• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Actually, I believe it's quite the opposite. Speed Points are earned offline and online on all platforms, and they unlock stuff in both single player and multiplayer at the same time. The difference is that you cannot take your SP cars online in MP, as the progression is distinct.
Okay, then that's what i mean. In BP you had the same cars on- and offline.

Woo-Fu

Banned
And I can take on several police cars but a single traffic car, nooooooo.

:(

Ram another racer or a police car at almost any speed, get rewarded with a takedown. Clip a civilian vehicle at any speed and watch your car get destroyed.

They're fine but i do hate that you have to lose them after each race you win and they appear in

I just let them bust me unless I'm near a quick getaway like the train tracks. The penalty is trivial.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Actually, I believe it's quite the opposite. Speed Points are earned offline and online on all platforms, and they unlock stuff in both single player and multiplayer at the same time. The difference is that you cannot take your SP cars online in MP, as the progression is distinct.

Do you mean that if I play as 'mrklaw' on PS3 and earn points, I can play on vita as 'mrklaw' and get those points too? Do they directly unlock things or do you buy them? I'm trying to work out how close to a cloud save/shared save experience it could be. Ideally it'd sync which gates and billboards I've found too

Edit: this from the kotaku review suggests more just SP

Autolog also uses cloud-saving to let you track your speed points and other accomplishments across multiple platforms. I played a bunch of the game on 360, but now that I want to switch to PC, I could, in theory, just pick up the PC version, sign in, and find my score and victories waiting for me. Even cooler, the fully-featured Vita version supports the same feature, meaning I could play the single-player part of the game on the go and save my achievements. Ditto the iOS/Android portable game, which lets you save up speed points in other races.

Unfortunately, implementation has been mixed for me. My Xbox is synced to some totally random EA account that has nothing to do with my Origin account, likely because at some point I synced it incorrectly on another EA game. There’s no easy way to deactivate or de-link my account without going through customer service, so I’m in the middle of doing that. I’m avoiding using my Kotaku powers because I want to see how this would be for a regular person to do. Furthermore, the Vita version seems unable to sign in to an existing Origin account—it is dead-set on creating a new account, which of course has already gotten me into trouble on Xbox. So, the cloud syncs are a cool idea, but I’ve been having trouble getting it to work so far. Your mileage may vary if you’ve already got your EA accounts all happily linked to your Gamertag and PSN ID.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Goddamn, even Easy races are kicking my ass.

This does not bode well for the future. :(

Rubberband AI, the key to winning is good control/acceleration and no crashes. The only races I've had to tweak for top speed have been the MW races.

The Caterham Superlight races are pretty easy due to that. Great accel/control so you can take it easy through the tight parts where you might otherwise wreck and still catch right back up if you're behind.

You might consider always taking the race that rewards nitrous first, or always taking the Ambush events first.

The traffic is the biggest challenge, game likes to stick all the traffic in chokepoints while there is next to none when you're barreling down a 4-lane.

Does the Vita edition of this lack real crashes? I thought I'd seen some footage where cars just bounced about in the Vita build and didn't even dent or deform.

From what I've seen of the console and PC version, there isn't much of the way of denting there. They've toned down the Burnout trademarks here.

Woo-Fu

Banned
And getting dropped back to the place where you found the car when you select it?.. WHY?

Cars have multiple spawn points. You can jump to any car/any spawn point you've found.
You can jump to any event you've started previously.

The way you actually play the game it doesn't matter where you start after getting busted. Either you're going back to the same event---which you can do instantly, you don't have to drive all the way back---or you're going to a new event which you'd have to drive to anyway.

There are plenty of things that are less than great about the game, this isn't one of them. :)

Anyone find themselves over steering a lot in the Vita version? I'm having trouble coming to grips with the controls because of this. Also the bumper cam blows. Way too low.

Cars have multiple spawn points. You can jump to any car/any spawn point you've found.
You can jump to any event you've started previously.

The way you actually play the game it doesn't matter where you start after getting busted. Either you're going back to the same event---which you can do instantly, you don't have to drive all the way back---or you're going to a new event which you'd have to drive to anyway.

There are plenty of things that are less than great about the game, this isn't one of them. :)
Hmn, that's not how they put it on gametrailers. Good to hear. Thanx

U2NUMB

About an hour in.. not sure what to think just yet but anyone else getting a nasty headache from this game? I have never had this issue before but something about how it runs is killing my eyes. 360 version here.

I captured some video of it and it certainly is not smooth at all and has that hickup thing happen once in a while.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
About an hour in.. not sure what to think just yet but anyone else getting a nasty headache from this game? I have never had this issue before but something about how it runs is killing my eyes. 360 version here.

I captured some video of it and it certainly is not smooth at all and has that hickup thing happen once in a while.

Link it. I may be getting it on PS3 and would hate those issues.

So what's the deal with the split between Single and Multiplayer?

I'd accumulated about 50k points and Speed Level 3 in Single Player, then noticed it said I was not connected to Autolog.

Connected, and now I'm back to Speed level 1 with 0 points.

I thought both modes used the same points, and it was just progression that was different?

Famassu

It looks pretty good. And yes I noticed the wet reflections! The iPad3 houses the same GPU as the Vita, but Vita is a dedicated gaming machine with like 4x less the pixels to push, yet it doesn't have *some* graphical features that, by the iOS video above, should be more than capable of handling!

I know I know. One is a open world game, the other isn't. One is still better graphically overall (Vita version) than the other. But I swear I do not understand how can those Vita shadows be so low res. I'd prefer no shadows over that eyesore. Clearly EA couldn't be bothered much by the Vita release. The Vita could do more than this. Maybe not much more, but it could do a bit.
Yes, clearly EA (or, rather, Criterion) didn't bother at all with the Vita version. I mean, it's not like the Vita version is the exact same game as the console versions (open-world, graphics somewhat downgraded but it's still clearly a game of the same generation), something that almost never happens with portable versions. And it actually has more content than the console versions. So... yeah, they clearly didn't bother at all with the Vita version.

Friend of mine is expecting the game to be sold in Holland tomorrow. He works at a electronics store btw. Don't know if I should bite though. Impressions are a mixed bag
Loved Hot Pursuit but didn't really like BP. Decisions, decisions :/

So where do you change the music? In audio options it says "change playlist" but there's no actual menu for doing so, I can only choose between "shuffle" and "sequential". Wasn't the game supposed to have custom soundtracks, too? PC here.

VanWinkle

Game is soooo fun. Loving it so far. Here's a short video I took of the Vita version. No sound because I forgot to turn the microphone on but will post another with sound soon.

Here.

Yes, clearly EA (or, rather, Criterion) didn't bother at all with the Vita version. I mean, it's not like the Vita version is the exact same game as the console versions (open-world, graphics somewhat downgraded but it's still clearly a game of the same generation), something that almost never happens with portable versions. And it actually has more content than the console versions. So... yeah, they clearly didn't bother at all with the Vita version.

The fact the only thing I can criticize about the game is its graphics just shows the rest of the game is well crafted. I definitely give them credit for that. As a user well into mobile/computer graphics and mainly a PC gamer I just take interest in these things. By no means I wanted to say I think Criterion has done a poor job on the game. Come to think of it... Actually being the team that made the Vita version, and considering they may not have had an increase in team size despite working on 4 platforms, one definitely different from the others, in the end I come to realize they've done a lot, and probably as much as they could with a reduced team size for the Vita version. Some little details still bother me because I feel the Vita can do more. It must be, apart from the PC, the platform that simply isn't used to its highest. PC has Battlefields and Crysis, consoles have their own exclusives pushing out the absolute best. Wii has had Mario Galaxy, the 3DS doesn't have much graphical punch but like the Wii, I'm sure 1st party titles will push it to the max. The Vita seems to suffer from titles that were not dedicated to in 100%. It sort of hurts. Because games like Most Wanted show it can deliver experiences as full-featured as the home-console versions. Yet, they never seem to be as good, because publishers never give Vita versions 100% in their budgets/development. They mainly lack visually. And some things like really, really jarring shadows take away from what the Vita is trying to achieve, showing it can be just as good as a home console. And for that, it needs feature parity, and visual parity. It's not as powerful as a PS3, but with a little more support behind this particular game, I'm sure it could've looked even better. I'll put EA at fault here, maybe even Sony because it's their handheld, but I'm sure Criterion did their best.

