• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NCAA March Madness 2016 - Men's Tournament |OT| Nobody is good this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Odd year with so many big first round upsets, but really no Cinderella team making it to the Sweet 16. 15 P5 conference teams, and regular mid major power Gonzaga.

Oh well, should make for some great games this week!

Homeboyd

Odd year with so many big first round upsets, but really no Cinderella team making it to the Sweet 16. 15 P5 conference teams, and regular mid major power Gonzaga.

Oh well, should make for some great games this week!
Yeah Jay Bilas has been arguing there is no parity in college basketball (or football really, but not his argument). Even with all the great upsets every year, it's always the same teams from the same powerhouse conferences in it every year. There's always a few small blips on the radar, but still.. no parity in the big picture. And it has always been this way.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Jay Bilas has been arguing there is no parity in college basketball (or football really, but not his argument). Even with all the great upsets every year, it's always the same teams from the same powerhouse conferences in it every year. There's always a few small blips on the radar, but still.. no parity in the big picture. And it has always been this way.

I don't know that I'd agree with that for college basketball where teams like George Mason, VCU, Butler (title game 2 straight years), Witchita State etc. have made the Final Four in recent years.

The NBA requiring players to go to college at least one year has hurt things some though, since all those players go to power 5 schools, and mostly the top contenders like Kentucky, Duke etc. Though, on the other hand, I think that's given some of those mid-majors a tad of an advantage of having more junior/senior laden teams.

Football is a different animal. It takes a ton of money to be competitive there, and the power 5 leagues really just need to be in their own division. And ideally do an expansion to get the handful of programs not currently in P5 leagues that can compete included (Cincy, UCONN, Boise St and so on).

Homeboyd

I don't know that I'd agree with that for college basketball where teams like George Mason, VCU, Butler (title game 2 straight years), Witchita State etc. have made the Final Four in recent years.
He brought those examples up specifically. Like I said, there's blips on the radar. But it's always (or at worst "mostly") the same teams winning.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
He brought those examples up specifically. Like I said, there's blips on the radar. But it's always (or at worst "mostly") the same teams winning.

To be fair, even in most pro sports leagues it's mostly the "usual suspects." Some teams rise up and drop off every few years but over every 5-10 year period there's usually a handful of the same teams always in the playoffs/title hunt.

The best teams/programs always attract the top recruits/free agents as players want to win, play in major sports cities/college towns etc. Especially in college sports and pro leagues without a hard salary cap when the financial gap makes it harder for teams outside the top echelon to compete.

Homeboyd

To be fair, even in most pro sports leagues it's mostly the "usual suspects." Some teams rise up and drop off every few years but over every 5-10 year period there's usually a handful of the same teams always in the playoffs/title hunt.

The best teams/programs always attract the top recruits/free agents as players want to win, play in major sports cities/college towns etc. Especially in college sports and pro leagues without a hard salary cap when the financial gap makes it harder for teams outside the top echelon to compete.
Agree completely. People on ESPN just kept trying to make the argument that the ncaa tournament brings parity to college basketball, and he was arguing that it doesn't.

thefro

The big thing that's happened is with all this football TV money, the big schools have dedicated practice facilities (at IU all the players can swipe a keycard, get in, and shoot around 24/7/365), nutritionists, elite strength & conditioning coaches, tons of support staff, etc. They also have the money to hire the best coaches.

Players are better overall so I think there's still a lot of parity, but the big schools have been able to maintain a gap with that.

Kaibutsu

Thought I had heard recently that Brandon Ingram had passed him on most draft boards? Something about younger with better measurables.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of people talking like Ingram will be the first pick and Simmons has been falling, ever so slightly of course, because of LSU's play towards the end of the season and his school issue. Still, there is no way in hell he's not one of the first 3 picks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom