• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

crispyben

Can anybody with the Vita version report on that "you must create a new Origin account" rumor? One review says it won't let you input details for an existing account... Weird.

VanWinkle

I started searching around and it seems like neither the Vita nor the console versions have a cockpit view. When you say "in-car" view, what do you mean? People seemed to indicate there was a chase cam and a bumper cam (where the camera is taped to the front of the car). I just assumed this game had one from inside the car (cockpit view) and was ready to buy. Can you clarify?

Oh, no, it's the bumper cam.

Can anybody with the Vita version report on that "you must create a new Origin account" rumor? One review says it won't let you input details for an existing account... Weird.

My EA account was already logged in when I played somehow (tied to my PSN account maybe?), so I don't know.

Amon37

I love bumper cam I love being able to remove gas/break to left analog stick.

I do wish you could do any event in any car
I fail miserably at medium races don't want to think about hard
If it's cinematic when you crash there should at least be an option for cinematic takedowns

Loving it so far gonna add some gaf players tonight

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Honestly, after playing the Vita version for five minutes, I wish I hadn't bothered with the PC version. This is every bit as good. Maybe not visually, but everything feels like it's there content wise and I can take it on the go.

It feels like a perfect handheld game as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Shit. Urge to double dip rising.

Will we know UK PSN pricing tomorrow? Then if its lol EA like with PS3, I still have time to preorder the retail one for Friday

I picked up th 360 version this morning and can't wait to give it a go. I'm pretty sure that I'll be grabbing the Vita version off of PSN sometime very soon too.

darkwing

Honestly, after playing the Vita version for five minutes, I wish I hadn't bothered with the PC version. This is every bit as good. Maybe not visually, but everything feels like it's there content wise and I can take it on the go.

when I heard Criterion was developing, I dropped the PS3 version, currently downloading in my Vita

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Stuttering during the intro cinematic. Hmm.....,
The video? Which version?

That's one area where the Vita version was 100% smooth. Now, playing a 30 fps video doesn't seem like a big deal, but so many PC games struggle to do this properly.

Anyone else noticing the sound levels are really low? Just playing Hot Pursuit last night and that game is mega loud on 15 via my stereo. This game was downright quiet at 15, and even after turning all the in game sound options up to their max, I still had to turn it up to 17 to about equal Hot Pursuit at 15.

It's also a little odd how using boost doesn't really offer up an audio cue that it's being used. I think it has a sound effect associated with it, but it's very subtle.

The video? Which version?

That's one area where the Vita version was 100% smooth. Now, playing a 30 fps video doesn't seem like a big deal, but so many PC games struggle to do this properly.

360 version installed. The cinematic intro where they show various shots of the city with slow pans. It wasn't stuttering like mad, but there were definitely little stutters happening throughout.

OmegaZero

So, graphically, Most Wanted Vita looks nice. Not impressive, but not terrible.
Criterion managed to squeeze in image-based lighting so the cars you drive look great. But other cars seem use much less detailed models, with simplistic lighting and polygons.

All of the alpha effects are low resolution, like Uncharted. Sparks, dust, glare, ect. The effects in general are toned down.
Pop in is everywhere in the distance, and occasionally happens a bit closer, but it's not that distracting.

It seems to display at a mostly locked 30fps, but I keep thinking it runs at slightly less for some reason. Maybe I'll discover why as I play.

My thoughts on gameplay and ect will come later.

gryz

Banned
So, graphically, Most Wanted Vita looks nice. Not impressive, but not terrible.
Criterion managed to squeeze in image-based lighting so the cars you drive look great. But other cars seem use much less detailed models, with simplistic lighting and polygons.

All of the alpha effects are low resolution, like Uncharted. Sparks, dust, glare, ect. The effects in general are toned down.
Pop in is everywhere in the distance, and occasionally happens a bit closer, but it's not that distracting.

It seems to display at a mostly locked 30fps, but I keep thinking it runs at slightly less for some reason. Maybe I'll discover why as I play.

My thoughts on gameplay and ect will come later.

are you surprised that the graphics aren't as good as the PC version? the vita graphics seem pretty incredible to me.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
are you surprised that the graphics aren't as good as the PC version? the vita graphics seem pretty incredible to me.

Everything I've seen points to that too. I've watched the video and all the screenshots don't really do it justice. Like almost every Vita game on the OLED.

I chose to buy that today so I'm downloading it now.

I feel this way.

PC graphics are good but not blowing my mind and I have everything on max. While the Vita looks a lot better than some had said.

ReconPeon

Hey for those of you with the vita version, is there any way to switch which buttons do what?

I absolutely hate mashing the right trigger for gas.

friz898

I have seen it asked a few times, and I'm trying to keep up with the pc performance thread, review thread, and OT thread, but geez. That's a lot of reading.

I am having a tough time deciding between the PC port which people are complaining about framerate, yet it'd still definitely be an upgrade to a console version. Or the Vita version, which cant compare with the PC version, but well I really love my Vita.

The actual question: Is there any kind of cloud feature where I can bounce the same account or save file between both the Vita version and the PC? Any benefit what so ever to having this game on two platforms or would I basically be playing the same career mode twice. (With the few small race differences the Vita has)

Anybody who can give a definite answer on this, thanks.

I have seen it asked a few times, and I'm trying to keep up with the pc performance thread, review thread, and OT thread, but geez. That's a lot of reading.

I am having a tough time deciding between the PC port which people are complaining about framerate, yet it'd still definitely be an upgrade to a console version. Or the Vita version, which cant compare with the PC version, but well I really love my Vita.

