• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Emitan

BPK said:
How does the game feel while racing online? I spent hours playing Burnout 3 online but found the "freedom" of the open world in Paradise offputting. I like my racers to be structured. As well, if you slam into a neutral card head-on, please tell me that you don't "check" it and that you actually crash. Finally, is there sufficient variety to the courses you race on?
I loved Burnout 3 online and I love this game too. It basically feels like Burnout 3, but it's harder to wreck people because if you get taken out you loose. The single player can get a little boring, but the online alone is worth the price.

Is there a way to find public games with a friend on 360? Buddy and I wanted to play in a public hot pursuit lobby, but couldn't figure out how to search for a game with two open slots. I had to keep joining quick matches, then he would have to rush to catch any open slots, and we usually ended up on different teams.

Either way, hot pursuit online is awesome!

NJ Shlice

pic.jpg

frogg609

This is on Amazon's Lightning Deal's for 34.99 for 360 and PS3, and 29.99 for PC.

Are the experiences the same between the 360 and PS3, or is there a clear winner?

Emitan

frogg609 said:
This is on Amazon's Lightning Deal's for 34.99 for 360 and PS3, and 29.99 for PC.

Are the experiences the same between the 360 and PS3, or is there a clear winner?
I don't know if there are any, but the PS3 version runs fine and there seems to be a lot more GAFers on that version.

crispyben

OMG at the Hot Pursuit called Double Jeopardy... Finished first after umpteen attempts with critical damage on my McLaren F1 by dodging helicopter spike strips while turbo boosting in the last mile :D

_RT_

frogg609 said:

Almost jumped on the deal. Just realized there is no split screen in the game?
For the love of everything holy. I had really hoped it would be brought back.

Loxley

frogg609 said:

Criterion is one of the few multi-platform developers out there that develops on the PS3 as the lead platform, their games are then ported to the 360 (the same was true for Burnout Paradise). Which is why most people tend to go for the PS3 version :)

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
felipepl said:
Buy it, everything you listed will fade away when you start the game. You don't know what you're missing.

EDIT - By the way, manual transmission and cockpit views were added by the mod community already.
Cool, but will Criterion add a manual transmission to the console versions? I know the gamepad controls are crowded anyways, but still...

Sectus

felipepl said:
Buy it, everything you listed will fade away when you start the game. You don't know what you're missing.

EDIT - By the way, manual transmission and cockpit views were added by the mod community already.
Please, tell me more! Where can I find this mod?

MrCompletely said:
Is there a way to find public games with a friend on 360? Buddy and I wanted to play in a public hot pursuit lobby, but couldn't figure out how to search for a game with two open slots. I had to keep joining quick matches, then he would have to rush to catch any open slots, and we usually ended up on different teams.

Either way, hot pursuit online is awesome!
Start a friends game then when your friends are in the game there is an option to switch it to a public game from the lobby.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
This is a good game. I'm enjoying it more now that I've gotten better at it. The time trials helped whip me into shape.

my favorite event so far was the Preview called Vanishing Point or something where you drive the ultra fast sports car in the desert. You hit some fuckin insane speeds on the part where the road is straight for a couple miles, it's intense.

Anyone have the game (PS3 ver.) lock up on them after ending a race?

Happened to me twice today (both in Interceptor matches) and now I have an uneven count of races played as a cop/racer.

The second time I was driving as a cop and my car stopped at top speed, no engine running, no slowing down to a stop. My car went from top speed to nothing. I could talk to my opponent and they even tried racing back to see if they could interact with my car, but they couldn't get to me in time. The match ended and both of our games crashed, despite being able to talk.

Fucking lame.

KoruptData said:
Start a friends game then when your friends are in the game there is an option to switch it to a public game from the lobby.

I tried that, but the game just counted down to the match start and nobody ever entered the room; tried this twice in a row.

iNvid02

why the fuck did they cap the bounty at level 20? after playing as a racer now you get nothing, its just frozen at 2 million. why not let the bounty add up to your lifetime count.

also do bigger cars like the bentley and shelby gt500 take more damage than say the ccx? there is no strength stat but it seems as though the ccx crumbles apart within seconds in hot pursuit

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
iNvidious01 said:
why the fuck did they cap the bounty at level 20? after playing as a racer now you get nothing, its just frozen at 2 million. why not let the bounty add up to your lifetime count.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some DLC packs that add new events and raise the level cap. I would probably buy it.

I've grown to appreciate this game a little more recently, but the MP interface needs some work. I want to be able to join as a party with my friends, be on the same team and whatnot. 1 on 1 is fun for a while but partying up would be ideal.

Also, I'd really like to find a game where the biggest threat, as a cop, is not...well, the other cops. But idiot randoms are nothing new, I guess.

Also, honest question, I got destroyed outright from one hit as a racer. Wasn't stopped or anything, just going through a corner. Full health to zero. Is there some tactic that is super damaging that I don't know about or should I chalk this up to inconsistent online weirdness?

Ballistik

I have one major complaint that I don't know if you guys have felt missing. In Hot Pursuit 2, when you were playing hot pursuits, you would hear the cops talking with each other constantly about what was going on (He's going xx speed! He just rammed the car! etc.), and it really made the cops feel more alive and present. The sense of being chased was felt throughout the WHOLE race. In this game, you take down the cops right when they start chasing and you don't hear anything from them again until at the end of the race... and I feel like very little dialogue is exchanged.

Two minor ones:
1) Road blocks seem like too much of a threat because they can be VERY hard to avoid, and the only way is to go through the gap (or get lucky and have the cutscene of a takedown), it should be where it just causes damage, and slows you down.

2) The cutscenes in the race. Burnout games have had the option to ignore them to keep the flow of the race, and that isn't here. They're enjoyable at first, but sometimes you get interrupted RIGHT when you are about to knock someone else out. In worst cases, when the cutscene is done and you get back to driving, you're at a turn and the car isn't turning and slam the side of the turn.

Still, this is the best Need For Speed I have ever played.

iNvid02

ColonelSkills said:
I've grown to appreciate this game a little more recently, but the MP interface needs some work. I want to be able to join as a party with my friends, be on the same team and whatnot. 1 on 1 is fun for a while but partying up would be ideal.

Also, I'd really like to find a game where the biggest threat, as a cop, is not...well, the other cops. But idiot randoms are nothing new, I guess.

Also, honest question, I got destroyed outright from one hit as a racer. Wasn't stopped or anything, just going through a corner. Full health to zero. Is there some tactic that is super damaging that I don't know about or should I chalk this up to inconsistent online weirdness?

rammin someone whilst they are drifting around a corner, and your coming in at some speed will easily take away half their health if not more. happened to me today, but it wasn't 1hit kill like your sayin

Just played about 45 minutes of the game and holy sh*t is this game good.

I literally screamed out, "OHHH SHITTT" 3 times in 45 minutes. Can't wait to paly some more after getting some work done!

JdFoX187

Banned
sdornan said:
Is it just me or are the time trial levels where you get penalized for hitting walls hard as fuck?
Especially with some of the courses where it's either slam on the breaks and lose all your speed, or smack the wall.

BPK

How are the tracks in this game? Is there sufficient variety to keep one interested? As I mentioned above, I found Paradise City a little on the bland side.

MrCompletely said:
I tried that, but the game just counted down to the match start and nobody ever entered the room; tried this twice in a row.

Had the same exact problem over the weekend, what me and my friend ended up doing was we kept playing until we were able to get people into the room. It sucks but its that or try the method you were doing before

BPK said:
How are the tracks in this game? Is there sufficient variety to keep one interested? As I mentioned above, I found Paradise City a little on the bland side.

I think by rank 10, you'll recognize most areas but with the ability to reverse tracks and move you to different locales via the intersection, the combination of track sections make a lot of tracks feel fresh.

BPK

magnificent83 said:
I think by rank 10, you'll recognize most areas but with the ability to reverse tracks and move you to different locales via the intersection, the combination of track sections make a lot of tracks feel fresh.

And are the tracks "fun" to drive on? Are there some zany shortcuts and is the scenery interesting?

egocrata

Banned
Just checking in to say that I love the free roaming. Sometimes you just feel like a drive, and the roads and views in this game are dang pretty that it is oddly relaxing. I love it.

lawblob said:
Just picked it up on PS3. Come at me, bros.

