• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Jimrpg

NHale said:
When you know that it doesn't matter how quick you are in the first 2/3 of a race then you know something is wrong with the AI. It's not game breaking for me but I would prefer if they managed to do the rubberbanding less evident.

thats what makes me mad with criterion... B3 was ruined by rubberbanding... i could do terrible in the first 2/3rds and get away with it... its almost as if they do it because the benefits outweigh losses... like it keeps the game somewhat exciting for 'all' players and players can learn the tracks. NO just NO! Could you imagine if a football game was rigged where one team decided not to score because they wanted to keep it close... thats why i can't take any of their games seriously because its just not racing.

I didnt buy Burnout Paradise till very late and cheap becoz of the rubberbanding... and Hot Pursuit most likely the same

The other thing i don't like are their graphics... its generally uninspired... colors, art everything... but i should say that Hot Pursuit does look a step up from their previous efforts.

arbok26 said:
The other thing i don't like are their graphics... its generally uninspired... colors, art everything... but i should say that Hot Pursuit does look a step up from their previous efforts.

I always thought they had great art direction, considering the setting: racing environement...

Burnout colors always were vibrant and vivd. track geometry was full of scale and rythme was excellent between narraw outdoor and giant vistas.

Need for speed is really doing a great job here. Colors palette isn't as vivid as Burnout's title, but it keeps really warm and close to the original Hot Pursuit franchise.

D23

this game is sooo much fun
pic.jpg

Sallokin

Just received this in the mail. Anything I should know before I sit down with it? Haven't really been following along too much, but the positive impression and black Friday sale made it too hard to resist.

Emitan

Sallokin said:
Just received this in the mail. Anything I should know before I sit down with it? Haven't really been following along too much, but the positive impression and black Friday sale made it too hard to resist.
You're going to get an ad for another game when you start it. And then after that everything will be pure bliss.

arbok26 said:
Are you playing the Wii version or something? This game looks GREAT!

crispyben

Got my True Blue trophy tonight :D Getting a Distinction in each Cop event wasn't too difficult, I even managed that last one on my second try... by almost not boosting at all! Yet I'm still only Rank 15, online here I come once I'm done with the Racer events (more than twenty left). This game has prevented me from touching ACB :lol

D23

crispyben said:
Got my True Blue trophy tonight :D Getting a Distinction in each Cop event wasn't too difficult, I even managed that last one on my second try... by almost not boosting at all! Yet I'm still only Rank 15, online here I come once I'm done with the Racer events (more than twenty left). This game has prevented me from touching ACB :lol

omg yes.. lol

Gowans

Gary Whitta said:
Good playing with you today! Always up for more!
Defo, I'm hooked, had to drag myself away.

I'm gona go and convice my friends to pick this up now, the NFS name has been so diluted they've just lost interest and stopped paying attention, hopefully this is EAs start of fixing that.

Fingers crossed it's high in the UK charts this week (I'll have a peek soon) & it sells well, it deserves it. Curious how it reviewed to might flick through and have a look.

Beezy

I just started playing this last night and it's amazing. Yeah it doesn't feel exactly like Burnout, but when using the faster cars it feels closer to B3: Takedown than anything else.

Sucks that no one on my 360 friendlist is playing it, but oh well.

Teknoman

pic.jpg

Damn you PS3 NFS GAF. I will hit the top time on the first preview event.

The sense of speed with some of the faster cars is INSANE.

Emitan

Teknoman said:
pic.jpg

Damn you PS3 NFS GAF. I will hit the top time on the first preview event.
I was on the top on my autolog, but I think I only had you, someone else and one of my friends to compete with.

Bebpo

Banned
How do you get your photos off the game? Also since you lose control of the camera when you crash a racer in cop mode, how are you supposed to get pictures of the crashes?

Pleasantly surprised by the game so far. Much better than the demo implied. Handling still feels a little weighty and the rubberbanding is ridiculously obvious in racer mode.

Teknoman

I've added/been added by a few people from the online ID topic in the community section. Not really sure how some of you guys are shaving seconds off your time :lol Guess I should practice on not drifting with every turn.

Bebpo said:
How do you get your photos off the game? Also since you lose control of the camera when you crash a racer in cop mode, how are you supposed to get pictures of the crashes?

Pleasantly surprised by the game so far. Much better than the demo implied. Handling still feels a little weighty and the rubberbanding is ridiculously obvious in racer mode.

R3 on both consoles should take images while driving. Autolog website lets you post images:
http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/autolog As for cop crashes, try pressing start as soon as the crash begins, or using R3 during the crash. Oh and use the autolog website to upload decent quality avatars.

Also everyone needs to add Floodlight from Ridge Racer 6 to their custom playlist.

D23 said:
this game is sooo much fun
pic.jpg

:lol what the?

Bebpo

Banned
Teknoman said:
R3 on both consoles should take images while driving. Autolog website lets you post images:
http://hotpursuit.needforspeed.com/autolog As for cop crashes, try pressing start as soon as the crash begins, or using R3 during the crash. Oh and use the autolog website to upload decent quality avatars.

Thanks! My first race, first pic :)

pic.jpg

and what I saw in my rear view mirror after tapping a guy and causing him to lose control and hit others:

pic.jpg

BPK

How does the game feel while racing online? I spent hours playing Burnout 3 online but found the "freedom" of the open world in Paradise offputting. I like my racers to be structured. As well, if you slam into a neutral card head-on, please tell me that you don't "check" it and that you actually crash. Finally, is there sufficient variety to the courses you race on?

^trolling GT5 in the NFS thread SMH.