The actual question: Is there any kind of cloud feature where I can bounce the same account or save file between both the Vita version and the PC? Any benefit what so ever to having this game on two platforms or would I basically be playing the same career mode twice. (With the few small race differences the Vita has)

I think you can only do that between PS3 and Vita. It's the reason I went with that combo over the PC.

U2NUMB

Captured some gameplay.. certainly is growing on me..

This race was super intense. Shows off cops getting involved and some awesome jumps. Was in the Nissan GTR for this race

http://youtu.be/ik-0lWQTkAc

This video shows off the Lamborghini Gallardo driving to an event and then the race itself.

http://youtu.be/Mn81GBlLGAU

You can notice 2 times right off the bat in the second video where the screen freezes for just a split second. Really is annoying as it seems to be random but happens more often when in tunnels.

Anyways the game is starting to grown on me big time.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Seems that autolog should track your SP and race times, speed camera speeds etc across platforms. Someone on the vita thread specifically mentioned his 360 version showing the SP earned from his earlier vita session.

Not full saves though. Gates and billboards you have to do again, not sure about races completed or cars unlocked

friz898

Seems that autolog should track your SP and race times, speed camera speeds etc across platforms. Someone on the vita thread specifically mentioned his 360 version showing the SP earned from his earlier vita session.

Not full saves though. Gates and billboards you have to do again, not sure about races completed or cars unlocked

Thanks. I can't believe there wasn't an interview or dev comment discussing this somewhere.

OmegaZero

Surprised? Not at all.
I just wanted to throw out my impressions of the visuals for people considering getting the Vita version. I didn't intend to sound negative, really. To me, Most Wanted Vita looks quite nice.

Mairu

To elaborate - anyone calling this "Burnout Paradise 2" doesn't deserve to write about racing games. The only similarity they share is that they are both open world racing games. The handling is different (as described by many people in the thread, cars feel much heavier and more realistic), the setup for switching cars and competing in races is poor (switching cars forces you to switch to the location where you found them, each race is specific to a car), there is very little variety to the single player missions, there's no takedown cams, the rubber band AI is frustrating, and it doesn't seem like there is all that much content to single player. I played for less than an hour and with multiple restarts in a few races I managed to complete "10%" of the single player. I'm very disappointed and regretting pre-ordering the game.

I also really hate the excessive bloom and lens flares.

To elaborate - anyone calling this "Burnout Paradise 2" doesn't deserve to write about racing games. The only similarity they share is that they are both open world racing games. The handling is different (as described by many people in the thread, cars feel much heavier and more realistic), the setup for switching cars and competing in races is poor (switching cars forces you to switch to the location where you found them, each race is specific to a car), there is very little variety to the single player missions, there's no takedown cams, the rubber band AI is frustrating, and it doesn't seem like there is all that much content to single player. I played for less than an hour and with multiple restarts in a few races I managed to complete "10%" of the single player. I'm very disappointed and regretting pre-ordering the game.

Can you elaborate more on this please?

As someone who was infuriated by the rubber-band AI in Hot Pursuit, I'm still on the fence about this one simply due to the cheating AI BS.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
2012-10-30-1924556odp4.jpg

2012-10-30-192729njiqd.jpg

2012-10-30-193524zke3a.jpg

2012-10-30-193653pedlj.jpg

2012-10-30-19382637e54.jpg

PART 1 CROSS POST 3 lol

KaYotiX

Banned
OMFG this game is awesome!! With Horizons and this out I wont need another racing game till new consoles. The multiplayer is just so well done and so damn fun

I need to try the Vita version out too

Mairu

Can you elaborate more on this please?

As someone who was infuriated by the rubber-band AI in Hot Pursuit, I'm still on the fence about this one simply due to the cheating AI BS.

I got extremely frustrated last night because it felt like the first 70-90% of the race didn't even matter. Get an early lead? Doesn't matter because if you fuck up near the end they'll zoom past you. Crash in the beginning? That's okay! You've got the whole race to spend zigzagging with the other cars.

I got extremely frustrated last night because it felt like the first 70-90% of the race didn't even matter. Get an early lead? Doesn't matter because if you fuck up near the end they'll zoom past you. Crash in the beginning? That's okay! You've got the whole race to spend zigzagging with the other cars.

Shit.
Was really hoping they'd have learned from their mistakes with Hot Pursuit.

Lots of opinions there.

No, this is not Burnout Paradise 2, but no one should ever think it was going to be. It has lots of influences of that game, but it's still a Need for Speed game.

Ugh, you're joking.. ffs

Mairu

Lots of opinions there.

No, this is not Burnout Paradise 2, but no one should ever think it was going to be. It has lots of influences of that game, but it's still a Need for Speed game.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/06/e3-2012-need-for-speed-most-wanted-is-burnout-paradise-2
Shit Journalist from IGN said:
No matter what the Need for Speed name means to you, Most Wanted is Burnout Paradise with police.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/11/need-for-speed-most-wanted-is-a-secret-return-to-paradise/
Shit Journalist from Joystiq said:
Need for Speed: Most Wanted is an open-world racer in a beautiful city... In other words, it's Burnout Paradise 2.
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...t-wanted-preview-the-best-of-nfs-and-burnout/
Shit Journalist from CVG said:
Taking place in an open-world playground crammed full of challenges, collectables and sweeping races that span as wide as the city that hosts them, this reboot is in fact Burnout Paradise 2 in pretty much everything but name.
Can't blame me for being irritated that I was misled by the previews. I'm sure I could find more back when it was previewed around E3 time where they all seemed to be calling it Burnout Paradise 2.

Top Bottom