• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

btkadams

regs said:
OK I'm sorry guys but I hate this game. I played it most of the day today and all yesterday. I got the learning curve down and the game just isn't fun to me. Even invited my friend over who planning on picking this up and he is totally turned off by it.

Cars handle like dump trucks, if I wanted this type of frustration I'd do calculus :lol

I'm sending the game to EA's warranty dept so I can get a sealed copy back to return.

sorry guys just had to vent.
this scares me as i've asked for this game for christmas. just so i get a better idea, did you like the burnout series?

egocrata

Banned
Don't pay attention to the hatters. The game is really, really good. I love Burnout, but this feels sooooo much tighter and muscular is not even funny.

It is a great, great game. Best NFS in ages.

regs

btkadams said:
this scares me as i've asked for this game for christmas. just so i get a better idea, did you like the burnout series?

Love burnout, been playing it since the first one on ps2. That's actually the biggest reason I got this game was criterion was making it.

Game seems to be a love/hate type of game. Also I would LOVE it if this game controlled like the burnout series. Having to restart a race 20 seconds into it because you keep getting pulled into the wall just kills whatever fun for me.

KaYotiX

Banned
regs said:
Love burnout, been playing it since the first one on ps2. That's actually the biggest reason I got this game was criterion was making it.

Game seems to be a love/hate type of game. Also I would LOVE it if this game controlled like the burnout series. Having to restart a race 20 seconds into it because you keep getting pulled into the wall just kills whatever fun for me.

pulled into the wall?? maybe you need to learn how to drift around corners.

iNvid02

yeah it is a love hate kinda game. as soon as i played the demo i knew i was gonna buy this, for me its a fuckton o' fun. the demo is offline now so you cant use that to test it out either

KaYotiX

Banned
for those that dont know, tap the brake to start a drift around corners. i know some ppl dont realize this and its a must at higher lvls.

Teknoman

After unlocking more cars, all of them seem to handle differently, but not to the point where I cant take corners perfectly at decent speeds. Chargers and that one BMW (the first you unlock, forget the name) kinda suck at taking high speed corners, but everything else seems to handle fine.

KaYotiX said:
for those that dont know, tap the brake to start a drift around corners. i know some ppl dont realize this and its a must at higher lvls.

I've just been tapping e-brake, seems to work nicely as well.

regs

KaYotiX said:
pulled into the wall?? maybe you need to learn how to drift around corners.

I got the drifting down. I was referring to the oversteer and the complete lack of understeer. Fucking garbage to me. Took me hours to figure out not to hold the drift button down :lol

I am honestly giving the game more grief than it deserves. I think I am just so disappointed by it. I am going to still continue playing it to see if it changes things up for me.

DasRaven

hobdal said:
Anyone know if the premium DLC is out for this tomorrow? I noticed that there are 11 new achievements showing up.

The premium DLC isn't expected until next week's updates. Maybe the patch delivers the goods (along with the 3 free). Then you can pay for the unlock key next week.
That's how Forza did it. A free sample car with all the game model components (so everyone can see them in MP), then a paid unlock key to actually use it.

Yeah, after the patch you can see the "Super Sports Pack" events on the right side of the map in career mode, although all of them are locked.

Allegedly the patch added support for Logitech wheels to the PS3 version also. Can't confirm as I don't actually own one. :(

japtor

regs said:
I got the drifting down. I was referring to the oversteer and the complete lack of understeer. Fucking garbage to me. Took me hours to figure out not to hold the drift button down :lol

I am honestly giving the game more grief than it deserves. I think I am just so disappointed by it. I am going to still continue playing it to see if it changes things up for me.
...were you just holding down the handbrake or something?
Curufinwe said:
It works, but it's overkill for most turns.
Yeah it takes off a big chunk of your speed and you don't usually need it. I only hit it if I'm going way too fast into a tight turn, it's kind of ridiculous how much you can compensate for screw ups with it.