So, the copy I bought on Friday was supposed to be here today. Came home and it's not here...amazon says delivered...

BPK

Awesome. What about the variety in the tracks you race on? I found Paradise City a little on the bland side.

Peterthumpa

MY GOD.

This game is addictive. It's the first thing that actually made me put GT 5 away for a few... hours!

Playing on the PC and it's freakin' gorgeous, and the Autolog feature is such a breath of fresh air that feels like crack. Online is ultra smooth and the game is pure, awesome fun.

Absolutely brilliant game Criterion, you guys rock.

Bellow are some of my shots to prove that GT 5 is not the only superb looking racer out there right now. This game looks stunning (and those are real time shots, BTW). Enjoy!

pic1y.png

pic2jh.png

pic3pq.png

pic40.png

pic501.png

pic60.png

pic7e.png

picsp.png

BTW, account name is "felipaopl", add me to your friends list!
EDIT - HQ screenshots added.

May get this instead of GT5. The place where I have in-store credit hasn't gotten it yet, but have plenty of this, and the impressions are so good.

Guyver

brandonh83 said:
May get this instead of GT5. The place where I have in-store credit hasn't gotten it yet, but have plenty of this, and the impressions are so good.

Same here, can't decide to get this or GT5 :S

BPK

I'm in the same boat about this or GT5. Obviously they're radically different, but I only really have time for one.

brandonh83 said:
Two different racing games. Do you prefer sims or arcades?

Man the difficulty in the single player in this is no joke. The rubber band AI is pissing me off, mostly because I can't seem to grasp the high speed drifting/turning. Every time I hit a short curve I lose any lead I might have had. Not to mention it seems like half of the "short cuts" seem to be fools gold that set you back. Any tips for the drifting?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just got this on 360, good show all around. Not many ppl on my friends list have it though to populate autolog (why doesn't autolog have a general leaderboards setting?)

Feel free to add me, xbl gamertag: toydragoninblue

Kaijima said:
Just got this on 360, good show all around. Not many ppl on my friends list have it though to populate autolog (why doesn't autolog have a general leaderboards setting?)

Feel free to add me, xbl gamertag: toydragoninblue

Add me mate i should have this today also, Mad Mackem is the tag.

crispyben

Anybody else notice the Imprezive trophy looks very different from the rest of them? It's rather strange, like they kept it from a first design they put aside... Even the other car-specific ones have nothing in common with it!

43.jpg
vs.
47.jpg

Gowans

supermackem said:
I should have this today, depends if my mail man can be arsed or not mind.:lol
Mail Man? you mean postie?

Anyway ace game mate I'll try and get on during lunch. Blown me away.

glaurung

crispyben said:
Anybody else notice the Imprezive trophy looks very different from the rest of them? It's rather strange, like they kept it from a first design they put aside... Even the other car-specific ones have nothing in common with it!

43.jpg
vs.
47.jpg
Yes.

There are so many different styles for trophy icons in this game, it looks kind of weird.

And I cannot say that I much approve of the style or quality of the graphics in these trophy icons. Still, this is a minor niggle.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
felipepl said:
MY GOD.

This game is addictive. It's the first thing that actually made me put GT 5 away for a few... hours!

Playing on the PC and it's freakin' gorgeous, and the Autolog feature is such a breath of fresh air that feels like crack. Online is ultra smooth and the game is pure, awesome fun.

Absolutely brilliant game Criterion, you guys rock.

Bellow are some of my shots to prove that GT 5 is not the only superb looking racer out there right now. This game looks stunning (and those are real time shots, BTW). Enjoy!

pic1y.png

pic2jh.png

pic3pq.png

pic40.png

pic501.png

pic60.png

pic7e.png

picsp.png

BTW, account name is "felipaopl", add me to your friends list!
EDIT - HQ screenshots added.

Dammit you are NOT making my decision to boycott this game(PC version) any easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear if it wasn't for the following issues(again, PC only):

1)Huge deazone in steering wheels
2)Lackluster FFB support
3)No manual transmission
4)Unable to skip the cheesy cutscenes when crashing or doing anything EA thinks is "spectacular".

...........I would have bought it day fucking one! But damn, not when these issues exist :( :( :(

Peterthumpa

isamu said:
Dammit you are NOT making my decision to boycott this game(PC version) any easier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear if it wasn't for the following issues(again, PC only):

1)Huge deazone in steering wheels
2)Lackluster FFB support
3)No manual transmission
4)Unable to skip the cheesy cutscenes when crashing or doing anything EA thinks is "spectacular".

...........I would have bought it day fucking one! But damn, not when these issues exist :( :( :(
Buy it, everything you listed will fade away when you start the game. You don't know what you're missing.

EDIT - By the way, manual transmission and cockpit views were added by the mod community already.

Dilly

Banned
Felipe, how's the online experience on PC?

I heard that the Single Player wasn't that exciting and that that the multiplayer was the most interesting part.

Dilly said:

I heard that the Single Player wasn't that exciting and that that the multiplayer was the most interesting part.
The main problem with the single player is that there doesn't seem to be enough Hot Pursuit events, which is strange because you'd think they would pack it with those instead of so many time trial and regular races, which can get frustrating because of the AI. The good thing is though that thanks to Autolog the single player always has that multiplayer connection which makes you want to replay races over and over to beat your friendlist's top times.

Peterthumpa

Dilly said:

It's amazing. As I said, Autolog makes the whole competition aspect even more fun.
Finding friends is easy with the "Autolog Recommends" feature, and at least for me, online races were ultra smooth, no lag whatsoever.

On a side note, the single player is actually pretty good too.

Top Bottom