• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is it true that the drifting in this game is very similar to OutRun 2's drifting? If so, can you explain why?

egocrata

Banned
My wife is going to be out today, so I will race. Oh, yes, I will race today.:D

What is your favorite car category to race on online? For some reason I am partial to sport and performance - supercars and up scare me!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
egocrata said:
My wife is going to be out today, so I will race. Oh, yes, I will race today.:D

What is your favorite car category to race on online? For some reason I am partial to sport and performance - supercars and up scare me!
Hyper only. :lol

Goldrusher

isamu said:
Is it true that the drifting in this game is very similar to OutRun 2's drifting? If so, can you explain why?
The entire game feels a lot like Outrun (basic gameplay & racing), mixed with some Burnout (crashes, takedowns) and NFS (cops, special abilities).

Oneself

isamu said:

Mostly because countersteering pretty much doesn't exist. It's still more realistic and feels more natural than Outrun 2 though.
In fact, to my surprise, it works pretty well.

Tap the gaz (or tap the brakes) and you start drifting. Once you're drifting, you control the drift from left to right...

Edit:beaten badly. I must say, the game feels like a mix of Outrun/Arcade Cruisn USA/Burnout 3 & Chase HQ. Overall, it's fucking awesome:lol

Beezy

Got distinction on all the cop events last night and I'm halfway through the racer events. Less than a week and I've already played over 22 hours. I should be able to 1000 this in less than a week.

I just won this on Ebay for $40 + $4 for shipping - the $11.67 in my paypal account, so I really spent only $32.33 on it.

I bought the PS3 version (I don't have a 360). I used to play a Need for Speed game on PC many years ago (think it was Hot Pursuit actually) and I remember having fun with it. I just watched videos of this game on Youtube and was excited for it.

I guess if I don't like it I could always resell it.

Peterthumpa

I still can't believe how good this game is. Criterion/EA, please, I'm waiting for Hot Pursuit 2 already, you have my money.

Been playing for the last 2 hours (and tomorrow I got a meeting to attend @ 8 AM, 2 AM right now :lol) and it's so good. It's a shame that the PC version has no voice chat whatsoever, and that's the only complaint that I can imagine with this game.

More shots:

pic1rh.jpg

picmp.jpg

pic3nn.jpg

pic5zn.jpg

pic4bb.jpg

iNvid02

just seen that you can buy a car pack on the ps store to get pretty much every car without doing jack shit, this is lame.

sdornan

MidnightScott said:
I just won this on Ebay for $40 + $4 for shipping - the $11.67 in my paypal account, so I really spent only $32.33 on it.

I bought the PS3 version (I don't have a 360). I used to play a Need for Speed game on PC many years ago (think it was Hot Pursuit actually) and I remember having fun with it. I just watched videos of this game on Youtube and was excited for it.

I guess if I don't like it I could always resell it.
Money in a PayPal account =/= money is a weird way to justify a purchase. :D

jesus christ some of these single player events (particularly the one on one duels and the time trial previews) are fucking brutal. I will run through and have what seems like a pretty good run (no wrecks, catch a bunch of shortcuts) and when I finish I'm like 20 seconds off a gold medal :lol

Treb

Yeah I'm having a hard time as well getting gold medals on most of the time trial races. It's tough but I'm having such a good time playing this game. It's quite addictive.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
isamu said:
I think it's more like Ridge Racer, but with some actual weight to the cars.

NHale

EA’s announced the first premium DLC pack for Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit.

The pack will contain 12new events, new achievements/trophies and new cars, such as cop and racer versions of:

* Bugatti Veyron SS
* Porsche 911 GT2
* Gumpert Apollo

No release date or prices have been given, although the trailer released for the pack says to look out for more information on NeedforSpeed.com
Link

Can anyone give me any tips on drifting, as I just don't seem to be quite grasping it in this game.

