• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Finals 2017 |OT| Same As It Ever Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tall4Life

How lucky that the TWolves took two other guards before Curry. How once in a lifetime.

How lucky Draymond Green slipped to the back half of the second round cause people thought he's a role player on his best day, what a series of divine providence.

Man the sheer insanity that Klay Thompson slipped out of the top-10.

Man, fuck them for all that nonsense luck.

Yeah, draft one fucking incredible player and it can be argued that you either lucked into it or were "forced" into it (Cleveland drafting LeBron is the prime example of this). Draft two? Ok, maybe you got really lucky. THREE? No, you are drafting well. You don't just by luck draft three franchise changing stars within a couple of years between each other.

cordy

Banned
Warriors ain't gonna make the same mistake as last year.

But man, I can only imagine what's going on in Bron's head right now. Shit is crazy.

BadAss2961

also I'm just gonna say because bron is gonna get raked over the coals for it

I'm not mad at that pass to korver. korver was playing pretty well, had a decently good look even though it missed badly, and I don't think bron needs to get tunnel vision at the end of games and abandon why he's a great player.
The Korver pass was the right move, he was open. But the thing about Bron is he often goes into turtle mode altogether in intense situations like this. Starts playing like he's a pass only PG with limited offensive game -- like he's Rondo or something.

Down the stretch it was all kickouts, letting Kyrie ISO, and fumbling the ball to seal the deal. I've seen this story more times with LeBron than times he's been clutch.
I will say what I said on twitter. If Lebron, at the peak of his career, gets sweeped in these finals, the jordan comparisons need to stop.
Should've been over when Dirk stomped him out.

Natiko

Banned
There is nothing boring about watching Warriors kick ass.
It's like watching a movie you know the ending of. There's very little tension. No one was sitting around watching this game thinking "Yeah, now the Cavs are going to make this a real series!" Instead, the only thing to be thought was "Well, maybe they'll manage to avoid the sweep?"

Wedzi

Banned
I will say what I said on twitter. If Lebron, at the peak of his career, gets sweeped in these finals, the jordan comparisons need to stop.

We're going to be hearing Lebron Jordan comparisons for the rest of Lebron's career as he climbs various all time stat leader boards. There's a somewhat decent chance he might actually pass Karem for all time points and then things will really heat up. It's inevitable.

Plus getting swept by the greatest basketball team I've ever seen outside of the Olympics isn't the worst thing for one's career.

The Korver pass was the right move, he was open. But the thing about Bron is he often goes into turtle mode altogether in intense situations like this. Starts playing like he's a pass only PG with limited offensive game -- like he's Rondo or something.

Down the stretch it was all kickouts, letting Kyrie ISO, and fumbling the ball to seal the deal. I've seen this story more times with LeBron than times he's been clutch.
Should've been over when Dirk stomped him out.

Nobody in the league has more playoff game winning shots than LeBron since he's entered it.

mjp2417

Banned
Did Jordan ever play against a team with 4 likely HoF? In their primes?

I get what you mean, but shit man
MJ is the best basketball player I've ever seen. Having said that, he won when he had the better roster than his opponent. He lost when his opponent had the better roster than him. This is why the LeBron mysticism following the Durant signing was never particularly compelling. You can't "will your team to victory" when the other guys are simply better than you. That's not how basketball works.

And?

Are they to blame for that?

Oh no, circumstance happened at the right moment for an event to happen! Like every. Fucking. Thing. Else. In life or sports.

I am not blaming them for anything. If am KD or the GSW GM I do the same thing.

I just don't think a team as stacked is good for the sport in the long run. Long term domination by one team is never good for a sport, seen it multiple times as an F1 fan.

The salary cap was built to prevent such an event and it failed (and it was because the players got greedy).

Lebron should jump ship to the Bucks.

A Lebron/Giannis front court would be so weird.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
It's like watching a movie you know the ending of. There's very little tension. No one was sitting around watching this game thinking "Yeah, now the Cavs are going to make this a real series!" Instead, the only thing to be thought was "Well, maybe they'll manage to avoid the sweep?"

Well superhero movies are popular and you know exactly how those end.

Tall4Life

LeBron had already fucked up that drive. He could've gone in for the lay up before he went to that side. When he went to that side, he had to give it to Korver. Korver just failed to deliver.

pretty sure the Celtics started the latest bout of super teams three entire years before him. don't let that fluke-ass KG injury in 2008-09 trick you

Big difference is the Celtics FO formed that team through trades. Lebron is the one who kick-started this current trend of Superstar FOs ring chasing.

