They are probably a good start.

charsace

Anyone that is having trouble passing should learn to use icon passing and stick passing, especially for pick and roll. The stick allows you to lead passes and throw them over the top of the defense.

Edit: PC getting mods already. Kobe's face has been fixed on PC.

liger05

Won my 3rd game 88 - 85 Golden State. Was never behind and always felt in control but near the end was missing 3 throws after the delibrate fouls. Got my firts alley ooop and there was great moment where the State were 5 behind in the last minute and currey just nailed an awesome 3 points after finding space. It just looked like it was from TV. Was awesome!! The last NBA game I really played extensivly was NBA2K1 on the Dreamcast. Man it's great to be back.

Smokey

smik said:

jeez.

I have no problem hitting shots online, and there's nothing wrong with FTs online either feels like offline to me.

Practice mode.

ph33nix said:
I tried explaining this to Our Dear Leader Smokey and he doesn't seem to understand.

----although I do shoot better with shot stick timing for whatever reason so I can't complain

I get what you're saying, but it doesn't belong in a competitive league IMO. You're essentially removing a key human factor, and placing it in the CPUs hands. Wide open for a 3? Oh I'll let the CPU decide if this will go in or not, not me. I think real % is fine for Association and other SP modes...but not multiplayer.

charsace said:
Probably not to you(yet), but I did it last year with Melo and Billups to other people in the league with the shitty back + Y sped up step back and it worked. With this year's smooth as fuck step backs I will catch you too.

Loving the Jordan Challenges too. I'm going in order and I'm on the 4th one (Bad Boy Pistons). Haven't had too much trouble yet. I'll say going from the JC's back to your regular squad is difficult at first because you realize that your guys aren't the god of basketball:lol

RDreamer said:

2K is not noob friendly. Stick with it man, it'll click eventually. If you're having that much trouble, go in and adjust the game sliders to your liking.

RDreamer said:

Pro gave me shit too for a few days but now I just do basically everything better. Smarter passes, shoot with open people and not someone in your face, use icons, run plays when teams try to make a run on me and lastly but maybe most important, use the new defensive scheme stuff.

What quarter length are you guys playing in the association?

I want to play with long enough quarters to get realistic stats for my team when I play their games but I think 12 minute quarters would produce too high a stat output.

Thx in advance.

NameIess

Working on the Jordan challenges and the first four did not give me much trouble, but the Lakers series is kicking my ass...

I refuse to adjust any settings I want to complete the Jordan challenges straight up.

JoeBroni

Neo Member
NameIess said:
Working on the Jordan challenges and the first four did not give me much trouble, but the Lakers series is kicking my ass...

I refuse to adjust any settings I want to complete the Jordan challenges straight up.

I loved the one against Atlanta. To whomever at 2K decided it would be worth it to capture Dominique's signature dunks: You were correct.

NameIess said:

I saw the average 11+ assists thing and cringed a bit :lol

RDreamer

Anyone else get terrible audio feedback when playing online on the PS3 version? I was playing with my friend tonight and the chat stuff was fine in the lobby, but the second it transitioned into the actual game it would make terrible electronic remix sounding stuff almost the whole time. It popped out of that for a few minutes total of the game, randomly, but for the most part it was horrible. And we were both hearing it.

Top Bottom