It only bothers me because the rest of the game seems so good. If I thought it'd turn out a bad Vita game, I wouldn't even be bothered with this. It bothers me because I'd like it to be as good visually as it is in terms of content and features.

In all honesty though, if anyone is basing their purchase on the visuals, don't. Burnout Legends was incredible on PSP. Worse graphics sure, not as much destruction, yeah, and 30fps only, but was it as good and as fun as on PS2? Yes it was. The game was there. I'm sure the game will be there like in PS3/360/PC too. If the game itself is making you consider a purchase, then do it. I have faith it'll be AS good as all the other versions.

TheGrue

Game is soooo fun. Loving it so far. Here's a short video I took of the Vita version. No sound because I forgot to turn the microphone on but will post another with sound soon.

Here.

Nice video. Is there an in-car camera view for the game? I hate playing racing games in anything but that view. Watching your video reminded me that I never want to play racing games outside the car.

apesh1t

Banned
As I wait for my copy to ship from NewEgg, I was thinking about picking the IOS port, anyone play it? I only have the 4S and was wondering if it was worth getting.

I'm really digging this game so far. Could be the first big budget game this year that does not underwhelm me in one way or another. Feels like Criterion is making these games just for me.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Vita version is pretty impressive. They really DID manage to deliver the real game on Vita.

All of the cuts come in the form of basically turning down details. Lower traffic density, lack of smoke and dust effects, no motion blur, and likely nips and tucks across the environment.

On the flipside, despite the lower resolution, the image quality is decent and the framerate is pretty consistent. This isn't like the iOS game, which looks great but is an entirely different type of racer, this is actually NFS-Most Wanted in its full form.

I will say that I feel the one mistake they made was attempting to keep all of the realtime shadows in play. Just as in other versions the environment and cars all cast shadows on one another. This is a pretty demanding effect, no? I feel that going with standard baked shadows and increasing resolution and adding post processing (if it were possible) would have been a better trade-off.

Prologue

I watched the gametrailers review. Looks great but I didn't really like how "simple" the races start. I rather races start the way they did in Paradise.

Foshy

Nice video. Is there an in-car camera view for the game? I hate playing racing games in anything but that view. Watching your video reminded me that I never want to play racing games outside the car.
Nope, no in-car view. Honestly, I probably like cockpit view as much as you do, but it wouldn't fit this game.

Nice reading all the feedback here, and seeing a lot of good things said about the game. Waiting on my copy from Amazon, which is delayed due to Sandy. They supposedly shipped it out Sunday night (or at least made a shipping label), but as of today UPS has yet to even get it in it's possession. Tempted to just drive to a store around here and pick it up and then return it once the Amazon copy comes in, but that seems like too much work haha.

VanWinkle

Looks to have the same in-car view as Burnout Paradise. So if you were okay with that, you'll be fine with this one.

Vita version is pretty impressive. They really DID manage to deliver the real game on Vita.

All of the cuts come in the form of basically turning down details. Lower traffic density, lack of smoke and dust effects, no motion blur, and likely nips and tucks across the environment.

On the flipside, despite the lower resolution, the image quality is decent and the framerate is pretty consistent. This isn't like the iOS game, which looks great but is an entirely different type of racer, this is actually NFS-Most Wanted in its full form.

Agreed. Although I think the lighting makes this look better than the mobile game myself, but there's so much more going on that it really is not a comparison.

TheGrue

Looks to have the same in-car view as Burnout Paradise. So if you were okay with that, you'll be fine with this one.

I started searching around and it seems like neither the Vita nor the console versions have a cockpit view. When you say "in-car" view, what do you mean? People seemed to indicate there was a chase cam and a bumper cam (where the camera is taped to the front of the car). I just assumed this game had one from inside the car (cockpit view) and was ready to buy. Can you clarify?

gryz

Banned
just got this on vita as my "free" target game, chose between this and SF VS Tekken. I hope I made the right choice, these origin menus and unskippable intros have me concerned.

Honestly, after playing the Vita version for five minutes, I wish I hadn't bothered with the PC version. This is every bit as good. Maybe not visually, but everything feels like it's there content wise and I can take it on the go.

Top Bottom