• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Decado

Slaylock said:
For those who have played both, is the retail game more interesting than the demo? I didn't particularly enjoy the handling of the demo and the gameplay didn't seem very exciting, but the solid reviews (as well as the $20 Amazon credit) convinced me to buy the game.
Would also like to know. I thought the demo was solid, but not worth full purchase price if that is a good reflection of the retail game.

Omiee said:
Anybody want gameplay from the pc version..? i can record some and upload it.

but i have a question though, how can i set AA in the game..?
i had it on in the Ati CCC. it definately worked. as did MLAA.

but no in game option no.

see5harp

Decado said:
Would also like to know. I thought the demo was solid, but not worth full purchase price if that is a good reflection of the retail game.

It still has that strange control after a few hours of play. I'm getting used to the controls over time. It's definitely got some framerate drops at least on 360. Overall, the graphics are top notch for a most of the time 30 fps racing game. Sense of speed needed work. It feels slower than Burnout Paradise and Blur by a large margin. Great job on the online implementation though. It's more impressive than Blur in this area.

dankir

Was on the fence about this with GT5 around the corner but my friend at EA hooked up the limited edition for 20 bucks!

Sick!

Erebus

Omiee said:
i tried forcing it through nvidia control panel but its not looking real good.
the graphic options on the pc version are realy limited to resolution and high or low textures.
and if you want motion blur
I don't think forcing it through the nvidia CC works at all, at least it didn't on my PC.
And I'm really disappointed with the game so far, not only the PC version seems to be half-assed (BO Paradise had all the graphics settings you'd expect from a PC game) but the game itself doesn't feel right. I don't get the "sense" of speed like in BO Paradise.

nfs112010-11-1620-38-2ogz6.jpg

nfs112010-11-1620-41-1dczv.jpg

Omiee

i put 32x aa setting on nvidia control panel but it still looks jaggie

DarkUSS said:
I don't think forcing it through the nvidia CC works at all, at least it didn't on my PC.
And I'm really disappointed with the game so far, not only the PC version seems to be half-assed (BO Paradise had all the graphics settings you'd expect from a PC game) but the game itself doesn't feel right. I don't get the "sense" of speed like in BO Paradise.

nfs112010-11-1620-38-2ogz6.jpg

nfs112010-11-1620-41-1dczv.jpg

this is how it looks for me, no advanced graphics settings wtf man
how can i force AA on cuz it looks so bad without AA

Erebus

Omiee said:
i put 32x aa setting on nvidia control panel but it still looks jaggie

this is how it looks for me, no advanced graphics settings wtf man
how can i force AA on cuz it looks so bad without AA
It doesn't work for me either. I'm on forceware 260.99 btw.
Also it seems that that game is vsynced by default and capped at 60fps, no way to change that either.
dwebo said:
Even at 60fps?
Yep, it's nowhere close to BO Paradise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
MadOdorMachine said:
I'd like to see more of the Wii version especially other environments. I'm not too wild about the graphics so far, but I could look past them if the game is fun. The sound is atrocious though. Did they use the same sound effect for everything the car hits? I'm not interested in the Criterion version either, but is it too much to ask for a game similar to NFS:HP2? How can they screw it up this bad over and over again.
Criterion didn't screw up, though. They delivered a great game that is arguably better than any other Hot Pursuit title to date (nostalgia will have plenty hanging onto those other games, though).

The Wii version definitely looks like shit. I'm not sure what's going on there.

Don't forget the unique situation with NFS:HP2, though. The PS2 version of the game was fantastic, but the XBOX, GC, and PC versions were all completely different and quite a bit worse. Never understood what happened there.

Omiee

dwebo said:
Even at 60fps?

i do get the sense of speed, love the gameplay at 60fps but still no aa kills it for me.
overall the game is realy fun, although free drive is realy boring at times.
but sometimes when your cruising with a wet road it looks and feels good

Really disappointed by those PC shots :/ Game on PS3 looked pretty awful, jaggies everywhere and lack of texture filtering. If we can't force these on the PC then I think I'll pass on this one.

