• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

So say I'm in free roam looking for collectables and I start getting chased by cops and I just stop and get busted, what happens? I loose points? What?

I think you just lose the points you had accrued over the course of the chase (from wrecking cops and chase time) and respawn.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I haven't completed the game but I do agree with GB. I don't know, it feels like it lacks purpose or something if that makes sense. I know Criterion tried to distance themselves from the original, but I feel they could've went more in depth in terms of 'story' and game-play....

BP had no story either, I just enjoyed driving around and finding all the gates and billboards. Is just cruising still fun?

I don't like the idea that you can't race using whatever car you like the best - other than the dedicated races per car, BP let you race with anything. So if I'm a porsche fan, only letting me access a fraction of the races seems a bit backwards.

Himself

I'm disappointed to hear these lukewarm reactions. Does this stem from the fact that the game isn't the Paradise 2 many were expecting? I didn't like Hot Pursuit initially either, but came to love it. I'm hoping Most Wanted is a great game that just isn't what people were expecting it to be. At peat this tempers my expectations a bit. Time to start looking forward to the real Paradise 2, then?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm disappointed to hear these lukewarm reactions. Does this stem from the fact that the game isn't the Paradise 2 many were expecting? I didn't like Hot Pursuit initially either, but came to love it. I'm hoping Most Wanted is a great game that just isn't what people were expecting it to be. At peat this tempers my expectations a bit. Time to start looking forward to the real Paradise 2, then?

it might be that it isn't giving people the same buzz they got when they first played BP. TBH even if this was literally BP2 I don't think people would get the same feeling, because the style of game had already been done.

I guess it depends what you want out of the game. I don't particularly expect to complete a 'career' mode in this or BP, but I expect wandering around and exploring to be fun and rewarding. And I'm worried about the way you're forced to switch cars to complete more than a handful of races. in BP I tend to find favourite cars and stick with them

saladine1

BP had no story either, I just enjoyed driving around and finding all the gates and billboards. Is just cruising still fun?

I don't like the idea that you can't race using whatever car you like the best - other than the dedicated races per car, BP let you race with anything. So if I'm a porsche fan, only letting me access a fraction of the races seems a bit backwards.

Yes, cruising is still fun. There's enough variety in roads and locations to keep you entertained..

Woo-Fu

Banned
it might be that it isn't giving people the same buzz they got when they first played BP. TBH even if this was literally BP2 I don't think people would get the same feeling, because the style of game had already been done.

The world feels dead compared to BP, much less going on, much less to do. It is also far more limited in where you can go and how you can get there. One pixel out of place in this game and it forces a wreck and sticks you back where they wanted you to be.

I find it kind of funny that they keep going out of their way to label these as Criterion games when none of them live up to BP.

quick question for someone that reserved the game at Gamestop, did that just guarantee the limited edition? Any extra codes print on the receipt? I ask because the Gamestop I have it reserved at is not near my job and im not sure i want to bother with it, i might just lose the $5 and grab it during my lunch at the Gamestop or Walmart near my job, im sure the 1st wave is all limited edition, I just want to hit the gym after work and go home to play, id probably spend $5 in gas to get there anyways

Ath

IGN have weighed in with a 9/10.

The 2005 Most Wanted was the last Need for Speed game I actually played for more than 5 minutes come to think of it. Got Shift 2 on Playstation Plus but didn't like it that much. I'm a big fan of Burnout Paradise so I'm quite tempted by this game.

Fox Mulder

Quick and dirty video of the reverb in the tunnels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CN9x31XAAw

I get a hard on every time I drive through here..

I messed myself.

I was seriously disappointed that horizon has no difference in sound when you drive through a tunnel.

I was going to get both originally, but NFS will have to wait until I find a deal on it. Horizon is soo good and I will be playing it for awhile.

Horizon vs Most Wanted may not be a straight comparison but it's one many people will make. Will be interesting to see the sales.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Horizon vs Most Wanted may not be a straight comparison but it's one many people will make. Will be interesting to see the sales.

How many copies has Forza Horizon sold on PS3 and/or PC? For some of us it doesn't matter how good a game is if it is trapped on the only platform that charges for multiplayer.

strafer

So I played some at a friends house last night and holy shit, I admit, I was fairly impressed by the whole thing.

The sense of speed, the controls and the police are pretty tough.

Most of all the engine sounds are pretty fucking amazing, PD needs to take advice from these guys.

I think I'm gonna buy this game.

Gacha-pin

played a couple of hours and I really like it so far. It's not burnout paradise but the races are more fun than in Burnout Paradise. cannot wait for playing multiplayer.

