• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

friz898

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-need-for-speed-most-wanted-is-burnout-paradise-2

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/11/need-for-speed-most-wanted-is-a-secret-return-to-paradise/

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...t-wanted-preview-the-best-of-nfs-and-burnout/

Can't blame me for being irritated that I was misled by the previews. I'm sure I could find more back when it was previewed around E3 time where they all seemed to be calling it Burnout Paradise 2.

Well damn, you came prepared.

Can't blame me for being irritated that I was misled by the previews. I'm sure I could find more back when it was previewed around E3 time where they all seemed to be calling it Burnout Paradise 2.

Yes, I can still blame you. So someone called it BP2, but from watching one video you can tell that is not the case. The differences are obvious, and frankly your complaints about the AI are ridiculous because what you're describing is exactly how the AI is in Burnout Paradise.

Yes, the game has rubberband AI, just like every arcade racer, but at least it's handled fairly, and it's not god like.

Mairu

Well damn, you came prepared.

I was irritated last night about the game and bored this morning at work :p

157b4a5729b84a2de77c6ffaacb5572c.png

Yes, I can still blame you. So someone called it BP2, but from watching one video you can tell that is not the case. The differences are obvious, and frankly your complaints about the AI are ridiculous because what you're describing is exactly how the AI is in Burnout Paradise.

Yes, the game has rubberband AI, just like every arcade racer, but at least it's handled fairly, and it's not god like.

Well I never said Paradise was perfect, but it probably bothered me less due to the different way cars handle/control in Burnout games vs NFS.

Woo-Fu

Banned
You should listen to people here instead of journalists. This is not BP2 whatsoever.
People here who aren't journalists don't know much about most games in advance of release except through journalists, direct or otherwise. When people here start writing previews based upon early builds provided by the developers we can start listening to them instead of journalists.

Seems that autolog should track your SP and race times, speed camera speeds etc across platforms. Someone on the vita thread specifically mentioned his 360 version showing the SP earned from his earlier vita session.

Not full saves though. Gates and billboards you have to do again, not sure about races completed or cars unlocked

Yep, that was me. Played vita version to about 55k points. Started 360, and my 55k points were there which made the first Most wanted race open after winning my first race to unlock nitro. Kind of funny to think that if I play one version, when I flip to the other version the most wanted races will be open even if I am not ready for it.

Honestly I need to test more exactly what is showing on both systems, not so sure about race times actually. Will report back.

Mairu

In your opinion, is it worth say $30 to somebody who loves Burnout (especially Paradise)?

I can't really answer that yet. I'm going to give the single player another chance and I haven't played the multiplayer yet, but from what I've played it's one of those games where I would've been okay with had I picked it up on sale for $15-20. It's not Burnout and it doesn't feel like Burnout- I hope at some point Criterion makes another Burnout game or even just decides to release "HD" versions of Takedown/Revenge

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't really answer that yet. I'm going to give the single player another chance and I haven't played the multiplayer yet, but from what I've played it's one of those games where I would've been okay with had I picked it up on sale for $15-20. It's not Burnout and it doesn't feel like Burnout- I hope at some point Criterion makes another Burnout game or even just decides to release "HD" versions of Takedown/Revenge
Wait, you DO realize that they did, in fact, release an upgraded version of Revenge for 360 back in 06 right?

matmanx1

Picked up the Vita version today and just played an hour of it. I am loving it. The official cars look and sound pretty good, the handling is spot on and there's a nice sense of speed. I've already found the 911 Carrera S, the Raptor SVT, An Audi A1, the Countach, an M3, a Maserati GT and the Marussia B2 and giggled like a kid everytime I've found a new car.

For a car guy this is far more appealing to me than Burnout Paradise was simply because of the actual licensed vehicles and all of the insane stuff that you can do with them in the game. And the Vita version is not feeling trimmed down to me at all versus the console or PC versions. With what I've played so far I am impressed and more than satisfied with the job that Criterion did.

Shady859

Installing now while watching NBA games...

Rented it today and the guy even gave me the LE code / online pass out of the trash. Can't beat that at $4 for a week hoping it's great and i'll be buying it.

Port it to PC so I can play it in 1080p/60fps/aa/etc/etc :p

The only thing that game is missing is 1080p (as a native resolution). 60fps with very rare dips, and virtually flawless IQ from what I remember from when I owned the game.

With all honesty, still a great looking game today.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Really stupid question.

but how is the handling in this game? more arcade or sim?

to be honest though, I don't see this coming close to Forza H. but just curious..