Kabuki Waq said:
how much of a fps hit is it to force AA? I have a 5870...i was hoping for some polish :(
i'd estimate (totally estimating) about 10fps.

i can hopefully get some screens and such in a few hours when i get out of work.

dark10x

plagiarize said:
i'd estimate (totally estimating) about 10fps.

i can hopefully get some screens and such in a few hours when i get out of work.
So you're saying it would go from a constant 60 fps to sub-60 fps? Wouldn't be worth the hit.

Game looks fine without AA.

I don't believe it.

I'm not sure if this is done in the HD version, but the Wii version actually has 100 cars at once. o_O

No wonder it looks bad, that's a bit much to render on the Wii I'd think, why not just do 8 cars and make it look good. How many were in Nitro at once?

most of time the only sense of speed i get is when i boost, when not boosting it felt too slow i looked at the gauge wondering why it was slow, when i saw it was 120 mph i had to say "wtf, lies". it felt at least 40 mph.

dark10x said:
So you're saying it would go from a constant 60 fps to sub-60 fps? Wouldn't be worth the hit.

Game looks fine without AA.
when i got in last night, without tweaking, i wasn't getting constant 60 fps on my 5870. i had everything up high in the menus and had 4xAA and 16xAF forced on in CCC (and i'm sure the AA was working). was playing at 1920 x 1200.

i'd say i was getting drops to around 45 fps during gameplay. turning off AA i'd say changed that to less occasional drops to about 50 fps.

i didn't have time to do any real benchmarking or tweaking though. had enough trouble getting my pad working. you can mark NFS:HP down as another game that tweaks out with that Saitek keyboard that makes Trackmania tweak out.

i could be mistaken on all of the above, but i know i wasn't locked at 60 (cause my eyes clearly told me and then FRAPS confirmed).

dark10x

Hero of Legend said:
I don't believe it.

I'm not sure if this is done in the HD version, but the Wii version actually has 100 cars at once. o_O

No wonder it looks bad, that's a bit much to render on the Wii I'd think, why not just do 8 cars and make it look good. How many were in Nitro at once?
Does it actually display all 100 cars at once? If they are simply staggered (so that you only see a smaller group at any one time), then you're talking about something entirely different.

i could be mistaken on all of the above, but i know i wasn't locked at 60 (cause my eyes clearly told me and then FRAPS confirmed).
Sounds like buying the console version was the right move then. If I can have a perfect 60 fps 100% of the time, I'll take a rock solid 30. Those types of dips in PC ports drive me crazy.

Omiee

AA is much needed in this game.
i hope they give us an update or at least let me force it on through nvidia control panel.

2r7u1zd.jpg

nx3pl1.jpg

i have constant 60fps

MiniDitka

Thankfully the guys at the Gametop I shop at are cool and they let me return NFS Wii for the full price and was able to pick up the 360 version without taking a hit.

dark10x

Metalmurphy said:
Erm... not to me :p
Ah well, now that I think about it, PC games do tend to look quite a bit worse when viewing them on a monitor at close range. I play most PC games on a 50" 1080p screen and the lack of AA is much less of an issue. I'm happy to disable it in order to hit a constant framerate.

When I sit down in front of my 23" LCD, however, the close proximity brings out a lot of flaws that were less apparent from a greater viewing distance.

Murmur

Grabbed this at lunch and can't wait to hop in. I'm going with the "Paradise demo wasn't great and full game was awesome" mentality for this. I liked parts of the Hot Pursuit demo but I'm going all in for the full game. Should be a blast!

If anyone's looking for 360 friends for Autolog fun, feel free to add me. Nobody on my list has it yet. :)

GT: slintaii

Erebus

It seems that there is a hidden anisotropic filtering option in the game's config file that is turned off by default.

clipboard013nqp.jpg

DarkUSS said:
It seems that there is a hidden anisotropic filtering option in the game's config file that is turned off by default.

clipboard013nqp.jpg
i swear i saw an aniso option in the in game menus.

edit: can't load the game while i'm logged in here using remote desktop, but i checked my config file and that option is turned on. the aniso option is in the menus.