I think somebody ask if you could use RS for gas & break, yes, you can. But you have to hit break for drift, binding gas & break to RS is not a good option.

All those beautiful glossy roads. But where's the rain? lol

For real! The drainage system in this city is non-existent. It's undeniably pretty, though.

I remember the devs of GTA IV talking about how they liked how dawn and dusk made the city look beautiful, so they intentionally made dawn and dusk last longer than they last in real life. I think this is the idea behind the wet roads. I'm not complaining; it really does look nice.

OmegaZero

Wait, what?
The Pocketgamer review is back up, but with no changes.
They must've just posted theirs too early.

Also, this is looking like one of those games that'll review high but get lukewarm impressions.
Can't wait to play it though.

Picked up NFS and AC3 last night. Haven't even touched AC3 yet. NFS is awesome. It's fun to just drive around. Acting civil when you see a cop on the map is a good way not to get into a pursuit as well. Might be considered a weird comparison but this Drive: the game to me. It's less like Burnout than I thought it would be but more like Hot Pursuit than I wanted, yet it's a good amalgam of both. It's just fun. Get it into your hands, do a couple races and think of creative ways to lose cops.

Did you notice any differences between the PS3 and 360 versions?

I wasn't laser focused on looking for differences, but I didn't notice any. I played PS3 for a few hours, but spent most of my time on 360 since they actually remembered to include the online pass (PS3 passes were e-mailed a day later after some pestering) and there were more journalist gamertags to compete with over autolog.

GT loves dem M$ bucks.

EDIT: Told ya.

Seriously?

I wasn't laser focused on looking for differences, but I didn't notice any. I played PS3 for a few hours, but spent most of my time on 360 since they actually remembered to include the online pass (PS3 passes were e-mailed a day later after some pestering) and there were more journalist gamertags to compete with over autolog.

Thanks.

Thanx! listening to this i can really see some issues with the game design..
Still seems like fun, but there are some weird decisions they have made in this game.

Yeah, I'm really bummed about the fact that I can't just jump in my favorite car and do races at various intersections like I could in Paradise.

That is such a perplexing design choice on Criterion's part, I still can't figure out why they'd want to do that.

In Paradise you could basically pick any car and finish the game with it if you wanted to. That is simply not possible with Most Wanted, so I'm forced to drive cars I might not really want to drive at all, simply to see all the races and finish the game.

Foshy

hmm, is autolog cross-platform? do you log into an EA account to store your details, so does that mean you can see other autolog users times, or only those on your PSN account friends list?

and if its PSN limited, will Vita and PS3 share times? eg I play on vita, my son plays on PS3 and we're friends on PSN.

I'm not sure of that. There's no versus cross-play, but I think they said Autolog was shared at Gamescom. If someone playing on PS3 adds me I can check.

had my game reserved at Gamestop but ended up grabbing it at Walmart by my work since you get the limited edition at either store

do you have to do single player to unlock multi player cars or how does that work?

strange. at least they're making progress by releasing something on midnight. :/

Perhaps they had both assassins creed games up in the last update but just kept them hidden until the time was right. It's not the first time they've done stuff like this. (RE6 demo randomly got released on a random non-update day). If the content is actually up, they can change things quite easily on the fly. People were actually preloading it during the week so that would tell me it's probably the case.

Yeah, I'm really bummed about the fact that I can't just jump in my favorite car and do races at various intersections like I could in Paradise.

That is such a perplexing design choice on Criterion's part, I still can't figure out why they'd want to do that.

In Paradise you could basically pick any car and finish the game with it if you wanted to. That is simply not possible with Most Wanted, so I'm forced to drive cars I might not really want to drive at all, simply to see all the races and finish the game.

and you need to earn all your shit again online?.. iii dunno. And getting dropped back to the place where you found the car when you select it?.. WHY?
Maybe i'll even wait for a fleshed out improved version for Wii-U.

jayb

Perhaps they had both assassins creed games up in the last update but just kept them hidden until the time was right. It's not the first time they've done stuff like this. (RE6 demo randomly got released on a random non-update day). If the content is actually up, they can change things quite easily on the fly.

yeah maybe so. However they did it, they need to do it for every release day game - especially for pre-orders. there's not much incentive to pre-order on psn if you have to wait until the store updates to download it... unless you just REALLY want it on your HDD or want the measly $6 PS+ discount.

yeah maybe so. However they did it, they need to do it for every release day game - especially for pre-orders. there's not much incentive to pre-order on psn if you have to wait until the store updates to download it... unless you just REALLY want it on your HDD or want the measly $6 PS+ discount.

Sony always finds a way to disincentivize a purchase.

Top Bottom