• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K14 PS4 |OT| ... I said gahhhhhh dammmmmnnnnn

Ok so I just uploaded a video of what might be the biggest concentration of BS I've seen in 2K14 so far. Luckily, PS4's share function managed to work this time and record this incredible bullshit for others to see.
http://youtu.be/aZjh9-NJinQ

Last 2 min of a game against the Cavs. I'm up three, get a wiiide open Wade to shoot an A+ three in the corner that misses. Get the ball back, shoot an A- three with Chalmers that doesn't even come close. Cleveland makes some plays and after some intentional fouls, I'm down 2. Get a good look at LeBron running to the basket, pass it, he does the patented 2K stutter that breaks his momentum, loses the ball, commence pause to curse for a few minutes.

I was close to turning the game off, but decided fuck it, lets see if I can pull some BS. After another intentional foul, I'm down 4 with 9 seconds left. Make a football pass to LeBron, drain a C three pointer. Down 1, 6 seconds left, get a BS steal on the inbound, shoot a last second C shot, drain it again. I win.

And before you say it, I know I know, not every A+ shot will go in and not every C shot will miss, but you can't deny the BS timing of the way these went down. I had no right to win that game. The only reason I feel good about it is it felt like karma after screwing me multiple times. It's a shame this game is so buggy and cheap sometimes because the actual gameplay feels so good. I really hope there's a big overhaul for 2K15.

LOL!!! it's stuff like this that make people rage.... This game is gonna push somebody over the edge I tell you LOL!!!

demolitio

I really wish they'd fix their fucking servers. So tired of being sold on these next-gen experiences just to have servers worse than most games in the past.

Last night, my friend and I tried to play one just to find out the game defaulted us back to the original launch rosters which puzzled us so we knew something was wrong and then all of a sudden, it tells me my friend left the game. I ask him if he's remaking and he said it told him that I left the game...The other night, we couldn't even join the locker room with the "2K service is unavailable" message yet we could go start a franchise and play a game together that way. Other days, it's perfectly fine and pretty damn smooth.

Of course, this is just talking about servers...We all know the actual gameplay problems right now.

So my second season is coming to an end.

Is the only way to change teams by trade? No free agency right?

Also I asked to get traded from the Detroit Pistons, and I got traded to the Pistons. I was like WTF man.?

If they released 2k15 and on the box said "We did absolutely nothing with the gameplay and animations, BUT we have fixed online play and you now have actual functioning leagues with options for commissioners" then I would be totally happy

instead? we getting "300+ new animations!"

and that's it

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
If they released 2k15 and on the box said "We did absolutely nothing with the gameplay and animations, BUT we have fixed online play and you now have actual functioning leagues with options for commissioners" then I would be totally happy

instead? we getting "300+ new animations!"

and that's it

Executive Produced by Kendrick Lamar featuring Jordan

Damn. I traded this in after giving it shot after shot and just realizing it's a fucking F2P game wrapped in a $60 skin with enough bugs to be its own ecosystem.

I figured this was always near the top of my subscriptions on GAF so I decided to take a peek and see if they may have fixed some of the issues. Guess not ...

mbmonk

Is it a NBA rule or a bug with the game, the fact that you can't substitute for the foul shooter after he makes the 2nd free throw? I am assuming it's a bug, since we are talking about 2K here.

I really dislike the PnR plays in the xbox one version. 2K13 had much better PR plays in my opinion. Not to mention I could call plays to get my SG in the post.

The love, hate relationship I have with this game :p

Quick

Banned
MyCareer is my new addiction. That's how you do single player, story-driven game modes in sports games. The old Superstar mode in Madden 06/07/08 were always my favourite, but this takes over that.

I appreciate the idea of Real Voices (players and coaches interviewed during games), but it looks really unpolished. I'm sure it'll improve over the next few years, though.

lil smoke

Banned
Pretty sure FA happens after the 3rd or 4th season

But I never made it that far because FUCK 2K
LOL yeah.

I know that they will not initially put you on the team you want.

But WHY? It's my game, what benefit does 2K get from forcing me onto a random team? Why do some of these companies do this evil crap? NO YOU WILL PLAY FOR TIMBERWOLVES HARHAR. NO FUN FOR YOU.

The stupid part is that I will probably buy 2K16. I'm an idiot.

LOL yeah.

I know that they will not initially put you on the team you want.

But WHY? It's my game, what benefit does 2K get from forcing me onto a random team? Why do some of these companies do this evil crap? NO YOU WILL PLAY FOR TIMBERWOLVES HARHAR. NO FUN FOR YOU.

The stupid part is that I will probably buy 2K16. I'm an idiot.

You mean 2k15 right? :p

I will buy it too. But definitely not day 1, or at full price.

And I am totally fine with being drafted to a random team, that's part of the fun...and I get that they want you on a realistic rookie contract. But meh, I'd like to hit free agency sooner.

Part of the reason I also sold it, was because I found the Park to be fun, but a huge waste of time. 50% of the time you are waiting for a game and even if you want, chances are it might not start or the game you enter might get nuked by a server disconnect.

Lexxism

But your player is restricted free agent right? I doubt the your player will be able to test the FA on his 3rd or 4th year.

if I'm correct

Is it a NBA rule or a bug with the game, the fact that you can't substitute for the foul shooter after he makes the 2nd free throw? I am assuming it's a bug, since we are talking about 2K here.

I really dislike the PnR plays in the xbox one version. 2K13 had much better PR plays in my opinion. Not to mention I could call plays to get my SG in the post.

The love, hate relationship I have with this game :p

Tell me about it. LOL!!! it's just something they probably didn't add as it probably will break the game somehow. Until they get actual competition in the gameplay front (C'mon EA get yo shizz together man) We won't get the servers nor the online leagues we are asking for. To them there is no reason to do it. They're gonna make their money no matter what.

But your player is restricted free agent right? I doubt the your player will be able to test the FA on his 3rd or 4th year.

if I'm correct

Technically he should be a RFA but not in the game, I'm pretty sure

It used to be FA after one year, then two, then three, now four I think...

lil smoke

Banned
You mean 2k15 right? :p

I will buy it too. But definitely not day 1, or at full price.

And I am totally fine with being drafted to a random team, that's part of the fun...and I get that they want you on a realistic rookie contract. But meh, I'd like to hit free agency sooner.

Part of the reason I also sold it, was because I found the Park to be fun, but a huge waste of time. 50% of the time you are waiting for a game and even if you want, chances are it might not start or the game you enter might get nuked by a server disconnect.
LOL yeah 15, I work in fashion and think a year ahead.

I like random, sure, but cmon man, peeps wanna play a "game", let em live their fantasy, let em be on Lebrons team and take his starting role as a rook. These days a lot of these games are trying too hard to be real, and they forget we were looking for fantasy and dumb fun.

I wish I could find the motivation to restart MyPlayer from scratch. I've been hit with the MyPlayer crash-to-dashboard issue for a couple of months now with no patch in sight. And probably no patch in the future since it seems they've shifted resources to 2k15. So I'm basically hosed. Feel cheated out of $60.

I was traded from the Pistons to the Pistons.

Just finishing my second year. I have to get out of Detroit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lmao are you serious

I was a Sacramento King, but I never wanted to leave---my GM managed to surround me with literally everybody I could ever want

PG: Jose Calderon
SG: JJ Redick
SF: MICHAEL FUCKING BEASLEY
PF: Me
C: DeMarcus

We fucking wrecked shit.

Lexxism

lmao are you serious

I was a Sacramento King, but I never wanted to leave---my GM managed to surround me with literally everybody I could ever want

PG: Jose Calderon
SG: JJ Redick
SF: MICHAEL FUCKING BEASLEY
PF: Me
C: DeMarcus

We fucking wrecked shit.

I still remember when I first time played this game as a PG of Kings. They traded almost everybody with Cousin being the only left in the Kings 2013-2014 roster lol

Then, I played for my 2nd save as a SF of Wolves and they didn't even trade anyone from the roster. The roster were pretty nice since they were a balance of players.

mbmonk

Tell me about it. LOL!!! it's just something they probably didn't add as it probably will break the game somehow. Until they get actual competition in the gameplay front (C'mon EA get yo shizz together man) We won't get the servers nor the online leagues we are asking for. To them there is no reason to do it. They're gonna make their money no matter what.

Yea. Subbing for the FT shooter, something so basic, I figured would get patched months after release. Not 2K though =P.

You are right. I hope EA can put something together with their basketball franchise. 2K has a culture that seems to think that bugs don't matter and continually failing to deliver what they advertise to gamers isn't a problem for their business model. I can't wait for 2K to be the 2nd dog in the race. It's going to be sooo much fun seeing the attitude change over there.

The problem is I know I am in a bad position when EA is my shining knight. :)

gosh i haven't played an nba 2k game since 2k10, or any basketball game for that matter. wasn't impressed with 2k as the series progressed, and it sucks that there are no other alternatives. hearing all these issues and all these micro transactions crap abd ads embedded in the game, i'm not sure i want nba 2k15 this year.

lil smoke

Banned
I was traded from the Pistons to the Pistons.

Just finishing my second year. I have to get out of Detroit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is genuinely funny as shit. Got Damn this game.

gosh i haven't played an nba 2k game since 2k10, or any basketball game for that matter. wasn't impressed with 2k as the series progressed, and it sucks that there are no other alternatives. hearing all these issues and all these micro transactions crap abd ads embedded in the game, i'm not sure i want nba 2k15 this year.
The funny thing is that (and I dunno about y'all) but 2K was supposedly better than Live when it first came out and all my boys pretty much forced me into it, and I had to learn the weird controls, it ALWAYS felt off. I felt like I had way better control over my crossovers, my dribbling dynamics, there was no fuss or confusion over shooting, shot stick? wtf. Then Live started copying the 2K crap and then you had 2 shit games in a cycle jerk.

It DOES suck that there isn't ONE individual with some money who cares about video games and sports. Shit, let me win the lottery, I could design some REAL sports games for adults.

The funny thing is that (and I dunno about y'all) but 2K was supposedly better than Live when it first came out and all my boys pretty much forced me into it, and I had to learn the weird controls, it ALWAYS felt off. I felt like I had way better control over my crossovers, my dribbling dynamics, there was no fuss or confusion over shooting, shot stick? wtf. Then Live started copying the 2K crap and then you had 2 shit games in a cycle jerk.

It DOES suck that there isn't ONE individual with some money who cares about video games and sports. Shit, let me win the lottery, I could design some REAL sports games for adults.

The whole licensing aspect has killed sports gaming in general. Look at what's happened to Madden..... If only EA could make a good game. Then we would really see something we could all enjoy from 2K

You know what the crazy thing is? I lost all team chemistry, they legit treated me like a stranger. Even my Min were down. The GM was a different guy.

It was crazy! I was pissed. How can you be traded to the same team?

Double D

Out of all the shit I've encountered in this game one of the things that irks me the most is the shoe economy and choosing a brand. I want to wear all kinds of shit. I went with Jordan brand but would be nice to be able to wear some other kicks every once in a while. And the price of shoes before you get signed is ludicrous. Also coupled with the fact that you have to rebuy shoes if you design your own.

Anyways, I'm in the Finals of my second season and I'm pretty much a dominant force. Nearly everything is maxed out that I care to max out, and I'm just kind of going through the motions. Next season I guess I'll bump up the difficulty.

mbmonk

Online on Xbone is typical 2K. Lagfest tonight (Friday Night, East Coast). It's insanely frustrating. It's a shame they didn't use MS Azure servers.

EDIT: So I found out that the reason my games were lagging was because a device on my network was using all my upload bandwidth. So I stopped that and I played a game and it was great. I decided to comeback and edit the post to show it was my fault. Then after that one game the 2k servers went down. So it turned out being crappy 2k servers after all.

Online on Xbone is typical 2K. Lagfest tonight (Friday Night, East Coast). It's insanely frustrating. It's a shame they didn't use MS Azure servers.

EDIT: So I found out that the reason my games were lagging was because a device on my network was using all my upload bandwidth. So I stopped that and I played a game and it was great. I decided to comeback and edit the post to show it was my fault. Then after that one game the 2k servers went down. So it turned out being crappy 2k servers after all.

Typical story of the history of 2k sports games. Servers don't hold up, but hold up just enough to keep us interested until next years game comes around and the cycle repeats itself all over again.

NBA 2k online is filled with some awful people. Last night my opponent and I were selecting teams, he settled on the hawks so I went with the Bobcats since they're similarly rated. As soon as I readied up he switched to the heat and started the game. I feel like this happens to me constantly with opponents switching at the last second to either the Heat or Thunder.

mbmonk

Online I face a 3-2 zone about 85% of the time. Any tips? I tend to use A) 3 out, high post, low post set B) 3pt play that has 5 out in order to get a shot in the corners, or C) a pick n roll. Any tips on how others attack the 3-2 zone?

It's a little frustrating that I can't find any zone busting plays in the next gen version. I felt like 2k13 had some plays explicitly for zone busting and also had a much greater variety of plays and ways to attack against the zone. Not being able to edit the playbooks online is a big issue as well.

Right now in order to get an effective zone offense I am having to manually cut players to positions to create gaps in the zone or to move into gaps in the zone.

Typical story of the history of 2k sports games. Servers don't hold up, but hold up just enough to keep us interested until next years game comes around and the cycle repeats itself all over again.

That is a really good point :). That is the cycle.

I am hoping they will utilize Azure for Xbone, but I admit it's an irrational fantasy.

NBA 2k online is filled with some awful people. Last night my opponent and I were selecting teams, he settled on the hawks so I went with the Bobcats since they're similarly rated. As soon as I readied up he switched to the heat and started the game. I feel like this happens to me constantly with opponents switching at the last second to either the Heat or Thunder.

I play exclusively the Bobcats and 75% of my games are the Heat or the Thunder. So your experience is very similar to mine.

VoxPop

Umm so I'm trying to play a MyGM mode with custom rosters but it won't let me use them?

I created a custom roster and uploaded it to the servers but when I download it, it's just the default rosters. I can use other people's custom rosters though. Anyone know of a solution?

nvm im an idiot

Double D

Anyone else have slow motion games? Just played a MyCareer game and it was like 1/4 speed.

edit: restarted my PS4 and played a quick game. It as running at like double speed. What the hell is going on? Only thing I can think of is I installed the 1.70 update right before playing the game.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2014/05/0...kerr-on-the-nba-2k-commentary-team#more-88216

Commentary is one area that 2K Sports has excelled at so any shift won’t prompt concern but it’s interesting to examine who could replace him. The top candidates to replace Kerr would be TNT’s Chris Webber and Reggie Miller. I’ve been publicly calling for Webber to be included in a video game for over two years now. He has the voice and demeanor for it and certainly is regarded much more highly than Miller in the analyst spot. There’s also Mike Fratello, Greg Anthony, and any number of local color commentators the company could choose to turn to.
The only choice here is Chris Webber.

If Reggie Miller is in the game it's guaranteed to be muted from day 1.

I actually don't think Van Gundy would be as good in a video game. I think a lot of what makes his commentary great on TV is his random mini rants and the really random stuff they'll talk about sometimes

That's a good point, chances are it'd end up like Madden with the same repeated rants from Chris Collinsworth.

Uhhh

I can't seem to access front office stuff in MyGm mode.......did they change something or am I just forgetting how to get to that menu =/

Uhhh

I can't seem to access front office stuff in MyGm mode.......did they change something or am I just forgetting how to get to that menu =/

Oh, I see what I did......the 2 menus before you start are 2 different modes and not overall customization options =/

It'll probably be Reggie. Just get rid of Clark Kellogg for crying out loud. Is he in there to fulfill some contract they had from the NCAA games or something? He is so out of place.

I don't know shit about basket-ball (the only players I know are Michael Jordan, Tony Parker and Joakim Noah) but I've heard NBA 2K14 was a good game and I'm buying a PS4 today

Is it worth a purchase?

I don't know shit about basket-ball (the only players I know are Michael Jordan, Tony Parker and Joakim Noah) but I've heard NBA 2K14 was a good game and I'm buying a PS4 today

Is it worth a purchase?

Not at full price. It's a great game engine, but the game modes will eventually let you down with bugs. I traded mine in after my second myplayer save crashed in a known-bad way, and there are no fixes on the way from 2k since they're working on the next version now.

If you do end up getting it, just get a used copy. No need to reward 2k for doing a shit job.

mbmonk

Not at full price. It's a great game engine, but the game modes will eventually let you down with bugs. I traded mine in after my second myplayer save crashed in a known-bad way, and there are no fixes on the way from 2k since they're working on the next version now.

If you do end up getting it, just get a used copy. No need to reward 2k for doing a shit job.

Agreed. Get it used if you decide to pick it up. Game has major issues still. 2K has moved on to the next game so I don't imagine they will really fix up the next gen version of 2k14.

Do y'all think they will actually keep the servers for 2k14 up this time? Or will it be like all the other games and they shut them down as soon as the new game comes out?

Top Bottom