UFRA said:
Wow, the Wii version gives me a feeling of nostalgia...I feel like playing San Francisco Rush or Rush 2 on N64 right now. :lol
Reminded me of Cruisin' USA :lol :lol :lol

My 360 version is out for delivery, come on UPS!

If anyone wants to play online, my gamertag is Whitta. Gonna flush out my friends list to make room for new people now.

ascully

Playing on the PC, I was excited to play a Criterion Developed NFS. It feels a lot like Burnout when drifting but the game has no personality at all. No cutscenes, no story, nothing, just race after race and a levelling system. Quite dissapointed.

Omiee

DarkUSS said:

clipboard013nqp.jpg

how do i change this so i can turn AA on..?
it says false with me..?

Erebus

Omiee said:
how do i change this so i can turn AA on..?
it says false with me..?
Just type "true" like you see in my screencap. Though, this is not about the anti-aliasing.

plagiarize said:
i swear i saw an aniso option in the in game menus.

edit: can't load the game while i'm logged in here using remote desktop, but i checked my config file and that option is turned on. the aniso option is in the menus.
I may have missed it then. :(

dwebo

ascully said:
Playing on the PC, I was excited to play a Criterion Developed NFS. It feels a lot like Burnout when drifting but the game has no personality at all. No cutscenes, no story, nothing, just race after race and a levelling system. Quite dissapointed.
Do NFS games normally have story or something? The last one I played was Porsche Unleashed on PC a decade ago. The single-player structure here sounds just like the PS2 Burnouts, which is exactly what I was hoping for - no muss, no fuss.

Erebus

dwebo said:
Do NFS games normally have story or something? The last one I played was Porsche Unleashed on PC a decade ago. The single-player structure here sounds just like the PS2 Burnouts, which is exactly what I was hoping for - no muss, no fuss.
I think NFS Underground and the other similar games (ProStreet, Most Wanted etc) had all storylines and live-action cutscenes with real actors and stuff.

dwebo said:
The last bunch before Shift did.

Thank god they didn't do it here.

dwebo said:
yeah it's very much NFS3 + NFS4 + NFS6 + Burnout 3 + Burnout Revenge.

Omiee

DarkUSS said:
Just type "true" like you see in my screencap. Though, this is not about the anti-aliasing.

I may have missed it then. :(

ok i put it on true and saved it, what does it change..?
i have a GTX 470 and although i get 60fps at max i want to have AA and nvidia control panel wont let me, is there any other option for me..?
not just for this but for overal, a good programme that lets me force AA and stuff

see5harp said:
EA Games. Not just sports games anymore. They'll give you a free 2 day trial for online, but after that you need the code that comes with new games to play online.

So if I use the online pass on my PS3 does that mean I can't play online if I take the game to my brother's house?
I don't play sports games so I'm not sure how this works exactly.

Pimpbaa

DarkUSS said:
Yep, it's nowhere close to BO Paradise.

BO Paradise had an excessively exaggerated sense of speed. This has a bit more realistic sense of speed, not necessarily worse.

Pimpbaa

ascully said:

This is a racing game! Get the hell out of here with that shit.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well guys, I was honestly going to buy the PC version of this game, but after some research around the net and after hearing impressions on it from a friend, I"m gonna pass this up unless one of you can convince me otherwise. Here is a small litany of reasons I'm leaning towards skipping this title:

1)While playing the game, if you do something that EA considers "extraordinary" or "spectacular", it switches to these annoying cut-scenes that you cannot skip, and it often ruins your immersion of the race. I heard Burnout Paradise and some other NFS games had this issue and well, that is something I know would drive me up the wall.

2)PC version has NO fucking force feedback steering wheel support of any kind. In this day and age? And especially when Shift has it? Are you fucking kidding me Criterion???? My jaw is still on the floor over this one guys. Utterly despicable!!!

3)As mentioned above, no anti-aliasing. Not a bug deal, but C'mon, that's pathetic.

4)Not avaivable on Steam. *sigh*....need I say more?

There's more stuff but I just can't be bothered ATM.

chris121580

ascully said:
:lol This can't be a serious post. You really want cut scenes and a story in a racing game? Come on

Top Bottom