That said, personally I don't have a problem with it. Front Offices are ready and willing to discard a player as soon as they feel they're no use in their future vision, so I have no problems with players looking out for themselves. I just don't feel sorry for Lebron in this situation now that he's finding himself on the other side of the fence.

yeah, but how much of that is the fact (in a vacuum) that one player means a lot more to an NBA team vs owners not being punished beyond "luxury tax" for building like they're the Weasleys and their team's the Burrow?

like, the NBA's always gonna have less parity than the other leagues, i get that, but i wonder if the degree to which that's true would change if the CBA wasn't some fuck shit

Big difference is the Celtics FO formed that team through trades. Lebron is the one who kick-started this current trend of Superstar FOs ring chasing.

fair point (and i ain't even gonna try arguing semantics wrt the Heatles being formed by sign-and-trades)

Kd created a super team? He joined one. You seem really confused about the difference between the heat and all time wins record champion without kd warriors.

You seemed really confused about my position and how I don't give a shit how or why a super team is formed (when a key reason it happens is because a superstar bolts because he failed at getting it done in his original city).

I'm not giving LeBron a pass cause he FORMED one vs. KD JOINING one. The end goal was the same for both:

An easier route to chipping.

Wedzi

Banned
Barkley just called Klay the best 2 guard in the NBA.

He called him the best 2 guard during his predictions before the finals too. Actually I think he's been calling him the best 2 guard in the NBA for awhile now.

I'd probably call him the best 2 guard as well since Harden now plays point and Butler moved to SF full time lol

neptunes

Stop assuming the warriors will dominate for the next 5 years.

Other teams (and players) can also make that same leap they made a few years ago.

lucius

Warriors could have beat Lebron with the same team as last year, it now seems like they were scared to play him with that team, even though they would have been the clear favorite to win it all even without Durant. NBA looks silly now, easy path for Warriors to steam roll teams for next several years, what a snooze fest.

Other teams (and players) can also make that same leap they made a few years ago.

People forget that the Warriors were just a good/okay team that could shoot anybody out of the court but couldn't play dick for defense until Kerr got there and changed the whole thing, and Curry turned into a god who can play passable D.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Make the jump and then sign an MVP in his prime. Barring injuries or people leaving, this is it for the next 4-5 years.

Warriors could afford to sign Durant as a direct result of building "the right way" and drafting so well. I don't see the issue.

KD's attitude. What bothered people about LeBron joining g Miami is pissing others off about KD. Dude out there like he's pulling the wagon.

Imagine a world where James leaves the Cavs to join Bosh and Wade to win a championship and get shat on for his attitude. Ah, wait...

Their career choices are inversely correlated. It's just been quite the mind fuck to watch KD go from this humble dude to this shit personality seemingly under some delusion that he's earned his current success.

I was nervous as shit. I watched the first 2 games with zero fear. I was afraid to watch this game, and only switched back and forth to occasional check score. I was so nervous for Golden State, hoping they would go up 3-0. Cavs do have a shot in this series. They just can't make too many mistakes to have a chance. Golden State has so much talent they can afford a number of mistakes, but it won't always be the case where all their shots drop when they need them.

There's a great bench video, where Jordan tells Kerr he's going to do thar. And it was set up by Jordan's game 1 gamewinner earlier in the series.

Such a crushing loss for Cleveland.

Believe it or not. Kerr was the one who initiated it. He told Jordan you throw me the ball I'll make the shot. And then Jordan trusted him, and it paid off.

LionPride

Banned
KD's attitude. What bothered people about LeBron joining g Miami is pissing others off about KD. Dude out there like he's pulling the wagon.

Imagine a world where James leaves the Cavs to join Bosh and Wade to win a championship and get shat on for his attitude. Ah, wait...

Their career choices are inversely correlated. It's just been quite the mind fuck to watch KD go from this humble dude to this shit personality seemingly under some delusion that he's earned his current success.
What has KD done?

Nothing really

Not a damn thing

PR_rambo

Banned

He has earned it though

We're going to be hearing Lebron Jordan comparisons for the rest of Lebron's career as he climbs various all time stat leader boards. There's a somewhat decent chance he might actually pass Karem for all time points and then things will really heat up. It's inevitable.

Plus getting swept by the greatest basketball team I've ever seen outside of the Olympics isn't the worst thing for one's career.

The problem for lebron is that the finals are the biggest stage in the sport where the most eyeballs tune in every year. Your casual observer is going to remember those last few minutes of LeBron giving up shots and fumbling the ball when it mattered most. They remember him getting swept twice and embarrased 2 more times more then they remember him coming back from 3-1 or dominating the thunder. His legacy will be of a guy who lost more then he won when it mattered most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom