• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

Have any NFS sales data been released yet, i keep reading in the Twisted Metal thread that sales were poor but I can't seem to see or find any news information to back this up.
I'd be totally gutted for Criterion if the sales sucked, Autolog has gotten me and my friends trash talking each other and its never happened before since we all moved to different parts around the country

BTW, the crash into cops right after they are revealed technique has made so many hot pursuits easy to finish and reduce early damage ... :D

Beezy

magnificent83 said:
BTW, the crash into cops right after they are revealed technique has made so many hot pursuits easy to finish and reduce early damage ... :D
I did that for the first time earlier today in a Bentley gauntlet event. Way too funny.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
isamu said:
Is it true that the drifting in this game is very similar to OutRun 2's drifting? If so, can you explain why?

Goldrusher said:
The entire game feels a lot like Outrun (basic gameplay & racing), mixed with some Burnout (crashes, takedowns) and NFS (cops, special abilities).

Oneself said:
Mostly because countersteering pretty much doesn't exist. It's still more realistic and feels more natural than Outrun 2 though.
In fact, to my surprise, it works pretty well.

Tap the gaz (or tap the brakes) and you start drifting. Once you're drifting, you control the drift from left to right...

Edit:beaten badly. I must say, the game feels like a mix of Outrun/Arcade Cruisn USA/Burnout 3 & Chase HQ. Overall, it's fucking awesome:lol

twinturbo2 said:
I think it's more like Ridge Racer, but with some actual weight to the cars.

no no NOOOO!!!!!!! must...not...listen....MMmmust....resist!!!!!

Dammit dammit dammit.....I want to buy the game guys, but....but.....but....those ANNOYING ass in-game cutscenes...:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Coming to Steam....

http://twitter.com/#!/NeedforSpeed/status/11851654034882560

NHale

magnificent83 said:
Have any NFS sales data been released yet, i keep reading in the Twisted Metal thread that sales were poor but I can't seem to see or find any news information to back this up.
I'd be totally gutted for Criterion if the sales sucked, Autolog has gotten me and my friends trash talking each other and its never happened before since we all moved to different parts around the country

Unless I missed some EA press release, I believe the only info available is from some European countries and while I wouldn't classified the sales as poor, it's not performing as well as it should.

glaurung

The game entered the UK chart in the third position and fell sharply to 6th, now 7th.

I think it did below average numbers in terms of units moved, but overall still a weak entry. I hope this does not mean we will get less DLC or updates.

The game continues to deliver, I am about two thirds through the careers now and the hyper series is really heating up.

I also saw the last race on the map and hot damn, that looks like one crazy endurance event.

USF

PS3 untouched

pic.jpg

pic.jpg

pic.jpg

Hawk SE

Beat this game 100% last night. Also, somehow NFS lined up with my gamerscore. So once I got 1000/1000G, it rolled me over to 60000G as well.

204380713.jpg

204380715.jpg

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hawk xSx said:
Beat this game 100% last night. Also, somehow NFS lined up with my gamerscore. So once I got 1000/1000G, it rolled me over to 60000G as well.

204380713.jpg

204380715.jpg

Now you must preserve that by never ever getting another achievement, you know what you must do...

Oneself

Isamu, get the damn game already :lol

The cutscenes are there for you not be annoyed by a boring loading screen, once the race starts, you'll forget about the cutscenes believe me.

I just got the game yesterday but hardly anybody I know is playing it. If there is a Gaf community for the 360 can you guys add me my gamertag is "requiescat" thanks

Hawk SE

Corky said:
Now you must preserve that by never ever getting another achievement, you know what you must do...

I know...I want to just "prestige" it. But I'll find something to break it. I bought Shadowrun for $1 the other day, might play that. Maybe at 100,000G i'll retire it (not in a million gamerscore)

VenusandBacchus said:
I just got the game yesterday but hardly anybody I know is playing it. If there is a Gaf community for the 360 can you guys add me my gamertag is "requiescat" thanks

Friend Request sent. I may not be on to play MP anytime soon, but you'll have all my times to compete with.

VenusandBacchus said:

There seems to be more playing on PS3 than 360 on GAF, but there are a few guys here to add. I sent you a request also.

Man, going back to the Cop campaign after getting tired of the bullshit in the Racer campaign is like a breath of fresh air.

ISH is so easy and you feel like a total badass.

Westonian

Beat the last Hot Pursuit in the racer career. Calm Before the Storm can go to hell and rot in eternal misery. And you know the rubber banding is ridiculous when my Gold effort was nearly 20 seconds slower than my Bronze. The last mile of that bastard is pure luck.

Now just the Gold on Seacrest Tour, the 40+ mile marathon race. There is no way it can be as infuriating as the last two Hot Pursuits.

Ballistik

As for rubberbanding, I saw NONE of it on the last Seacrest tour event. I was ahead by about 40 seconds for the last half of the race.

Edit: I'm 360, I got a lot of good times. Will play this online until I consistently win races. >_> GT: EC Ballistik

DasRaven

BPK said:
For people who bought both this and GT5...which are you enjoying more?

I've come to the resolution that while GT5 and HP both deal with cars, they are the difference between an RPG and an FPS. One is a great adventure in development and exploration, one is about the visceral thrill of the singular event. And depending on which experience you have time and preference for, one would be enjoyed more than the other.

In my case, my time is limited and HP is much more enjoyable. With a wheel and hours everyday to perfect approaches, apexes, and tuning, my feelings would be different.

Thankfully, we have both available so people can take their pick!

isamu

Oneself said:
Isamu, get the damn game already :lol

The cutscenes are there for you not be annoyed by a boring loading screen, once the race starts, you'll forget about the cutscenes believe me.

I'm referring to the in-game brief cut-scenes that break away from the racing action whenever you do something like crash a barrier or make a big jump. Those are the types of cut-scenes that are off putting to me. Is there no way to press a button to skip these once they engage?

Gowans

BPK said:
Thats not really a fair comparison, totally different games and genres, I struggled with GT5 then played this and had a complete blast, really love this game.

Would be interesting to hear from people who went the other way.

isamu

Man oh man, those in-game cutscenes.....if it weren't for those I'd seriously give Hot Pursuit a gander and buy it. Perhaps when it hits steam the temptation.

mm04

I couldn't resist and bought the PC version from Amazon today. I hope I like it. I was never a fan of the previous iterations of NFS, but I do like Criterion games, so that's a plus.

Any tips from the folks who own this on PC as far as settings etc?

isamu said:
I'm referring to the in-game brief cut-scenes that break away from the racing action whenever you do something like crash a barrier or make a big jump. Those are the types of cut-scenes that are off putting to me. Is there no way to press a button to skip these once they engage?
Nope. Criterion's had the same issue with all their other games. Unfortunately, it's the only trick they have to hide the possible issues after the crash. Basically, it's there so that if your car was placed in a bad direction after taking someone out, you can be resetted in a decent place.

BPK said:
This game all the way, but I agree with Gowans007, it's not a fair comparison. This game is more arcady, more ADD game, distilling racing and combat to it's core; whereas GT5 is a tribute to everything that is racing.

I know that if I sit down with it more, I'd enjoy GT5, but this game is instant gratification and made for much shorter sessions.

shagg_187 said:
I'd disagree too. I get the feeling that the 360 is just as populated with this game, especially with the online quick match. It's been a breeze to find matches. I haven't tossed my gamertag out cause my list is full (100 MAX? FU MS!).

dreamfall

I've been playing a lot of this game recently and I have a question- when a racer crashes head on with a police car, do they get automatically busted if their car doesn't flip? I've been having some issues in trying to figure out how to bust people. If someone hits a roadblock without crashing (the crazy crash animation), is it possible to just stop in front of their car and bust them? Sometimes I'll wait after a car hits a roadblock and then they'll respawn ahead of me!

I absolutely love the game- just some minor annoyances!

I can't believe the price dropping already, I thought this game was a sure fire hit. How does the PC version run? I might jump when it hits steam.

No_Style

wind_steaker said:
I can't believe the price dropping already, I thought this game was a sure fire hit. How does the PC version run? I might jump when it hits steam.

I'm also curious about the PC version. It's either the PS3 or the PC version for me. Are there lots of PC GAF folks who I can add for AutoLog purposes here?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom

this game is so good

I tried free ride mode and it's pretty nice. I like to pick an exotic car and just cruise.

A++

KaYotiX

Banned
LOVE the game!! I usually play it for 2-3 hrs a night before bed. I just got Distinctions on all the cop races :D Not as hard as i thought it would be. Now i have just a few more for the racers and then it will be time to grind to lvl 20 on each side :p

Oh and online is a blast

Westonian

Nnnnnnooooooooo!

Put in the game tonight to finish getting the last racer career gold. The game locked up while trying to connect to the autolog servers. "No problem," I think to myself, "I'll just reboot the PS3."

"Hmm, that's weird. Why am I seeing the Shift 2 trailer again? Why am I getting the autolog tutorial again?"

And then it hits me. My save file is corrupted and I lost everything. Autolog saved my best times, but everything else was gone. Every medal, distinction, unlocked car, rank and bounty. Gone.

Ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuu...

Kccitystar

This game has given me the most fun I've had all year in the short time I've played it since going for a Platinum in Burnout Paradise.

What do you know, it's made by the same development team.

<3 Criterion, you will ALWAYS have my wallet.

isamu

For those of you asking about the PC version, it's now supposedly coming to Steam....

http://twitter.com/#!/NeedforSpeed/status/11851654034882560

That's definitely an incentive for me to get it, along with a new PC patch supposedly coming soon as well. Awesome.

Those annoying in-game cutscenes are the only thing holding me back at the moment :( :( :( :(

DasRaven

I doubt the concern over the price drops is warranted. The game was available day one for $40 most places. Besides, EA has done similar things in the past. Sell the base game for comparatively little to bring up the attach rate, then make it back plus more on the DLC. Those "time saver" have a great return on investment you know.

Top Bottom