• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted |OT| Return to Paradise

Duffyside

Banned
Saying that this game should've been a Burnout instead is in no way facetious, or snide. This game would be vastly improved with cars with more character, with more color (gates yellow, billboards red, cars able to be more than just five plain colors, etc), with better crashes (every time I have to see a crash replay, I get madder than the last -- they're not cool to look at, so why even bother?), no annoying cops all over the place, and some sort of crash mode.

Yeah, this game is bumming me out. I trusted Criterion after doubting them twice in a row (Paradise and Hot Pursuit) and seeing that my skepticism was wrong in the end. But not this time.

Man. Paradise was truly incredible.

bridegur

Still loving it, my only complaint is really more of a wish, and that's wanting to see Criterion make some more interesting, bolder choices with environments. Otherwise, I feel like I'm going to be playing this for a long time. It's nearly perfect.

Saying that this game should've been a Burnout instead is in no way facetious, or snide. This game would be vastly improved with cars with more character, with more color (gates yellow, billboards red, cars able to be more than just five plain colors, etc), with better crashes (every time I have to see a crash replay, I get madder than the last -- they're not cool to look at, so why even bother?), no annoying cops all over the place, and some sort of crash mode.

Yeah, this game is bumming me out. I trusted Criterion after doubting them twice in a row (Paradise and Hot Pursuit) and seeing that my skepticism was wrong in the end. But not this time.

Yep. Some people say it's too much like paradise. I'd almost say it isn't enoiugh like paradise.
Although i like the licensed cars and cops.

enderep12

Neo Member
Really love this game so far... Only thing I'm REALLY annoyed off are those freaking infodisplays mid race...

I imagine the devs sitting around a table, thinking about where to put them and one guy (fire him!!) said: "Uhm, yeah, uhm, guys, we should put the takedown notes right in the middle of the screen, so players won't see oncoming traffic while they're going +100kph through a city."

Seriously why?

This. Fairly disappointed as this so far is a less appealing version of BP to me. Hoping mp can save it but I've bad internet where I live and it keeps booting me out so far :(

Hzoltan69

The biggest disappointment in this game for me is the choice of cameras. No cockpit or hood cam. Seriously? How am I supposed to drive? Bumper cam is really terrible and unnatural being so close to the road and I'm not even going to comment on using chase cam in a racing game...

Thrakier

Paradise was ok and the old Burnout games surely were creat. Hot Pursuit however was boring as fuck.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The biggest disappointment in this game for me is the choice of cameras. No cockpit or hood cam. Seriously? How am I supposed to drive? Bumper cam is really terrible and unnatural being so close to the road and I'm not even going to comment on using chase cam in a racing game...

its not a serious racing game though. chase cam was fine in BP - providing the camera is handled in a similar way it should be ok in this too.

saladine1

its not really a racing game though

It's not?

Edit- The game doesn't have to be a serious racer in order for it to feature a hood view. Previous NFS had them, why not here?

Anyway, no hood view is a fucking SIN, there's no two ways about it..

Well, the PC performance problems are giving me second thoughts on whether getting this day one or waiting for a patch. With such a MP focused game the who knows if there will still be a considerable amount of people online when (if) the patch hits. Such a shame...

darkwing

loving it on the Vita, it even has the red hot rims effect when you burn out your tires lol, there's nothing like a quick race when you are waiting for something

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's not?

Edit- The game doesn't have to be a serious racer in order for it to feature a hood view. Previous NFS had them, why not here?

Anyway, no hood view is a fucking SIN, there's no two ways about it..

i agree, no hood view is shameful. I hate bumper cam, its much too low. Only having two choices is unacceptable

Ceebs

Got to play a bit of this. I think I fall somewhere between "I don't like this" and "I kinda hate this"

The handling feels way too stiff to me which compounded with the fact there is so much traffic makes getting around more difficult than it should be in an arcade racer. Also what gives with the traffic? A it seems a slight clip and you are crashed. It is beyond frustrating.