Also you don't actually even need to brake to start a drift, just lift off and get back on the gas.

iNvid02

TURNING CORNERS FOR NOOBS

1. 99% of the time you should be using the L2 brake (hold time depending on how tight the corner is)
2. When approaching super tight corners hold L2 early on to be on the safe side
3. Only use the square E-brake if your coming in too fast or if L2 drifting is taking you towards a barrier
4. Keep your finger on acceleration as well as brake, but for super tight corners let go of R2 for a sec and then get back on it
5. Always stay in the right hand lane, traffic sometimes does SURPRISE BITCH and you'll crash
6. If you know there is no traffic cut in as close as possible to inside lane to overtake others
7. Hit nitrous as soon as you exit to get back up to speed quickly

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
iNvidious01 said:
TURNING CORNERS FOR NOOBS

1. 99% of the time you should be using the L2 brake (hold time depending on how tight the corner is)
2. When approaching super tight corners hold L2 early on to be on the safe side
3. Only use the square E-brake if your coming in too fast or if L2 drifting is taking you towards a barrier
4. Keep your finger on acceleration as well as brake, but for super tight corners let go of R2 for a sec and then get back on it
5. Always stay in the right hand lane, traffic sometimes does SURPRISE BITCH and you'll crash
6. If you know there is no traffic cut in as close as possible to inside lane to overtake others
7. Hit nitrous as soon as you exit to get back up to speed quickly

Wow. This honestly and really does sound exactly like OutRun 2 drift mechanics! Almost like they blatantly ripped off OutRun 2's physics and handling. Is this is a fair assumption? Please say yes, as I'm an OR2 whore :D

japtor

isamu said:
Wow. This honestly and really does sound exactly like OutRun 2 drift mechanics! Almost like they blatantly ripped off OutRun 2's physics and handling. Is this is a fair assumption? Please say yes, as I'm an OR2 whore :D
I haven't played OR2 in a while but it's similar enough that once I figured out drifting in here, it reminded me of OR2. I think the main difference is that the cars feel weightier (with slightly varying handling characteristics), but the general mechanic is the same, while the handbrake adds another little dimension to it. If you can get used to the weight you might like it I guess.

chris121580

I really can't get enough of this game. Online play is so much fun. It never gets old. One of the best games of the year in my opinion.

NFSHP is a great game, the best "Burnout" since Burnout 3, I think. But the cars have a ridiculous amount of sway while you're driving. You can't actually just drive in a straight line! I also think there's a bit of "pull" towards the rails when you're driving close. It doesn't really matter during most races, but it can make Rapid Response all the more frustrating when you scrape a guardrail because of it.

regs

adamsappel said:
I also think there's a bit of "pull" towards the rails when you're driving close. It doesn't really matter during most races, but it can make Rapid Response all the more frustrating when you scrape a guardrail because of it.

This is what was pissing me off so much lol

Circle T

regs said:
This is what was pissing me off so much lol
Same here. After playing for quite a while, I've come to realize that the game isn't so much about becoming a better driver to go faster, you just have to learn how to NOT let the game fuck you as bad.

The game seems to have about 1,000 ways to make you crash. There is a definite pull towards the walls when you are close. This is worsened when you come off the wall, since the amount of steering needed to correct it often times then throws you to the other side of the road when you are released from the wall's magnetic field.

The game also seems to know when you are doing well, and will often throw 2 cars on the road ahead of you. And it just so happens that they will be passing each other when you get near them, clogging the road up as much as they can. This is usually around a blind turn, or in very narrow parts of the road. The game is basically saying "Hey, you're doing pretty well, SUCK ON THIS!!!"

And, as others discussed earlier, I get the reason for needing a LITTLE bit of rubberbanding AI, but this game is just over the top with it. In the regular street races, you might as well not even worry about getting the lead until the last mile or so, as it does you no good. One time I EMP'd another racer, which slightly spun him out, and as I came up on him and hit him, the crash threw him over the railing. This put me in 2nd place..... for literally about 4 seconds, at which point the car that I JUST CRASHED THE SHIT OUT OF came flying back past me, and actually took over 1st place. Um, ok. So I guess I just wasted that EMP, since it really did nothing.

