• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit |OT| Do you have the Need for Speed?

frogg609

The Antitype said:
The purpose of them in the game are primarily to force players to learn shortcuts, and preview top-end cars before players actually unlock them.

The cars thing I can see, but every time I run one of these, the shortcuts just slow me down, and I tend to hit more, so I just run them straight. Seems sorta jacked.

frogg609 said:
The cars thing I can see, but every time I run one of these, the shortcuts just slow me down, and I tend to hit more, so I just run them straight. Seems sorta jacked.

Most of the off-road shortcuts have a trail dead-center where the dirt is more packed-down (and sometimes tire treads). Follow these to minimize the slowdown of heading off-road. If you can avoid the walls and take the shortcuts properly, then your times will go up.

Teknoman

The Antitype said:
Most of the off-road shortcuts have a trail dead-center where the dirt is more packed-down (and sometimes tire treads). Follow these to minimize the slowdown of heading off-road. If you can avoid the walls and take the shortcuts properly, then your times will go up.

Thanks for the heads up :D

Teknoman said:
Thanks for the heads up :D

Well, when I mean dead-center, I mean center of any given path. Some of those off-road shortcuts branch off into multiple paths, and the center one won't always be the fastest. Explore!

Chances are though, a lot of people here have way better times than I do, cause I've been dividing my time between NFS, Assassin's Creed, and Halo: Reach...don't tell my bosses.

Pimpbaa

The Antitype said:
The game is now available to download on Steam. :)

Yes and other EA titles as well. But i'm talking about steamworks integration for achievements and multiplayer. Games using it always have a massive advantage over other PC multiplayer titles due to this.

Pimpbaa said:
You are part of the problem. Licensed music is the worst thing to happen to racing games.

Wanting to be able to listen to a soundtrack that was part of a game that I paid for, despite having access to a wealth of other music is a pretty reasonable request, I think.

Furthermore, tracks like Benny Benassi feat. Gary Go aren't even available outside of this soundtrack yet.

Pimpbaa

AnonymousNoob said:
Wanting to be able to listen to a soundtrack that was part of a game that I paid for, despite having access to a wealth of other music is a pretty reasonable request, I think.

Furthermore, tracks like Benny Benassi feat. Gary Go aren't even available outside of this soundtrack yet.

Anyone requesting licensed music need to be tarred and feathered. Sometimes I want to turn off the music altogether due to that awful track that plays when you start the game. Then again, ANY song that plays every time is going to get annoying eventually (I used to Paradise City until Burnout Paradise ruined the song for me).

Teknoman

The Antitype said:
Well, when I mean dead-center, I mean center of any given path. Some of those off-road shortcuts branch off into multiple paths, and the center one won't always be the fastest. Explore!

Chances are though, a lot of people here have way better times than I do, cause I've been dividing my time between NFS, Assassin's Creed, and Halo: Reach...don't tell my bosses.

Yeah, there was one for a preview drive at night/rainy weather...was all over the place :lol Cant believe I never noticed the track marks though.

Also was the super sports pack some sort of paid DLC? For some reason I cant do either of the events (wasnt the pack the recent free DLC).

Licensed music does suck at times...but sometimes its done right. NERD's Rock star from SSX3 and Earth, wind, and fire getaway GT4 mix are awesome.

EDIT: Also is there a point to picking cars with a lower top speed/ 0-60 but higher BHP?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Teknoman said:
Oh PS3 GAF, we should make a NFS chatroom (like the Uncharted 2, RDR, and SFIV rooms) for online race organizing, just in case we cant fit any more on our friends list.
Works for me.

Teknoman said:
Yeah, there was one for a preview drive at night/rainy weather...was all over the place :lol Cant believe I never noticed the track marks though.

Also was the super sports pack some sort of paid DLC? For some reason I cant do either of the events (wasnt the pack the recent free DLC).

Licensed music does suck at times...but sometimes its done right. NERD's Rock star from SSX3 and Earth, wind, and fire getaway GT4 mix are awesome.

EDIT: Also is there a point to picking cars with a lower top speed/ 0-60 but higher BHP?