Is there a better way to initiate, or a to keep speed up, or something I'm just not quite intuitively picking up like I should? Following the line is all fine and good but during drifts I seem to be losing way too much ground. There's gotta be something I'm missing here based on what everyone else is saying.

Any tips?

Peterthumpa

ColonelSkills said:
Can anyone give me any tips on drifting, as I just don't seem to be quite grasping it in this game.

Is there a better way to initiate, or a to keep speed up, or something I'm just not quite intuitively picking up like I should? Following the line is all fine and good but during drifts I seem to be losing way too much ground. There's gotta be something I'm missing here based on what everyone else is saying.

Any tips?
Try to only "tap" the drift button without holding it.
Usually I just tap once for a light drift, twice quickly for a heavier one and so on.

IMO, the secret is to avoid holding the drift button.

ColonelSkills said:

Any tips?
i normally move out to cut in tight on the turn, tap the breaks to start drifting, and then try and go as close to the apex as possible. you need to sort of predict when you want to come out of the drift to nail the right line out of the corner, and then as soon as you have traction again and are facing the right way, NITRO.

on a shallow long turn i find it's better to come off the accelerator and back on it to intiate the drift. seems to give you a shallower drift.

Hawk SE

I am at 800/1000G in this game. So much fun.

I just need one Gold as a Racer, then Achievement. Then last Gold as a Cop, then Achievement.

Also NFS Hot Pursuit has lined up with my gamerscore. So once I get 1000/1000G, I'll have 60,000 Gamerscore.

Regarding Drifting. I'm not sure why this is, but I see a ton of people online hitting their e-brakes going into a turn, and then then spin wildly as result. :lol

Beezy

plagiarize said:
i normally move out to cut in tight on the turn, tap the breaks to start drifting, and then try and go as close to the apex as possible. you need to sort of predict when you want to come out of the drift to nail the right line out of the corner, and then as soon as you have traction again and are facing the right way, NITRO.

on a shallow long turn i find it's better to come off the accelerator and back on it to intiate the drift. seems to give you a shallower drift.
This is exactly how I do it.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Does this game work with a wheel, and if so, how is it? I'm playing GT5 with my DFGT right now, so I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to force feedback implementation, but I'm still curious of other games that gets enhanced with a wheel. I've tried Outrun 2 and Burnout Paradise with a wheel, but they weren't particularly good.

Hmm, definitely something to try out. Thanks everyone. Regarding nitro usage, I was tending to tap or hold it after initiating the drift and carrying it through the corner to maintain speed through it rather than using it to regain it afterward. I will definitely try to change that up, and the double tap as opposed to the slightly lengthier brake holding I was doing for entering sharper corners.

Thanks guys, much obliged.

I love this game, definetly one of my sleeper hit(it wasn't on my radar cause I thought the racing model was gonna change). Will pick it up on boxing day....

BUT the time trials are freakin rediculous. especially the "Ultimate road car" time trial... I wanted to throw my controller to the wall.

Westonian

The Bookerman said:
BUT the time trials are freakin rediculous. especially the "Ultimate road car" time trial... I wanted to throw my controller to the wall.

That one is a piece of cake compared to some of the later Gauntlet events. And just wait until the last couple of Hot Pursuits. I only have two racer events left to Gold, and one of them is a Hot Pursuit that makes me want to punch a hole to the fabric of space and time while yelling every obscenity in every language I know.

The game becomes infinitely easier once you learn how to properly drift.

- In sharp, right-angle turns tap X (360 controller) to send of the car into a sideways spin.

- In medium turns, tap the brakes then punch the gas

- In long turns, tap the gas to lose traction but maintain speed

The time trial events frustrated me at first, especially the Cop Rapid Response races. But on my last race, I won gold with 22 seconds to spare.

There's a learning curve to the game I didn't expect. But once you get it down, learning how to feather the gas in long turns and nitro out (ALWAYS nitro out if you can)... the game is sublime.