And yes, the "Rapid Response" events are just terrible. The entire rest of the game is all about driving fast, crashing, using your weapons, wrecking the other cars, etc. But in these races, it is the exact opposite. Touch anything, and you are penalized. It just isn't fun, and is counter to what the rest of the game is about. I would have rather they just made the times harder to beat, and not give you penalties. Or, give me a meter showing total "Cost to State", and if that is filled up before the finish, you lose. A slight bump of a wall giving a 2 second penalty in a NFS/Burnout game is just stupid.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Is it a mistake/waste to use boost while drifting in the corner?
it can hold your speed, but you are best served to hit boost just as you are coming out of the turn...or try to boost through the turn without sliding to keep your grip.

Hey guys!

I'm a member of the NFS marketing team (online marketing, community engagement, that kind of thing), so I can answer some of the questions you guys have and respond to feedback.

I also have a direct line to the devs and game producers for the games, so I can feed the particularly interesting questions or widespread demands with them.

I'm not going to share anything that would cause me to lose my job, and I can only share knowledge I'm actually privy to (so when they tell me the PC version isn't getting DLC because of issues with resource management, that's all I can pass on to you guys), but otherwise I'm here to help.

I'll also be around in other threads just chatting about games. I'm a long-time lurker, I know the rules and the social norms around here. You won't see me shilling, attacking competing games or being patronizing, don't worry. :lol

EDIT: Oh, and I will actually be doing other kinds of work during the day, so if I don't get back to your questions right away, don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. :D

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
AlanzTalon said:
it can hold your speed, but you are best served to hit boost just as you are coming out of the turn...or try to boost through the turn without sliding to keep your grip.

Thanks!

DasRaven

The Antitype said:
Hey guys!

I'm a member of the NFS marketing team (online marketing, community engagement, that kind of thing), so I can answer some of the questions you guys have and respond to feedback.

If you're legit, expect to be equally inundated with questions and crucified by critics.
I'll start, "Any hope for Ferrari joining the fun?" and "Please no more Rapid Response/Time Trial events in any future DLC."

DasRaven said:
If you're legit, expect to be equally inundated with questions and crucified by critics.
I'll start, "Any hope for Ferrari joining the fun?" and "Please no more Rapid Response/Time Trial events in any future DLC."

Ferraris aren't in the game because of licensing issues. I'm not 100% sure, but I think (at the moment) Sony owns the exclusive rights to Ferrari on PS3 (hence they're in GT5) and Microsoft owns exclusive rights on Xbox 360 (that's why they're in Forza and were in PGR).

We got Ferrari DLC into the 360 version of Shift by operating under the umbrella of Microsoft's license agreement. Nothing says we can't do it again, we just need either Microsoft or Sony to get on board.

The problem is that there was huge demand for it in Shift, and then when we provided that DLC, it didn't sell through to expectations (based on the number Shift sales on 360). So chances are you guys are REALLY gonna have to scream for it. And then, you know, actually bother to buy it. :p

As for Rapid Response...the events in the upcoming DLC may have been finalized before it became clear just how unpopular those events are (I know marketing timelines...development timelines are presented to me vaguely at best). If they are in the upcoming DLC, there won't be that many. And they probably won't be in any DLC or updates after that.

The purpose of them in the game are primarily to force players to learn shortcuts, and preview top-end cars before players actually unlock them.

atomsk

Party Pooper
loved the racer side, loved the online, hated the police events (never bothered to finish)

glad to see Criterion doing another point-to-point racer :D

btkadams said:

Why would that scare you? There's like 1000+ positive replies in this thread :lol

I'm just glad they patched in wheel support. I'm still torn as to get it for the PC or consoles though ... my wheel should work for PS3 or PC but I don't have my stereo sound hooked up to my TV from my PC, just an HDMI going straight to the HDTV and the TV sound sucks. (I don't have an HDMI reciever so I can't do a pass-through and I'm not going to buy a 10ft optical cable :lol )

Decisions, decisions .. I don't care 'too' much about DLC ...