The Super Sports Pack is Paid DLC and will be released/unlocked on the 21st. The Title Update came with three free cars. The Bentley and Lambo convertibles are in the exotic car list, don't know where the Viper is off hand though.

japtor

egocrata said:
Just pass to the guys at Criterion that they just made my fav NFS game since Porsche Unleashed, and that they deserve a raise :).

Anyway, question: any chance that we will see some additions to the free roaming part of the game? I´d love to have random cop encounters when I am cruising around, or random drivers breaking the law when I drive as a cop.

Just random ideas!
This is the main thing I'd want, I was disappointed that free roam had absolutely nothing happening. Glad to see that it's "not impossible"...although that's not exactly the most encouraging phrase either.

edit-one other idea, I want some crappier cars! I want to drive my Mini or some other (relative to supercars) lower end stuff like the WRX and Evo.

edit2-another option would be more old supercars, like Miura (...or the concept car), Countach, EB110, etc.

finally got around to playing this game after getting it for $35 on black friday. holy crap, this is what ive been waiting for since hot pursuit 2 years ago (ps2 version)! definitely worthy of the hot pursuit title. i hope criterion makes hot pursuit 2 next time :D

cantona222

Can somebody answer this concern please:

I can get all the cars and level up to level 20 both as a racer and a cop playing online only. So, is there a significant importance playing the career mode?

Pimpbaa said:
Anyone requesting licensed music need to be tarred and feathered. Sometimes I want to turn off the music altogether due to that awful track that plays when you start the game. Then again, ANY song that plays every time is going to get annoying eventually (I used to Paradise City until Burnout Paradise ruined the song for me).

Options never killed a man, chap.

Teknoman

cantona222 said:

I can get all the cars and level up to level 20 both as a racer and a cop playing online only. So, is there a significant importance playing the career mode?

I guess the only things gained from SP are: beating your friends list times, achievements/trophies, and a better understanding of powerups?

Started playing around thursday, now i'm hooked. My only complaints would be the rubber band ai and the free roam mode being very barebones. The online is great. This game is now amongst the my top 5 for the year, congrats EA/Criterion.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ozgeek said:
What do you expect? All racing games made by Criterion Games have this annoying fancy cutscenses for everything you do. you crash, it shows a crash scene, you notch another car it does the cutscene, you do a bust, it shows the takedown-style cut-scene very similar to burnout.

So basically the police pursuits of NFS:HP is bascially a cut down version of the "Road Rage" event of Burnout series.

What do I expect? I expect Criterion to come to their senses and realize they need to keep that bullshit out of racing games, arcade, action or otherwise. It seriously detracts from the experience and seriously breaks the immersion of the race. It is nothing but an annoying hinderence to the gameplay. Why in the world they feel the need to implement such a retarded feature is beyond me. I don't need to see my car crash into the wall or make a huge jump in some stupid 360 degree Hollywood fashion "action scene" every 10 seconds. That kind of stuff is for 12yr olds.

I say we all boycott all future Criterion racing games until they agree to take this garbage out of their games. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

cantona222 said:

You don't have to play the career to level up, but a majority of the events are fun and challenging (you know, the whole reason many of us play these silly games).

frogg609

Antitype, thanks for the tips. Great to get them from the source.

I have got a Fanatec Wheel coming in the next few days. Was curious if the latest PS3 patch added support for it.

isamu said:
What do I expect? I expect Criterion to come to their senses and realize they need to keep that bullshit out of racing games, arcade, action or otherwise. It seriously detracts from the experience and seriously breaks the immersion of the race. It is nothing but an annoying hinderence to the gameplay. Why in the world they feel the need to implement such a retarded feature is beyond me. I don't need to see my car crash into the wall or make a huge jump in some stupid 360 degree Hollywood fashion "action scene" every 10 seconds. That kind of stuff is for 12yr olds.

I say we all boycott all future Criterion racing games until they agree to take this garbage out of their games. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
The cutscene stuff is masking the delays. Depending on where your last race is, and what location it has loaded, it seems to have variable lengths of loading before it can be skipped. I get the feeling it's either those cinematic, or just a even longer loading screen.