VanWinkle

My main complaint so far for the Vita version is that the UI elements look like they weren't designed for the Vita. Some parts are blurry (minimap on the HUD and the Most Wanted logo at startup immediately spring to mind), some are way too small, etc. It's frustrating. I hope they patch it up and put in new menus and logos and stuff. Also, why can you not take your picture for the billboards and profile picture? I mean, the Vita is the only version where EVERY player has a camera! It makes no sense!

bigjimmystyle said:
Is the Vita version out? Any reviews?

lol, we've been talking about the Vita version for several pages now. Yes, it's out.

OmegaZero

My main complaint so far for the Vita version is that the UI elements look like they weren't designed for the Vita. Some parts are blurry (minimap on the HUD and the Most Wanted logo at startup immediately spring to mind), some are way too small, etc.

Well, that's because the start screen is a badly compressed movie.

EDIT:
Ha, it appears you have. Thanks for letting me know!

Do people really think it's almost on par with the console versions?

In terms of content, yes.
Graphically, no.
There's less players in multiplayer, and less traffic.

But it's a very close experience despite all that.

MisterC20XX

I nabbed the Vita version today and I love it. Does anyone own both the Vita and PS3 versions? Does all in-game progress carry over between the two?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
dark10x said:
I feel that going with standard baked shadows and increasing resolution and adding post processing (if it were possible) would have been a better trade-off.
Dynamic time-of day, so you can't really use "standard" baked shadows as such.
But even if the time-of day was static, the issue isn't the tech-tradeoffs, it'd be time/manpower tradeoffs to create and maintain multiple content-paths, which for this particular case can be a non-trivial exercise (and we're talking about support for platform that is the farthest removed from lead).

But I'm impressed enough they kept shadows - seeing the lowest setting on PC takes them out completely, and that kind of "optimization" being one of the first things that hit handheld ports in the past.

So long story short... I never knew what reverb or reverberation was. While messing with graphic options while inside a tunnel (because in this game, framerates actually get WORSE inside them), I turned that setting in Audio on and off, and finally understood what it was. I love it.

So I put 2 videos together, because I know GAF loves car and engine sounds.

First one is a simple comparison, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=velGrMUPmro

Second one has 5 cars' engine sounds being tested in closed areas, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thXOPkjCdfM

Here's the deal: As I said, I know Racing-GAF loves cars and all their little sounds, so I'm taking requests to make another video. Choose a car that's in the game, and I'll record its sound. I'll record another 5 cars and upload the video. I can test whatever you want, if you weren't happy with the testing in the video above. This is good because I'll help out if anyone is interested (many people, specially on Europe, still don't have the game), and because I'll have fun trying to find the cars within the world.

Been playing the PS3 version.

I like this game, I really do. It's a lot of fun. But it certainly ain't perfect. For one thing, visually it's a mixed bag. There's a lot of detail in the environments, but the overall fidelity seems pretty low. I swear it doesn't look as good as Burnout Paradise and it certainly doesn't look as good as Hot Pursuit. And it does hitch periodically. It's not a huge deal, it's actually kind of rare, but at one point it hitched when loading up a new song from the soundtrack. Which I eventually turned off anyway, because I found it to be a distraction.

The handling is a bit slippery in the same vein as Hot Pursuit, a game I didn't particularly care for because of that. But it's not so bad here. I feel like I have a lot more control. So that is an improvement. Still prefer Paradise's handling model, though.

But overall, I have similar complaints in the racing that I had with Paradise, though I should say they did improve it here. But it's those damn open city races. I hate that I have to keep glancing down at the map for fear of missing a crucial turn. Which I inevitably end up doing anyway. It helps that they have the huge checkpoint beacons, and I think I may get used to them, but it is going to be an adjustment.

This is a good game. But I can't help but thinking, "Why didn't they just go all the way and make a new Burnout?" Kind of a missed opportunity, imo. But it is still fun.

edit: Oh and there's too many God damn police chases.

First impressions after 3 hours of single player:

+ I love the controls. The cars feel extremely similar to those in Burnout Paradise.
+ It really feels like there's a lot to discover and there's a long career, for lack of a better term, ahead with all the events for all the cars.
+ Circuits/Sprints are fun and easy and I haven't noticed any rubber-banding of CPU cars (though I've only done about 4-5 events).
+ Fairhaven is a well-designed city that will be easily memorized.
+ No penalty if you get busted. This usually leads to me surrendering ASAP after a race. The only drawback is spawning in the car's original jack spot.
+ The map is incredibly useful for setting destinations.
+ The game is very pretty. Lighting is fantastic and the soundtrack is amazing. The day/night cycle is also great.

o Jack spots, billboards and security gates seem kind of bunched together but at least they're not spaced at regular intervals.
o I'm so used to having boost instantly available that it feels weird having to complete events to unlock it.
o If I'm able to evade police pursuit, it's usually in the first minute. Any longer and I can't seem to ever cool down or disappear.
o The Easy Drive menu is very useful but sometimes gets in the way. Restarting events is simple but takes a few moments.
o Traffic doesn't usually pose much of a problem until it absolutely counts. Bouncing off a car right in front of a cop didn't start a pursuit until the cop car t-boned ME.