PSN:
lawblob
imma add you just because

still on the fence about nfs:hp. just got 3d-dot game heroes, sly collection, and dj hero 2 to mess around with

will i even have time, i wonder

Pimpbaa

God damn this game is beautiful. Even without AA on the PC version. Hope they fix that tho (and the rain). My EA ID is CrustyNoob.

so i was a fan of burnout until i bought Burnout Paradise and suddenly the game had all of this weird website stuff and friend's leader-boards and it just overwhelmed me and i just put it on my shelf. But like i said i am a fan of other Burnout games so i want to try out Hot Pursit, but is this game a good single player game? or is it still heavily dependt on the website and leader board stuff?

iNvidious01 said:
rammin someone whilst they are drifting around a corner, and your coming in at some speed will easily take away half their health if not more. happened to me today, but it wasn't 1hit kill like your sayin
Yeah, I've seen that. I have no real problem with that sort of thing.

I think the game just spazzed out or there was a lag issue or something. Since I was going pretty much just straight through a tunnel's soft left and all the sudden I exploded completely. It was rather violent. Equal parts funny and aggravating, though. I might have been more mad if it wasn't the third turn of the course and I was close to winning, though.

terrdactycalsrock said:
so i was a fan of burnout until i bought Burnout Paradise and suddenly the game had all of this weird website stuff and friend's leader-boards and it just overwhelmed me and i just put it on my shelf. But like i said i am a fan of other Burnout games so i want to try out Hot Pursit, but is this game a good single player game? or is it still heavily dependt on the website and leader board stuff?
If you liked the old style Burnout games, you should like Hot Pursuit. It does prominently feature the leaderboard stuff, but if you play offline you never even have to deal with that stuff. Or if none of the people on your friend's list have the game. But even playing online, it just mentions when someone has beat your best time, or suggests you retry a race to re-capture the lead. You can just choose to ignore all that stuff. It doesn't personally do anything for me, there's always someone on my friend's list who scores miraculous times on a regular basis. Times I will likely never beat. So I generally ignore that stuff.

But the core gameplay is so solid and so fun, I really find it hard not to recommend Hot Pursuit. Especially if you were a fan of the older Burnout titles. That's not to say this is a Burnout game, it clearly isn't. Though there are light sprinkles of Burnout here and there. Like getting more nitrous by driving into oncoming traffic, near misses, or knocking out a rival.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
felipepl said:

Yes I heard about this. Can you provide a link to a thread on EA or Criterion's board discussing this mod? I looked around but couldn't find anything.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Ballistik said:
2) The cutscenes in the race. Burnout games have had the option to ignore them to keep the flow of the race, and that isn't here. They're enjoyable at first, but sometimes you get interrupted RIGHT when you are about to knock someone else out. In worst cases, when the cutscene is done and you get back to driving, you're at a turn and the car isn't turning and slam the side of the turn.

This is my main coveat. If they come out with a mod to eliminate this in the PC version, I will cave in and buy it!

spidye

is there a way to hide the text in multiplayer? I don't want to read every time if someone hit the road block or drove over the spikes. it's so annoying when the text takes the whole screen.

Finally got to put more than a race into this last night, and this game is criminally underrated, at least when it comes to my friends list. Out of like 75 people (about 3 IRL friends lol), only 2 other people bought the game. : ( Even then, beating those two's high scores and then posting on the wall that I had did have the faint resemblance of crack cocaine.

The online portion IS crack. Not sure how I am going to handle my Black Ops AND NFS additions at the same time. :lol

Hot Pursuit initially left me underwhelmed. Now, I can't stop playing.

I spent my first week with the game trying to play it similarly to Burnout; checking cars, trying to cause crashes and expecting a highly unrealistic control of my car. But that's not how the game is designed to be played.

The past few nights (after listening to Giant Bomb's sublime description of how to properly drift) I've found myself in the zone. As a racer, I'm avoiding contact as much as I can. And I'm winning.

This game is a lot of fun. Oh, and it's beautiful.

5226098245_6074860753.jpg

5226098273_8d05f4bf59.jpg

5226098143_ce845755d9.jpg

5226692922_9478577b1d.jpg

Westonian

Finally beat the McLaren F1 challenge last night! Hadn't touched it in days preferring to run through the rest of the racer events instead of spend time pulling my hair out. Went back to it last night and got gold by two seconds on my first try, even though my run was far from perfect. I think if I really put in the time I could beat it by 10+ seconds.

It goes to show that the more you play, the better you get, even if you can't see the improvement right away. I think the Autolog is actually a really useful tool in that respect, because my ultra competitive nature has me going back to previous events every time someone beats my time. Learning how to shave precious seconds has made events like the McLaren challenge easier to beat.

Top Bottom