Banes of open world racing tracks.

Some small updates, along with the 3 free cars you guys earned by helping us push youtube views. :D

frogg609 said:
Antitype, thanks for the tips. Great to get them from the source.

I have got a Fanatec Wheel coming in the next few days. Was curious if the latest PS3 patch added support for it.

As far as I know, the only wheels that didn't work on the PS3 were Logitech wheels, and that issue was addressed in the latest title update.

Ok, we're getting some isolated reports that the title update is resetting stats.

So if you haven't downloaded it on Xbox 360 yet, you may want to hold off until we figure out what the hell is going on.

If you have already updated on Xbox 360, please let me know if your stats were reset.

Thanks!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just got the full 1000 achievement pts yesterday and noticed the game didnt get added to my full achievement list on the dashboard. Seems like they added new achievements for the DLC...eh. The DLC isn't even out yet

Pimpbaa said:
Considering how good these guys recaptured the old Need for Speed feel, they should work on a Road Rash game next :D

I would KILL for a new Road Rash by Criterion. I've basically wanted one by them since Burnout 3: Takedown. :lol

Is there some reason I cannot play the Super Sports Pack right now?

I downloaded the v1.1 update an hour ago, played a few other (on-disc) races, but when I go to play any of the events in the Super Sports Pack (the red coloured events in top right), it does a "validating store contents" thing, brings me to the NFS Store, and shows me Super Sports Pack in the NFS Store (which cost "0 Microsoft Points" apparently, but should it not say "Downloaded" if I already have it?).

Anyways. I click that, it brings up the 360 dashboard, it tries to load/process something, does not load it fully, then it goes back to the NFS Store again. It keeps doing this same thing if I keep trying

I am guessing the 280MB v1.1 update I downloaded got corrupted somehow (which will probably mean I got to delete it and reinstall again), although I just wanted to ask am I missing something obvious before I have to download another 280MB of stuff. I am operating under a monthly bandwidth cap, and although it is not a big download, I would rather not have to download again if I did not have to.

DasRaven

Keyser Soze said:
Is there some reason I cannot play the Super Sports Pack right now?

Super Sports Pack doesn't launch until the 21st/22nd, so you don't yet have the unlock key. The engine is trying to verify purchase of the key and failing I'd bet.
The v1.1 update delivered the Bentley, Lamborghini, and Viper convertibles, Logitech wheel support (for the PS3) and new SSP data. But, the SSP stuff won't work until you buy the key.

It occurred to me last night while playing that there's not a Ferrari to be found in this game. What gives? Did they not want their shit blowned up?

DasRaven said:
Super Sports Pack doesn't launch until the 21st/22nd, so you don't yet have the unlock key. The engine is trying to verify purchase of the key and failing I'd bet.
The v1.1 update delivered the Bentley, Lamborghini, and Viper convertibles, Logitech wheel support (for the PS3) and new SSP data. But, the SSP stuff won't work until you buy the key.

Thanks for that. I was not keeping up to date with things, so I was not sure what the update included. Seems a bit silly for Criterion/EA to put events on the map I cannot play though :/

MrCompletely said:
It occurred to me last night while playing that there's not a Ferrari to be found in this game. What gives? Did they not want their shit blowned up?

The Antitype said on the last page that it is due to licensing, Microsoft own the license to do it on 360 (Forza, PGR), Sony own the licence to do it on PS3 (Gran Turismo), and when EA worked out a deal with MS to introduce the cars on the 360 version of NFS: Shift, not a enough people bought the DLC.

Coldsnap

dang, borrowing this game from my friend and it has that stupid online play code. It seems like online is the only way to play this game...

Coldsnap said:
Oh yea. How long is it? Can you get trophies while on trials?

I am not 100% sure, but I think I saw 2 days when I was putting in my code. I believe trophies would still be available. It is just letting you access the online in a different way, so that would not change the way trophies unlocks work.

edit - beaten by super official person

Hey guys, I need some feedback.