/blog

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It can get frustrating when you get on a losing streak online because of bad luck with crazy shit out of your control. But that's just the nature of the game. Put it down and play something else for a while and come back fresh.

Agent X

This might be "water under the bridge" at this point, but one feature that I would have liked in NFS:HP would be if it recognized that you had played some other related games, and unlocked a special vehicle (possibly a reskinned version of an existing car) that you cannot obtain by other means. Burnout Revenge on PS2 had this feature, where it awarded exclusive vehicles if you had previously played Burnout 3: Takedown or Madden NFL 06.

I noticed that NFS:HP did give you a few bounty points as a loyalty reward if you had played Burnout Paradise or Need for Speed: Shift. Although I appreciate that, I believe having an exclusive vehicle or skin would have been a better reward, as it's nice to have a visible item that you can use to represent your loyalty.

Agent X said:
This might be "water under the bridge" at this point, but one feature that I would have liked in NFS:HP would be if it recognized that you had played some other related games, and unlocked a special vehicle (possibly a reskinned version of an existing car) that you cannot obtain by other means. Burnout Revenge on PS2 had this feature, where it awarded exclusive vehicles if you had previously played Burnout 3: Takedown or Madden NFL 06.

I noticed that NFS:HP did give you a few bounty points as a loyalty reward if you had played Burnout Paradise or Need for Speed: Shift. Although I appreciate that, I believe having an exclusive vehicle or skin would have been a better reward, as it's nice to have a visible item that you can use to represent your loyalty.

Yeah, it's probably too late for NFS:HP.

That said, Autolog is planned to be a major part of the NFS series going forward, it's going to be like a connective tissue between all the games, and it's going to evolve as the series progresses. Nothing concrete yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if we started unlocking things based on time/experience/bounty as we track it through Autolog.

I always thought it might be cool to have like a monthly 'Black List' a la Most Wanted. Where you had to complete objectives or have achievements on record from certain games to qualify, and then from there, most bounty or experience earned through NFS games decides placement.

THAT IS NOT A PLANNED FEATURE! LOL. Just an idea I thought up during lunch hour the other day. :lol

The Antitype said:
Hey guys!

I also have a direct line to the devs and game producers for the games, so I can feed the particularly interesting questions or widespread demands with them.

I'm not going to share anything that would cause me to lose my job, and I can only share knowledge I'm actually privy to (so when they tell me the PC version isn't getting DLC because of issues with resource management, that's all I can pass on to you guys), but otherwise I'm here to help.

I'll also be around in other threads just chatting about games. I'm a long-time lurker, I know the rules and the social norms around here. You won't see me shilling, attacking competing games or being patronizing, don't worry. :lol

EDIT: Oh, and I will actually be doing other kinds of work during the day, so if I don't get back to your questions right away, don't worry, I'm not ignoring you. :D

Any word on why the game is so heavy on orchestral chase music and not licensed music from the soundtrack? I've maybe heard five OST tracks during my time with the game (part of this is due to the fact that I got so fed up with the boring orchestral tunes that I couldn't turn off that I just started listening to custom playlists / silencing the in game music altogether).

Furthermore, why are there no female driver models? I know assets require resources and you guys would probably have to spend time implementing UI frontend for the user to choose gender, but it's pretty lame to have such poor gender politics in 2010.

AnonymousNoob said:
Any word on why the game is so heavy on orchestral chase music and not licensed music from the soundtrack? I've maybe heard five OST tracks during my time with the game (part of this is due to the fact that I got so fed up with the boring orchestral tunes that I couldn't turn off that I just started listening to custom playlists / silencing the in game music altogether.

Furthermore, why are there no female driver models? I know assets require resources and you guys would probably have to spend time implementing UI frontend for the user to choose gender, but it's pretty lame to have such poor gender politics in 2010.

You're right. It is pretty lame. I haven't explicitly asked why it was left out, but there was actually a lot of requests for this on the Facebook page the first week after release. So I passed the request on to the devs.

You never know, it might be patched in sometime down the line.

Orchestral music kicks in during police chases for dramatic effect. Using custom soundtracks should override it though...haven't tried it myself.