- Stuttering is very rare but it seems to me that it happens right at the beginning of a race. I appreciate that it tries to cut down on loading times but maybe it could buffer a little more. The only other time I've noticed it was in mid-air after a big jump during a race.

That said, I can't wait to jump into multiplayer and try some FreeDrive stuff. Oh, and twice it's told me a new Most Wanted race is available but I haven't tried one yet.

Duffyside

Banned
"Dispatch!!!" is now the racing game equivalent of "RPG!!!!!" And that's just after one hour of play. I need to turn these cops off, or play on mute, or something.

I certainly grew concerned hearing of framerate problems with this game over the past 24 hours. Particularly shocking considering it was a a criterion game, a development team I consider to be one of the most talented in the world. A developer that doesn't do sloppy work.

So I ended up buying the 360 version today and booting it up with some trepidation of what I was about to experience. About 5 hours later I can say with some certainty that for me this is yet another awesome arcade racing game from Criterion. Possibly even their best depending on personal preferences.

The cars feel just as Criterion said they would. Somewhere between the arcadey feel of Burnout Paradise, and the heavier, more realistic feel of Hot Pursuit. Although I would say they still lean closer to Hot Pursuit than they do Paradise.

The graphics are quite stunning to the eyes of this console only gamer. The day to night lighting in particular is pretty amazing. I'm not sure I've seen better in any game, ever. There is even a minor "weather" factor, where it can become a little hazy, and the streets can be wet or dry. Those elements help to keep the world feeling alive. Things are always in motion.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way they couldn't get the framerate locked in as they have in all their previous games. So yes, there are some drops, but I would argue that only the most stringent framerate whore will truly be bothered by it. Installing the game may help smooth things out a bit on 360. I seemed to experience less hitches than my friend did, who was playing from the disc. It would be nice if Criterion could further improve things with an update, but I'm ok with things as is, just barely.

The racing is pretty much classic Criterion. You've got chaotic AI, that always keeps things interesting. Sometimes they'll crash spectacularly, and right before the finish line. Sometimes they'll race a clean race, but they'll always manage to keep things exciting, because you just never know what they're gonna do. This is one of those small things most developers glaze right over, and sometimes even downright screw up. Criterion seems to know how to use rubber band AI better than anyone, and the difficulty always ramps up smoothly.

The multiplayer is very reminiscent of Paradise, so if you were a fan of that its hard to imagine you won't enjoy this. It's a similar structure, but with some improvements.

At the end of the day, I've learned to trust these guys. They know what they're doing when they make a racing game. They know how to entertain. They also know how to surprise. If you're a fan of arcade racers in the least, check it out.

Tawpgun

After I finish ACIII and after I get some sufficient Halo 4 in me, I'm gonna ask if this is active online, and then consider getting it.

Such poor timing with the release.

FStop7

Banned
First impressions of the game are very positive. It does remind me of Paradise, which is a game I didn't enjoy that much. But it also reminds me of Hot Pursuit, which I loved.

It's way more over the top than Horizon, naturally.

I also experienced my first lockup pretty quickly. I crashed into another car at the exact moment I pulled the triggers to activate a race. I don't think the game knew what to do next. Total lockup, had to power off my 360.

AcridMeat

Banned
I am getting sick of open world games using GTA4's heat system for car chases. Why would you make a chance of having cops spawn ahead of the direction you're going towards? It doesn't make it more dynamic or fun, it's just frustrating as hell. The rate at which the heat levels lower is far too slow for how quickly the cars can catch up to you if you're trying to hide.

Venting because I was stuck doing a 13 minute long pursuit.

I am getting sick of open world games using GTA4's heat system for car chases. Why would you make a chance of having cops spawn ahead of the direction you're going towards? It doesn't make it more dynamic or fun, it's just frustrating as hell. The rate at which the heat levels lower is far too slow for how quickly the cars can catch up to you if you're trying to hide.

What's the penalty for getting caught?

Most Wanted (2005) pretty much had the same thing...

Top Bottom