We're getting reports through the social channels that PS3 users are feeling a noticeable difference in handling since the update went up. The general consensus from those reporting the issue is that the cars feel 'heavier' and less responsive.

This doesn't make a lick of sense, since there isn't a line of code in the update that has anything to do with car handling, but you never know with 1s and 0s.

Anybody playing the PS3 version feel this change?

Thanks.

iNvid02

salva said:
I have never been much of a racing fan but I'm loving this game. The bad part about it Is that most of the music sucks.

you can have a custom soundtrack, i only know how to do it on ps3 but it should be similar on pc/360 maybe.

first make a playlist on the ps3 xmb with whatever tunes you want (transfer em via usb to your ps3). then press start > audio > soundtrack. it should say game, select the playlist you made.

The Antitype said:
Hey guys, I need some feedback.

We're getting reports through the social channels that PS3 users are feeling a noticeable difference in handling since the update went up. The general consensus from those reporting the issue is that the cars feel 'heavier' and less responsive.

This doesn't make a lick of sense, since there isn't a line of code in the update that has anything to do with car handling, but you never know with 1s and 0s.

Anybody playing the PS3 version feel this change?

Thanks.

I didn't notice a change, no.

saladine1

So I played the PC version at my mates house and he seems to be having some audio problems. Specifically, the engine sounds are so low in volume compared to everything else that it's pretty much unplayable. Installed and uninstalled several times to no avail.
We went back to my house and installed the game on my PC and it did the same thing again.
All sound effects are fine excpet the engine sound's volume level.
I'd like to know what the problem is before I commit to buy the game(retail) for myself.
Is there something i'm missing here?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
saladine1 said:
So I played the PC version at my mates house and he seems to be having some audio problems. Specifically, the engine sounds are so low in volume compared to everything else that it's pretty much unplayable. Installed and uninstalled several times to no avail.
We went back to my house and installed the game on my PC and it did the same thing again.
All sound effects are fine excpet the engine sound's volume level.
I'd like to know what the problem is before I commit to buy the game(retail) for myself.
Is there something i'm missing here?

They are supposedly releasing a PC patch but still no ETA on when it'll arrive. I'm waiting on the patch before I make my decision on whether to by the game or not.

By the way, regarding the engine sounds, doesn't the game provide a way for the user to adjust sound effects separately from the music and voice chatter? Are there individual volume sliders for these?

saladine1

isamu said:
They are supposedly releasing a PC patch but still no ETA on when it'll arrive. I'm waiting on the patch before I make my decision on whether to by the game or not.

By the way, regarding the engine sounds, doesn't the game provide a way for the user to adjust sound effects separately from the music and voice chatter? Are there individual volume sliders for these?
Well, I hope it gets released soon because at the moment, it's ridiculous.

Regarding the effects settings, the game does not have a seperate adjustment for 'engine volume' which is quite strange. You can adjust the music, voice and overall sound effects volume though.

iNvid02

I have actually felt cars being heavier!

Been playing regular races and drifting seems much slower, even with fast Lambos. Might be just imagining things but it wouldn't hurt to check it out.

Also i think we need a new game mode and some more maps =D

I have one request, something that probably cannot be added unfortunately.

Spilt/Sector times.

Why was this not included? Challenging a friend to beat their time is fundamental to the game, why do I have to wait until I cross the line to know how well I've done.

Sure, you can tell if you've had a poor lap (crashing, missed a short-cut) but when I'm within .05 of a time I'm trying to beat I'd like to know where I have lost the time.

/rant

egocrata

Banned
It is me, or the Crown Victoria is by far the best police car in the sports category?

Don't pay attention to the top speed - I have seen it go to 285 kph several times. So it is fast, it is heavy, and it takes damage like a tank. Besides, it seems to freak out people. In any case, I have been using the Crown Vics in multi for awhile I am so much more effective it is not even funny.

And hell, it is the only "real" cop car. I know some states use the Dodge Charger (Connecticut does), but the Ford is the one that looks like a real cop car.

Top Bottom