AnonymousNoob said:
Any word on why the game is so heavy on orchestral chase music and not licensed music from the soundtrack? I've maybe heard five OST tracks during my time with the game (part of this is due to the fact that I got so fed up with the boring orchestral tunes that I couldn't turn off that I just started listening to custom playlists / silencing the in game music altogether).
Soundtrack is around 20+ songs. However, anything involving chases between the two sides switches over the the orchestral tracks for dramatic reasons, or something.

Guileless

Autolog is great, but I wish there were also a more comprehensive leaderboard that could be viewed to give you some greater context. Somebody out there is friends with the best HP player in the world and has no idea that the reason they can't beat his autolog times is that he's the best in the world. I remember marveling at the lap times Japanese guys would put up in Ridge Racer 6.

Or maybe an option to show you what the average time for completion of the event is.

DangerStepp

iNvidious01 said:
yeah it is a love hate kinda game. as soon as i played the demo i knew i was gonna buy this, for me its a fuckton o' fun. the demo is offline now so you cant use that to test it out either
WTF? And during the Holidays? What a strange move.

Teknoman

Oh PS3 GAF, we should make a NFS chatroom (like the Uncharted 2, RDR, and SFIV rooms) for online race organizing, just in case we cant fit any more on our friends list.

egocrata

Banned
Just pass to the guys at Criterion that they just made my fav NFS game since Porsche Unleashed, and that they deserve a raise :).

Anyway, question: any chance that we will see some additions to the free roaming part of the game? I´d love to have random cop encounters when I am cruising around, or random drivers breaking the law when I drive as a cop.

Just random ideas!

Teknoman

The Antitype said:
You're right. It is pretty lame. I haven't explicitly asked why it was left out, but there was actually a lot of requests for this on the Facebook page the first week after release. So I passed the request on to the devs.

You never know, it might be patched in sometime down the line.

Orchestral music kicks in during police chases for dramatic effect. Using custom soundtracks should override it though...haven't tried it myself.

It does. The game is even more awesome with tracks from Tron legacy, Ridge Racer 7, Daytona USA, and that custom soundtrack some members of NeoGAF made for Gran Turismo 5.

Also continued support of the game and free DLC every now and then would be nice ala Burnout Paradise.

Guileless

egocrata said:
Anyway, question: any chance that we will see some additions to the free roaming part of the game? I´d love to have random cop encounters when I am cruising around, or random drivers breaking the law when I drive as a cop.

How about the only way to unlock some uber-exotic car is to find a guy speeding in it in free roam and bust him. Although the map is so massive that might be hard to implement.

Guileless said:
Autolog is great, but I wish there were also a more comprehensive leaderboard that could be viewed to give you some greater context. Somebody out there is friends with the best HP player in the world and has no idea that the reason they can't beat his autolog times is that he's the best in the world. I remember marveling at the lap times Japanese guys would put up in Ridge Racer 6.

Or maybe an option to show you what the average time for completion of the event is.

Design choice. The game is built around social competition, and we wanted to focus on competing with friends specifically. Might be in future iterations of NFS though. Make some noise on the official NFS social channels if you're dying for it and really disagree with the direction though. We'll hear it. So far though, the response to this direction has honestly been overwhelmingly positive.

egocrata said:
Just pass to the guys at Criterion that they just made my fav NFS game since Porsche Unleashed, and that they deserve a raise :).

Will do. :)

egocrata said:

It's not impossible. Nothing to announce right now though. Next DLC in the pipeline is the Super Sports Pack.

Pimpbaa

AnonymousNoob said:

You are part of the problem. Licensed music is the worst thing to happen to racing games.

The Antitype said:
Orchestral music kicks in during police chases for dramatic effect.

And it is friggin great. Hope you guys continue to implement original music in your games. Licensed music cheapens games and makes them feel like some generic half assed EA game.

Pimpbaa

The Antitype said:
Design choice. The game is built around social competition, and we wanted to focus on competing with friends specifically

Steamworks would have helped the PC version so much in this regard.

Top Bottom