The glare from the sun is maybe the worst thing I have ever seen. The shitty dust filter combined with the glare obscuring pretty much your entire view makes it a crap shoot as to if you are going to hit anything.

The city is pretty boring too. It all feels very samey.

All this game really does for me is makes me mad that we can't we get another Burnout. The handling was perfect in Paradise. You could pick up the controller and make the car do exactly what you wanted without having to babysit your drifts to take even a mild corner at speed.

I'm definitely starting to see where the singleplayer is lackluster. The progression is just kind of unrewarding and dry. Also a little confusing.
I'm still having a lot of fun, but it's a bit disappointing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The glare from the sun is maybe the worst thing I have ever seen. The shitty dust filter combined with the glare obscuring pretty much your entire view makes it a crap shoot as to if you are going to hit anything.
The lack of this effect on Vita almost serves as a positive change, actually. I tend to enjoy those "dust filters" but I'm not sure it has a place in a high speed racing game as it only serves to distract the player while whipping around corners.

dark10x

Dynamic time-of day, so you can't really use "standard" baked shadows as such.
But even if the time-of day was static, the issue isn't the tech-tradeoffs, it'd be time/manpower tradeoffs to create and maintain multiple content-paths, which for this particular case can be a non-trivial exercise (and we're talking about support for platform that is the farthest removed from lead).

But I'm impressed enough they kept shadows - seeing the lowest setting on PC takes them out completely, and that kind of "optimization" being one of the first things that hit handheld ports in the past.
Yeah, I spoke too quickly, using baked shadows would have required a lot of additional time and effort while introducing a fork in the development. I'd imagine that the Vita version was kept in line with the other versions in order to make for easier development and that's actually pretty neat that it was possible to do so.

The visuals are detailed, though, so it's really a damn shame they couldn't hit native resolution.

Loving the game so far. My god those exhaust sounds when going through a tunnel are enough to make me giddy. Really hoping they patch the PC a bit just to smooth out some of the FPS hiccups but otherwise it is great!

Wanny

Well, the PC performance problems are giving me second thoughts on whether getting this day one or waiting for a patch. With such a MP focused game the who knows if there will still be a considerable amount of people online when (if) the patch hits. Such a shame...

Sure you can wait when we have some 12 players awesome fun over here. ;)

most fun ive had with a game in a while, played for almost 5hrs straight and i never do that anymore. SP was fun but the MP is a really good time, crazy over the top fun, didnt even care if i won or not. the game looks good, sounds good and once u get used to the controls they are pretty damn good.

All this game really does for me is makes me mad that we can't we get another Burnout. The handling was perfect in Paradise. You could pick up the controller and make the car do exactly what you wanted without having to babysit your drifts to take even a mild corner at speed.

You're going to get another Burnout on the next consoles.

The lack of this effect on Vita almost serves as a positive change, actually. I tend to enjoy those "dust filters" but I'm not sure it has a place in a high speed racing game as it only serves to distract the player while whipping around corners.

I think the lighting and screen filters are my favorite aspect of the visuals. I love the effects in the Modern Warfare games too. It just adds to the immersion IMO.

dark10x

This thread has convinced me to go out and buy Burnout Paradise. Never played it, but I thought Revenge was great.
I know Paradise is getting a lot of love and it IS a good game, but I'll be honest with you, after Burnout 3 and Revenge I actually found it wildly disappointing.

The fact is, those games (especially Revenge) focused on delivering excellent multi-layered tracks that were exciting and fun to learn. Paradise, as an open city, doesn't really feature tracks so much as route through the city and I felt that those routes never reached the highs set by the tracks in Revenge. Furthermore, I always found it a little too easy to miss a turn and wind up ruining the race simply because it wasn't clear where to go next.

At launch, the game lacked the ability to restart events even which prevented one from really learning a race and performing better. If you wanted to race again you had to drive back to the start.