Westonian said:
That one is a piece of cake compared to some of the later Gauntlet events. And just wait until the last couple of Hot Pursuits. I only have two racer events left to Gold, and one of them is a Hot Pursuit that makes me want to punch a hole to the fabric of space and time while yelling every obscenity in every language I know.
well, i think that is just the first one that requires you to corner properly to get near gold. it's easy enough once you figure out the drifting basics, but until you do gold seems impossible.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
NHale said:
Sweet, I wanted the Veyron SS and Apollo. Now EA needs to add the Maserati MC12, Lamborghini Diablo SV, Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary, Mercedes CLK GTR, and the SSC Ultimate Aero TT, and I'll be happy for now.

Defunkled

I love this game but the rubber-banding is FUCKING ridiculous. I'm on the "King of the Road" Duel and I've tried to beat it at least 20 times. No matter how good I am, the other car just rubber-bands to the front. One time, he had TWO HEAD-ON COLLISIONS and still caught up to me, even though I had a perfect run and hadn't even touched a guard rail.

How the hell do I beat this?

iNvid02

Defunkled said:
I love this game but the rubber-banding is FUCKING ridiculous. I'm on the "King of the Road" Duel and I've tried to beat it at least 20 times. No matter how good I am, the other car just rubber-bands to the front. One time, he had TWO HEAD-ON COLLISIONS and still caught up to me, even though I had a perfect run and hadn't even touched a guard rail.

thats the veyron one right? i got it on my 2nd try, first attempt was just like yours, ,the AI managed to catch up and win when there was like 1 mile left.

stay ahead if possible, dont crash, use nitrous wisely BUT if he catches up/goes ahead which he probably will you gotta slipstream and pretty much get past him. i used the veyron but try ccxr

crispyben

Defunkled said:

Reposting:

What I did was choose the car I felt was the better drifter for hairpins (the Koenigsegg for me). In the first highway section, keep up with him, maybe even get ahead of him if you can. Then there's an abrupt transition to the mountain road, try not to lose him there. He will screw up in one of the first three hairpins, guaranteed, and that's your cue. Get ahead of him, then try to keep him behind by cutting him off. Still, he will pass you in that turn before you have the caves on the left. Follow him as closely as you can, then after the next big turn to the right when you drift, boost as much as you can and use the shortcut on the right. If you don't exit it ahead of him, it's too late, start again. If you do get ahead of him at this point, you can beat him by preventing him from drifting on the inside of turns, i.e. doing it yourself. He will bump you and try to push you out of the way, so you will need a bit of luck. After the last hairpin, boost to leave him in the dust, but be careful of that treacherous last bend!

Defunkled

iNvidious01 said:
thats the veyron one right? i got it on my 2nd try, first attempt was just like yours, ,the AI managed to catch up and win when there was like 1 mile left.

stay ahead if possible, dont crash, use nitrous wisely BUT if he catches up/goes ahead which he probably will you gotta slipstream and pretty much get past him. i used the veyron but try ccxr

crispyben said:
Reposting:

What I did was choose the car I felt was the better drifter for hairpins (the Koenigsegg for me). In the first highway section, keep up with him, maybe even get ahead of him if you can. Then there's an abrupt transition to the mountain road, try not to lose him there. He will screw up in one of the first three hairpins, guaranteed, and that's your cue. Get ahead of him, then try to keep him behind by cutting him off. Still, he will pass you in that turn before you have the caves on the left. Follow him as closely as you can, then after the next big turn to the right when you drift, boost as much as you can and use the shortcut on the right. If you don't exit it ahead of him, it's too late, start again. If you do get ahead of him at this point, you can beat him by preventing him from drifting on the inside of turns, i.e. doing it yourself. He will bump you and try to push you out of the way, so you will need a bit of luck. After the last hairpin, boost to leave him in the dust, but be careful of that treacherous last bend!

Just beat it. Thanks for the help guys!

Top Bottom