After a lot of patches and content additions, Paradise definitely improved and has grown on me a lot, but the initial release of the game and my expectations based on previous Burnout titles left me cold.

friz898

Yep, that was me. Played vita version to about 55k points. Started 360, and my 55k points were there which made the first Most wanted race open after winning my first race to unlock nitro. Kind of funny to think that if I play one version, when I flip to the other version the most wanted races will be open even if I am not ready for it.

Honestly I need to test more exactly what is showing on both systems, not so sure about race times actually. Will report back.

I havent got past this message yet to see if you added more or someone else expounded on this, but please do let me know. I have never double-dipped before and it seems like a sin. (Except for remakes with time passage such as DQ7 psx/3ds) but I really am considering it for this game. I almost did it for MLB '112 vita/ps3.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
games should be smart and not show the screen unless a move is connected. Although from sony's point of view its probably free advertising

You can connect a Move while a game is already running tho. They would need to show those screens (which really are not that annoying if you know how to fast forward them) whenever a Move is connected. Not sure if that's a better solution since you would be exposed to those screen every time you turn off and back on the device (for whatever reason).

peetfeet

This thread has convinced me to go out and buy Burnout Paradise. Never played it, but I thought Revenge was great.

Don't expect a great singleplayer (though the gates/billboards etc are a great distraction) but the multiplayer is simply glorious with a bunch of friends, pretty much the only reason I pre-ordered MW is the multiplayer with my mates.

It's a shame you can't play as cops in MW but who says you won't be able to in the future? Paradise had the Cops and Robbers DLC after all....

Don't expect a great singleplayer (though the gates/billboards etc are a great distraction) but the multiplayer is simply glorious with a bunch of friends, pretty much the only reason I pre-ordered MW is the multiplayer with my mates.

I think the single player was fantastic fun.

What racing game do you think does have a good single player mode?

peetfeet

I think the single player was fantastic fun.

What racing game do you think does have a good single player mode?

None tbh, it's just that Paradise's singleplayer isn't really apparent when you first start because of the open world engine of the game.

I tend to steer clear of racing games on the whole and only bought it originally because it was on Sale on the PSN store with all DLC. And very cheap. Multiplayer was just so fun that i ended up getting the Platinum and all the other trophies too. I still play regularly now.

Kurdel

Banned
Reading some impressions on the Vita version, I was really hyped.

The scope of the game is stunning, but the jaggies are horrible. I mean, I am loving the game, but it was really too ambitious for the platform.

Marco1

I was really hoping for BO paradise 2 but it seems we didn't get it.
Thanks guys for the mini reviews but this is going back when the postie drops it through.

suikodan

Being a Burnout Paradise fan, I waited for this game to come out.

Bought it on Vita and I like it. I've added my name to the PSN list!

I love how it brings out who's better than you.

dark10x

Reading some impressions on the Vita version, I was really hyped.

The scope of the game is stunning, but the jaggies are horrible. I mean, I am loving the game, but it was really too ambitious for the platform.
I kind of agree. The results are very impressive but I feel the game could have looked better than this if the scope hadn't been so ambitious.

Imagine if they went for Burnout Revenge style visuals at native resolution and 60 fps. I'm sure they could pull something like that off with proper tracks.

54-46!

I was hoping that this would be the game for me this year but after reading reactions from Paradise fans I don't see myself picking this up before a price drop..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I kind of agree. The results are very impressive but I feel the game could have looked better than this if the scope hadn't been so ambitious.

Imagine if they went for Burnout Revenge style visuals at native resolution and 60 fps. I'm sure they could pull something like that off with proper tracks.

and then people would have been complaining that its a cheap cash-in and not a 'proper' NFS game

I agree though. Lack of native res games is really frustrating. I paid more for my vita because it has a high res screen, and the only thing that really takes advantage of it is the fucking bubbles on the home screens. Its more useful for PSP games than actual vita ones.

Top Bottom